Delhi 2010 Opening Ceremony

mattygs

There is without a doubt lots of negative news regards to Delhi 2010, thought I'd start the usual ceremony thread in light of the much hyped and expensive Aerostat being unleashed on the Delhi skies.

They have just inflated and tested the aerostat which is to be the focal point of the opening ceremony. It's been raised 10m, and will rise a further 20m in the next few days. Supposedly a large stage will be situated below. The Aerostat will have lighting features, will reflect light, be a projection screen, and will also lift props.

Other bits and pieces of information, there will be a 90ft face bamboo tree covered in textiles. Also, currently the infield is covered by a number of layers. A waterproof protective layer, a special covering which can withstand pressure loads of up to 10ton a m, and it will be topped off by a blue carpet.

610xkp.jpg

Matty, where do you get this info?

Just through my daily trawls through the indian newspapers, as ya do. Balloon has been provided by k events, the Torino 2006 mob, I think stage one was also involved.

Apparantly the names of some of the segments are swagatam, rhythm of India, celebrations, tree of knowledge, great Indian journey, and mahatma.

Remarkably though, some of the score is still to be completed.

Another pic of the aerostat, but a bit more close and detailed

610xl.jpg

Even with the bad hype, i'm still interested to see what kind of show will India put (and i'm glad that they are apparently not going to use much Bollywood stuff ._. )

What about some dragon breathing at the cauldron? How could they miss the chance to do it????

I think fire-breathing 'dragons' are a western concept.

But they were going to use a 'Phoenix' to 'snatch' the flame from Li Ning, and then self-combust in the cauldron.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Well, probably they're trying to be not stereotypical with their ceremonies. But hey, Vancouver poked a lot of fun of themselves with their closing ceremony and it was a sucess. But we've already heard the last year that the main theme of the ceremony will be the ''Chakra'' or the Wheel of Life.

I wonder how are they going to use those tunnels they build below the arena. Are they going to rise stuff from the ground like previous olympic ceremonies?

Artists will emerge from the tunnel. I think they will build a stage right in the centre of the arena which will be constructed by StageOne. India's 5000 years old culture and tradition will be on the showcase.

Some mannequins and other props will be airlifted by aerostat which may arise from the tunnel.

According to this link: http://www.dgreetings.com/commonwealth/2010-commonwealth-opening-ceremony.html indian shooter Abhinav Bindra will carry the queen baton on the Opening Ceremony. However i'm not sure about it since, if i remember right, he was also the one who started the relay (however its nothing new. Midori Ito was both the first and last torchbearer in Nagano 98 for example)

In case you dont know, he won a gold medal at Beijing 2008 (Men's 10 m air rifle) as well for the 2002 and 2006 CWG.

220px-Abhinav_Bindra_rediff.jpg

The site also notes that the ceremony will last for two and half hours, and it will start at 7:00 PM. It is expected that Prince Charles will be present.

The site also notes that the ceremony will last for two and half hours, and it will start at 7:00 PM. It is expected that Prince Charles will be present.

The ceremony will be attented by Prince Charles as Queen would not be able to do so.

More information: Australian firm Howard & Sons has been roped in to for fireworks at the ceremonies. The company had earlier been involved in Melbourne CWG. The fireworks will start from the stadium's roof as the countdown comes to an end which will culminate in a thirty-second display. There will be eight-round fireworks during the cermony and the ceremony will end with a five minutes firework display from in and around the stadium. :rolleyes:

Prince Charles will attend the ceremonies.

INFO: Australian firm Howard & Sons has been roped in for fireworks. At the starting the fireworks will start from the stadium roof culmninating in a 30 second display. There will be 8 round fireworks during the ceremony. At the end, fireworks will start from stadium roof and surroundings and will last for 5 minutes. Similar is being planned out for the closing ceremony.

Don't forget that there will be no elephants in Delhi :unsure:

well, they already showed up in Johannesburg. The trek to Delhi would tire them out.

According to this link: http://www.dgreetings.com/commonwealth/2010-commonwealth-opening-ceremony.html indian shooter Abhinav Bindra will carry

On starting to read that and then seeing the Aerostat thing, I immediately thought he would get the honors to shoot it down as the Grand Finale of the Opening Ceremony.