Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Citius Altius Fortius

Show your support for München 2018

I thought on of Munich's tactical mistakes was that they'd said they were intending to try again at 2022 if they missed out this time.

Yeah, I had thought of that, too. Although, I thought of it in the sense that if the IOC really wanted PyeongChang that they'd have to grab it this time around. Cuz I highly doubted that the South Koreans would've been able to stomach a 4th consecutive bid.

And apparently, the IOC knew that, too, judging by today's vote. The chances of Munich (& Annecy to a lesser extent) coming back a 2nd time for 2022, were much greater than PyeongChang coming back for a 4th consecutive, exhausting campaign.

Thanks Rols - I thought I will arrive on time on the Marienplatz for munich's presentation, but I talked to long with my cousin at breakfast - and the live stream doesn't work well on my iPhone

Sorry CAF, it could may be harder for Munich, as we were may be more confident than Annecy on this final issue !

Is there real discussions or comments in Germany about a possible new Munich Bid for 2022 ?

Is there real discussions or comments in Germany about a possible new Munich Bid for 2022 ?

just a short answer since I want to go with my cousin to a pool - we have such lovely weather in munich

one major news magazine published an article today with the title

just a short answer since I want to go with my cousin to a pool - we have such lovely weather in munich

Enjoy the sun and the pool !

I'll try to answer on CAF's behalf (since his answer was not complete): Yes, there's a lot of speculation going on right now in Germany that Munich could bid for 2022. The media are full of it.

And I have to say: I strongly support Munich running a second time, although I always thought that Germany should run for the "big ones", the Summer Games, instead. Obviously Munich has built trust within the IOC (although that trust is not exactly reflected in the surprisingly clear result for Pyeongchang and against Munich), and it can build on that trust for 2022, although that is certainly not a guarantee for winning.

If we decided to run for Summer Games instead, we would most certainly have to go through that whole process again: Failure in the first run, and then another four or even more years until we finally get the nod.

I'm longing so badly for Olympic Games in my home country now that I rather take a Munich 2022 bid than having to wait until I'm almost an old man until we get the Summer Games instead.

And I have to say: I strongly support Munich running a second time, although I always thought that Germany should run for the "big ones", the Summer Games, instead. Obviously Munich has built trust within the IOC (although that trust is not exactly reflected in the surprisingly clear result for Pyeongchang and against Munich), and it can build on that trust for 2022, although that is certainly not a guarantee for winning.

I really think you should go for it, because once you break it down, it would be the perfect time to fit Munich. It's obviously going to Europe or the US. And the voting pattern yesterday suggests the IOC thinks it's too early for France (and by extension, Norway), because the Annecy plan was actually very good on its own.

Munich could conceiveably only be competing against the US, Switzerland, Austria or Sweden. Of those, only Sweden has had to wait longer or has gotten it less. But the big trump card I think Munich has is that it offers the perfect contrast to Pyeongchang. A booming metropolis is one thing Sion or Ostersund can't offer (Reno is a little bigger, but nothing compared to Munich). What is better is a matter of preference (and I happen to love the idea of the Games going to smaller places in the mountains), but the reality is that the Winter Games have for the most part been trending towards larger cities. Unless Denver comes into the picture, Munich is the only one who can play this card for 2022. Everything Katarina said yesterday (Germany contributing massively financially towards winter sports) offers the perfect contrast to Pyeongchang and a great safety net if the IOC wants to "replenish" their coffers with just a little more.

I really say go for it.

I'll try to answer on CAF's behalf (since his answer was not complete): Yes, there's a lot of speculation going on right now in Germany that Munich could bid for 2022. The media are full of it.

If we decided to run for Summer Games instead, we would most certainly have to go through that whole process again: Failure in the first run, and then another four or even more years until we finally get the nod.

I'm longing so badly for Olympic Games in my home country now that I rather take a Munich 2022 bid than having to wait until I'm almost an old man until we get the Summer Games instead.

Sorry - I was posting from my iphone and I pushed the wrong button - I even didn't recognised - afterwards I spent with my cousin some time at a very nice lake close to Munich...

Well - yes there are a lot of rumours in Germany, but it is always said that the DOSB wants to analyze the defeat of Munich first...

Well - yes there are a lot of rumours in Germany, but it is always said that the DOSB wants to analyze the defeat of Munich first...

I don't know that there's a lot to analyse - at the end of the day it's quite clear there was an overwhelming sentiment by the IOC that PC had put in the hard yards over 10 years, had done everything the IOC had asked of it, and that it a great opportunity and time to demonstrate the globalism of the Olympics by taking the WOGs beyond North America and Europe for only its third time. EVERYONE knew PC was always the one to beat.

At the end of the day, I suppose 25 votes can be interpreted as both "glass half full" or "glass half empty". Obviously, they would have been hoping to get more first preferences (I think everyone associated would have been targetting mid-30s at least), but it really isn't too bad and disasterous considering the landslide of support PC got. I think probably the big reason for it was that for once the European bids didn't get the support of their fellow European members because the likes of Italy, Spain, Scandinavia etc all had their own eyes on their own chances for 2020 and 2022 and Munich (or Annecy) would have been the worst result for those chances. In that light, having 25 rock-solid first preferences was probably quite a good result considering.

Of course, there's always things in a campaign that could have been done better. I personally think that Munich already hinting at a 2022 return didn't give the likely wider IOC supporters any sense of urgency to vote for it now. Similarly, I always said that the whole kerfuffle with the Garmisch farmers lawsuit, and the referendums, meant the whole bid was in limbo at a crucial time at the end of last year and beginning of this year. I said often at the time that Munich needed to deal with those issues quickly so they could get on with the task of campaigning and lobbying, rather than letting it drag on so long and leae the bid with an air of uncertainty. At the end of the day, it was really only the final 3 or 4 months they were able to start lobbying and marketing in earnest with confidence.

I still think Germany's bst chance is to persist with a Munich winter bid for 2022. I don't think they're geared up and prepared well enough to try with Berlin at a 2020 Summer games with so little time left before the applicant deadline. Munich 2022, though, they've got the foundations in place for a very solid crack at it. Indeed, while it's still too premature to speculate about 2022, and there's no firm clues yet on the likely field, I don't think it would be too foolhardy to say that I'd expect Munich would already be considered a possible favourite for that year.

I think Munich should sit 2022 out. It's too early to come out after a very poor 2nd place showing.

Muncheners, take a long, deep breath, sit out 2022, regroup for 2026, and you'll come out stronger and better!!

I think Munich should sit 2022 out. It's too early to come out after a very poor 2nd place showing.

Muncheners, take a long, deep breath, sit out 2022, regroup for 2026, and you'll come out stronger and better!!

Well someone has to confront the mighty Reno!

;)