Music used during 1996 Atlanta's Parade of Nations?

SkiFreak

Anyone happen to know what music was used during the Parade of Nations/Athletes in Atlanta?

I was watching the vids on Youtube, and could only identify 3. It starts out with Bugler's Dream, then switches to Yanni's Santorini. Not sure what comes after that because it's hard to hear due to the commentary. Yanni's Standing in Motion is also used in there later on. Anyone happen to have a full, in-order song list?

If you will buy the Holy Book of Ceremonies, you will see that they used music that is in the public domain because performance clearance rights' (and musicians' unions' rules) had become so much stricter, more expensive and onerous by 1995. There's a little more info in THE Holy Ceremonies Book. ;)

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Actually Simple Gift is not used during the Athletes Parade but for the entrance of the Olympic Flag.

Jean-Michel Jarre's Chronologie Part 4 and Oxygene are two other compositions used during the Athletes Parade.

Except for two or three tracks, I've managed to find the majority of the opening ceremony with the help of this blog. Now I'm trying to piece together the Parade of Nations by trying to identify the tracks in Youtube videos.

I'm going to have to listen for the Jean-Michel Jarre stuff. Any idea at what point it plays?

They seem to be going at a quick pace, coming down the ramp.

If you watch all 13 parts, you'll find out why - just note that there seems to be one part of the Parade of Nations missing.

Well I went thru all the clips again yesterday, I was only able to identify a few:

• Bugler's Dream - Leo Arnaud
  • Santorini - Yanni
  • unknown, but sounds familiar
  • bunch of unknown orchestral music
  • Standing in Motion - Yanni
  • Chronologie Part 4 - Jean Michel Jarre
  • Chariots of Fire - Vangelis

Then it loops again minus Bugler's Dream. When the US team finally shows up, the loop switches to John Williams' Olympic Fanfare and Theme, followed by some marching band songs - one of which I think is Stars and Stripes Forever (I recognize the tunes, but I forget the names of all the marching band songs).

I wasn't able to pick out where Jean Michel Jarre's Oxygene played, and I wasn't sure which part of Oxygene played (there's 6 parts to Oxygene - wasn't sure which one).

So, if anyone recognizes the other music that is played, it would be great to know.

The Radetzky March is among the orchestral pieces.

Thanks! :)

What do you mean?

I am watching Athens and they seem to enter at a glacial pace! The placard holders really need to pick things up.

I am totally in support of the full parade of nations, I just like it when they come in faster.

The athletes were in the stadium next door and they weren't being let into the main stadium fast enough. It's explained by the commentators. You'll also see a number of the older officials lagging behind their athletes, that couldn't keep up.

That 3rd song, the one that plays after Santorini, it's bugging me. I've heard it before. It's either an early Yanni, another Jean Michel Jarre, or a Vangelis - maybe. :unsure:

Atlanta had a great idea there with bringing the athletes in down the ramp, too bad the execution was so flawed.

One good thing came out of it, Bob Costas' remark about "people unwittingly defecting" remains one of my all-time favorite remarks by a commentator, and I laugh every time I watch the tape.

Just listening to the Youtube vids again. The song that plays after Chronologie Part 4 is also familiar, but I don't know the title. You can hear it in Part 5/14 at the 2:45 mark when France is coming out.

It's synthesizer music. It could be another Yanni, maybe John Tesh? Was his music ever used during the Olympics?

I don't know if Tesh's music was used in 1996, but he sure made a lot of people cringe with his sappy gymnastics commentary. How many times did we hear about Vitali Scherbo nearly quitting after his wife's near-fatal auto accident.

I did a Google search if Tesh supplied any music for the Olympics, and my search came up empty, so I guess it isn't Tesh. Maybe it's Vangelis? I thought it could've also maybe have been Jan Hammer, but it's not, at least I haven't found any info on Jan's involvement with the games. Could it be another Jean Michel Jarre? other than just two or three songs, I'm actually not that familiar with JMJ's stuff.

Anyway...

I had another run thru the vids and took some notes, but since part 3 is missing, I started watching and listening with part 4 of 13, however if you start with part 1...

• Bugler's Dream - Leo Arnaud
  • Santorini - Yanni
  • etc... (part 3/13 is missing on Youtube)

Part 4 of 13

• Chariots of Fire - Vangelis (starts at approx. 1:15)
  • Stading In Motion - Yanni (starts at approx. 4:20)
  • Chronologie Part 4 - Jean Michel Jarre (starts at approx. 9:30 - carries over to part 5/13)

Part 5/13

• Unknown - synthesizer music (starts at approx 2:45)
  • Unknown - classical/march music (starts at approx 5:20)

Part 6/13

• Unknown (plays when Great Britain enters)
  • Unknown - classical (plays when Guatemala enters - starts playing at approx. 4:10)
  • Loop starts over
  • Santorini - Yanni (starts at approx. 8:20)

Part 7/13

• Unknown - synthesizer music (starts at approx. 0:50 - when Iran enters)
  • Unknown - synthesizer music
  • Unknown - classical (starts at approx. 7:15)
  • Unknown - classical

Part 8/13

• Unknown - classical
  • Unknown - classical (starts at approx. 5:00)
  • Change in loop order - Skips Chariots of Fire

Part 9/13

• Standing in Motion - Yanni (starts at approx. 1:15)
  • Chronologie Part 4 - Jean Michel Jarre
  • Unknown - synthesizer music (starts at approx. 6:20)

Part 10/13

• Chariots of Fire - Vangelis
  • Santorini - Yanni
  • Unknown - synthesizer music (carries over to part 11/13)

Part 11/13

• Unknown - synthesizer music
  • Unknown - Classical (when Sweden enters)
  • Unknown - Classical (starts at approx. 3:50 when Turkey enters)
  • Unknown - Classical (starts approx. when Virgin Islands enter)

Loop switches to different music when Team USA enters

• Olympic Fanfare and Theme - John Williams (carries over to part 12/13)

Part 12/13

• Stars and Stripes Forever
  • Unknown - march music - it's very familiar, just can't think of it right now

Part 13/13

• Unknown - march music

I commend your perseverance in regards to these pieces of music. I wish I knew more of the titles myself. I must have watched that ceremony a hundred times while I was still on my buzz from attending the Games, but for the longest time I didn't know many of the titles myself. I loved Santorini, but it took until 2004 before I found out what it's title was and who composed it. Don't get discouraged, sometimes you get lucky and just stumble unto these things when you least expect it, especially in the internet age.

Atlanta had a great idea there with bringing the athletes in down the ramp, too bad the execution was so flawed.

One good thing came out of it, Bob Costas' remark about "people unwittingly defecting" remains one of my all-time favorite remarks by a commentator, and I laugh every time I watch the tape.

link? link?

oh, i found it

http://il.youtube.com/watch?v=5Fmk2bS8OWk

• 6 years later...
On 9/25/2010 at 1:59 PM, BTHarner said:

I commend your perseverance in regards to these pieces of music. I wish I knew more of the titles myself. I must have watched that ceremony a hundred times while I was still on my buzz from attending the Games, but for the longest time I didn't know many of the titles myself. I loved Santorini, but it took until 2004 before I found out what it's title was and who composed it. Don't get discouraged, sometimes you get lucky and just stumble unto these things when you least expect it, especially in the internet age.

Who would have imagined that, when I wrote this post seven years ago, we would have an Olympic Channel where you could watch the opening ceremonies (at least from 1988 on) without commentary (I think 2016 has the commentary though).  Some of the other titles I was able to uncover by using the Shazam app on my phone include:

French National Defile March https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vU6L_7IgcY

Crown Imperial https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WMrQe87gRk

Coronation March https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=coronation+march+tchaikovsky

Hands Across the Sea https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnlZuUptyHw

Stars and Stripes Forever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mRn9chmRAY

Washington Post March https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzIH7vytjEE

There are others that Shazam cannot identify.

I do not know if any of the other posters from 2010 still visit here, but I hope this proves helpful if they hadn't found this info since then.