Sydney Olympic Park: Construction Images

For those of you who would like to see how to get a major sporting precinct developed and years before the games (please take note fans of Delhi and before that Athens, whilst Londoners, you know what I'm talking about :D ) here are some photos taken in the period 1997-2000 in Sydney's Olympic Park area:

4989178103_4420bf5252.jpg

Sydney Olympic Stadium circa 1997

4989178509_7812b0f3b1.jpg

Looking towards SOS from the south-west circa 1997

4989179243_00d2f23e71.jpg

Vision from Hill Road looking south-east to SOS and Pavilions circa 1997. Note absence of what is now ACER arena and the large tumulus which was piled up from waste soil was still to be raised.

4989785366_32657115ce.jpg

Looking towards Sydney Showground and RAS Pavilions circa 1997. This area would become Olympic Boulevarde. Out of sight to the left was the developing SOS whilst hidden on the right was Olympic Park train station development.

More to come....

Thanks for these, it's interesting to compare them with our site as it is at the moment (which you can see in the live webcam pics in my signature) - be great to see some more if you have them.

At the other end of the process, of course is the park after the Games, and on that note I wonder what you, and other Ozzies here, think of this news report from Sky today:

Link to video

Thanks for these, it's interesting to compare them with our site as it is at the moment (which you can see in the live webcam pics in my signature) - be great to see some more if you have them.

At the other end of the process, of course is the park after the Games, and on that note I wonder what you, and other Ozzies here, think of this news report from Sky today:

Link to video

First off some more pics:

4989783336_7feabe6409.jpg

Sydney Olympic Stadium pylon/walkway under construction (Rob, the Multiplex signage has echoes of London ;) )

4989178509_7812b0f3b1.jpg

Another view of the stadium under construction circa 1997

4989784534_240c594584.jpg

Sydney Olympic stadium late 1998

Rob, as for the video and report from SkyNews some of the comments are quite accurate however it has to be said that the last 10 years of state Labor government have not been the most forward thinking, and the interview with local opposition leader Barry O'Farrell has to be placed into the context of an upcoming state election. The legacy issue was not well handled to some extent, but as for tourism let's not forget less than 1 year after Sydney there was 9/11 with the associated downturn in international tourism across the board. London to be honest wont have problems with tourism because it is already a huge drawcard and sits within 3-7 hours of hundreds of millions of people from highly developed economies. Sydney 2000 was never going to be able to surmount logistical barriers to tourism such as 20-odd hours flights.

Archived