Evaluation report + index

puxapiti

I made a technical evaluation report about the 2014 bids, criteria from the IOC 2010/2012 evaluation reports:

[picture]

eval20148fv.jpg

So the standing so far, based on technical merit only, is as follows:

1 Salzburg 171

2 PC 167

3 Sofia 134

4 Jaca 126

5 Sochi 117

6 Almaty 93

7 Borjomi 75

But as said this evaluation is only technical, so when we include geopolitics as a factor, the standing would look like:

1 PC

2 Salzburg

3 Sofia

4 Jaca

5 Sochi

6 Almaty

7 Borjomi

So... what do you think?

I made a technical evaluation report about the 2014 bids, criteria from the IOC 2010/2012 evaluation reports:

[picture]

eval20148fv.jpg

So the standing so far, based on technical merit only, is as follows:

1 Salzburg 171

2 PC 167

3 Sofia 134

4 Jaca 126

5 Sochi 117

6 Almaty 93

7 Borjomi 75

But as said this evaluation is only technical, so when we include geopolitics as a factor, the standing would look like:

1 PC

2 Salzburg

3 Sofia

4 Jaca

5 Sochi

6 Almaty

7 Borjomi

So... what do you think?

Do you use a Level 1 to 5... and Salzburg gets an '8' for infrastructures?!??!!

There are some details:

1) for all cities: three days I've been browsing through the Internet to find articles from local news sources to get the idea of each bid. And there is much info in this news, like which venues will be used, which will be renovated, ...

Additional:

- about PC, Salzburg, Jaca - 2010 evaluation reports

- about Almaty, Sochi and Borjomi - because I know some russian - I've registered in some internet forums and asked local people to their opinion, they gave me pictures, plans... In this way I could also get the idea of in how far the bid is supported by the locals

- about Sofia - :)  I have soooo much info on that bid that I didn't had the time to look at it all over again. I also met some officials from the Ministry of Sports and the Bulgarian OC, that told me some interesting things...

Sofia 3rd?? You must be kidding. Many Eastern Europe cities can nowadays host great winter games, why not Budapest for instance, but certainly not Sofia. Giving the games to them would really be a hard blow made to olympism.

Now since Annecy isnt in the race (I think we made the right decision since we would have been humiliated again, and a second disgrace isnt necessary) and since no Canadian or American cities are in the race for obvious reasons, I think I'll root for Salzburg and Borjomi. Why? Well Salzburg is a great and beautiful city, with modern and suitable venues, in a country that has a big winter sport culture and people who love winter sport and who have a long sport tradition.

Austrian people also know how to organize great events (Innsbruck...wasnt born of course but i've seen images!). Salzburg's backgorund is also beautiful and culturally exceptionally rich, so Salzburg 2014 could be great games. As for Borjomi, I know their chances to win is almost equal to 0 but a good friend of mine is from Georgia, she's so adorable and supporting this city is like paying a tribute to her. The fact that they have no chance to win also makes me wanna support them.

I hope Pyoncheang wont get the games (who knew where it was before it started bidding for 2010?), the place is too remote and for such an international event of such importance we need a place where it is easy to go. + almost no winter sport tradition among the population + Korea is a very sad and mournful country apart from Seoul). I know that for having been there. You sometimes wonder whether you're still in South Korea or if you've crossed the border with the Stalinist neighbour...

Jaca + Sochi have the same problem = places that no one has ever heard of (this is the Olympic games, we have to be serious for a moment...Can you imagine an event called Sochi 2014?? Let's be honest...That would just sound ludicrous). I know it would be the same for Borjomi but each one of you has understood that I supported this city "for fun" and because of my friend. I just know this city is unlikely to win the games and I know it would be a bad idea to give them the games too.

So...That's it...Nothing to more to add but GO SALZBURG! (and looking forward to seeing Toronto win the 2016 games!)

Jaca + Sochi have the same problem = places that no one has ever heard of (this is the Olympic games, we have to be serious for a moment...

I didn't knew that Salt Lake City existed until they bid for the games... Same as Lake Placid...

and looking forward to seeing Toronto win the 2016 games!

Let be serious... :)

I would like comment this figures for Sochi.

Infrastructure - 3. Well, right now may be yes. But of course there will big plans.

Accomodation - 4? I wonder - how most popular Russia sea and ski resort, that also hosts most known Russian movie, tv, music etc awards could be evaluated so low?

Sport venues - 3. Well, yes, not much right now of them...

Olympic Village - 3??? Is it was unveiled? When? I would like to see it.

General concept - 3? And what is general concept in Sochi?

Security - 3? Why? It is Russia, with strong security forces...

Transportation - 3. Well. Correct point for now. City isn't big in terms of population. Just 325thous. It is big in terms of area. 145x50km. But between the district (former cities) there are trains in service.

Finance - 3? Sochi plans to spend $6bln on this winter games. So in sum with government support it will be correct to consider finances of Russia istead of just Sochi...

Public governemt support - 5. Well such thing always be on 5 in Russia.

Environment - 4. Well... let in be 4.

Previous Expirence - 2. Yes. Not much of big sport events before... But as for expirence of hospitality... so as I said Sochi hosts main show business events of Russia...

I hope Pyoncheang wont get the games (who knew where it was before it started bidding for 2010?), the place is too remote and for such an international event of such importance we need a place where it is easy to go. + almost no winter sport tradition among the population + Korea is a very sad and mournful country apart from Seoul). I know that for having been there. You sometimes wonder whether you're still in South Korea or if you've crossed the border with the Stalinist neighbour...

You've certainly made your biases clear. If you've truly been there (and if you have ever seen North Korea), you wouldn't have made such outlandishly ignorant comments.

Korea does have a winter sports tradition. I dare you to say otherwise to the many Korean speed skating medal winners here. Korea does have a very efficient transportation structure. You can get from one side of the country to the other in three to four hours!

Having visited both sides of the border, there is clearly a difference between the two countries.  

And calling South Korea "sad and mournful"? If you actually spent time in the country you will find South Koreans to be very creative, hard working and passionate about their Country and their culture.

I am confident that Pyeongchang and Salzburg will make excellent hosts. But statements such as the one on the previous post add nothing to the debate but resentment and confusion. You do not represent Salzburg well by critizicing their competitors.

I would like comment this figures for Sochi.

Infrastructure - 3. Well, right now may be yes. But of course there will big plans.

Accomodation - 4? I wonder - how most popular Russia sea and ski resort, that also hosts most known Russian movie, tv, music etc awards could be evaluated so low?

Sport venues - 3. Well, yes, not much right now of them...

Olympic Village - 3??? Is it was unveiled? When? I would like to see it.

General concept - 3? And what is general concept in Sochi?

Security - 3? Why? It is Russia, with strong security forces...

Transportation - 3. Well. Correct point for now. City isn't big in terms of population. Just 325thous. It is big in terms of area. 145x50km. But between the district (former cities) there are trains in service.

Finance - 3? Sochi plans to spend $6bln on this winter games. So in sum with government support it will be correct to consider finances of Russia istead of just Sochi...

Public governemt support - 5. Well such thing always be on 5 in Russia.

Environment - 4. Well... let in be 4.

Previous Expirence - 2. Yes. Not much of big sport events before... But as for expirence of hospitality... so as I said Sochi hosts main show business events of Russia...

Thanks for the feedback!

Good advices for my next evaluation...

You've certainly made your biases clear. If you've truly been there (and if you have ever seen North Korea), you wouldn't have made such outlandishly ignorant comments.

Korea does have a winter sports tradition. I dare you to say otherwise to the many Korean speed skating medal winners here. Korea does have a very efficient transportation structure. You can get from one side of the country to the other in three to four hours!

Having visited both sides of the border, there is clearly a difference between the two countries.  

And calling South Korea "sad and mournful"? If you actually spent time in the country you will find South Koreans to be very creative, hard working and passionate about their Country and their culture.

I am confident that Pyeongchang and Salzburg will make excellent hosts. But statements such as the one on the previous post add nothing to the debate but resentment and confusion. You do not represent Salzburg well by critizicing their competitors.

I'm not representing anybody dear, I'm not even Austrian. And objectively, having no "favorite" city in the race, and having no particular link with any of the country represented in the race, it still seems obvious and undeniable to me that Salzburg is the best city for 2014.

I haven"t criticized your country at all but it is my utmost right to say what I thought of Korea when I've been there. Even if it might hurt your national pride...

I was sure that some Pyongcheang supporter was going to evoke speed skating and short track! But please it is the ONLY sport where Korea is represented in the winter sports and the only one where they have chances to win medals. You might be particularly gifted for ONE winter sport, but that doesn't mean the Korean population has a big winter sport tradition. They're more into sports like soccer or martial arts, (that's why Korea wins a lot of medals during summer games) but certainly not winter sports, that's why I hope Pyongcheang won't win.

I give my total support to Salzburg and our Austrian friends  :)

Sofia 3rd?? You must be kidding. Many Eastern Europe cities can nowadays host great winter games, why not Budapest for instance, but certainly not Sofia. Giving the games to them would really be a hard blow made to olympism.

Now since Annecy isnt in the race (I think we made the right decision since we would have been humiliated again, and a second disgrace isnt necessary) and since no Canadian or American cities are in the race for obvious reasons, I think I'll root for Salzburg and Borjomi. Why? Well Salzburg is a great and beautiful city, with modern and suitable venues, in a country that has a big winter sport culture and people who love winter sport and who have a long sport tradition.

Austrian people also know how to organize great events (Innsbruck...wasnt born of course but i've seen images!). Salzburg's backgorund is also beautiful and culturally exceptionally rich, so Salzburg 2014 could be great games. As for Borjomi, I know their chances to win is almost equal to 0 but a good friend of mine is from Georgia, she's so adorable and supporting this city is like paying a tribute to her. The fact that they have no chance to win also makes me wanna support them.

Jaca + Sochi have the same problem = places that no one has ever heard of (this is the Olympic games, we have to be serious for a moment...Can you imagine an event called Sochi 2014?? Let's be honest...That would just sound ludicrous). I know it would be the same for Borjomi but each one of you has understood that I supported this city "for fun" and because of my friend. I just know this city is unlikely to win the games and I know it would be a bad idea to give them the games too.

So...That's it...Nothing to more to add but GO SALZBURG! (and looking forward to seeing Toronto win the 2016 games!)

Are you crazy ???

I havent heard about Annecy, Lake Placid, Nagano, Salt Lake City and many others until the Games have been there or they have bidded, so...

Archived