Delhi 2010 Opening Ceremony Live Chat

cormiermax

Far far far too many speeches, esp when its 3am in the morning lol

It reminded me more of a closing ceremony and at times did not seem to flow very well, however everything after the official stuff was cool. The countdown was crap and The baton relay ending was crap. And i think i counted 5 people making speeches, WTF!!! Can you imagine an Olympic opening, we would be there for days lol.

I blame the undecision of the organizers about who would open the games, the prime minister, the president or Charles :P . So they made them open it together. I dont think this happened back in KL 98 (unless there wasnt any royal guest there, but i dont really know)

Well, I wasn't gonna wake up at midnight Oz time to watch - thankfully - it would have been close to 1.30am before the real stuff started after the speeches and parade of nations etc - but I had it taped to disk and watched first thing.

Overall impressions? I think I agree with a lot of comments here. Nowhere near as polished and slick and spectacular as Beijing or even Doha, but to me filled with more spontaneous joy. Sort of like India itself (which I guess they were trying to get across), colourfully chaotic. Some parts were very derivative - the henna paintings reminded me of Beijing's artwork, the Indian market with the train and the everyday life was similar to Athens' tableaux of history, the Yoga segment had parallels with Athens' DNA helix. But the dancers were interesting, the music was good, and kept a good constant upbeat going. Overall, I'd say Well Done, Delhi and India. Almost does start to have me wandering what they could do in an Olympic class.

I blame the undecision of the organizers about who would open the games, the prime minister, the president or Charles :P . So they made them open it together. I dont think this happened back in KL 98 (unless there wasnt any royal guest there, but i dont really know)

For once, I actually listened to the speeches. Excruciating to see Kalmadi go on, and on, and on, and seemingly acknowledge everyone in India by name ... and then go on the justify and defend the organisation. Yes, a bit juicier than the normal platitudes, if still as tedious.

For once, I actually listened to the speeches. Excruciating to see Kalmadi go on, and on, and on, and seemingly acknowledge everyone in India by name ... and then go on the justify and defend the organisation. Yes, a bit juicier than the normal platitudes, if still as tedious.

Other than the Beijing games and the Singapore YOG, this is also the first time I actually heard the entire speech in full without walking off to make some coffee. It was such fun listening to him trying to rescue his own arse in front of a hostile crowd!

Other than the Beijing games and the Singapore YOG, this is also the first time I actually heard the entire speech in full without walking off to make some coffee. It was such fun listening to him trying to rescue his own arse in front of a hostile crowd!

And he's still going ...

'Kalmadi is blowing his own trumpet'

05kalmadi.jpg

Chairman of the Commonwealth Organizing Committee and President of the Indian Olympic Association Suresh Kalmadi on Monday claimed credit for a spectacular three hour long opening ceremony.

"We had a good beginning with the opening ceremony. Perhaps the best I have ever attended. Many more world records would be broken in the next 12 days," Kalmadi said during an event in the Capital.

"Some athletes have withdrawn from the games not because of dengue fever or security reasons, but because they were not physically fit to be in included in the contingents of their respective nations," he added.

Kalmadi thanked the support staff for making the opening ceremony a success and said, " The team slogged for more then 16 hours a day to make the staging of Commonwealth games a resounding success," he said.

Commonwealth Games Federation chief Mike Fennell, who was critical of the Organizing Committee, too seemed impressed with the show. " The opening ceremony was simply magnificent. It brought out the culture of India. I would say the whole show was spectacular. The transport system worked, the security cover worked. I am pleased with show. But the show is not over yet. There are eleven more days to go," Fennell said.

However there were some senior officials, who weren't impressed by Kalmadi blowing his own trumpet. "Ask him (Kalmadi) when he was telling lies at the opening ceremony even a bee did not like to hear him and kept on troubling him. He even referred former president of India as Dr Abdul Kalam Azad. The spectators did the right thing by booing him.

"He deserves a place elsewhere with a white payjama and kurta and look after the garden. He is more like Shakespeare's man Iago who was known for what the bard says "one can smile and smile and still can be a villain. No wonder the Prime Minister keeps him out of the meetings," the official charged.

Others senior games officials of Indian Olympic Games too weren't happy with Kalmadi's attitude. "With a good ceremony behind him he is now busying blowing his own trumpet," said a woman associated with the games.

Redif.com