Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Soaring

Cities to Host an Olympic Session

What is your ideal cities to host an Olympic congress?

Here is a little history. Do you notice any trends?

To be held:

2011 - Durban (will select 2018 Winter Olympics Host)

2013 - Buenos Aires (will select 2020 Summer Olympics Host)

Past host cities for sessions that did not occur during an Olympic Games (over the last 50 years):

*2009 - Copenhagen (Rio de Janeiro selected)

2007 - Guatemala City (Sochi selected)

2005 - Singapore (London selected)

2003 - Prague (Vancouver selected)

2002 - Mexico City

2001 - Moscow (Beijing selected)

1999 - Lausanne

1999 - Seoul (Turin selected)

1997 - Lausanne (Athens selected)

1995 - Budapest (Salt Lake City selected)

*1994 - Paris

1993 - Monte Carlo (Sydney selected)

1993 - Lausanne

1991 - Birmingham (Nagano selected)

1990 - Tokyo (Atlanta selected)

1989 - San Juan

1987 - Istanbul

1986 - Lausanne (Barcelona and Albertville selected)

1985 - West Berlin

1984 - Lausanne

1983 - New Delhi

1982 - Rome

*1981 - Baden Baden (Calgary and Seoul selected)

1979 - Montevideo

1978 - Athens (Sarajevo and Los Angeles selected)

1977 - Prague

1975 - Lausanne

1974 - Vienna (Lake Placid and Moscow selected)

*1973 - Varna

1971 - Luxembourg City

1970 - Amsterdam (Denver and Montreal selected)

1969 - Warsaw

1967 - Tehran

1966 - Rome (Sapporo and Munich selected)

1965 - Madrid

1963 - Baden Baden (Mexico City selected)

1962 - Moscow

1961 - Athens

* IOC Congress

Sorry I meant to write: "What is your ideal cities to host an IOC Session?" Hosting an IOC Congress does not occur as often.

The U.S. should host one at some point. There's lots of cities that could raise their hand up for that one. I think the USOC should try for a seesion instead of one of those silly youth games.

The U.S. should host one at some point. There's lots of cities that could raise their hand up for that one. I think the USOC should try for a seesion instead of one of those silly youth games.

You really don't get it.

One thing I found rather interesting when compiling the list is that over the past 20 years, every IOC session that chose a host for either a Summer or Winter Games selected a host outside of the continent of the IOC session. The exception to this was in 1997 with the selection of Athens in Lausanne.

The other interesting fact is that the U.S. has never hosted an IOC Session that did not occur during the time of a U.S. city hosting an Olympics. This goes for Canada as well.

Soaring, we had a thread, or part of a thread previously, covering the same ground...and same observations were made. I believe when it can, the IOC sets their selection sessions in a continent which would have no vested interest.

Now, whakinda question is that: what "...is your ideal cities"?* :blink:

The ideal city is of course the SUCKER ONE, as in the Games, who will pay for everything!! WHy should the IOC spend one red cent if there are patsies to do it?? B)

*grammatically, that should either be: "what is your ideal city" or "what are your ideal cities?" ;)

Lisbon sounds good. It is also important to note that there has never been an IOC Congress outside of Europe.

I don't think the U.S. has to host a session. We have hosted plenty already due to the amount of times we hosted the Games. I think countries in N. and S. America who won't have a chance at landing a Games anytime soon should have a greater priority. But if we were, cities in far flung places like Honolulu or Anchorage would be better than on the mainland.

These are cities I think should be considered for an IOC session in Latin America:

Guadalajara, Mexico

Monterrey, Mexico

Bogota, Colombia

Quito, Ecuador

San Jose, Costa Rica

Panama City, Panama

Santiago, Chile

the IOC sessions' host cities, the consolation prize? :blink:

well, cities that could -or that i want- to host that.

Nairobi

HK

Barcelona

Lima

Montevideo

Beirut

These are cities I think should be considered for an IOC session in Latin America:

Guadalajara, Mexico

Monterrey, Mexico

Bogota, Colombia

Quito, Ecuador

San Jose, Costa Rica

Panama City, Panama

Santiago, Chile

Mexico City has hosted it previously and Acapulco is a favorite meeting site of the Executive Board.

For those other SA capitals. After Guatemala in 2007 and BA in 2013, it'll be awhile before another Latin American capital will host (aside from 2016)...not unless the list of other would-be sucker hosts, dries up.

In my opinion only cities that don't have any chance of receiving Summmer or Winter Olympic Games should apply to host an IOC session, so that at least those cities can have some olympic related experience. This is why I said Lisbon would be perfect to receive this event, besides the fact that it has great expertise in these types of events, Lisbon will never get an OG in the XXI century, there isn't any national support for a bid and we are in a lousy state of affairs in our economy. Also, we are too small for even to appear in the IOC's radar when it concerns hosting an OG.

In my opinion only cities that don't have any chance of receiving Summmer or Winter Olympic Games should apply to host an IOC session, so that at least those cities can have some olympic related experience. This is why I said Lisbon would be perfect to receive this event, besides the fact that it has great expertise in these types of events, Lisbon will never get an OG in the XXI century, there isn't any national support for a bid and we are in a lousy state of affairs in our economy. Also, we are too small for even to appear in the IOC's radar when it concerns hosting an OG.

That may be difficult to predict at times, and would limit a lot of European countries in general which may upset a good number of IOC members. I can see a lot of countries in the developing world someday becoming capable, but it is out of their reach for the moment (Argentina being one of them).

Vancouver, Toronto or Montreal should be hosting an IOC session.

I can see a lot of countries in the developing world someday becoming capable, but it is out of their reach for the moment (Argentina being one of them).

The thing with Argentina, though, is that there pretty much, more or less, already developed. At least more developed than their South American neighbors like Bolivia, Paraguay, Peru, Ecuador & any of the Central American countries. They just hit a very bumby road along their path of 'development'.