Which US city will host the Olympics next?

saireea

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine says it's gonna be PyeongChang 2018.

I think Houston will have more historical significance to American's in the 40's than Boston.

But you're assuming that the IOC would give a rats a$s about this aspect. Every time that an American bid is talked about, it's always mentioned that a U.S. bid would need to be less about 'America' & more about internationalism. Especially in the only country that's hosted the most Olympic Games than any other.

As has been stated B4, the IOC does not necessarily vote on such criteria. They vote more on what they believe is 'best for the Olympic Movement' & not about what city best represents a certain country's history. And it seems that element means that much less to the IOC when it comes to the U.S. Since even you say it's more about the money.

I think (& evidently so does everybody else on here as well) that you're giving wayyyyy too much emphasis on Houston for whatever your partial reasons. We could do that with several other growing cities too at the moment not just Houston. Such as Miami, Dallas, Phoenix, Seattle & even Minneapolis, but that attribute alone wouldn't make any of them Olympic suitable.

Houston, even in the 2030's, is not going to be 'the best the U.S. has to offer'. Not to mention Houston's resemblence to Atlanta (at least in the IOC's view) that left the IOC with a very bad after taste.

In the 2040's, modern America will be defined by the immigrants that risked their lives crossing the southern borders in search of a better life. I think Houston will have more historical significance to American's in the 40's than Boston.

How gives a sh*t. if the IOC vote purely on history, then how will Houston stand against Istanbul, Rome, Berlin, Paris, Delhi, Saint Petersburg, Tokyo? All these cities are far more "historical" than Houston. I don't, and the world certainly doesn't, care about the historical significance of Houston to Americans. If history plays a part in bids, which it generally doesn't except for Athens, then a city with international historical significance would be selected.

The Olympic Games has never been more popular and certainly never been more competitive to host. Almost all of the world's major cities wants an Olympics in their profile, so for the USA to win a Summer Olympic bid again, the USOC can't put up second-rate cities anymore. The games will only be hosted by internationally famous cities that are iconic; at least thats the 21st century trend (Sydney, Athens, Beijing, London, Rio de Janeiro; all very famous, prominent and iconic cities). So personally I can only see 4 American cities being competitive in the next quarter of a century; New York City, San Francisco, Chicago and Los Angeles (although having hosted twice detracts from LA); because they are the US's most recognisable and perhaps "exciting" cities for foreigners; and all the voters will be non-Americans. I just can't see anything exciting about Houston, Phoenix, Minnneapolis, Seattle, Miami, Boston when the likes of the above cities plus Shanghai, Cape Town, Buenos Aires could all be bidding.

for the record, I think Boston would have a better chance than Houston because it does have a reputation for being an attractive city to visit. Houston doesn't have such a reputation.

How gives a sh*t. if the IOC vote purely on history, then how will Houston stand against Istanbul, Rome, Berlin, Paris, Delhi, Saint Petersburg, Tokyo? All these cities are far more "historical" than Houston. I don't, and the world certainly doesn't, care about the historical significance of Houston to Americans. If history plays a part in bids, which it generally doesn't except for Athens, then a city with international historical significance would be selected.

The Olympic Games has never been more popular and certainly never been more competitive to host. Almost all of the world's major cities wants an Olympics in their profile, so for the USA to win a Summer Olympic bid again, the USOC can't put up second-rate cities anymore. The games will only be hosted by internationally famous cities that are iconic; at least thats the 21st century trend (Sydney, Athens, Beijing, London, Rio de Janeiro; all very famous, prominent and iconic cities). So personally I can only see 4 American cities being competitive in the next quarter of a century; New York City, San Francisco, Chicago and Los Angeles (although having hosted twice detracts from LA); because they are the US's most recognisable and perhaps "exciting" cities for foreigners; and all the voters will be non-Americans. I just can't see anything exciting about Houston, Phoenix, Minnneapolis, Seattle, Miami, Boston when the likes of the above cities plus Shanghai, Cape Town, Buenos Aires could all be bidding.

for the record, I think Boston would have a better chance than Houston because it does have a reputation for being an attractive city to visit. Houston doesn't have such a reputation.

change the first word to "who". thats embarrassing

change the first word to "who". thats embarrassing

i also ittaliced the wrong word. oh well

In the 2040's, modern America will be defined by the immigrants that risked their lives crossing the southern borders in search of a better life. I think Houston will have more historical significance to American's in the 40's than Boston.

Oh yes, you mean the ILLEGAL LAW BREAKERS. We should venerate them, for sure. :rolleyes:

I just watched the Chicago 2016 documentary... and should admit that their concept was pretty good....

If USOC solved all their problems, Chicago should be the next SOG !!!

was it shown on french TV or do you have a link where I can watch it online?

I downloaded it from youtube a few days ago and watched it on my tv....

prob said this before but decent video, enjoyable but communication seemed to have failed Chicago, outside of any USOC relations.

Chicago was always a favourite of mine, with Rio really only cementing its place in my heart a week or 2 before the vote.

That grey guy really should not have been the face of the bid.

I've always thought Washington DC could be cool, but that is in large part because they could have a lot of use for a new large stadium to replace RFK.

yes yes yes !!!

I wish more people would support DC; I think people say it's not big enough.

A games in the US capitol would be sublime, I would be crying the entire time, what a dream.

I hope the world will visit again soon.

I don't really know much about Washington beyond the fact the President lives there.

As a (possibly ignorant) outsider it doesn't excite me at all; Chicago, San Fransisco, NYC, LA again even, sure, but Washington? Nah.

Am I being unfair?

I don't really know much about Washington beyond the fact the President lives there.

As a (possibly ignorant) outsider it doesn't excite me at all; Chicago, San Fransisco, NYC, LA again even, sure, but Washington? Nah.

Am I being unfair?

Not really. D.C. is two things: Government and Museums. There's not an ounce of excitement in it, unless you're turned on by American politics, that is.

Well, Washington's bid for the 2012 Olympics was too spread out, even including Baltimore. A new plan would have to be way more compact, & the only use for Baltimore could be for soccer.

As far as a Washington bid in itself (& besides maybe not being too exciting to the foreign viewer/visitor), the apparent main detriment would be that it would be viewed as "too American", especially to those fastidious, Euro-centric IOC members.

Pundits always seem to make it a point that any American bid always would have to focus more on internationalism than boast so much about 'America', especially since the U.S. has hosted the most out of any other country, so they would need something more to the bid. And of course naturally Washington D.C. is the epitome of such since it is the U.S. capitol.

So that would seem to be the main Achilles heel for any Washington bid, since I don't really C the IOC getting too excited about a over the top red, white & blue Olympics. Any proposed Washington bid would need that extra something more to appease those finicky, royal wannabes from the Lausaunne playhouse.

I agree that D.C. will not be the next American host city. I doubt it will ever host the Games. As the seat of the federal government (and that is really its only claim to fame) it is not suited to the Olympic Games -- particularly when one considers the level of international disappointment with some of the decisions to have come out of Washington in the recent past. It is not a viable option because it is fundamentally unmarketable to a global audience.

I've always thought Washington DC could be cool, but that is in large part because they could have a lot of use for a new large stadium to replace RFK.

Not gonna happen because: (1) It's really NOT a walking city with a large enough pedestrian downtown. (2) Security--too many embassies, monuments and gov't bldgs. Of course, if they put barricades in every street, that would turn it into ONE BIG pedestrian mall. So there is that possibility... :rolleyes:

Summer Games: Chicago, New York, San Francisco or Washington

Winter Games: Denver or Reno

Chicago = Not going to bid again, that ship has sailed

NYC = Not enough interest, that ship has sailed. If NYC really wanted the games as much as some on here think they do, they would have bid for 2016. They didn't. That says it all.

San Francisco = Maybe. If they can solve the politics and venues issues

Washington = Not in the near-future. Security in the US Capital for an Olympic Games? Hell NO!

Denver = No way. Like FYI said, you don't give the IOC the middle finger and then come crawling back

Reno-Tack-Ho = Well, I'd say "no way, too tacky", but I suspect that if they were the candidate, the IOC might just throw them a bone to prevent the US having any chance at all till the 40's.

Archived