Rogge says U.S. TV talks to begin soon

OneTimeOnly

And...? What has that got to do with the IOC?

I think it means that if there's a Super Bowl during the Olympics in 2014 (I'd say even if it's right before like usual wouldn't help), that ESPN may have a tough time selling that they'll be all about the Olympics for those 2 1/2 weeks in February, let alone what it will take them to prepare for an Olympics in a region of the world that no one familiar with. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it until I'm proven wrong.. February is a really bad time of year for ESPN to be committing to covering an event on the scale of the Olympics and if I'm the IOC, I'm not even considering ESPN unless they are miles ahead of everyone else in the bidding.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we're all forgetting the pull of the networks in this matter, and the fact is the dates for Sochi 2014 are fixed, so should ESPN or FOX bid and win the rights to the games, it'll be them telling the NFL where to schedule the Superbowl.

Didn't really look at it that way, but that's definitely a valid point. Which makes you wonder what gets set first.. the rights holder for 2014/2016 or the schedule and date for the 2014 Super Bowl. And whether or not the NFL will be so accommodating to 1 of it's network partners if the other 3 aren't on board.

Conceivably though, the Super Bowl could still be played on the first Sunday of the Winter telecast w/o any significant dent in the SOG numbers. I mean what really happens on the first Sunday telecast? WOmen's downhill? Plus, SuperBowl telecast is what 6:00 - 8:00pm? So one or the other might lose a little on that 1st Sunday...but I wouldn't run it going into the 2nd and final WOG Sundays.

I think it means that if there's a Super Bowl during the Olympics in 2014 (I'd say even if it's right before like usual wouldn't help), that ESPN may have a tough time selling that they'll be all about the Olympics for those 2 1/2 weeks in February, let alone what it will take them to prepare for an Olympics in a region of the world that no one familiar with. I've said it before and I'll keep saying it until I'm proven wrong.. February is a really bad time of year for ESPN to be committing to covering an event on the scale of the Olympics and if I'm the IOC, I'm not even considering ESPN unless they are miles ahead of everyone else in the bidding.

The Super Bowl wouldn't be on ESPN it's on OTA to get the biggest audiences, so it would be on ABC. Moot point because ABC isn't scheduled to host a Super Bowl until the next contract is signed.

Also Super Bowl coverage starts around 3 or 4:00pm the game's usually on from 6ish to 10 or 11:00pm, so it takes up 1/4 to a 1/3 of the day, but since it would be on OTA, it leaves the cable networks open to Olympic coverage.

I know the NFL isn't as big around the "World" as it is here, but it's still huge here, and the hype and excitement is palpable, the snack makers, Coke and Pepsi, sell their most in January/February leading up to it and I think I read last year that some huge number close to 80 or 90% of American's are viewing the game, and some huge number 60% (maybe? I can't remember exactly) are throwing/attending Super Bowl party's, so it's big business here in the US.

The Super Bowl wouldn't be on ESPN it's on OTA to get the biggest audiences, so it would be on ABC. Moot point because ABC isn't scheduled to host a Super Bowl until the next contract is signed.

Also Super Bowl coverage starts around 3 or 4:00pm the game's usually on from 6ish to 10 or 11:00pm, so it takes up 1/4 to a 1/3 of the day, but since it would be on OTA, it leaves the cable networks open to Olympic coverage.

I know the NFL isn't as big around the "World" as it is here, but it's still huge here, and the hype and excitement is palpable, the snack makers, Coke and Pepsi, sell their most in January/February leading up to it and I think I read last year that some huge number close to 80 or 90% of American's are viewing the game, and some huge number 60% (maybe? I can't remember exactly) are throwing/attending Super Bowl party's, so it's big business here in the US.

Thank you for helping to prove my point here. First off, ABC is no longer in the sports business, so they wouldn't be in the Super Bowl rotation anyway, and like you said, ESPN wouldn't have the game either (and for the record, Super Bowl pre-game coverage has been starting at 2pm the past few years, and that's not including whatever pre-pregame shows the networks trot out). And if you're going to try and make it numbers, let's remember.. the average viewership of the Super Bowl last year was 106.5 viewers. That means that 2 out of every 3 Americans were doing something other than watching the Super Bowl.

Have you seen ESPN during Super Bowl week? Texas is right.. they devote an obscene amount of coverage to the game even though someone else is broadcasting it and reaping the rewards of earning $3 million for every 30 seconds of advertising time. And that ESPN spends over a billion dollars each year on the NFL, aren't all those big sponsors more than happy for ESPN to hype up the big game. How many hosts, analysts, reporters and whatever else they need are assigned to cover the game, mostly from the Super Bowl site, again just to cover everything but the game itself.

Now, let's say ESPN wins the rights to the 2014 Olympics and that the Super Bowl that year is still scheduled before the Olympics. Where does ESPN allocate its resources? Do they use their top people to cover the Super Bowl or do they send them to Russia and miss the big game? Less we forget the ESPN family of networks also has countless college basketball games throughout the month, are they just going to forget about those as well? The IOC is going to want a television partner that is going to spend a lot of time and effort making them into a success, not someone who will only make them a priority once football season is over. Pass.

I've been labeled in the past as somewhat of an NBC apologist and have accepted what at times has been less than their best effort in terms of their Olympic coverage. But I would like to hope that when push comes to shove, the IOC will realize ESPN is wrong for them and that the Olympics are not the right move for ESPN.

Where's Rupert and Fox sitting in the grand scheme of US TV Rights and the Olympics? Any chance for NBC to lose the rights and then have perhaps Glenn Beck do the synchronised swimming and Bill O'Reilly taking on Tae Kwon Do? :lol:

You can't tell me that the network that brought us 'Married With Children' can't handle an Opening Ceremony broadcast with aplomb and dignity.

*Giggles* Hey Australian, FOX came from one of your guys :-P over the years the Fox network have morphed into a real television network, and they do sports and cable sports very well, and with their involvement in Big Ten Network, they've got people that have covered all the NCAA sport's now, I can only think that they'd need maybe outside help for ski sport's.

Murdoch may have been an Aussie but he is a Septic now with matching paperwork and pin up of Sarah Palin on his executive dunny ;) .

Seriously though Rupert Murdoch has been sniffing around the five rings for years and his Fox associated networks have already got a grab of Australian pay TV broadcasting. I wonder how long a cashed up Fox Murdoch conglomerate can be kept away from the prize of US TV rights.

Where's Rupert and Fox sitting in the grand scheme of US TV Rights and the Olympics? Any chance for NBC to lose the rights and then have perhaps Glenn Beck do the synchronised swimming and Bill O'Reilly taking on Tae Kwon Do? :lol:

You can't tell me that the network that brought us 'Married With Children' can't handle an Opening Ceremony broadcast with aplomb and dignity.

Has there been any movement from CBS towards a bid - think they were the last network other than NBC to cover a games (Winter Olympics 1998 I think). If CBS were to bid, who would be their cable partners?

Has there been any movement from CBS towards a bid - think they were the last network other than NBC to cover a games (Winter Olympics 1998 I think). If CBS were to bid, who would be their cable partners?

Country Music Television.

No, I bet they'd partner up with Turner. I don't think we'll see much from CBS though. Remember they just sunk a lot of money into retaining the rights to the NCAA Tournament. Had they lost that, I'm sure they'd make a hard push for the Olympics, but I don't see them mounting a very serious challenge here. Which is a shame, their sports department is much stronger now than it was in the 90's when they had that run of Winter Olympics.

Country Music Television.

No, I bet they'd partner up with Turner. I don't think we'll see much from CBS though. Remember they just sunk a lot of money into retaining the rights to the NCAA Tournament. Had they lost that, I'm sure they'd make a hard push for the Olympics, but I don't see them mounting a very serious challenge here. Which is a shame, their sports department is much stronger now than it was in the 90's when they had that run of Winter Olympics.

And their regular network programming is soooooo good (or at least I am partial to their shows) that they don't need the risky investment of the Olympics to serve as a springboard for their network shows the way NBC so desperately needs their big Olympic investment to jumpstart their rather lacklustre, almost pathetic primetime programming.

And their regular network programming is soooooo good (or at least I am partial to their shows) that they don't need the risky investment of the Olympics to serve as a springboard for their network shows the way NBC so desperately needs their big Olympic investment to jumpstart their rather lacklustre, almost pathetic primetime programming.

All the more reason I think NBC will win this one. They need the Olympics in the worst way and to lose it to a competitor would be a huge blow for the new bosses and Comcast (and as we know, the Olympics are a big financial boon for cable networks as well). That's why I question ESPN's motivation in all this. We all know they have a ton of cash to offer the IOC, but are the Olympics really going to be as profitable to them as it would be to NBC? They wouldn't get the halo effect the Olympics gives to other programming at a network like NBC and are they really going to be able to earn that much in subscriber fees for an event that only covers 2 1/2 weeks?

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter so much who has the most money to offer, it's going to be about how everyone values the Olympics. And when it comes down to it, they're more valuable to NBC than they will be to anyone else.

just an FYI from 2011-14 here are the broadcasters line up for the Super Bowl

2011 Arlington, TX - Fox

2012 Indianapolis - NBC

2013 New Orleans - CBS

2014 East Rutherford, NJ - Fox

just an FYI from 2011-14 here are the broadcasters line up for the Super Bowl

2011 Arlington, TX - Fox

2012 Indianapolis - NBC

2013 New Orleans - CBS

2014 East Rutherford, NJ - Fox

It's funny that of the 3 networks in the Super Bowl rotation, 2 are based in New York, but the one that isn't is the one scheduled to broadcast that game. If Fox wins the rights to the Olympics, I'm sure they would love to use the Super Bowl as lead-in advertising, but if they have to trade out, CBS would swap spots with them in a heartbeat. They would save a fortune getting to broadcast the game in NYC being able to do all of their preparations from home. I don't know if that will wind up happening, but I bet it will be discussed, especially if the NFL expands the schedule to an 18-game regular season.

Archived