London 2012 Olympic Media Updates

Panama's Olympic coverage on TV will be represented by once again Medcom's RPC Canal 4 for the 2012 London Olympics, something that channel has been done since Mexico City 1968. Medcom radio also will play a role.

www.olympic.org/media?articleid=132352&articlenewsgroup=-1

Canadiansports' media blog just started a subsection called Road To London 2012 to let principally Canadian TV viewers aware of upcoming news and TV schedules of Olympic coverage and events in the lead of to the London 2012 Olympics broadcast in Canada. This will get constant update treatment over the coming months and restarts next spring. He has yet to include all the news from CTV, or it's more likely he will keep that coverage news as separate. He adds the latest news and thoughts on how the CTV/Rogers Sportsnet/TSN Olympic sportscasters are doing right now in their present assignments while taking a trip down memory lane of CBC's final Olympic coverage to date with Beijing.

Something tells me that NBC Sports Network, still Versus at this writing until early next year, will actually take the pre-Opening Ceremony preliminary group men's and women's soccer matches from MSNBC after that network had that honor since Sydney, possibly airing two per day if not more. Both days' games will involves Team USA in them. I still think we will have Olympic Soccer and Basketball Channels for London though. I'm curious if Telemundo could expand their Spanish language coverage by adding those preliminary soccer games AND air both ceremonies in Spanish.

Click on the University of Portsmouth BBC media link now:

http://www.aboutmyarea.co.uk/Hampshire/Portsmouth/PO6/News/Local-News/203050-BBC-Recruits-Portsmouth-Students-for-Big-Screen-Olympic-Games-Coverage

BBC gets ready for massive domestic British viewership numbers. Expect it to be around, if not above, the 80% plateau with the mainstream BBC TV coverage on BBC 1. Like the track unis for Team GB, better than the last one for Beijing, as I said they were "rather blah". Use the Union Jack more.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/8659558/London-2012-Olympics-BBC-braced-for-mammoth-viewing-figures.html

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The BBC yesterday announced they will extend BBC3's broadcasting hours (usually that starts at 7pm) and launch an extra radio station - 5 Live Olympics Extra, for the duration of the games, along with confirming multiple live streams online covering all events.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/rogermosey/2011/08/i_was_surprised_to_read.html

Also rumours today the BBC are looking to share rights for 2016 with either ITV or C4 for the first time since 1988.

The proper link for news about Panama's Medacom getting the 2012 London Olympic broadcast rights.

http://www.olympic.org/media?articleid=132352&articlenewsgroup=-1

Hopefully for London, NBC will give love to ALL the Olympic sports and make sure it gets televised at least once. If you noticed NBC's Beijing 2008 Olympic TV/online schedule compared to NBC's Athens 2004 Olympics TV schedule, NBC omitted judo, sailing, and taekwondo from television. It didn't plan to cover them on TV, according to Wikipedia. Was it because it couldn't get announcing teams for them in time for Beijing? Was it also due to not having any bonafide and notable American contenders in those events? Also, Bravo wasn't involved in Beijing, which could've saved those three sports. That's unfortunate because if you have paid massive amounts of money and have the TV networks to air them, even for events, we're not powers in, you are, I strongly feel, are obligated to air them somewhere on TV, not solely online. That's just me.

We still don't know how the TV hours will be allotted among NBC Sports Network, MSNBC, USA (though I do hear stuff of that network getting out of sports altogether, let's hope not, especially for the Olympics), CNBC, Telemundo, and Oxygen--Universal Sports is excluded in this because it's not fully owned by Comcast-NBC. Not certain if Oxygen is officially is on board, but I do think it will again for gymnastics and equestrian at least. Ebersol did say there will be a 100 TV hour increase among the cable channels, but that was before the acquisition of Versus and the Comcast-NBC merger. Because of this, it will be curious when it's unvieled; it may be an increase because of NBC Sports, but I also do believe its presence will lift the burden off MSNBC and CNBC and shift some of those hours to it. Does it have plans to cover the Cultural Olympiad like the BBC is. Hopefully, if it's either online or on the TV networks, it will air the pre-Opening Ceremony festivities (I'd say likely and exclusively online). Will Telemundo expand its Spanish coverage even more so? Gonna be very interesting. Also, I do expect many of those NBC sent to Beijing will return for London, something I will discuss as we get closer to the date.

Hopefully for London, NBC will give love to ALL the Olympic sports and make sure it gets televised at least once. If you noticed NBC's Beijing 2008 Olympic TV/online schedule compared to NBC's Athens 2004 Olympics TV schedule, NBC omitted judo, sailing, and taekwondo from television. It didn't plan to cover them on TV, according to Wikipedia. Was it because it couldn't get announcing teams for them in time for Beijing? Was it also due to not having any bonafide and notable American contenders in those events? Also, Bravo wasn't involved in Beijing, which could've saved those three sports. That's unfortunate because if you have paid massive amounts of money and have the TV networks to air them, even for events, we're not powers in, you are, I strongly feel, are obligated to air them somewhere on TV, not solely online. That's just me.

I would imagine that fans of sports like judo or sailing were more than content with complete online coverage of every session of their sport even without a few token hours of television coverage thrown in wherever. Somehow I doubt it was an issue of getting people in place for that (obviously it wasn't for Athens and remember most of the smaller sports for Beijing had announcers calling events off monitors in New York) but more a conscious decision not to allot any TV time for them since they've be covered online. Bravo probably didn't make much of a difference either since most of those hours were simply shifted to other networks like USA and Oxygen. Seems to me this is no different than any other country.. I can't imagine most other host broadcasters are making a concerted effort to show every sport on television, especially if they're committed to showing the whole of the competition online anyway.

Aside from the Vancouver Olympics, USA Network hasn't had any sports coverage since it dropped U.S. Open tennis after the 2008 tournament. NBC has typically used USA Network as "the home of Team USA," so the network's coverage has focused on U.S. games in team sports like basketball and soccer. I assume CNBC will continue to air boxing like it has in the last 3 Olympics. I think most of the USA Network daytime coverage will move to NBC Sports Network since USA had a much more limited role in the 2010 Games compared to 2006 anyway.

For those wanting to see the documentary Building Stratford that was shown in the UK last month, here a link.

Building Stratford

This will download the file(290mb) to your computer. I have tested it and it's fine and of course it will work for everyone ouside the UK.

This really is a must see documentary.

Olympics to be screened live in 3D

(UKPA)

The London 2012 Games will be the first Olympics to be broadcast live in 3D, Panasonic has announced.

A pool of global broadcasters, now standing at 14 but "it will be more in the next few weeks", is being brought on board, director of Olympic Broadcasting Services Manolo Romero said.

They will cover more than 40 venues, opening and closing ceremonies and more than 12 sports, some of which will be covered in 3D for the first time.

For the on-site production Panasonic will provide 3D equipment including camcorders, TV monitors and a technical team for live 3D TV production at London 2012.

It is a tie-up between Panasonic, a worldwide Olympic sponsor, the Olympic Broadcasting Services and the International Olympic Committee.

Describing the move to 3D as "historic", Mr Romero told a technology conference in Berlin: "We believe that this will be the most significant step in the sporting history of broadcasting."

Coverage of the Beijing 2008 Olympics was made in HD, fitting in with the efforts of hi-tech companies to use new technologies at the different Games.

Takumi Kajisha, Panasonic's corporate communications managing director, said: "It is no doubt that the Olympic Games provides the best ever content for the 3D market and 3D will drastically change the way we enjoy the Games in the living room.

"We believe that our partnership will provide a true end-to-end solution for the success of the first 3D live Olympic Games and a great new era for Olympic broadcasting."

UKPA

I know this got mentioned elsewhere, but it's a pretty big London revelation, so figured it belongs here as well...

NBC will show all Olympic events live on TV or streaming video

NBC had pledged that starting in 2014, they would show every Olympic event live. Looks like that's going to happen 2 years early as that's now their plan from London. Don't know how the online coverage will work (or the implications it will have on the TV coverage, although I'm sure it'll be significant), but needless to say, this is big news.

Also announced yesterday.. NBC has named Dick Ebersol as a senior adviser, so he'll be involved with the 2012 Olympics although Jim Bell (currently the executive producer on the Today show, but also an Ebersol protege) will fill Ebersol's shoes at least for London and possible beyond.

Olympics to be screened live in 3D

(UKPA)

The London 2012 Games will be the first Olympics to be broadcast live in 3D, Panasonic has announced.

A pool of global broadcasters, now standing at 14 but "it will be more in the next few weeks", is being brought on board, director of Olympic Broadcasting Services Manolo Romero said.

They will cover more than 40 venues, opening and closing ceremonies and more than 12 sports, some of which will be covered in 3D for the first time.

For the on-site production Panasonic will provide 3D equipment including camcorders, TV monitors and a technical team for live 3D TV production at London 2012.

It is a tie-up between Panasonic, a worldwide Olympic sponsor, the Olympic Broadcasting Services and the International Olympic Committee.

Describing the move to 3D as "historic", Mr Romero told a technology conference in Berlin: "We believe that this will be the most significant step in the sporting history of broadcasting."

Coverage of the Beijing 2008 Olympics was made in HD, fitting in with the efforts of hi-tech companies to use new technologies at the different Games.

Takumi Kajisha, Panasonic's corporate communications managing director, said: "It is no doubt that the Olympic Games provides the best ever content for the 3D market and 3D will drastically change the way we enjoy the Games in the living room.

"We believe that our partnership will provide a true end-to-end solution for the success of the first 3D live Olympic Games and a great new era for Olympic broadcasting."

UKPA

You can best be sure NBC, CTV, BBC, Nine/FOXTEL, ARD/ZDF, SVT, SKY Italia, NHK, TV Record/SporTV, CCTV, SBS, NRK, NOS, PRIME/Sky Sport NZ, YLE/FST5, SABC, and Channel 1 (Russia) are definitely among those that are part of this. I've already speculated on what sports that will be featured earlier on this thread.

An article reporting Jim Bell as the NBC 2012 London Olympics coverage executive producer:

http://www.newsonnews.net/nbc/11448-jim-bell-named-as-executive-producer-of-nbc-s-2012-london-olympics-coverage.html

I would like to see NBC do a run-down on all the gold medals won on each day of competition, from the obscure sports to the glamour ones. I may be mistaken, but I don't think that NBC ever did that. And they should air the run-downs during the prime time show, so each of the 20+ sports gets some prime time coverage. It can't all be fluff pieces and masturbation fodder (so to speak).

I would like to see NBC do a run-down on all the gold medals won on each day of competition, from the obscure sports to the glamour ones. I may be mistaken, but I don't think that NBC ever did that. And they should air the run-downs during the prime time show, so each of the 20+ sports gets some prime time coverage. It can't all be fluff pieces and masturbation fodder (so to speak).

They also show some actual competition on occasion. B)

The problem with that is that it's going to take up a lot of time in the primetime show, so what's the value. It would be nice if they went back to their Athens formula where every sport got at least some coverage on TV (as opposed to Beijing where a few sports were online only), but NBC has no obligation to put every sport in primetime, even if it's just to announce the medal winners. That's what all the cable nets are for. Certainly wouldn't mind seeing NBC do some sort of Sports Desk segment at the end of each night where they recap the big stories/events of the day that weren't heavily covered elsewhere (they've moved away from that in recent Olympics now with all the cable coverage), but we'll have to wait and see how this all plays out in London now that everything will be live.

I'd guess due to the timezones NBC's coverage of London is going to have more parallels with Athens than Beijing. The one thing though you can guarantee is there is no chance NBC will screen swimming or track and field finals live at 2pm in the afternoon, even at the weekend.

I think there's a chance that NBC will show the men's 100m final live. That final should take place between 4-5pm Eastern on Saturday, August 4th. The men's hockey final was the most-watched event in 2010, and it took place on Sunday afternoon. If NBC builds up the event as being live, I think they'll get a lot of people to tune in. Michael Phelps will likely be swimming his last Olympic race shortly before the 100m final, so NBC could get huge ratings by showing both events live.

I think there's a chance that NBC will show the men's 100m final live. That final should take place between 4-5pm Eastern on Saturday, August 4th. The men's hockey final was the most-watched event in 2010, and it took place on Sunday afternoon. If NBC builds up the event as being live, I think they'll get a lot of people to tune in. Michael Phelps will likely be swimming his last Olympic race shortly before the 100m final, so NBC could get huge ratings by showing both events live.

The women's final is that Saturday, but the men's final is on Sunday. I can't seem to find the full breakdown of the athletics schedule (I know I've seen it before), but I know the 100 meter finals on both days are the last event of the evening, so they'll take place around 4:50pm ET. It's possible they could show them live, but the problem NBC runs into on Sunday is that there's not much else they can put in primetime that night and because it's Sunday, that probably makes it a 5 hour show. There's gymnastics that night, but it's just 3 apparatus finals. Otherwise, the schedule is pretty light on primetime material, so they may be inclined to save the track coverage for primetime rather than re-airing it then. I'd like to be proven wrong there because I think NBC would otherwise consider showing it live on a weekend afternoon, but the schedule for that night and the need to fill out 5 hours of programming may prevent that from happening.

The women's final is that Saturday, but the men's final is on Sunday. I can't seem to find the full breakdown of the athletics schedule (I know I've seen it before), but I know the 100 meter finals on both days are the last event of the evening, so they'll take place around 4:50pm ET. It's possible they could show them live, but the problem NBC runs into on Sunday is that there's not much else they can put in primetime that night and because it's Sunday, that probably makes it a 5 hour show. There's gymnastics that night, but it's just 3 apparatus finals. Otherwise, the schedule is pretty light on primetime material, so they may be inclined to save the track coverage for primetime rather than re-airing it then. I'd like to be proven wrong there because I think NBC would otherwise consider showing it live on a weekend afternoon, but the schedule for that night and the need to fill out 5 hours of programming may prevent that from happening.

There are actually 4 apparatus finals in gymnastics on that Sunday, plus the final of the women's 3m springboard in diving. They could show that, plus the other track finals, and of course a re-air of the men's 100m final. They'll probably end up sticking with the usual formula, though, and just show it live online.

Panasonic (with association with the likes of the BBC) announces just over 200 TV hours in total of the 2012 London Summer Olympics will be transmitted in 3D. The BBC will air up to 10 hours per day, but won't interfere with its more firmly entrenched HD coverage though it will air the men's 100m final in 3D, among others.

http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/extra/874276-london-2012-olympics-to-be-broadcast-in-3d-for-10-hours-a-day

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/8733332/London-2012-Olympics-Games-to-be-broadcast-in-3D-for-up-to-10-hours-a-day.html

At this time, the BBC is already putting out all the stops in bringing British media consumers immense coverage of Olympics sports in important qualification and test events for them to cheer on their British athletes like Eurobasket, Olympic Test Regatta, World Judo, World Track and Field, World Rowing, Road Cycling, equestrian, and the European Hockey Championships during August and September in the lead up to London 2012 to them interested in the events. Be it on TV, radio, Red Button, and online.

http://www.touchline.tv/olympics/bbc-coverage-of-olympic-sports-in-build-up-to-2012

Roger Mosey says the BBC prepares to be there at all the venues very early before the competition starts for its 5000 hours of coverage (3000+ of it live) from morning to near midnight. Accomodation could be a challenge, however.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/rogermosey/2011/09/accommodating_the_bbc_in_2012.html

IOC Awards Broadcast Rights In Colombia For London 2012 Olympic Games

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has awarded the terrestrial television and radio broadcast rights in Colombia for the London 2012 Olympic Games to Caracol Televisión S.A. it was announced today. The agreement also includes the terrestrial television and radio broadcast rights in Colombia for the first ever Winter Youth Olympic Games in Innsbruck in January 2012

IOC

IOC Awards Broadcast Rights In Colombia For London 2012 Olympic Games

The International Olympic Committee (IOC) has awarded the terrestrial television and radio broadcast rights in Colombia for the London 2012 Olympic Games to Caracol Televisión S.A. it was announced today. The agreement also includes the terrestrial television and radio broadcast rights in Colombia for the first ever Winter Youth Olympic Games in Innsbruck in January 2012

IOC

Last time it was Caracol, Senal Colombia, and RCN sharing the Beijing Olympic TV coverage.

BBC Sport Director Barbara Slaters says Manchester's new MediaCity in Salford is better equipped to deal with the BBC's Olympics coverage than being in London. If she's talking about things like the horrible traffic that London is notorious for, less congestion, and better amenities there, it can work. Sometimes, it's good not always to have everything in the host city while still having a presence at the IBC.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/sep/28/salford-better-equipped-bbc-olympics

A heads up regarding Rogers Sportsnet, a part of the Canadian Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium of course from Vancouver to London. On Monday starting with the evening Sportsnet Connected, Rogers Sportsnet gets a serious and complete rebranding for the first time since hitting the Canadian sports TV scene 13 years ago as ironically part of CTV's media territory. Everything becomes all-new with a new slogan, new logo, new studios, graphigs, and theme. Rogers will be dropped from the name as will the current logo, which I couldn't really make out except that it looked like a stylized blue "r" with a red circle. I just found out it was supposed to be an athlete in action (the blue) with a red ball. That illustrated how poor the identification and marketing has been to the Canadian public. Looks concindentlly a bit like the Buffalo Bills logo. Perhaps it was in need of a change. The recently acquaired Sentanta World becomes Sportsnet World during this.

Last time it was Caracol, Senal Colombia, and RCN sharing the Beijing Olympic TV coverage.

BBC Sport Director Barbara Slaters says Manchester's new MediaCity in Salford is better equipped to deal with the BBC's Olympics coverage than being in London. If she's talking about things like the horrible traffic that London is notorious for, less congestion, and better amenities there, it can work. Sometimes, it's good not always to have everything in the host city while still having a presence at the IBC.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2011/sep/28/salford-better-equipped-bbc-olympics

What a load of c*nt - maybe the BBC studios should be in Port Stanley??

Ever since I heard a few months ago that Rogers Communications took over ownership of Sentanta Sports and rebranded it as Sportsnet World as part of its rebranding of Rogers Sportsnet, including the FAN 590 AM, I honestly felt tempted to think with Rogers Sportsnet (now officially just Sportsnet since Monday) being in the Canadian Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium that Sportsnet World will acquire some of the London Olympic coverage since the Summer Games are so massive and emulate what SBS did in Athens and Beijing. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

It could still happen with the 5000+ hours it will show, but I don't think it could happen in time enough. Sportsnet World could provide an outlet for the more obscure sports (to Canadians) like handball, judo, taekwondo, table tennis, and sailing. But there's some stuff it is planning to air like cricket that will not make it bother with London.

Also, even with the rebranding, Rogers Sportsnet WILL utilize the Olympic graphics that they used in Vancouver with CTV, TSN, RDS, APTN, OMNI, OLN, and ATN. That must be noted too.

Olympic officials open Technology Operations center for next year’s London Games

LONDON (AP)— Organizers have opened London 2012’s Technology Operations center, a hub that will deliver the results from all the Olympic and Paralympic competitions to the world’s media next summer.

About 450 business technologists will work out of the center, which will control the running of IT systems for all 94 competition and non-competition venues at the games.

Paul Deighton, chief executive of London’s organizing committee, says “technology often goes unnoticed and yet is absolutely critical to our success in 2012.”

Organizers say they expect to process 30 percent more results data than at the Olympics in Beijing in 2008.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/olympic-officials-open-technology-operations-center-for-next-years-london-games/2011/10/09/gIQAKsAbYL_story.html

Archived