Durban 2020: Official Thread

Rafa

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For a Summer Olympics, Durban needs at least a couple of hotels with 500+ rooms. Also, all those cruise ships should be able to fit within the harbour, some in the coast area or near the main stadium. And the land that is occupied by Durban's old Airport will be set aside for industrial usage.

For a Summer Olympics, Durban needs at least a couple of hotels with 500+ rooms. Also, all those cruise ships should be able to fit within the harbour, some in the coast area or near the main stadium. And the land that is occupied by Durban's old Airport will be set aside for industrial usage.

the old airport is more likely to be a dug out second port focussing on container, petro chemical and vehicle export traffic (with the large Toyota plant next to it)

^I always think that argument is dubious bcuz that's really not always the case.

There have been several one-time bidders that have won; Atlanta, Turin, Seoul, Sarajevo, etc. And Austrslia kept changing their bid city until they finally clenched it. So I don't think South Africa coming in with a different city this time is a detriment in the least.

Interesting. I didn't know about Atlanta and Seoul.

Well, I think that the IOC meeting is a boost for them.

^I always think that argument is dubious bcuz that's really not always the case.

There have been several one-time bidders that have won; Atlanta, Turin, Seoul, Sarajevo, etc. And Austrslia kept changing their bid city until they finally clenched it. So I don't think South Africa coming in with a different city this time is a detriment in the least.

Not to mention that Barcelona and London did not place bids anywhere near the time they were selected - Barcelona put in a bid for the 1936 Games, Madrid for the 1972 Games, and London did not bid since they last hosted in 1948 (although Manchester and Birmingham placed several bids between 1986-1993).

Other first time bid cities to host - Sochi 2014, Nagano 1998, Albertville 1992, Munich 1972 (hosted the 1959 Congress), and Sapporo 1972.

I think Durban has a good shot at landing these Games, and it has been a while since the IOC chose a "lesser known" city for an SOG. I welcome it.

Even if Durban loses, it would make it all the more compelling to choose Joburg or CT for another Games. I hope it doesn't come to that, because I would really like the IOC to get the sentimental factors settled so the USA can come strong for a 2028 bid (assuming Durban gets 2020, Paris gets 2024, and no successful USA winter bid). It would be a real fight between Asia and N. America for 2028.

^And that even further illustrates that you don't necessarily have to be a repeat bidder to get the Games.

And the contrary is true, too: Repeat bidders don't always win. Just ask Detroit, Ostersund, Paris, Madrid, Toronto, Sofia & Salzburg.

So in the end, it's just all a wash.

Agreed. There is no receipt or path to be successfull.

It seems that timing, lobbying and continental rotation are strong deals in the bid race, but not only this.

Indeed, can exist other "hidden" things we don't know or even imagine about the vote.

Well, I wish good luck to Durban. When they release a logo I'll put it on my signature. I'd be glad to see games in South Africa =]

Funny thing: this could almost be a classic case study for Olympic politics.

It could be argued that the only serious threat Durban has at the moment is a potential Tokyo bid, one that could be dispatched fairly easily if the 2018 WOG are given to PC... a vote being held, ironically enough, in Durban.

Funny how the bid by Durban could, in theory, affect not just the 2020 race, but the 2018 race as well.

Funny how the bid by Durban could, in theory, affect not just the 2020 race, but the 2018 race as well.

Uhmmmm...that's kinda discombobulated logic. I don't see how a selection to be made 2 years later (by a different set of technical factors -- the summer IFs vs. the Winter IFs) could impact the choice of the 2018 Winter site. Durban's bid would be like a subliminal message to the IOC, but first and foremost in the minds of the IOC members, and their primary order of business to tackle there, is the selection of the 2018 host. Yes, the selection of PC might have the (un)intended effect of fallout for any Tokyo hopes, but the fact that the vote is taking place in Durban is just entirely coincidental.

Uhmmmm...that's kinda discombobulated logic. I don't see how a selection to be made 2 years later (by a different set of technical factors -- the summer IFs vs. the Winter IFs) could impact the choice of the 2018 Winter site. Durban's bid would be like a subliminal message to the IOC, but first and foremost in the minds of the IOC members, and their primary order of business to tackle there, is the selection of the 2018 host. Yes, the selection of PC might have the (un)intended effect of fallout for any Tokyo hopes, but the fact that the vote is taking place in Durban is just entirely coincidental.

Not with the foreknowledge that Durban is bidding. Given that the full IOC will be in Durban for the 2018 vote, it's a good chance to sell the city in advance and, if the IOC likes what they see, why not make Durban's path to 2020 that much easier by taking a potential threat off the board early?

You're right in that it SHOULDN'T have any impact on the 2020 race, but it may.

Rome hosted an IOC session in 1923 and 1949 and bid for 1924, 1936, 1944, but didn't hosted before 1960

Lausanne hosted an IOC session in 1929 and 1946 and bid for 1936, 1944, 1948, 1960 but has never hosted so far...

Barcelona hosted an IOC session in 1931 and bid for 1936, but won only due JAS for 1992

Vienna hosted an IOC session in 1951 and bid for 1964, but didn't won

Mexico City hosted an IOC session in 1951 and bid for 1956, 1960 and didn't hosted before 1968

I doubt that you are able to draw a conclusion between hosting an IOC-session and a sucessful bid for Olympics.

Not with the foreknowledge that Durban is bidding. Given that the full IOC will be in Durban for the 2018 vote, it's a good chance to sell the city in advance and, if the IOC likes what they see, why not make Durban's path to 2020 that much easier by taking a potential threat off the board early?

But you're assuming at this point that Tokyo will even bid. What if it doesn't? Then your theory goes out the door.

Frankly, at this point only Doha is the other certain 2020 bidder.

Frankly, at this point only Doha is the other certain 2020 bidder.

And what about Rome? Rome is the only city we know that will bid so far. Durban will probably bid, but it hasn't been confirmed yet. Doha is like Madrid and Istanbul, cities that want to bid and have expressed their intentions, but nothing official...

And what about Rome? Rome is the only city we know that will bid so far. Durban will probably bid, but it hasn't been confirmed yet. Doha is like Madrid and Istanbul, cities that want to bid and have expressed their intentions, but nothing official...

Rome has made some noise BEFORE the World Cup and developments of the last day or so. That doesn't make their stand official.

With 5 Italian members in the IOC (who can't vote anyway if Rome is running) and who would have a feel for their colleagues' thinking, I think they may advise CONI to think this through very carefully or just cool it. And the deadline for 2020 anyway isn't until fall next year, so...

And where should Durban's Olympic Village be located?

You tell us since you seem to have all the venues plotted out.

But doncha think they will find (or at least have in mind) an appropriate location...as all Olympic cities eventually do? :rolleyes:

Oooops. Just saw a photo that shows Durban, land of the turbans :lol: , with a revolving restaurant. They will get 2020!!

You tell us since you seem to have all the venues plotted out.

But doncha think they will find (or at least have in mind) an appropriate location...as all Olympic cities eventually do? :rolleyes:

Oooops. Just saw a photo that shows Durban, land of the turbans :lol: , with a revolving restaurant. They will get 2020!!

Gerring mental with me, eh, you psychiatrist? I can't tell you since I don't know what the undetermined venue may have to be a new venue which is accidentally put in the site of a non-stadium-related project, I only get the existing venues and the suggested venues.

I am totally behind an African Olympics, but only if they can put forth a solid, confidence-inspiring bid. Durban has a long way to go to prove that they're ready. If they rise to the task, they will win, but it's far from a done deal.

Regarding the IOC session, it is a huge opportunity. However, negative or mediocre impressions can be just as indelible as good ones. They need to pull out all the stops next year if they're serious about 2020.

If Durban can't quite deliver the goods this time around, either Europe or Asia (whichever doesn't host 2018) will get 2020. South Africa would then compete again with the either Europe or Asia (whichever doesn't host 2020). Provided that South Africa hosts in either 2020 or 2024, I think the U.S. will bid for 2028 and will face off against either Europe or Asia (whoever has missed out on both 2020 and 2024).

Durban keen for Olympic bid despite R1,4bn price tag

10 Fri, Sep 2010

Durban has been named as the only candidate from South Africa to bid for the 2020 Olympic Games, with the tagline ‘The warmest place to be’.

The news of the intention to bid comes in spite of costly estimates by the Ethekwini Municipality. At a meeting of the municipality’s executive committee, City Manager, Michael Sutcliffe said the Olympic bidding process could cost between R292m and R1,4bn.

Durban was the only city to submit a proposal to bid, despite South Africa’s Sports Confederation and Olympic Committee’s (Sascoc) extending invitations to three other cities, Johannesburg, Cape Town and Port Elizabeth.

The next step will be for government to meet with city officials to decide whether a formal bid will be submitted.

SATSA CEO, Michael Tatalias, has said in a previous letter to Tourism Update Online that Durban is actually positioned as the ideal city to host the Olympics out of all of the country’s potential hosts. Tatalias cites various reasons for his opinion including that which the event has to be in the European summer and that the IOC fears altitude. Also, Durban designed the Moses Mabhida stadium to handle athletics and it is right next door to Kings Park, which can handle a significant amount of events itself.

He furthered that there is already a large Olympic pool across the road from Moses Mabhida and there is sufficient land around Moses Mabhida precinct to build all the other sports facilities required.

The open land around the stadiums can be expanded by using unused rail/transnet land for the massive train station and there is already a well-linked metro rail system that can be expanded. There is also a large amount of land around the new large airport that could be used for the athletes’ village.

http://www.tourismupdate.co.za/NewsD...x?newsId=22473

Archived