The Next Canadian Commonwealth Games Bid

Kenadian

Which Canadian City Should Bid Next?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which Canadian city do you think should bid next for the CWGs?

• Halifax
    • Quebec City
    • Montreal
    • Ottawa
    • Toronto
    • Hamilton
    • Winnipeg
    • Calgary
    • Edmonton
    • Vancouver
    • Victoria
    • Other - specify
  2. 2. When should Canada bid next?

• After 2034
    • Never again!

There is almost no doubt of it happening...Canada will once again host the Commonwealth Games. But which city should bid? And when?

Bit of history....Canada has hosted the event four times already - Hamilton in 1930, Vancouver in 1954, Edmonton in 1978, and Victoria in 1994. Canada's most recent bids were Hamilton's unsuccessful attempt to land the 2010 Games and Halifax's canceled bid for the 2014 Games. And of course, Hamilton played host to the first version of the Games back in 1930. Canada is also the 9th most populous nation in the Commonwealth, has the second largest economy in the Group (as of 2009, based on GDP), and a history of hosting other big international events including Expos, World Championships and the Olympic Games.

I am guessing it will be either 2026 in Ottawa or 2030 in Hamilton. Those are the only cities I know of that have given an interest and there definately needs to be a balancing of the games hosted between the East and West

West

Vancouver 2010

Calgary 1988

Victoria 1994

Vancouver 1954

Edmonton 1978

Winnipeg 1999

Winnipeg 1967

East

Hamilton 1930

Montreal 1976

Toronto 2015

Hamilton will submit a bid for the 2030 games. 100 years after hosting the 1930 CWG. The writing is on the wall. I doubt there will be any bids in the 2020's as I think Canada will be submitting bids for Summer Olympic Games (2020/2024/2028) instead.

Even though I would chose my home city to bid for a Commonwealth Games, I chose Winnipeg instead. Calgary needs to catch up on critical infrastructure and financial planning first, before trying any idea of wanting to bid for anything. Besides, nearly half of existing Calgarians want to LEAVE AND MOVE OUT from the city, if they have an opportunity to do so. Imagine that, nearly 500,000 people want to get out. I guess the Alberta Advantage is no more, thanks to the most least-popular premier in Canada right now.

No, not really. If Montreal wanted the games they would probably have some success internationally. I don't think Quebec City would be a serious contender. I have just gotten the feeling that Ottawa is the most likely city for Canada. I can't see Toronto wanting another bridesmaid games and I think that if Toronto hostes the Pan Ams in the 10's, the CWG in the 20's by the 30's people won't be willing to support an Olympic bid.

I think Faster is right on the money. Toronto's not going to want to host another put another multi-sport event on its calendar at a time when the iron for striking the Olympics is hot. Quebec City would have to build a lot to meet post 1994 CWG standards as it currently is similar to Victoria. And I don't think the "British-ness" of the Games would be a major hassle to Montreal. If they raise the city's profile and prove good for business and tourism, then why not? The city has a lot of the facilities and infrastructure in place. A few tweaks and improvements and a developer willing to build the village, and you have a lot of what is needed.

I voted Hamilton 2030. Seems to me that that there's little doubt Hamilton would set itself up for a tilt at the centenary, and stand a bloody good chance of success, unless, of course, somewhere else in Canada gets in first. Unless they were competing against South Africa, I think the CGF would jump at almost any Canadian bid as soon as one came up. CWGs really need Canada, and I've always liked the qualities Canada's hostings have brought to them..

I also agree, I see Toronto's aspirational priorities as higher.

I wish Toronto had gone for the Commonwealth Games instead of the Pan Americans. But whatever.

My hope would be Gold Coast-Cape Town/Durban/JOhannesburg-Singapore-Ottawa/Hamilton/Montreal

I think if the CWGF can alterate between new and traditional hosts it will continue to be successful. And I really want to see Singapore host.

The question is, does Montreal WANT a Commonwealth Games? Does it WANT to host what essentially is the showcase of British Imperialism? Sure, any other Anglo-Canadian city would have announcements in both English and French, perhaps bilingual placards, maybe a homage to French-Canadian culture, but you're going deep into French-Canada if one were to choose Montreal, or even Quebec City.

Where there is of course some opposition against the monarchy and Canadian federalism. One's bound to get the mass protests not for breads and circuses, but for the fact that why the Quebec government would want to host such an event.

One could argue that it is an attempt to cement Quebec-Canadian relations, but still, it seems unlikely.

That being said, Montreal could revert the Olympic Stadium as it was in 1976, a new aquatics complex be built alongside a new velodrome with extensive use of the indoor arenas in the city. They seem to be a more logical choice then Quebec City.

I'm kinda at the point where as much as I want Gold Coast to host in 2018, I actually want no bids for 2018, so that the CWG Fed can start to think about what exactly they are doing, why they are doing it, and whether they are applying enough resources.

The oversight we all wish was there for Delhi should apply to any other host city regardless of the city or risks.

True...is the will there in Montreal? Not sure. But Montreal isn't the hot bed of separatism in Quebec. It is more diverse, more international and more English than you might think. In fact, if not for Montreal, the province might have left Confederation in 1995.

Montreal also built a new aquatics centre on Île Sainte-Hélène for the 2005 FINA world championships. So Montreal could pull off the Commonwealth Games with almost no major new construction - just some fix-ups. Their velodrome is missing, since the one used for the '76 Olympics was converted to the Biodome. CWG sports are more flexible.

Oh, and as for Toronto and the Commonwealth vs Pan Am Games...I think the Pan Ams set them up better for the Olympics than the CWGs. It exposes them to new audiences and to a more Olympic-type audience. The IOC has closer relations with PASO than it does the CGF.

Oh, and as for Toronto and the Commonwealth vs Pan Am Games...I think the Pan Ams set them up better for the Olympics than the CWGs. It exposes them to new audiences and to a more Olympic-type audience. The IOC has closer relations with PASO than it does the CGF.

No for personal viewing. The Commonwealth Games attracts more high-end talent from the participants than the Pan Ams.

Not that I have any serious commitment to my selection (or the CGs as a whole) but it would be interesting to see Montreal get the games in 2026. All those more French than the French Quebecoise having to put up with a relic of the British Empire might make a few locals gag on their poutine. :lol: And of course it'd look nice on the list of "Former Olympic Cities That Are Now Better Off Going For a CGs Than Another SOGs" list right alongside Melbourne...

Seriously though, is there any real popular interest in a bid for CGs from 2022 onwards in Canada as a whole or in any one specific city? Forget the local business or political lobbyists looking for a few loons, what about the folks sipping their Molsons as they watch Canadians win gold in Delhi?

Hamilton already has plans for a 2030 bid. The City intends to build a new stadium for the 2015 Pan Am Games and wants to renovate and make the stadium bigger.

2015 Pan Am facilities ripe for centenary Games in city

January 18, 2010

John Kernaghan

The Hamilton Spectator

http://www.thespec.com/News/Local/article/706979

It's a long way off, but a centenary Commonwealth Games for Hamilton in 2030 was on sports organizers' minds over the weekend.

Commonwealth Games Canada (CGC) sees an opportunity to celebrate the birth of the Games, known as the British Empire Games when Hamilton spawned them in 1930, by using the 2015 Pan Am Games as a platform.

"We should be poised to take advantage of the legacy of the Pan Am Games," said CGC president Dr. Andrew Pipe following the sports body's annual general meeting.

"It would mean double the value of the investment you make for 2015."

He cited the $170 million in sports and recreation infrastructure slated for Hamilton and Burlington.

Those facilities, which include a major stadium, pool at McMaster University, world championship-calibre cycling track and a $23-million soccer centre, could still be used 15 years later.

Pipe said the CGC is first looking at 2022 for a Games in Canada, but the special circumstances of the 100th anniversary for Hamilton could mean hosting two sets of Games eight years apart.

"It's hypothetical if you could run both in the same region, but that could be explored strategically."

After Hamilton's original version, three other Commonwealth Games in Canada were staged in Alberta and British Columbia.

Michael Fennell, president of the Commonwealth Games Federation, said Canada should be hosting more Games and noted the 2030 version is a special occasion.

"Canada has proven it has the expertise and resources to stage major Games, whether it is the Olympics or Commonwealth Games. It should do more."

He addressed security concerns for the 2010 Games in New Delhi, telling CGC members yesterday his organization has hired a security consultant to advise it on preparations for the events in India next October.

New Delhi defeated Hamilton in the 2003 competition to stage the Games.

"We live in a crazy world," he noted, but added many nations, including Canada, are helping the Indian and New Delhi security apparatus prepare for the 10-day sports showcase.

2026 is also 50 years after 1976. And I know it was a different era, but Montreal was to host the 1942 Games before the war ended those plans.

Canada placed a bid for the 2010 Games (Hamilton) and then tried to submit a bid for the 2014 Games. Halifax was chosen and then dropped. A political move as the Nova Scotia capital doesn't have the facilities or resources to pull off a large scale CWG. But the 2014 race attracted interest from Ottawa, Calgary (dropped out before the domestic vote), the York Region north of Toronto and Hamilton.

Hamilton has an interest, of course, in the Centennial CWGs, but these things don't always work out for Centennial celebrations (do they Athens?) and with the Pan Ams essentially co-hosted by Hamilton 15 years earlier, there might be a case of "let someone else take a turn".

Which makes me think Ottawa might be Canada's next bid and possibly in the 2020s. They hosted the 2001 Francophone Games, but those are much smaller than the CWGs. Canada's last CWG hosting was in 1994 and on average Canada gets one about every 20 years.

• 3 weeks later...

True...is the will there in Montreal? Not sure. But Montreal isn't the hot bed of separatism in Quebec. It is more diverse, more international and more English than you might think. In fact, if not for Montreal, the province might have left Confederation in 1995.

Montreal also built a new aquatics centre on Île Sainte-Hélène for the 2005 FINA world championships. So Montreal could pull off the Commonwealth Games with almost no major new construction - just some fix-ups. Their velodrome is missing, since the one used for the '76 Olympics was converted to the Biodome. CWG sports are more flexible.

After the 2005 FINA World Swimming Championships, Montreal was in an excellent position to bid for the 2014 Commonwealth games - but they didn't. I just can't see Montreal going for the CWG. They could have bid for 2014 and would have been the front runner ahead of Glasgow and Abuja. Remember - in the summer of 2005, the internal bid process was going on in Canada, during which Hamilton was suprisingly rejected for Halifax.

I can see Hamilton 2030 - and if the CGF reject that bid, they can say goodbye to Canada. There is already barely no interest in the CWG in Canada and with regards to regional sporting events, Canada is more committed to the Pan-Am Games. Toronto is hosting 2015, so there will be more interest amongst Canadian summer sports fans in Guadalajara 2011 then there was in Delhi 2010.

Glasgow 2014 will be a good warm up/ trial event for Canadian summer athletes for Toronto 2015, when Canada will be wanting to put in a good performance on home soil and of course for Rio De Janeiro 2016.

I voted for Ottawa and 2026. They could benefit from the facilities, the infrastructure, and the exposure. And 16 years from now is a decent enough time frame away.

Ottawa? Maybe, who knows. Check out this article titled: "Councillor Candidate Corry Burke Proposes Ottawa Bids to Host the 2022 Commonwealth Games."

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2010/09/prweb4583664.htm

Of course hosting a sporting event means things get built and regeneration, so it's good for a city..

However, to me Ottawa 2022 dosen't make sense. From a financial perspective it certainly doesn't make sense.

The province of Ontario is already building several facilities for the 2015 Pan Am Games - eg. athletes village, aquatics centre, velodrome and new soccer stadium in Hamilton (if the Ticats and City council can resolve their dispute, that is), with a budget of C$2.4 billion, so why would the government of Ontario want to then for 2022 build yet another set of venues - aquatics centre, velodrome, athletics stadium etc in Ottawa??

Remember - a bid for the 2022 CWG will need to be submitted by 2013 or 2104, when Toronto/ Hamilton will be in the midst of preparing for the 2015 Pan Am Games, during that period I don't see an Ottawa 2022 bid getting much support form the provincial government who will be busy preparing for 2015.

Canada placed a bid for the 2010 Games (Hamilton) and then tried to submit a bid for the 2014 Games. Halifax was chosen and then dropped. A political move as the Nova Scotia capital doesn't have the facilities or resources to pull off a large scale CWG.

That's the key issue here - if the CGF had smaller bid requirments (eg a 15-20,000 seater athletics stadium, a 2,500 seater aquatics centre etc), then maybe the budget for the Halifax 2014 wouldn't have swelled from the intial estimate of $785 million to $1.7 billion dollars, and the bid might not have pulled out like it did in March 2007!

Archived