We've not really been exposed to the World Expo in South Africa, apart from the Millenium Expo bid concept I found that Cape Town produced just before its Olympic bid in some archives.

My question is, is it better than the Olympic Games in the long run? Apparently millions of visitors are visiting Shaghai this year and the mayor of Cape Town is currently visiting the World Expo.

Are the economic benefits more "real"? Exposure? Why are Paris, London, etc. no longer bidding for this event?

Thoughts?

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

the presentation of Izmir 2020 Expo in Paris enjoy

It's terrible you read these news under the 'city vs city' POV and use it to 'score more points' for Rio de Janeiro...

Wow was pretty obvious that Dubai was going to win. Great upcoming city and hopefully one day an olympic host city.

Well I know that the effects on Vancouver after the world expo in 86 were huge, transformed the city from a national center to a global center. But on the other hand you have expos like the Knoxville world expo in 82 which really didn't change the city at all.

So really I guess you could say it can go both ways, your city could change dramatically and become a world city or could not change at all and be a huge waist of money. Id say the Olympics is far safer if your looking for global promotion.

RSA is a little far for the packaged tours of No. America, Europe and Japan (especially the school-packaged groups) that made Seattle '62, New York '64-65, Montreal '67, Osaka '70, Vancouver '86, Seville '92, and I guess now Shanghai '10 great successes. It's all in the distance and the timing of the year.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

But is the World Expo still relevant these days? It seems cities and countries do invest in their pavillions and events.

I think it is...if you get the right theme, the right marketing, the right pavilions AND...nothing like a 9/11 happens in the month or so leading up to your event. I mean something like that just pulls the carpet out of a mega-event like a WOrld's Fair.

But also remember, no southern hemisphere World Expo (has there ever been one) has any track record. This might be a first...and maybe do it like Spain did in 1992: Olympics in Durban...and Expo in Cape Town and a trip down to the Olympics would be worth the expense for a northerner.

We've not really been exposed to the World Expo in South Africa, apart from the Millenium Expo bid concept I found that Cape Town produced just before its Olympic bid in some archives.

My question is, is it better than the Olympic Games in the long run? Apparently millions of visitors are visiting Shaghai this year and the mayor of Cape Town is currently visiting the World Expo.

Are the economic benefits more "real"? Exposure? Why are Paris, London, etc. no longer bidding for this event?

Thoughts?

London and Paris, the financial centres of Europe are already well-known to investors and are first ports of call for many. I can't speak for Paris, but London's stock exchange, whilst a long, long way off New York's in terms domestic companies listed, is the biggest in the world for foreign investors. There's really no need for such cities to advertise themselves by way of an expo.

I think World Expos will become less and less relevant as global travel continues to increase. Shanghai has been extremely successful because of the domestic audience it has in China. You will not see that everywhere.

The Expo did a number of good things for Brisbane (along with the Commonwealth Games) in helping it transition from being just an Australian city, to more of a global city.

A city like Cape Town (despite being smaller) is probably already past this point.

Edmonton is bidding for 2017. I wonder what their theme will be? James Cameron vs. The Oil Sands? :lol:

Calgary was going to bid for 2017 as well, but they bailed out.

Maybe we will see the same kind of transformation in Edmonton as we saw in Vancouver? That would be nice because as is Edmonton is a horribly ugly city.

A horribly ugly city with the best NHL franchise EVER!

Anyhow - yeah. Brisbane 1988. Made a lot of money. Transformed the city centre. Good event.

Edmonton 2017 - Celebrating 150 Years of Canada, I should have thought that would be obvious to any Canada that completed elementary school.

I wouldn't say Cape Town is past it since the current host is Shanghai.

Edmonton 2017 - Celebrating 150 Years of Canada, I should have thought that would be obvious to any Canada that completed elementary school.

I wouldn't say Cape Town is past it since the current host is Shanghai.

Do you think Cape Town has a greater global presence that Shanghai? Or at least it did at the time of Shanghai bidding?

While Shanghai is a much larger and economically more powerful city, I don't think it is as recognisable on a global level; namely because of China's position on IR up until the last decade.

The Chinese are using Shanghai to make a statement about their progress and how they're becoming more open to the world. I'm not sure Cape Town (or South Africa) needs to do that. In any event, Cape Town would be a fantastic host.

Edmonton is bidding for 2017. I wonder what their theme will be? James Cameron vs. The Oil Sands? :lol:

Calgary was going to bid for 2017 as well, but they bailed out.

Edmonton? Give me a break. Harper would say no to the idea because of money problems. Remember, he spends over CDN$1 billion on just security alone for a 72-hour events called the G8 and G20 summits. As a result, he is an embarrassment to Canada towards the world and, some say, the ultimate TOOL. And, besides, all the money to spend for events like this are all used up for the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics and the 2015 Pan American Games in Toronto for this decade. Also, if Edmonton does somehow got this event, it would mean that the most-hated premier in Canada would justify his reign as "honest" in Alberta. Never mind that Harper broke his national promise of fiscal responsibility.

Do you think Cape Town has a greater global presence that Shanghai? Or at least it did at the time of Shanghai bidding?

While Shanghai is a much larger and economically more powerful city, I don't think it is as recognisable on a global level; namely because of China's position on IR up until the last decade.

The Chinese are using Shanghai to make a statement about their progress and how they're becoming more open to the world. I'm not sure Cape Town (or South Africa) needs to do that. In any event, Cape Town would be a fantastic host.

The CHinese had to put up Shanghai because Beijing got the Olympics. They had to give their economically most important city something to beat their chest with. And which is also why they gave the 2008 Equestrian venue (and Disneyland) to Hong Kong.

Well, here's the official website:

http://edmontonexpo2017.com/

I know about Edmonton wanting to bid for a World's Fair for some time now. Since 2007, I believe. Besides, according to the ExpoMuseum web site, it is the only North American city that has confirmed to bid for 2017. The rest of the EIGHT cities competing against the Canadian city for the 2017/2018 honor is all practically from Europe.

Unfortunately, I have a concern. Why is Europe so want the World's Fair so badly? The next Universal Expo, in 2015, is going to be held in Milan, Italy. That could be its SEVENTH World's Fair in Italian history. Yet, the Americas hasn't hosted one since Vancouver 1986. Does North and South Americans see the World's Fairs as "a wasted effort?"

The CHinese had to put up Shanghai because Beijing got the Olympics. They had to give their economically most important city something to beat their chest with. And which is also why they gave the 2008 Equestrian venue (and Disneyland) to Hong Kong.

The equestrian venue was moved to Hong Kong because horse racing in China is not up to world standards, but it is in Hong Kong. It would have taken a lot of time and technical skill to get China into international compliance with equestrian regulations. So go to where they already are.

The equestrian venue was moved to Hong Kong because horse racing in China is not up to world standards, but it is in Hong Kong. It would have taken a lot of time and technical skill to get China into international compliance with equestrian regulations. So go to where they already are.

Yeah, that too.

Is the Edmonton bid any more far fetched than the aborted MOntreal one?-

Montreal 2017

Also note this is the smaller 'intermediate' Expo - like Zaragoza 2008 and Yeosu 2012. It is not a full blown Shanghai sized Expo. The next huge Expo will be Milan 2015 and then 2020.

Edited by thatsnotmypuppy

And Shanghai is getting a Disneyland too. The administrative team for that project is being assembled soon according to some Disney bloggers.

And Shanghai is getting a Disneyland too. The administrative team for that project is being assembled soon according to some Disney bloggers.

Oh really? So it may occupy the present Expo site?

Hey Mo, there's another Cape Town plan 4 you? No Olympix, maybe Expo...but perhaps the first outpost of Disneyland in Africa?