The Copenhagen Vote - 1 Year Later

My, how time flies. This time last year we were all still on tenterhooks for the result. And despite how many of us say it was pre-ordained that Rio would win, there was still a lot of heat and divergence of expectations here.

I'm still happy, though, that I managed to make some money out of my prediction!!!!!

:D

Anyway, just wondering if there's gonna be any event to mark the anniversary in Rio?

And, have disappointments faded with time further north of the Rio Grande?

Also, came across this:

1 year later no regrets from head of Chicago Olympics bid

On the 20th floor of the Aon Center, amid the largely empty offices, are a few souvenirs of the activity that filled the area a year ago.

The label on a September issue of Forbes magazine says the subscriber is "Joseph Ahern, Chicago 2016 Olympics.''

Visible through a window is a banner with the Daniel Burnham exhortation to make no small plans, which Chicago's 2016 Olympic bid adopted as a leitmotif.

Olympic memorabilia still hangs on some walls, including those in the office of Patrick Ryan, the former CEO of both Aon and the Summer Games bid committee that was headquartered on the 20th floor.

Chicago was the first of four 2016 finalists to be eliminated in the Oct. 2, 2009 vote of the International Olympic Committee, which would choose Rio de Janeiro as the host.

Ryan said he saw the handwriting for a Rio triumph on the wall exactly a month earlier, when the IOC evaluation commission issued its report, which glossed over Rio's crime and transportation issues.

"We knew when we started (in 2006) if Rio proved to (the IOC) it could handle the Games, they would go there, because the Games never have been in South America,'' he said.

Ryan has moved on and become, at age 73, boss of Ryan Specialty Group, an insurance company he launched last winter. But the posters of past Olympic Games in his new company's office seem like a sad, almost masochistic reminder of what always be missing: a poster of Chicago 2016.

"I'm not sad at all,'' Ryan said. "I have a very positive perspective on the bid.

"I keep telling myself this isn't a rationalization for not winning, but I truly believe the bid left a strong legacy.''

The clearest evidence is World Sport Chicago, created during the bid process to bring Olympic-related sports events to the city and to use Olympic sport and ideals in programs with the Chicago Public Schools and Chicago Park District.

Funded with about 10 percent of the $75.9 million raised privately to bankroll the bid, World Sport Chicago has current cash assets of $5.2 million, according to its CEO, Scott Myers. It has spent about $800,000 in assets this year but, Myers said, "we intend to do more aggressive fund-raising soon.''

There is a lesser-known legacy piece: The 2016 Fund for Chicago Neighborhoods. It used $2 million in funding from the bid committee for what would have been Olympic-related job training to attract $18 million in federal matching funds to help the unemployed in some neighborhoods that would have gained Olympic benefits.

Ryan said there is also a legacy in the venue and operations plan Chicago 2016 drew up, a plan that can be the foundation for a future Chicago bid "so they won't have to spend the money we did starting from scratch.''

Mayor Richard M. Daley, who once called bidding for the Olympics a con job but bought into the idea whole hog in 2006, blasted the IOC Wednesday at an international meeting, Beyond Sport, in Chicago.

"Money is the game of the Olympics. It's not about the Olympian,'' Daley said.

U.S. Olympic Committee CEO Scott Blackmun told reporters last Friday he thought a U.S. bid for 2020 was "highly unlikely.'' Should the USOC choose to seek the 2022 or 2026 Winter Games, it might be two decades before Chicago or any other U.S. city makes a Summer Games bid.

Ryan, a billionaire who ran the bid without salary, spent "a few million dollars'' of his own money on a private jet for his relentless vote-seeking trips. He drove himself to exhaustion.

"I believed until the evaluation commission report came out we had a great opportunity to win,'' Ryan said. "After that, a blind man could have seen what the IOC wanted.''

To project an image of vitality during the bid, Ryan had worn contact lenses that drove his eyes crazy. He has eyeglasses now. And hindsight as clear as his vision of an Olympics in Chicago.

Chicago Tribune

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember those days really clearly. In the final week I tried to not post in the middle of a real war here in Gamesbids.

Lots of crap been said for all the bids (not only Rio).

The drama in the voting...

And the final celebrations...

Those days were really special to me.

But, bring this thread back, I have to say:

Oh, here we go...

I just can't believe it's been a year ALREADY!! :blink:

The real shock for me and the vast majority of us I guess was not that Rio won (I always thought that would happen) but Chicago failing to get past the 1st round! I'll never forget tuning in a bit late to watch the voting and not seeing Chicago's name up on the screen with the other candidates.I kept thinking that they were just being a bit slow in adding all the names and waited patiently to see Chicago's name appear.Only gradually did it dawn on me that the city was not being included in the voting.I quickly dashed onto the forum and was immediately engulfed in a tsunami of shocked posters confirming the unbelievable news of Chicago's first round exit! I think I'm still reeling from it!! B)

Ah,there's nothing like the drama of an Olympic host-city vote to bring this board alive!! :P

Yep, it became kind of heated around here in those last few weeks...

The loss did effect Daley's 20+ year legacy, and he would surely have continued on as mayor instead of calling it quits. Also, the loss was the beginning of Obama's descent from the "rock star" status he received during his campaign.

6a00d8341c60fd53ef012877221d6e970c-800wi.jpg?w=550

Chicago's bid is like a bad dream. You occasionally come across something from the bid, but no one ever talks about it. It will be bitter sweet when I watch the opening ceremony six years from now. I suspect the Paris dreamers will feel the same way during the 2012 opening ceremony in London.

In fact I'm not sure which shocked me more...London edging out Paris to win 2012 or Chicago going out in the 1st round for 2016! :o

It's a close run thing! B)

"I believed until the evaluation commission report came out that we had a great opportunity to win", Ryan said. "After that, a blind man could have seen what the IOC wanted."

So right on target.

When the Final Evaluation Commission Reports are so cut-&-dry, like they were for 2008 & 2016, you might as well call it 'race over' then. The vote afterwards is just for show.

2012, & even 2014, was more of a race than 2008 & 2016 was.

Ryan probably still believed that maybe Obama could make a last ditch effort for the bid despite the report.

As been sighted before, what if Obama hadn't gone, & then still a 1st round exit, then it would've been "what if Obama had gone, yada, yada". With all the other heads of state there from the other bids, it's what Ryan & his bid team thought they had to do, too.

Yup, we Cariocas for Chicago did NOT deliver the vote. But we will be back!!

Cariocas para Chicago!! Arriba!!

LOL, at least "Chicagoans for Rio" had a website and more than one people backing the movement!!! laugh.giftongue.gifwink.gif

IOC+2016+Olympic+Venue+Announcement+Day+Two+vxQt4-233yNl.jpg

Best intro from the three candidates

What did she do? Wasn't she lip-synched?

Were there only 3 candidates? I thought there were FOUR.

LOL, at least "Chicagoans for Rio" had a website and more than one people backing the movement!!!

We are a secret, multi-national organization. It may seem there is only one member...but that is only an illusion.

What did she do? Wasn't she lip-synched?

Were there only 3 candidates? I thought there were FOUR.

I didn't think she was lip-syncing. I didn't think their presentation came close to London's, but the intro had proper perspective IMO.

Sorry, I meant to write "out of the three other candidates". It sucks how I can't edit my posts, maybe it's time to purchase a membership...

Totally agree about the evaluation report. It showed exactly what the IOC wanted by minimizing some weaknesses and exaggerating others. It doesn't bother me that the IOC has their preferences. The thing that irritates me is that they pretend they DON'T. Ryan was right. The handwriting on the wall after that report came out. I hope that the reports in future races will be more objective.

Rio 2016 – One Year On

Saturday 2 October 2010 marks one year since the city of Rio de Janeiro was elected by the International Olympic Committee (IOC) Session in Copenhagen as the host city of the Olympic Games in 2016. While the Games Opening Ceremony will still be 2,133 days away when Rio celebrates the first anniversary of its success, there has already been a lot achieved by the local organisers as they prepare to welcome the world in just under six years’ time.

Building the Organisation

Following Rio’s successful bid - consisting of two years of planning and including the production of a comprehensive candidature file and a visit by the IOC’s Evaluation Commission - the Rio team wasted no time in setting to work in creating the Organising Committee that would deliver the Games. Since its first meeting with the IOC, on the morning following the election, Rio has, among other things, officially created the Rio 2016 Organising Committee; participated in an IOC run orientation seminar; appointed a new CEO; taken part in the IOC’s observation and debrief of the Vancouver Games; created a sports advisory committee; developed a new brand look that will be launched at the end of the year; been involved in the creation of the Olympic Delivery Authority (APO); and welcomed the first visit of the IOC’s Coordination Commission, which will follow Rio’s progress until the Games begin.

Preparing for the Games

While the progress made by Rio 2016, with the assistance of the IOC, has been impressive, there have also been a number of advances made in more concrete areas thanks to the strong partnership that exists between the Organising Committee and its local partners. Recent initiatives include the confirmation of the venues for the 26 sports on the Olympic programme at the time of Rio’s election; the start of construction on the Rio metro expansion; and work on the new BRT Transoeste line that will link Santa Cruz to the Barra area of the city. All these areas will be essential to Rio’s ability to deliver top-quality Games. As Coordination Commission Chairwoman Nawal El Moutawakel said during the first visit of the IOC’s Coordination Commission: “Rio has made a good start to the project. It has laid a solid foundation, but the scope of the Olympic project is immense, and it is important that no time is wasted.” Having seen what has been accomplished so far by Rio 2016, they are clearly listening to the Chairwoman’s advice!

RIO 2016

Rio de Janeiro was elected on 2 October 2009 as the host city of the Games of the XXXI Olympiad at the 121st IOC Session in Copenhagen, Denmark. Rio was elected in the third round of voting, beating the cities of Chicago (United States), Tokyo (Japan) and Madrid (Spain). Rio defeated Madrid in the third round of voting by 66 votes to 32, with Chicago and Tokyo already having been eliminated in the first and second rounds respectively. Rio 2016 will have 28 sports on its programme and will run from 5 till 21 August 2016.

IOC

One year already... I still remember the mix of relief, excitement, joy, surprise and almost choking on my lunch after the first and the last announcement.

I must say, most of you guys probably don't know how good is to have the Olympics in your country for the first time. It's a dreamlike experience.

One of the most bizarre IOC elections I've ever seen, that's how I'll remember it. I was caught so flatfooted and shocked by Chicago's elimination, everything else just blurred. Make no mistake, I thought Rio probably would triumph in the end, but to lose Chicago in the first round... still makes me shake my head.

But, I was upset only for an hour or so and then... well, Rio's the new adoptive parent. Let's hope they don't kill the baby.

The loss did effect Daley's 20+ year legacy, and he would surely have continued on as mayor instead of calling it quits.

I don't think so, Daley is quitting for two reasons: His wife's battle with cancer, and the improbability that he can win the next election. The second is not driven by the election loss. It is driven by an increasing perception that he is the "Chicago machine politician", progressively worsening infrastructure, and continually escalating taxes in the city.

Daley built his initial career by being a decisive and effective leader. Lately he is still decisive, but just not effective. Chicago now has the second worst road congestion in the country; the O'Hare Modernisation Plan is years behind schedule; the CTA is decrepit, corrupt and unreliable; roads are nearly undriveable in the spring; property and sales taxes are among the highest in the nation.

The city that works needs a new, fresh leader. Unfortunately, it looks like that may be another Chicago Machine Politician - Rahm.

"Ryan said he saw the handwriting for a Rio triumph on the wall exactly a month earlier, when the IOC evaluation commission issued its report, which glossed over Rio's crime and transportation issues."

I think Ryan is full of bovine-faeces with this statement. The only the bid committee managed to get the White House to approve the Obama in=person pitch was because we could reassure them the probability of victory was very high. The White House was not prepared to spend the political capital if a loss was a likely outcome.

If what Ryan claims here is how he really felt, then he intentionally misled the White House.

Canis, if Chicago won the bid last year, Daley most certainly would have run for mayor again. I did not say the loss was the only reason why he is calling it quits now, but you better believe that sentiment would be different in this city if we were preparing for a big show six years from now. There would still be controversies, but I have the feeling public opinion would be "let Daley run these Olympics since he is the one who brought them here". Kind of like "Bush's War" in the 2004 election...

No doubt, Daley would have a tougher election, but he probably would have won anyway. Why didn't any credible opponents step up to run until after he threw in the towel?

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely think it's time for a new face in City Hall. I just don't know exactly who that person should be yet.

Archived