Delhi 2010 Opening Ceremony Live Chat

cormiermax

I liked the joy and spontaneousty of the performers, which was a huge contrast to Beijing ones.

I really feel we cannot compare what appear to be professional dancers doing traditional dance which they have experience in, versus mostly soldiers doing performances they have never done before in their lives. As I mentioned, the Indians were smart to stick to the traditional, which really do not require tonnes of practices and rehearsals compared to contemporary dance taught to non-dancers. They were probably told to just be themselves and do what they have always done, and that is why we could clearly see the natural spontaneity on display.

I did also see this once in the Beijing games: the part towards the end when the various ethnic groups in China did their traditional dances as the fireworks exploded overhead. Pity this segment was short and not featured prominently as was the case here.

The different methods of transportation on India...this reminds me of Athens closing, just that a bit more happier

It reminds me of Doha 2006 Asian games where 6 regions of Asian were presented in each train. It also looks similar to Beijing 2008 closing ceremony where the performers beat the huge portable drums. Comparing to Athens 2004 opening ceremony, Delhi's trains seemed spontaneous while athens's one was so artistic and fine!

Of course it wasn't, but there were some things better about it.

i personally think that the only thing that better than Beijing 2008 was the atmosphere and the overwhelming response from the crowd.

The overall performance was not creative enough, it just only a bunch of dancers spent their time on the stage. At first the different mode of dancing were good... after that... they kept repeating their dancing for quite a long time... eventually it became mundane. Just like Doha 2006, the performers danced for a long time while waiting the 6 trains to be evacuated from the stage, this made the dancing part became very ordinary...

Luckily the show reached its climax with AR Rahman's commonwealth song and Jai-Ho song, really can't believe that they sang the slumdog millionaire song... but i liked it. :D

for I'm watching the Opening on CBC.ca's Live Demand....I'm quite impressed so far, that is - except Kalamdi's speech, which sounds like dribble from an insecure yet somehow ego-maniac. I'm at Fennell's speech right now, nice speech.

• Like 1

Sadly I had no way to watch it live here, (looks like I'm one of the few non-commonwealthers interested in these games <_< ) but I saw a video in Youtube of the first 15 minutes of the ceremony and looks like most of it was pure musical performance, it could have been good at the beginning, just hope the rest of the ceremony wasn't like that or it would have been very monotone.

Can someone pls inform the rest of us non-commies when the OC is up and running on YouTube...and maybe post the links here? Glad to hear it's been an enjoyable one so far.

Thanks.

WOW!! Just seen some OC stills from SSC, and it looks like a smashing OC!!

WHy hasn't anyone posted some here?

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Can someone pls inform the rest of us non-commies when the OC is up and running on YouTube...and maybe post the links here? Glad to hear it's been an enjoyable one so far.

Thanks.

WOW!! Just seen some OC stills from SSC, and it looks like a smashing OC!!

WHy hasn't anyone posted some here?

Blackbollywood on Youtube is uploading the whole ceremony. Here you can start watching it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVu-tXxdvQo&feature=player_embedded

However its not a very good quality. I gues we'll have to wait a day or two until a HD version is up somewhere, on Youtube or in torrent.

Far far far too many speeches, esp when its 3am in the morning lol

It reminded me more of a closing ceremony and at times did not seem to flow very well, however everything after the official stuff was cool. The countdown was crap and The baton relay ending was crap. And i think i counted 5 people making speeches, WTF!!! Can you imagine an Olympic opening, we would be there for days lol.