Delhi 2010 Opening Ceremony

mattygs

Not really sure what to take in from the video, couldn't really tell what was going on.

Same..It wasnt a complete rehearsal anyway (for example there were supossed to be fireworks at the countdown) so some details are missing. The publisher said that he will put more vids tomorrow

He also took that one down.

Yeah i just noticed. Good thing i saved the vid on time :lol: . Anyway if you're interested on details, you probably think its a bit unoriginal that they used yet another drum sequence for starting a ceremony XD (the reflector-like things arround the arena are actually huge drums which are banged by people). Also, some persons start to come from underground the stage (reminds me a bit of the beggining of Melbourne 2006 OC)

Rumours of the use of sticks in the opening ceremony, wow. haha.

In all honesty, it does appear to be a good show, I think perhaps it will be a return to the old school style of opening ceremony, rather than the more *concept* driven ceremonies of the likes of Athens and Melbourne.

Strictly speaking though, it's not completely true that it's the first time the athletes have been seated in the stands to watch the majority of the opening ceremony. Auckland did something similar and had special seating for the athletes.

There was a brief Maori powhiri opening number, and then the athletes marched around the track and took their seats - leaving them to watch the majority of the rest of the cultural performances.

The opening ceremony shows here in New Zealand in the early hours of the 4th October. This is also the date of my 4 year anniversary of joining Gamesbids. I shall be having an extra beer for that one :)

Here's more on the art of sand-sculpting since the World Championships apparently are currently in play outside Seattle, WA.

http://www.worldchampionshipofsandsculpting.com/

It really looks like a fascinating new art form but I don't see how it can be applied to a performing event like an Opening Ceremony where things need to move. We shall see what unfolds this weekend.

Anybody know where it can be watched within U.S. airspace?

• Like 1

Here's more on the art of sand-sculpting since the World Championships apparently are currently in play outside Seattle, WA.

http://www.worldchampionshipofsandsculpting.com/

It really looks like a fascinating new art form but I don't see how it can be applied to a performing event like an Opening Ceremony where things need to move. We shall see what unfolds this weekend.

Anybody know where it can be watched within U.S. airspace?

Perhaps the slow and precarious shaping of sand into something static is some kind of carefully composed self-referential ironic symbol for the Kalmadi Kapers Baron...'Delhi 2010, built on sand and took bloody forever to get there' kind of motif :lol:

Hello peeps...

Have not been actively involved in the forum for so long..

Delhi's preparation has so far been interesting :) I really hope they could do an "Athens" and make it a great games nevertheless.

Malaysian world no 1s... Lee Chong Wei (men's singles badminton), Khoo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong (men's doubles badminton), Nicol David (women's singles squash), Safuan Said (men's singles Lawn Bowls) have already checked in at the games village by yesterday.

At the opening ceremony, Malaysia's flag bearer will be Siti Zalina, the women's singles lawn bowls gold medalist in Manchester 2002 and Melbourne 2006, trying for a hattrick in Delhi.

Other world class performance by Malaysians can be expected in Diving, Track Cycling, and Archery.

I will not be watching the games on Astro in Malaysia as I will be in Frankfurt for 10 days beginning tomorrow. So I'm just gonna be depending on the Internet and you guys :)

Oh I read that Jai Ho is one of AR Rahman songs that will be performed, together with his CWG commissioned song.

I suspect it's gonna be a very colorful opening ceremony.

• Like 1

Hello peeps...

Have not been actively involved in the forum for so long..

Hi 'theone',

how is it going, mate? Glad to see you again!

I will not be watching the games on Astro in Malaysia as I will be in Frankfurt for 10 days beginning tomorrow. So I'm just gonna be depending on the Internet and you guys :)

Oh I read that Jai Ho is one of AR Rahman songs that will be performed, together with his CWG commissioned song.

I suspect it's gonna be a very colorful opening ceremony.

poor guy, it is quite cold here right now (at the moment 8°C) (but the forecast says the next week will be very sunny again = golden october - in some parts it shall be 25°C again) - it is a pitty that Germany doesn't show/doesn't show much of the CWG - I would love to watch the OC, since the pics are really promising...

Just saw highlights of the rehearsals of the opening. They only showed close shots of dancing, seems to be a very people based ceremony, as opposed to technology based (though in saying that it also features the highly technical aerostat. Seems to be more in the style of KL , rather than Melbourne.

Looked pretty decent.

Hi 'theone',

how is it going, mate? Glad to see you again!

Hey CAF.. not too bad here.. :)

poor guy, it is quite cold here right now (at the moment 8°C) (but the forecast says the next week will be very sunny again = golden october - in some parts it shall be 25°C again) - it is a pitty that Germany doesn't show/doesn't show much of the CWG - I would love to watch the OC, since the pics are really promising...

Anyone knows any network showing live online telecast of the OC?

So excited. Been waiting for this since the snooze fest of Melbourne.

Anyway, Dikshit just said Delhi needed a "central command authority"...no **** Sherlock, have they not heard of the ODA?

She says though its not her fault since nobody listens to her.