Do you think that India would be a good host for Summer Olympics

35 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that India would be a good host for Summer Olympics

• Yes
    • No
    • Its too early to say - lets wait for the sport events
    • There is a lot to do but India has the potential
    • India could host "tomorrow"

Yes, but not yet, not till at least 2028 for me. They need root and branch reform of their public sector, their Olympic Committee, their construction practices. And they need to improve their performances in the Olympics themselves - they punch well below their weight in terms of medals won and in terms of enthusiasm for Olympic sport. And that's before you get to the question of whether they can win - the politiking within the IOC.

The ceremony was fun, but it doesn't change anything.

No, we're not. It was a mess a fortnight ago when the heads of the delegations came to inspect their teams' accommodation. Nearly every criticism Delhi has received it has deserved because things should have been ready far earlier.

We give credit where it's due, like for the ceremony, but let's not pretend now that things have got off to a good start that any prior criticism was unfair, becuase it wasn't.

Although the previous weeks before the beggining were dreadful as hell, they still have the chance of making a good games on the next 11 days. That is, of course, as long as no more problems rise (althoug there will probably be a couple of problems, sadly..)

Dont judge the games just for the opening ceremony. This is just the beggining.

No, we're not. It was a mess a fortnight ago when the heads of the delegations came to inspect their teams' accommodation. Nearly every criticism Delhi has received it has deserved because things should have been ready far earlier.

We give credit where it's due, like for the ceremony, but let's not pretend now that things have got off to a good start that any prior criticism was unfair, becuase it wasn't.

my question was rhetorical meant

;)

when arrived the teams in the Games village? I mean how long before the Games had started?

The opening ceremony was great,but I shall reserve judgement until after the Games are over.

If the organization of the Games runs smoothly and there are no more dangerous or embarrassing mishaps,then I think Delhi will have gone some way towards erasing the bad publicity of the last 2 weeks and putting itself back in a more favourable light!

Again, the next time the Games rotate to Asia, after Tokto that is, (that would be a "few more decades") & dramatically improve in all the critical areas, they'll be the compelling candidate to beat next time.

I'd also say thay should also put in bids in the meantime, but with the expections of not winning so soon, but to be able to start to get those critical IOC connections in place. So then when the time is ripe, India can go in for the Olympic picking.

Dont judge the games just for the opening ceremony. This is just the beggining.

Yes, and if I may add to that, don't judge the games based on its condition before it opens. All those criticisms about the conditions in previous weeks, while not unjustified, are actually quite pointless as long as they are addressed before the games begin.

Not a chance in hell for 2020...give it a few more decades. The government is incredibly inefficient and it's a system prone to extreme corruption.

China did all they did with an obviously corruptable government, and see the result? And inefficiency in government is not always reflected in the efficiency levels of organising committees. In this case, I felt it was the opposite. The government of India actually showed it was far mroe efficient than the useless team led by Kalmadi.

Again, the next time the Games rotate to Asia, after Tokto that is, (that would be a "few more decades") & dramatically improve in all the critical areas, they'll be the compelling candidate to beat next time.

Seriously, not Tokyo again. It is not as if the entirety of Asia has just one eligible candidate, and I am especially bored by the idea of former hosts trying to host again (needless to say, that partly reflects my mood towards London 2012. ;) )

Simply, No!

The Indian authorities have displayed staggering incompetence in the lead up to the CGs, with wilful ignorance or backsliding away from the agreed requirements of the standards expected by the international sporting community as well as the peak body that is the CGF. It has only been through intense media scrutiny and political pressure wrought by concerned parties that has allowed these games to even possibly go ahead.

Considering the grossly increased magnitude of the demands of a SOGs with the increased complexity of hosting a games, coupled with Indian lack of success or power in the Olympic community, the massive political contradictions that have lead to corruption, exploitation and an unacceptable burden on the least able and willing to carry the burden then no. India is not a fit host for the Olympics now nor it will be for decades.

And the most paradoxical nature of the Indian incapability is that if these CGs run relatively smoothly the babus and their political masters will consider their actions justified, with no sincere and honest reflection upon how much danger their inaction and ineptitude put the CGs in, both in terms of the current iteration as well as the long term future.

After the OC of the CWGs in Delhi - do you think that India would be a good host for/is capable to host Summer Olympics?

I'll reserve my judgement until after the CWGs are over. The OC isn't enough to base my opinion on.

Seriously, not Tokyo again. It is not as if the entirety of Asia has just one eligible candidate, and I am especially bored by the idea of former hosts trying to host again (needless to say, that partly reflects my mood towards London 2012. ;) )

Well, apparently Tokyo is the only eligible candidate in all of Asia at the moment. China isn't hosting again in quite a while, neither is South Korea (at least in the Summer category), & India needs much more time to get their house in order, & I don't see South East Asia nor the Middle East anytime soon either.

And while you might be especially bored by the idea of former hosts trying to host again, the IOC obviously is not. And they're actually the ones who get to decide where the Games are held. And seriously, why would one be 'bored' of London hosting. The last time they hosted was over 60 years ago & surely no one here were there to remember them.

As long as there is a reasonable time gap between former host cities, then what's the big deal. Especially when they're the big ones like Paris, Berlin & Tokyo, especially Paris, where it's been almost a century since they last had the honor.

Yes, and if I may add to that, don't judge the games based on its condition before it opens. All those criticisms about the conditions in previous weeks, while not unjustified, are actually quite pointless as long as they are addressed before the games begin.

It would be short sighted not to consider the condition before the games.

People were injured and I expect many died in construction. Child labour has been employed. These are moral issues which I have a problem with. In more practical terms, the athletes had to delay their arrival. As far as I am concern the rest of the games can go off without a hitch but the organizers will still have failed to be good hosts.

No Olympics for the next 20 years, at least.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, India is not going to be ready or able to host for quite some time. India has more pressing issues to focus on at the moment. Their economy continues to grow at a rapid pace, but hundreds of millions are still in extreme poverty. I think they should start throwing bids in for the 2030's, and would be taken more serious in the 2040's.

I think Tokyo will be the next Asian host for the Summer Games, and I have no problem with that (unless they are bidding against a U.S. city).

The preparation for the CWG showcased India's weaknesses.

India is not going to be ready or able to host for quite some time. India has more pressing issues to focus on at the moment. Their economy continues to grow at a rapid pace, but hundreds of millions are still in extreme poverty

Sounds like another big country not too far from them which has already hosted no?

I take it this is a personal opinion on whether they should bid or not, rather than a serious assessment of whether they will and, if they do on what basis the IOC will asses their bid?

Sounds like another big country not too far from them which has already hosted no?

I take it this is a personal opinion on whether they should bid or not, rather than a serious assessment of whether they will and, if they do on what basis the IOC will asses their bid?

Yes, it is my opinion. I also was against China hosting too. I don't believe a country that receives massive amounts of aid should be rushing to host an Olympics. That is my opinion though.

I actually think India could host sooner, but the Games probably would not be even close to the same quality as other host cities.