"Westerners have different standards of hygiene"

Stu

Senior officials in Delhi have insisted that the Indian capital will be ready to host the Commonwealth Games. The comments come after the athletes' accommodation was criticised and branded as unfit for human habitation.

International delegates have said the facilities are filthy and unhygienic, just days before athletes arrive. A senior official said Westerners had "different standards" of hygiene, but that the site was being thoroughly cleaned before the opening. Delegates who visited the tower blocks where athletes will live during the games had described them as filthy, with rubble lying in doorways, dogs inside the buildings, toilets not working and excrement "in places it shouldn't be".

Speaking at a news conference in Delhi, Lalit Bhanot, secretary general of the Delhi organising committee, said the authorities understood the concerns shown by some member countries and the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF). But he suggested that the complaints could be due to "cultural differences".

"Everyone has different standards about cleanliness. The Westerners have different standards, we have different standards," he said. Mr Bhanot said the situation was "under control" and that he was "sure and confident" that cleaning in the residential areas would be complete by the time teams start arriving on 23 September.

What's he talking about??? I'm sure most Indians do mind having "excrement in places it shouldn't be"blink.gif

With just 12 days to go,I'm beginning to wonder just who exactly will show up for these Games, if they ever get off the ground that is?? :blink:

British teams raise Delhi doubts

English trio pull out of Commonwealth Games

Poor Great Britain. They taught the Indians many good things, including the English language. But they overlooked teaching the Indian natives what is meant by "Western standards of hygiene".

They now pay the price for that oversight. :)

Poor Great Britain. They taught the Indians many good things, including the English language. But they overlooked teaching the Indian natives what is meant by "Western standards of hygiene".

They now pay the price for that oversight. :)

sorry - you might be trying to be ironic - but this is quite a distasteful comment! please let's not get into this kind of debate!

sorry - you might be trying to be ironic - but this is quite a distasteful comment! please let's not get into this kind of debate!

It may be distasteful for some (just as some people in India may consider this entire thread offensive in some way or other), but unfortunately, I am simply stating what I observe. So while the British did leave a lasting impression on what is considered "clean and orderly" to Mr Lee Kuan Yew before he turned Singapore into a city so clean the Europeans now complain as "too clean", for example, somehow the same thing did not happen in India, and nor did it happen in many of the GB's ex-colonies.

I actually do not see this as irony. I see it as a simple lesson of history and that "what goes around comes around".

It may be distasteful for some (just as some people in India may consider this entire thread offensive in some way or other), but unfortunately, I am simply stating what I observe. So while the British did leave a lasting impression on what is considered "clean and orderly" to Mr Lee Kuan Yew before he turned Singapore into a city so clean the Europeans now complain as "too clean", for example, somehow the same thing did not happen in India, and nor did it happen in many of the GB's ex-colonies.

I actually do not see this as irony. I see it as a simple lesson of history and that "what goes around comes around".

I'm afraid I don't quite follow your logic.Different countries have different cultures and ways of doing things.The principal legacy of the British to their various colonies is Parliamentary government,the rule of law and the English language.Everything else is down to those countries themselves.India is an ancient land with an ancient culture that could not be substantially altered by a handful of British administrators in less than a couple of centuries.They could not force Indians to be 'clean and orderly' anymore than they could force Singaporeans to be ' dirty and messy'.They weren't there long enough nor in great enough numbers to make that kind of impression!

India has now been an independent country for more than six decades.Anything that it has achieved or not achieved in that time is down to the Indians themselves!! B)

:angry: It was these images that nearly destroyed NZ's participation at these battered games...The pictures are from the tower they were billited to use!

the bbc have got hold of these im ages of the village - truely shocking:

BBC Commonwealth Village

How did these recently constructed buildings end up in such deplorable condition? Is it possible there were squatters or even the construction workers living there? Dog tracks on new bed mattresses?

I've been to India twice in the last few years. None of what I've seen in pictures surprises me. It is a culture with virtually no work ethic that is corrupt to the bone. <_<

Archived