Durban 2020: Official Thread

Rafa

A message to other bidders. Don't even bother bidding

4396132300_4cc6d0aa1d_z.jpg

Durban puts hand up for 2020

Tuesday September 7, 2010

It’s official — Durban was the only South African city to submit a bid to possibly host the 2020 Olympic Games.

South Africa’s Olympic governing body SASCOC invited four cities to apply for the hosting rights — Cape Town, Durban, Port Elizabeth and Johannesburg.

But it was confirmed by SASCOC’s CEO Tubby Reddy at the national Olympic governing body’s Annual General Meeting at the weekend that of those four cities only the coastal city of Durban submitted a bid.

The bidding process is now finalised as far as SASCOC are concerned and the decision on whether a formal bid will be submitted to the International Olympic Committee (IOC) for consideration now rests with the national government.

Extensive investigation and feasibility studies will now be done as national and local government attempt to get buy-in for the bid.

After the IOC Session to be hosted in Durban in August, 2011, the IOC will then send a formal invitation for countries to submit bids for the right to host the Summer Games.

The IOC executive board then conducts its own exhaustive investigations before the host for the 2020 Olympics is finally announced at the IOC Session in Buenos Aires, Argentina in 2013.

http://www.sascoc.co....nd-up-for-2020

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So is that stadium track-friendly? Or will they need another one?

I guess when SASOC sent out the invites, that pretty much lined up the 4 'soccer satellite' cities.

Well, CT, ya got the UN Climate Conference; you can probably get the 2022 CWG and the 2022 Gay Games. It looks like those are open.

Durban should be making an official bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics soon, and if it wins the contest, it will be the first city in Africa to host a Summer Olympics. Let's start off with the venue plan (which is actually from one of my posts from last month):

Ceremonies: Moses Mabhida Stadium - 75,800

Diving: Durban aquatics Centre - 12,000

Swimming: Durban aquatics Centre - 12,000

Synchronised Swimming: Durban Aquatics Centre - 12,000

Water Polo: Durban Aquatics Centre - 12,000

Canoe/Kayak Sprint: undetermined venue

Canoe/Kayak Slalom: undetermined venue

BMX: undetermined venue

Mountain Biking: undetermined venue

Road Cycling: undetermined venue

Track Cycling: new venue

Artistic Gymnastics: New Durban Arena - 12,000

Rhythmic Gymnastics: undetermined venue

Trampolining: New Durban Arena - 12,000

Beach Volleyball: new venue

Indoor Volleyball: undetermined venue

Equestrian: new venue

Wrestling: undetermined venue

Archery: Kingsmead Cricket Ground - 23,000

Athletics: Moses Mabhida Stadium - 75,800

Badminton: undetermined venue

Basketball: undetermined venue

Boxing: undetermined venue

Fencing: Inkosi Albert Luthuli International Convention Centre

Field Hockey: new venue

Football: Moses Mabhida Stadium - 75,800, Soccer City Stadium, Johannesburg - 91,141, Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town - 69,070, Charles Mopeli Stadium, Phuthaditjhaba - 40,000, Pietermaritzburg, undetermined sixth venue

Handball: Inkosi Albert Luthuli International Convention Centre Arena - 10,000

Judo: undetermined venue

Modern Pentathlon: undetermined venue

Rowing: undetermined venue

Sailing: Durban Harbour

Shooting: new venue

Table Tennis: undetermined venue

Taekwondo: undetermined venue

Tennis: new venue

Triathlon: undetermined venue

Weightlifting: Inkosi Albert Luthuli International Convention Centre

Golf: Windsor country Club/Durban Country Club

Rugby 7s: Kings Park Stadium - 55,000

And then a list of the largest hotels in Durban:

1. Southern Sun Elangeni - **** - 450 rooms - built 1971, 1973

2. Garden Court South Beach - *** - 411 rooms - built 1972

3. Garden Court Marine Parade - *** - 344 rooms - built 1985

4. Durban Hilton - ***** - 327 rooms - built 1997

5. Southern Sun North Beach - *** - 280 rooms - built 1978

6. Royal Hotel - ***** - 272 rooms - built 1979

7. Blue Waters Hotel - *** - 265 rooms - built 1972

8. Umhlanga Sands - *** - 237 rooms - built 1977

9. Cabana Beach - *** - 218 rooms - built 1976

10. Suncoast Hotel - ***** - 180 rooms - built 2006

There is no track yet. Its grass for now but obviously the track gets put in when needed.

Oh, apologies. But I take it the configuration of the stadium won't need to be changed as the space is already there for it?

Well, this is interesting. Durban doesn't have the international name recognition that either CT or Johannasburg does, but then again, it can be argued neither did Barcelona or Atlanta and they still won the SOG.

The race for 2020 just got really interesting. Very interested to see the bid. I was up until a month or so fully expecting CT, so we'll just see here.

What makes Durban a strong candidate compared to Cape Town or Joburg besides their stadium?

Well, that one's of 3 VERY major factors. The other 2 are:

- the FULL IOC is going to have a first-hand look at the city next July which NO OTHER 2020 wannabe will have the luxury of;

- I think the July-August weather is better in Durban that it will be in CT.

While name recognition is important in most cases, it's not the only element of a bid.

Barcelona obviously had a lift from the support of then IOC president JAS. It was his Hometown. Seoul only had Nagoya to contend with. And when Atlanta was running, really the only city with a significant international name was Athens. Melbourne had already hosted, Montreal didn't help Toronto much, & Manchester & Belgrade were gamma cities at best.

Durban's big plus is that it's in Africa. The only continent left that's yet to have the honor. I don't think the IOC is going to be too preoccupied that; "well, the SAOC didn't pick Cape Town, so just fuggetabutit". It's not that black-&-white. One has to look at the bigger picture. An African Olympics would be much more about Africa, & not necessarily just about the 'picture perfect, post card' city.

While name recognition is important in most cases, it's not the only element of a bid.

Barcelona obviously had a lift from the support of then IOC president JAS. It was his Hometown. Seoul only had Nagoya to contend with. And when Atlanta was running, really the only city with a significant international name was Athens. Melbourne had already hosted, Montreal didn't help Toronto much, & Manchester & Belgrade were gamma cities at best.

Durban's big plus is that it's in Africa. The only continent left that's yet to have the honor. I don't think the IOC is going to be too preoccupied that; "well, the SAOC didn't pick Cape Town, so just fuggetabutit". It's not that black-&-white. One has to look at the bigger picture. An African Olympics would be much more about Africa, & not necessarily just about the 'picture perfect, post card' city.

Correct. And it's really just to appeal to about 58 voters. And they'll have ALL of them there next year.

(Frankly, I think it was hard to find a way to have diverted most of the IOC members from Durban to CT...which is why maybe CT thought better of it.)

Correct. And it's really just to appeal to about 58 voters. And they'll have ALL of them there next year.

(Frankly, I think it was hard to find a way to have diverted most of the IOC members from Durban to CT...which is why maybe CT thought better of it.)

Actually, I was just wondering. Will the Durban session be the first time a full IOC session has been held in a city which will be bidding for the next immediate games to be awarded?

I'm torn - on one hand I am very glad that South Africa bids for 2020, since I believe that South Africa "deserves" the Olympics, but on the other hand I think Durban has a smaller chance to weather a tough international competition with major world metropoles (like Rome, Tokyo etc. etc.)

I was very impressed by Durban during the WC, but if this is enough for the Olympic bid competiton is something different...

Durban should be making an official bid for the 2020 Summer Olympics soon, and if it wins the contest, it will be the first city in Africa to host a Summer Olympics. Let's start off with the venue plan (which is actually from one of my posts from last month):

Ceremonies: Moses Mabhida Stadium - 75,800

Diving: Durban aquatics Centre - 12,000

Swimming: Durban aquatics Centre - 12,000

Synchronised Swimming: Durban Aquatics Centre - 12,000

Water Polo: Durban Aquatics Centre - 12,000

Canoe/Kayak Sprint: undetermined venue

Canoe/Kayak Slalom: undetermined venue

BMX: undetermined venue

Mountain Biking: undetermined venue

Road Cycling: undetermined venue

Track Cycling: new venue

Artistic Gymnastics: New Durban Arena - 12,000

Rhythmic Gymnastics: undetermined venue

Trampolining: New Durban Arena - 12,000

Beach Volleyball: new venue

Indoor Volleyball: undetermined venue

Equestrian: new venue

Wrestling: undetermined venue

Archery: Kingsmead Cricket Ground - 23,000

Athletics: Moses Mabhida Stadium - 75,800

Badminton: undetermined venue

Basketball: undetermined venue

Boxing: undetermined venue

Fencing: Inkosi Albert Luthuli International Convention Centre

Field Hockey: new venue

Football: Moses Mabhida Stadium - 75,800, Soccer City Stadium, Johannesburg - 91,141, Cape Town Stadium, Cape Town - 69,070, Charles Mopeli Stadium, Phuthaditjhaba - 40,000, Pietermaritzburg, undetermined sixth venue

Handball: Inkosi Albert Luthuli International Convention Centre Arena - 10,000

Judo: undetermined venue

Modern Pentathlon: undetermined venue

Rowing: undetermined venue

Sailing: Durban Harbour

Shooting: new venue

Table Tennis: undetermined venue

Taekwondo: undetermined venue

Tennis: new venue

Triathlon: undetermined venue

Weightlifting: Inkosi Albert Luthuli International Convention Centre

Golf: Windsor country Club/Durban Country Club

Rugby 7s: Kings Park Stadium - 55,000

And then a list of the largest hotels in Durban:

1. Southern Sun Elangeni - **** - 450 rooms - built 1971, 1973

2. Garden Court South Beach - *** - 411 rooms - built 1972

3. Garden Court Marine Parade - *** - 344 rooms - built 1985

4. Durban Hilton - ***** - 327 rooms - built 1997

5. Southern Sun North Beach - *** - 280 rooms - built 1978

6. Royal Hotel - ***** - 272 rooms - built 1979

7. Blue Waters Hotel - *** - 265 rooms - built 1972

8. Umhlanga Sands - *** - 237 rooms - built 1977

9. Cabana Beach - *** - 218 rooms - built 1976

10. Suncoast Hotel - ***** - 180 rooms - built 2006

That hotel list has changed a bit lately and will continue to change as so far in 2010 15 new hotels opened (1200 rooms) and a further 10 are underconstruction/expanding (850 rooms) and another 5 have been confirmed with no work yet commenced (520 rooms).

The new one's that have opened which have entered that list were:

Holiday Inn Express Umhlanga - *** - 245 rooms - 2010

Garden Court Umhlanga Ridge - *** - 205 rooms - 2010

Protea Umhlanga Ridge - **** - 205 rooms - 2009

Fairmont Zimbali Resort - ***** - 200 rooms - 2010

The new one's that have opened which have entered that list were:

Holiday Inn Express Umhlanga - *** - 245 rooms - 2010

Garden Court Umhlanga Ridge - *** - 205 rooms - 2010

Protea Umhlanga Ridge - **** - 205 rooms - 2009

Fairmont Zimbali Resort - ***** - 200 rooms - 2010

Better yet, start taking options on the larger cruise ships by next year or so...(and where is our resident cruise ship expert, the inimitable Jim Jones??? :blink: ) and you could probably get 16-18,000 rooms right there. But you gotta build berths for at least 6 of those giant liners and all its support facilities. But in its bid, Durban should be able to show commitments from Carnival, P&O, Holland-America, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, etc., of their ability to commit their liners for at least 2.5 weeks there in Durban. I think your Tourism Dept should work on that and to give the cruise lines good breaks for doing Durban a favor.

I'm torn - on one hand I am very glad that South Africa bids for 2020, since I believe that South Africa "deserves" the country, but on the other hand I think Durban has a smaller chance to weather a tough international competition with major world metropoles (like Rome, Tokyo etc. etc.)

I was very impressed by Durban during the WC, but if this is enough for the Olympic bid competiton is something different...

I dont think anyone thinks it will be easy, heck the country still needs to finalise if it is definately going to go forward with the bid. It does seem very likely we will bid though. Durban in many ways, as the world cup showed, is a bit of a hidden city. We have the glorious fall from grace story. The city went through a tough time in the 90s and early part of the 21st century. It has however used the world cup and a wrath of new infrastructure to turn this around and come out shining in 2010. Yes it does not have the international image of Cape Town to the general man in the street, but as others have said, it is not really appealing to the man in the street, it is appealing to a select group of people that will decide if they think it is worthy to host the games in 2020. Therefore if you look at next years conference, it is really a make or break event. If things go incredibly well and the cities goes out on a limb to wow the IOC they will leave a long lasting positive impression that could serve them very very well for the bid two years later as the memories will be fresh in their minds. If things somehow go wrong, kiss the bid goodbye.

If you look back at all the actions and steps the city have taken you tell that they have had a very strong focus on this Olympic goal in everything they have done for the past 5 years. They are still moving forward with the 10000 seater indoor arena and sports science institute within the Kings Park sports precinct and people that have been leasing space in buildings earmarked for demolition have been told they need to be out by the end of October...seemingly something is about to happen there.

With or without the Olympics alot of work is being done around the city. The magic of the bid is that it will spur other projects to the fore far quicker. The current $30 billion high speed rail project between Durban and Johannesburg will be given further fuel. So too will the new marina in the ocean offshore which has been a very controversial project.

Yes Durban seems like something that has popped out of nowhere to some, probably due to the vast coverage given to Cape Town over the years, and it still remains a long shot in many senses. But look into what the city is about. The precinct and the possibilities and also the fortunate hand the city has got:

7th World Conference on Sport, Education and Culture in December at the ICC. This is an IOC event. The city needs to structure events around this to highlight the changes a foot in the city, to focus attention onto the fact that we are a sports mad and sports focused city. THe new cafes on the revamped beachfront need to be up and running. events need to be organised that push the outdoor culture here.

The next event to leverage is the Indaba 2011 (7-11 May 2011). Enhance the legendary beach parties, talk up new ventures at this the 3rd largest tourism gathering in the world held in Durban every year.

Then the June-September conference season begins, with a large number of events to place the city in the global spotlight. The 27th INTERNATIONAL CONFEDERATION OF MIDWIVES CONGRESS (3000 people), The 13th ISSI International conference (2000 people), The 2011 WASLI Conference (700 people) and then following the massive WORLD FEDERATION OF THE DEAF CONGRESS (5000 people)

All of these are taking place within a period of 6 weeks. In the middle of them, the most strategically important of all takes place, The 123rd International Olympic Committee Session . All of these events will seek to put forward the message that Durban can host multiple large events within a tight time period. It will showcase the weather of the city during the most likely Olympic period and it will more than likely serve as the launch pad for the SA bid - with Durban the current front runner.

There are so many other events that follow to build this credibility more. COP17 in December 2011 with 20000-30000 people would be a huge coup for whichever city gets it in SA, but if Durban succeeds in winning that event too it will serve as a huge event to leverage for a bid. The logistics of organising something of that size and importance with the likely demonstrations and global media attention will do wonders of further enhancing the cities global standing.

And the 2013 World Transplant Games, while after the voting for the 2020 host, will definately serve to show that the city can bid for and win large global sports events, beating out Tokyo for the honour.

All in all, an incredibly toughroad lies ahead for those that will steer the cities Olympic ambitions. What seemed like to so many as foolish gesturing and "Durban trying to be something it is not" is slowly starting to alter perceptions of this once sleepy town. And the fact that Durbanites and fellow South Africans are openly saying the city can do it is a massive turnaround of faith that shows just how far Durban has come from.

Better yet, start taking options on the larger cruise ships by next year or so...(and where is our resident cruise ship expert, the inimitable Jim Jones??? :blink: ) and you could probably get 16-18,000 rooms right there. But you gotta build berths for at least 6 of those giant liners and all its support facilities. But in its bid, Durban should be able to show commitments from Carnival, P&O, Holland-America, Royal Caribbean, Celebrity, etc., of their ability to commit their liners for at least 2.5 weeks there in Durban. I think your Tourism Dept should work on that and to give the cruise lines good breaks for doing Durban a favor.

Completely agree. There is plan to dig out the old Durban airport site which closed when the airport moved in May 2010 to the new King Shaka International airport on the northern side of the city.

This is a massive project which will serve the city, which handles near 70% of SA's containerised traffic and is rapidly nearing capacity. If this takes place then a large number of extra berths would become available in the existing port.

I do think however, with natural growth, you could expect an extra 5000 rooms in the city by 2020 without the Olympic push. Do not forget though that Durban is at the centre of a massive tourism belt that stretches north and south of the cities with tens of thousands of holiday apartments, hotels and resorts that will continue to grow themselves in the years ahead as well.

... it will become very interesting how the IOC esteems its meeting in Durban next year in june...

I mean when the city is a good host the IOC might have Durban in good memories in 2013, when the host city for 2020 is elected...

... and another advantage for Durban is that the weather is there better in july/aug/sep than in Cape Town

OK, Durban, listen up!!

You will need a very catchy theme song to drum in the IOC members' ears there next July. This is a good strategic, recall tactic, so that when the vote comes around in 2013, you can use the theme song for the video and it should bring back the good impressions the IOC'ers would've had of their session in Durban in 2011.

Unless you get an original tune, may I suggest starting with "Southern Nights"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8eI1LgHWKQ&feature=related

Get Shakira, Beyonce, Celine or someone of that stature who goes big with the older male demographic of the IOC, and implant that image and song into the subconscious next year...which then should build up to the presentation in BA in 2013.

OK, I got a working title..."Come Back to Dear Old Durban!"

(For this bit of pro advice, of course, I expect to be consulted on the Opening Ceremony and/or at least 2 tix.) ;)

Also, look at some of Durban's Sister cities (per WIki):

Chicago, Illinois, United States

Antwerp, Flanders, Belgium

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

I have a question.

Any risk about IOC liking that the cities try few bids before winning? If we see the last winners, all of them tried few times before get the games.

Based on that, isn't Cape Town better to bid fo 2020?

Anyway, I'm supporting any South Africa bid to 2020. I think it's really "Africa's time"... smile.gif

^I always think that argument is dubious bcuz that's really not always the case.

There have been several one-time bidders that have won; Atlanta, Turin, Seoul, Sarajevo, etc. And Austrslia kept changing their bid city until they finally clenched it. So I don't think South Africa coming in with a different city this time is a detriment in the least.

I'm torn - on one hand I am very glad that South Africa bids for 2020, since I believe that South Africa "deserves" the Olympics, but on the other hand I think Durban has a smaller chance to weather a tough international competition with major world metropoles (like Rome, Tokyo etc. etc.)

Well, do you think that Hamburg could hold it's own against the likes of Tokyo, Rome, Paris, etc? If your answer is yes, then so could Durban. Plus, yet once again, Durban would have the *Africa* "x-factor".

Archived