"Bridemaids Turn"

SINGATA

For all the bumps and the controversies if you look at the last 8 Olympiads and the respective SOGs the IOC has generally got it right when it comes to host cities and their ability to deliver quality games. Yes, it can be argued that Athens and Atlanta were both relatively problematic however the bid process was not necessarily related in either case to the flaws inherent in the following OCOGs. And these selections have not come about through either a continental rotation system nor from an anti-developing world agenda; they have been made by a group of men and women who have a vested interest in their own success as well as that of the games themselves. It may be heretical thinking but perhaps the maxim of cui bono really does apply when you look at the relationship between the capability of a host's bid and the IOC membership. That is to say if you can't convince the IOC membership that you do have a city which will be for the benefit of the Olympics and its camp followers (and not the other way around which is how some bids seem to pitch their argument) then you have no business being there.And on that basis any officially implemented continental rotation system would be counter productive to the games and to the IOC.

Beijing knocked out strong bids from North America and Europe. And Rio knocked out strong bids from Asian, American, and European cities.

Not to mention Mexico City stood on it's own very well against the likes of it's European & American competitors. Winning on the 1st round by a large margin, & with a sitting American IOC president at the time.

Not to mention Mexico City stood on it's own very well against the likes of it's European & American competitors. Winning on the 1st round by a large margin, & with a sitting American IOC president at the time.

Actually, the 1964 / 1968 Summer Game choices I think were the earlier cases of 'New Frontier' successive picks by the IOC. (Yes, Tokyo 1964 was a late make-up for 1940; and of course previous to that, Rome 1960 was also a late make-up for Rome 1908.) In any case, the IOC was willing to go with 2 recovering World War 2-battered nations (not to mention 2 of the aggressor nations) in a row with Rome and Tokyo; and then followed it up with Mexico 1968.

(Germany, Italy and Japan were ony barred from the 1948 Games. They were back in the IOC fold by Oslo 1952. How many years was South Africa ostracized from the IOC (not sure--1972-1992?) That seems far longer than the Axis nations' penalty rounds.)

To bring the point home, I really don't see why there is such trepidation in a 21st century-IOC making a similar streak with Rio 2016...to be followed by Durban/Cape Town 2020.

I mean these hostings are from countries that have NOT been at war in the last 100 years or so. South Africa cleansed itself of a dark chapter in its history...and maybe for that reason, the IOC would like to kiss and make-up for the years that it made the country pay for its apartheid policies by its exclusion then; and a celebratory return by giving them 2020? Against the historical context I paint above, it's really far more plausible than not.

But we had already arranged somewhere here that the IOC wants to look into the future, not into the past...

I agree. But you move forward with a background of the knowledge and precedent. If not, then why should the IOC bother to keep detailed records of its past? If they did not learn from Munich, would security be at a premium in succeeding games?

I agree. But you move forward with a background of the knowledge and precedent.

And they are still moving forward in the aspect with NEW hosts. It's not gonna work with something like Hiroshima, where the 'peace' message is too bland, too retro & from a country that's already hosted to begin with.

Archived