Delhi 2010 Criticism A Western Conspiracy?

30 members have voted

1. 1. Is criticism of the Delhi 2010 CGs partly a western conspiracy against India

So, is Kalmadi right? Or is this just more excuse making?

Criticism a Western conspiracy, says Delhi chief

Games organising chief Suresh Kalmadi believes the Commonwealth's western countries have conspired to unleash the scathing criticism which has marred the buildup to the games.

In an interview with CNN India, Kalmadi was questioned about the constant criticism of the New Delhi Games over claims of corruption within the organising committee, the massive delays in construction and substandard building work.

When asked whether the criticism was a conspiracy from western countries who could not accept that India could organise a successful Games, Kalmadi agreed.

"Definitely, that's part of it," he said.

Pressed further on whether the western countries had conducted a conspiracy to damage India's reputation in the world, he said "I don't want to say to much but we'll talk after the Games are over."

Before the Games open on Sunday, they have been blighted not only by terrorism threats and a dengue fever plague, but construction deadlines which have been missed by months, a footbridge at the main stadium collapsing last week and filthy, unsafe and incomplete apartments at the athletes village.

But, as chairman of the Games organising committee, Kalmadi said he never thought of resigning during the controversy, even when he was caught up in accusations of corruption in the issuing of contracts for Games work.

"Never, never, my team of 4000 people is working day and night to make this a great games and I have the full support of the government," he said.

He said he wants an inquiry held after the Games to clear his name of all accusations.

And while he accepts the blame for the delays in construction and the chaos of the athletes village, he is still confident the Games will succeed.

"I will take the blame but I don't listen to much ... but when the Games are over, I hope I get the credit," he said.

He also said Commonwealth Games Federation chief executive Mike Hooper should also take some responsibility for the failures in preparation rather than just blame the Indian government and the organising committee.

"Mike Hooper has been in Delhi for the past four years and he should have known what was happening, there's no point blaming the government," he said.

"Definitely, he could have done much more, I could have done much more."

I saw that yesterday. So bloody typical. Overall, it's just a typical Kalmadi thin-skinned response to blame the messenger rather than own up to any shortcomings. I certainly don't give it much credence.

That said, the media isn't totally blameless. I'm not saying they haven't been highlighting issues that needed to be aired, but as usual when they can scent blood, frenzy has taken over from restraint. It's always easy to beat-up a good scandal beyond true objectivity. But to imply a coordinated conspiracy overestimates how much rivalry there is between various media outlets. If there was a consiracy, it was that so much of the press kept quiet until last year for fear of offending India.

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1

These kind of remarks will not do them any favours with the IOC in future. Instead of blaming others, if they just admit their failings and learn from their mistakes then it would make Delhi more attractive to host future major events.

• Like 1

That was 100 % expectable. If you're the member of a developing nation and can't deal with your own mistakes -- blame the west.

Sorry, India: But when you want to host an international event hosted by developed nations before, you will have to bear that you're measured by the same standards as previous hosts were. But even if it wasn't an international event with a long history, certain conditions at the Delhi Games are simply unacceptable. Also by Indian standards, as the criticism among the Indian athletes and media shows. So, there you have it, your "western conspiracy".

Why would the West want to conspire against India?? :blink:

If anything,most people in the West want India to succeed and do well.I know I do.That the country has slipped up so badly just makes most of feel sad,not gloating! :(

Edited by Mainad

Yes, it is a Western conspiracy...

We broke into the Athletes Village at night, and purposely removed bath tubs and doors. We covered things in dirt (and excrement), and released stray dogs and snakes! We botched the time tables of venue construction and left debris piles all over. Can't forget how we displaced thousands, and hacked into their finances to muddle things up to make it look like some shady practices were going on... yes, we in the West are responsible for the ills of Delhi 2010.

Definitely not, if even Indian athletes complained about the infrastructure it means that organizers are doing it wrong cause these cames aren't even making their own people happy, and if they don't accept they're commiting mistakes that's the worst thing they can do.

But he is right!!

See this other GB thread which backs up his allegation:

It HOLDS water!!

I'm afraid this one's a bit too subtle even for me,Baron! B)

this is why you need an ODA. Delhi has been a great example of what happens without one. 21 disjoint authorities, including an "archaeological survey" department delivering venues rather than a single body controlling timelines and handing out work to public and private sector, everybody on the same page. A single planning process and theme.

I'm afraid this one's a bit too subtle even for me,Baron! B)

OK, I guess I have to...

In that thread, look at how England, Liechtenstein, Norway and one or 2 other Euros have the "God Save the King/Queen" tune as their anthem for many a year.

So, indeed, it would fit the idea of "collusion of western nations" in Mr. Kalmadi's universe. ;)

Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung - "Desaster für Indien" (Desaster for India)

The very reputable F.A.Z. released an article about the CWGs in India today

Google Translation

Disaster for India

New Delhi is groaning under the burden of the Commonwealth Games. There is chaos, anger and despair before the games start on Sunday. And even some athletes do not go into the Indian capital.

And there is still a lot to do just before the start of the Commonwealth Games

India has lost its big chance to imitate his rivals China and a sporting nation to rise. Even before the Commonwealth Games on Sunday in New Delhi that have become a disaster for the third-largest economy in Asia. More and more top athletes from the former sphere of influence of the colonial power Great Britain from saying more and more damage and negligence in the preparation of the Games come to light. Still, all teams are threatening to not only to compete. Check the removal of their athletes - extremely expensive - hotels, send messages about their own security experts to recommend their viewers to stay home. We can not move into the athletes' village before everything works, "Harris said Mbulelo Mejeke, the South African High Commissioner in New Delhi, after failing to find a snake in the athletes village. A cobra was spotted in the tennis stadium.

Especially the comment from South Africa, which has brought as an emerging market a successful football World Cup on the stage hurts the Indians. Devoid of any diplomatic countenance described the Englishman, the Athletes Village in mid of last week as "dirty and uninhabitable." The Indians countered in all seriousness by referring to different cultural habits: "What one person considers to be clean, may not hold for others in," said Lalit Bhanot, secretary general of the organizing committee. As two female tourists from Taiwan in Delhi's old city were shot and a car burst into flames, were added concerns about security. On Monday, the Australian athletes were told to leave the village just as rare as possible.

As a new pedestrian bridge between the parking lot and Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium collapsed, had to call Prime Minister Manmohan Singh to the crisis summit. Now, even warned the credit rating agency Moody's from the effects of the disaster: "The concerns about the safety and condition of sports facilities, a shadow cast on the worldwide image of the country. His reputation as a destination for tourists and investors could be damaged. "All this is a catastrophe for" India shining ". The country that is so proud of each year into an economic growth of more than eight percent wanted to finally catch up sports.

Mike Hooper, chief of critical as the Association of Commonwealth Games are currently one of the most hated in Delhi, with a finger poked in India's wound: "The pride of India does not interest me. My priority is that the games run smooth. "Hooper got his hand under fire. Indian newspapers have received leaked information that the organizing committee in India has paid him over three years, his personal income tax, although he receives his salary in London by the Secretariat of the games. Hooper princely life in New Delhi is now torn with relish.

The Indian middle and upper classes looked enviously on the former enemy China, India in all matters leaves behind. But a cricket league, which is infested with nepotism, shooters, tennis player Sania Mirza and the world champion in women's boxing Mary Kom India came out so far barely.

The fiasco disappointed especially because New Delhi had seven years of preparation. 2003, it promised the "best games in history." By 2008, did little. But airport and subway are not ready to meet the sports venues and the athletes' village, however the claims even of our own athletes. Delhi has little experience with large events. Only the 1951 and 1982 Asian Games held here. Many Indians have checked off the games in their capital, even as a shameful disaster and left the city temporarily for fear of attacks and traffic chaos.

As cynical as it sounds, but now increase the chances of the less successful nations, because more and more athletes have confirmed their participation in New Delhi. England alone is missing eight of the best. The Australian discus champion Dani Samuels world was after the attack before the Friday mosque preach about their manager, did not want to risk their lives for a sporting success. The British triple jumper Phillips Idowu tweeted his fans: "Sorry, folks, but I have to think about my children. “ My safety is more important than where a medal. "

Around 7000 athletes and officials from the so-called Commonwealth countries, influenced by the British colonial period, are expected in New Delhi, 17 sports are on the program. The Commonwealth Games are held every four years. The games date back to the Festival of Empire in 1911 and were first held in 1930 under the name British Empire Games. The next games are planned for 2014 in Glasgow.

The big worry now is how Delhi will cope as the next big event - especially since this will be followed by some 600 million television viewers around the world. After delays in 2011 turning the Formula 1 on a new course before your round of capital. The chaos at the Commonwealth Games quenched Formula 1 boss Bernie Ecclestone said marketers do not: "The race is something else entirely. “ We work together with India's leading construction groups, not with the government. "

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius