The 2nd Annual GB Logo Competition!

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for the vote we have two options - a poll or we can start a topic and each person posts who they vote for. The former is easier, the latter is rig proof. Your suggestions?

And keep the logos coming - technical prowess will go by the wayside if you have a great idea. Sketch it on a napkin and scan it. There is only 2 weeks or so to go!

A few more of the examples of my logo

Absolutely amazed by your gamestime use images. Very nice.

1. Well, it's a WINTER Games...

2. Japan is better known for its white/off-white/ivory cultured pearls whereas the black pearls are more associated with Tahiti, the south seas, the warmer seas...

People associate winter more with snow...white. "Black" ice has a connotation of dirty, like ice mixed with oil, dirt, etc...

1. I don't get your point. Are pearls a summer thing?

2. I'm not expert on pearls, it's just my concept. I did read that black pearls are more often cultured than they are wild, so I thought they could some from anywhere. The main point is that it's from the sea. Even if I went with a white pearl, it would have to be made into B&W anyway, so having a black pearl is unavoidable.

3. The ice isn't black, the pearl is.

Maybe I should have been more clear with my description. I wanted the emblem to reflect the city/region, not the season. Vancouver's (I know most people don't like it) reflected its city, not winter. Nagano's didn't really scream winter either, in fact it was a flower. Most flowers don't bloom in winter. Torino's was of a building in town.

2. Japan is better known for its white/off-white/ivory cultured pearls whereas the black pearls are more associated with Tahiti, the south seas, the warmer seas...

Just to clarify this point for when voting starts.

One of the most popular and precious pearls available today are the Japanese Black Pearls...The Japanese black pearls are definitely the collector’s items which can add richness to any jewelry box.
From Japanese Black Pearls

Black cultured pearls from the black pearl oyster – Pinctada margaritifera – are not South Sea pearls, although they are often mistakenly described as black South Sea pearls.

from Wikipedia

Thank you Barrack, I think I have too much time on my hands LOL : )

Clearly your free time is well spent. I wish I had more free time to research how to do this and that, but I only have internet at work. :-( Still, very cool stuff. I love the posters the most.

For the vote, I think that a poll will be fine but with a lot of openness

I saw polls(here on GB) in which the voters were recognizable so if it's possible it can be a solution

the vote would be more practical and faster

I mean a vote by post could be a "brake" for the people who don't want to take time to write a post

With this system we can keep a good enough number of voters and protect the vote from fake users

comiermax .. this revised logo is now much better. It is better in style like this And I think that it can be better finalized with gray and white patterns in the black example of it. ;) (becuase the black version is to black. Try gray and white on a black background)

thatsnotmypuppy - on 02 October 2010 - 01:53 AM, said;

The official shortlist and report will be released October 23rd. You have up until then to submit your bid. Try to have them in by October 21 so I have a bit of time to sort through them.

Here is my submission.

dubai2020-logo1.jpg

dubai2020-logo-overall1.jpg

The basic meaning of this logo is to symbolize two opposite worlds coming together. The lines represent the architectural rise of the city itself, world travel, but also in a way form hands. The two worlds are also bowing to one another in respect. I textured the design a bit to represent the desert sand. The two dots symbolize how we were once distant to one another, but they also form eyes which can be interpreted as an Arabian Horse or camel. The colors selected represent fire for the Olympic flame (and desert heat), meeting the sea.

I chose the font to be more on the modern/futuristic side, because it is a city that represents the modern world.

I've been playing around a little more with GIMP and came up with another gamestime use image for my Aomori 2022 submission. I thought that because Aomori is Japan's curling hotspot, I'd throw in an image of a curling rink with my emblem in the ice.

curling.png

Archived