Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OneTimeOnly

USOC's "New Direction"

In this climate the IOC has some nerve asking for the networks to consider four Games, instead of two. I mean, NBC supposedly lost $223, so why would anyone want to a gamble like this? I know in the past they negotiated contracts well in advance, but times are different today.

I can see an Olympics in PC not garnering too much attention in 2018, and who knows who will be the host in 2020. Rome or a South African city will most likely see higher ratings than a Madrid or Tokyo, but it is asking for some guess work.

I think the networks should jointly agree amongst each other that they will only bid on 2014/2016, but NBC might just play the IOC game. It's their money to lose (or gain) I guess.

In this climate the IOC has some nerve asking for the networks to consider four Games, instead of two. I mean, NBC supposedly lost $223, so why would anyone want to a gamble like this? I know in the past they negotiated contracts well in advance, but times are different today.

I can see an Olympics in PC not garnering too much attention in 2018, and who knows who will be the host in 2020. Rome or a South African city will most likely see higher ratings than a Madrid or Tokyo, but it is asking for some guess work.

I think the networks should jointly agree amongst each other that they will only bid on 2014/2016, but NBC might just play the IOC game. It's their money to lose (or gain) I guess.

Well, Soaring, if NBC lost only $223.00 for Vancouver, then surely one can see why they (the prospective bidders) want to buy the next 4 Games as a package!! :lol:

Had you actually read the article you would have seen that it is actually the networks that are willing to make a 4-Games deal ...

I admit that I just glanced through the article Pure Facts...

My apologies for the misinformed post. I am wondering what the logic of ESPN, FOX and NBC is to buy more games now. ESPN and Fox may see that the transition with NBC/Comcast might give them an advantage since Comcast might be more reluctant to take the gamble. Anyway, this also ups the ante for the USOC negotiations.

Normally, I would be concerned about a 4-Games package, but since the U.S. has no interest in 2018 or 2020 and since they are both guaranteed to be in "unfavorable" time zones (we just don't know HOW unfavorable), I don't see that the USOC really has anything to lose as long as they time their renegotiations properly.

Yes, it would be a gamble for the networks, but is PC vs. Munich really going to change the viewership all that much? How about Durban vs. Rome vs. Tokyo? If I were a network, I would expect the viewership to decline slightly for each of the next 4 Games. If the networks believe in their product, they should be able to formulate a solid bid with acceptable risk.

I think Munich would see higher viewership in the U.S. over PC, I just don't know by how much. 2020 is still a giant question mark though. Again, this is not something that NBC hasn't ever done before. They even negotiated five Games before.

I just think that it is quite risky given the current climate here in the U.S. It is not hard to fathom viewership falling for the Summer Games, especially since our gold medal counts have gone down with the rise in competition from the Chinese, and our diminishing power in athletics. Michael Phelps will also be done after London, so we most likely won't see the amazing craze behind winning medal records any time soon either.

Rio should get real good viewership though. It has a favorable time zone, and is going to be unique.

I think Munich would see higher viewership in the U.S. over PC, I just don't know by how much. 2020 is still a giant question mark though. Again, this is not something that NBC hasn't ever done before. They even negotiated five Games before.

I just think that it is quite risky given the current climate here in the U.S. It is not hard to fathom viewership falling for the Summer Games, especially since our gold medal counts have gone down with the rise in competition from the Chinese, and our diminishing power in athletics. Michael Phelps will also be done after London, so we most likely won't see the amazing craze behind winning medal records any time soon either.

Rio should get real good viewership though. It has a favorable time zone, and is going to be unique.

Phelps may be done, but I'm not sure Ryan Lochte will be...

No doubt that there will still be great American swimmers in competition for years to come, but I don't think anyone will rise to Phelps' level in the near future.

No doubt that there will still be great American swimmers in competition for years to come, but I don't think anyone will rise to Phelps' level in the near future.

I'm sure someone said that during Mark Spitz's time.

Lo and behold, 36 years later...

I'm sure someone said that during Mark Spitz's time.

Lo and behold, 36 years later...

I didn't say there won't ever be another Michael Phelps, but there most likely won't be another in the near future.

I didn't say there won't ever be another Michael Phelps, but there most likely won't be another in the near future.

It remains to be seen.

How closely do you follow swimming?

If anyone could match or exceed Phelps, it's Ryan Lochte, considered THE BEST swimmer of 2010, and on the ascendant.

I don't watch it a whole lot outside of the Olympics. Anyway, we will see.

Phelps may be done, but I'm not sure Ryan Lochte will be...

Phelps is actually younger than Lochte. The only reason why Phelps has lost ground recently is because he has lost interest in working hard.

Phelps is actually younger than Lochte. The only reason why Phelps has lost ground recently is because he has lost interest in working hard.

Or is it too much hitting the bong?????

The one year age difference has nothing to do with anything. Michael Phelps has lost ground because he has lost his motivation. On the other hand, Lochte is highly motivated, burning up the lanes at US Nationals and Pan Pacs last year (of which I attended in person every day of the meet). He set a two new world records at Short Course Worlds in Dubai last month as well. Phelps did beat him in two races last weekend at the Austin Grand Prix, but Lochte beat Phelps in the 200IM. Unless you've seen Lochte swimming in person or been following him closely you cannot say he is not a phenomenal swimmer that gives MP a run for his money. A really big run.

Ryan Lochte doesn't have the marketability that Phelps has, but then again, I've only seen Phelps in Subway commercials.

Ryan Lochte doesn't have the marketability that Phelps has, but then again, I've only seen Phelps in Subway commercials.

Well, first of all, we're talking about swimming prowess, but I think you don't know much about Lochte, really. He has his own line of FOOTWEAR sold by Speedo, plus his famous green shoes. He's on the ascendant, like I said.

Check this page out:

http://explore.speedousa.com/ryan-lochte-limited-edition-speedo-footwear-collection/

2010_EXPLORE_RyanLochteCollection_Main.jpg

Make sure you scroll the whole page.

Well, first of all, we're talking about swimming prowess, but I think you don't know much about Lochte, really. He has his own line of FOOTWEAR sold by Speedo, plus his famous green shoes. He's on the ascendant, like I said.

Check this page out:

http://explore.speedousa.com/ryan-lochte-limited-edition-speedo-footwear-collection/

2010_EXPLORE_RyanLochteCollection_Main.jpg

Make sure you scroll the whole page.

My mistake. Don't need to get defensive about it though. I don't know much about him and you are correct on that as I don't watch any swimming outside the Olympic games and maybe the World Championships.