Closing Ceremony Livechat

CBC's coverage has ended.

Well the closing ceremony right now is pure music performances and nothing else..kinda dissapointing, i though there would be more artistic performances. And i'm not really paying attention to it now.

Livestream on internet goes on with a lot of fireworks .. and the finishing touch was with the official generic music "jeetoh" from AR Rahman .. The music variables were swithced with modern Indian and western music .. I heard also a song of the group BLUE if I'm not wrong.

But the closings are such more fun and pleasure NOW meanwhile the livesrtream ended too .. Bollywood-music is in general always bloomin' fantastic .. ;)

Bai bai Delhi .. Welcome Glasgow !!

excellent handover in the stadium tonight from glasgow. Obv not as big as delhis but beats hands down manchester and melbournes handovers.

As for london well..... Its easy to sing on top of a pole, have ten people prance around a bus or kick a ball, not so easy to do what the 350 guys did tonight

Well done

excellent handover in the stadium tonight from glasgow. Obv not as big as delhis but beats hands down manchester and melbournes handovers.

As for london well..... Its easy to sing on top of a pole, have ten people prance around a bus or kick a ball, not so easy to do what the 350 guys did tonight

Well done

Never saw the Manchester handover in 1998 although i remember something about the 2002 one, wasnt it that one with Vanessa Amorosi and the giant surprise box and projections of Melbourne? (it was made by David Atkins)

Maybe it was the bad quality of the stream i was watching...if i watch it again on high quality perhaps it would grow in me more. And if Glasgow is going to make their ceremonies on the Celtic Park , they wouldnt have to worry about the stage appearing empty at some sections (which was what i tought of Delhi opening) :P

The handover was ok - better than most i have seen - 8 mins isn't enough time to convey much! The best bit was the scottish flag sequence - otherwise the segment felt a little disjointed - esp the tartan sequence and the loch ness monster at the end ! Not sure how many Indians know about Nessie or how well it came across in the stadium. Well done to the Scottish performers though - they all looked very proud!

Lastly well done India - great games that will be remembered for the right and the wrong reasons !! See you in Glasgow 2014!

• Like 1

Actually thought it was a half decent closing ceremony, certainly not in the league of say Manchester's, but still pretty good. I guess I would have liked some other kind of artistic segment aswell, not entirely sure they were on about with the martial arts thing, seems like they picked that concept out of their arse and ran with it.

The aerostat was null and void, which makes me think they indeed did run out of time as I had read that the mirrors would be used more in the closing, in saying that, I also read that final segment would include 5 moving stages around different parts of the stadium - so I dont think they really knew what they were doing.

The end part was really good, vibrant, and reminded me of their handover in Melbourne. Still , no points for being a tease and singing a Blue song but failing to provide me with my dose of Duncan James.

The handover was good I thought, back to the 90s model of floor scale handovers. The lil video they did was good, all be it a double for spot the ginge. The music I thought was a little bit twee, but still, all in all - a very good production.

As for the lazers.... lazers... really? Hardly cutting edge, still, a good filler in I guess.

OK, the only thing I've seen is the Handover segment c/o scotguy's clip above.

At first, I thought...oh? Sydney 2000 at Atlanta with those arches? And then...y r they doing the Sydney Opera House?

ANd then the Armadillo--which was explained as an auditorium by the CLyde..okey. But the performers were too BOGGED down by those inflatable arches and all this business with the fabrics (again like the quilts of Atlanta's Closing). I was surprised not too many tripped with all that haphzard traffic going on around. Projections worked very poorly against the ribbed arches. And the maroon costumes w/ the blue lighting... :blink: . And they should've made the gals more distinguisahble from the guys.

It's the Arc (squinty) bridge I think.

Watched the closing again just now.

I like the concept of the Glasgow video, where you eventually find out that you have been following a runner all the way along, which is why the participants in the video acknowledged the camera.

Must also say, the final segment of music from Delhi was certainly getting the entire crowd up and going, I haven't seen such an enthusiastic crowd in quite some time.

Glasgow handover was very poor IMO - so cliched and stereotypical and not really a fair representation of 21st century Scotland.

It may divide opinion but IMO London were absolutely right to give a ceremony which reflected the city in the 21st century rather than the city people expect it to be.

Well, London's handover bit wasn't all that exceptional either. I think 5 double-decker buses around the stadium floor (and each one in an Olympic color) would've been FAR MORE impressive than that miserly one. What was so 21st century about a double-decker bus? I mean many cities around the world have it.

Yeah I agree Baron, There's nothing more stereotypical about London than a red double decker bus. Plus people love Scotland and visit there because of things like tartan and highland dancing etc, if it brings in tourism, money and you can easily recognise where you are then why not. Kids break dancing in illuminous coloured hoodies etc is not what people think about when they think of Scotland and that sorta thing could represent anywhere in the world.

The handover might not have been perfect but at least you knew where the games will be in 4 years

Well, London's handover bit wasn't all that exceptional either. I think 5 double-decker buses around the stadium floor (and each one in an Olympic color) would've been FAR MORE impressive than that miserly one. What was so 21st century about a double-decker bus? I mean many cities around the world have it.

Double Decker buses are a London icon, but we are used to seeing those clunky old, non-accessible ones.

The but itself was a good idea- just everything else that sucked.

A tad off topic, but maybe they could only afford one? :P

At any rate, it should have been, the iconic London bus heading to an actual "destination" which would have been Chinatown, London. In which them Chinese dragon performers come out after the crowd realizes where the bus was heading.

Just read that they were planning on having the mirrors dangling down to form a chandelier as reported, but they were messing up the laser display and started janging around and knocking into each other as the winds picked up - so decided to remove them,