What did you think?  

22 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think?

• Amazing
    • Very Good
    • Good
    • Not good
    • Very Bad

I think i liked the Handover segment form Melbourne better than i did this ceremony. Plus although the ceremony was good, i still prefer teh last 3 openings of the commonwealths to this one

Edited by scotguy

I voted "Very good" as it far outreached my expectations, it was not near perfect no, and no were close to Olympic class. But over all it was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed it.

Very good...except for Kalmandi's speech of course. It would have been fitting to have someone behind him playing a violin.

I voted good. Some parts were excellent and some was truly aweful including the speech from Kalmandi's. I didnt like the format either. It was strange that they had the indian national anthem before the official countdown.

I must say I did expect more...

The sound was terrible as well

You will have to take that up with your broadcaster than. I have no problems at all with the feed I was getting except for a lapse of about 2 seconds.

I gave it "very good". Perhaps a little too generous, but it was beyond expectations. No major goofs, and not even the minor ones I would expect from an event where there was too few rehearsals. The performers rose to the occasion despite all the difficulties, and full credit goes to them.

And I am probably just plain biased, but I have always found ceremonies from Asia (and Africa, if they ever get there besides the WC) to be far more interesting to watch. :D

Also, the Indian anthem was just played from a tape. Such a lost opportunity.

Tape? When i heard the anthem i was all ''wtf'' :blink: , it sounded like an old record from the 20s-30s :lol: . Kinda sad because indian anthem is interesting, they could have done something better.

Anyway i voted very good. The ceremony wasnt olympic class but i liked the spontaneousty and joy of the performers, like they were having a lot of fun. And some segments like Yoga and Indian Journey (this last one was very good, and had references to Bollywood as well XD) were amazing (but i think the tree of life, if it wasnt by the colorful indian dances, would have been a ripoff of Vancouver)

^Well when I say 'tape' I just mean it wasn't live, or at least pretend live.

It was like the anthem music they play at medal ceremonies. For Opening Ceremonies, a special arrangement of the national anthem is usually in order with a live choir/soloist/orchestra.

On a more positive note, I like the part where the kids painted the hands from underneath the canvas. I also like the Yoga part with the balls rising up.

The sand sculpting was neat but I wish they had found away to better share it with a large audience.

On a more positive note, I like the part where the kids painted the hands from underneath the canvas.

I haven't seen any of it--so I can't vote yet. But this kids' painting "from underneath"...uhmmm, Manchester '02. :(

• Like 1

Exactly the same as Manchester 02 Baron. That's part of the reason I voted good rather than very good.

The giant yoga dude and chaotic train segment were the highlights - just great. The Man 2002 rip off and overly long speeches right in the middle of it all spoilt it a bit for me. Also special mention for the Indian female athletes who looked amazing.

I liked 3 parts of whole the OC (watched the whole opening via youtube)

- Swagatam (the climax when the schoolchildren draw the henna coloured hands)

- Gandhi (the human touch when children were drawing gandi)

- Cultural Train (at the cultural part of the ceremony - each compartement loaded with daily social aspects of india)

Didn't liked the opening with all the drums .. was too long

And the end of the YOGA part was good but the climax toward it was not astonishing.. was waiting for something to happen.

Overall a very very colourfull and dynamic opening and liked to aerostat.

But still those countries do not know how the bring this sort of events on screen

It was like there was 1 spidercam filming whole the time from one angle, and

I got sick when the the camera filmed in front of those beautiful ladies when they carried the boards

whit the names of the countries. The camera stood too close .. it didn't gave a clean view

These are mine thoughts and views

best regards

fatixxx

greetings from belgium

Well, I have a view on the opening, but I fear that I am being influenced by the broadcast.

Our Sky tv broadcast here in NZ had terrible audio, the sound didnt sound like it was being piped into the broadcast feed, but instead, that we were just picking up the sound from the loudspeakers around the stadium. This also lead to most of the vocal performances being totally out of sync, and to be honest, in the entire opening ceremony I failed to pick up on many tunes at all.

Was this NZ or did other broadcasts have the same?

I only ask because Im watching the youtube posted clips, and it is totally different. I can actually pick up on songs and pieces of music, and the lips of the welcome song guy is moving in unison with the song.

Because of the sound issue I always felt kind of agitated.

I think the opening was good, but it lacked continuity. I loved the feeling of joy and enthusiasm of all the performers, and there were certainly some eyecatching moments, but I still think it was lacking a wow moment.

It obviously was the old style of ceremony, but in some a deeply spiritual country as India, I think there was room for something a little bit more artsy.

Overall, it was decent, but I don't know if it will fall into the catagory of maybe the Manchester closing ceremony - where I will watch it again and again.

• Like 1

Had no interest in watching and was (like far more Australians) pumped to watch the mighty St George Illawarra Dragons claim their first grand final win since 1979 (and celebrating accordingly).

Then again last OC at the CGs that caught my attention was 1994 in Victoria.

OK, am starting to watch the OC on YouTube now.

2 immediate observations:

1. Drumming sequence is just too long-- and the saffron-lighting is just boring. They should've changed or varied it for this long a sequence.

2. Will that Hindenberg-ata/aerostat thing hover over the stadium while they have the track events??

Edited by baron-pierreIV
  • Like 1

Well, I have a view on the opening, but I fear that I am being influenced by the broadcast.

Our Sky tv broadcast here in NZ had terrible audio, the sound didnt sound like it was being piped into the broadcast feed, but instead, that we were just picking up the sound from the loudspeakers around the stadium. This also lead to most of the vocal performances being totally out of sync, and to be honest, in the entire opening ceremony I failed to pick up on many tunes at all.

I only ask because Im watching the youtube posted clips, and it is totally different. I can actually pick up on songs and pieces of music, and the lips of the welcome song guy is moving in unison with the song.

I think the opening was good, but it lacked continuity. I loved the feeling of joy and enthusiasm of all the performers, and there were certainly some eyecatching moments, but I still think it was lacking a wow moment.

It obviously was the old style of ceremony, but in some a deeply spiritual country as India, I think there was room for something a little bit more artsy.

Overall, it was decent, but I don't know if it will fall into the catagory of maybe the Manchester closing ceremony - where I will watch it again and again.

Think it was just your broadcaster (the Vancouver opening ceremony was ruined in the same way for me). The BBC had great sound but the ceremony was ruined somewhat with verbal diarrhoea coming from Huw Edwards (why the hell was he there) Steve Cram and the BBC India correspondent - god the BBC needs to think about who will commentate at the London 2012 ceremonies. The BBC also cut several times to a female Asian Barbie doll interviewing athletes no one had ever heard of from the home countries and then missed the entry of the Welsh team lol!

Thought that India did a good job - very beautiful but the speeches just went on and on and on!

Cut to today and where are all the spectators - did they forget to sell tickets?

That said thought the ceremony was beautiful but good god the speeches went on and on and on ....

I know what you mean Matt, although i watched the ceremony again on SKY 5 yesterday as it was repeated and the sound was fine, they must have realised and fixed it on the recordin.

I also think part of the problem was that the field was just too big, even though there was thousands of performers it looked very scattered. Glasgow will be more intimate as the field will be smaller

Edited by scotguy

I also think part of the problem was that the field was just too big, even though there was thousands of performers it looked very scattered. Glasgow will be more intimate as the field will be smaller

That's exactly what I fear and expect for Sochi. You need to fill the field or use EXPERT lighting which will disguise that the field/stage is tooo large and you don't have enough bodies to fill it. At least in Salt Lake, I think they had the right field and were able to fill it up except for that farther end.

Sign in to follow this