Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LuigiVercotti

TOP Sponsors and Olympic Bids

8 members have voted

1. 1. Does having a TOP sponsor from your country help your bid?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I was posting in the thread re the 2018 bids and their respective Plan Bs and I was thinking about Samsung's potential impact upon PC 2018. Then when looking at the other TOP sponsors you have ATOS which is nominally French (thus perhaps influencing Annency's hopes even with Dutch and British links) and no German TOP contributors, which then gives thought to how important is the presence of a TOP sponsor for a future bid. We've seen controversy since the so-called Coca Cola games of Atlanta, and as supporters of NYC and Chicago can attest VISA and McDonalds seemed to do very little to enhance their chances.

Therefore does it help to have your bid supported or associated with a TOP sponsor, or is it a spurious association?

I think the TOPs should speak up more. I would if I did...after all US$50 mil isn't chump change. When John Hancock was a sponsor, their then-CEO very effectively told the USOC and the IOC what he wanted to see. Hancock came back later, and I imagine some issue was resolved to that CEO's satisfaction. More of them should make their choices known to that patsy organization, namely the IOC.

I think the TOPs should speak up more. I would if I did...after all US$50 mil isn't chump change. When John Hancock was a sponsor, their then-CEO very effectively told the USOC and the IOC what he wanted to see. Hancock came back later, and I imagine some issue was resolved to that CEO's satisfaction. More of them should make their choices known to that patsy organization, namely the IOC.

Ah yes, Hancock certainly aired their dissatisfaction with the Wily Old Falangist and his cronies. You have to wonder how much of a shake out was there in the less salubrious ranks of the IOC due to the US Congress investigation contrasted with the threat to their revenue stream when Hancock got all high and mighty. Course down the round a few tears later and we still see the big end of town wanting to splurge on the five ring circus.

I think it can certainly be a help, but as I mentioned in one of the 2018 bid threads (the one where you brought up Samsung, Seb), it can also be counterproductive if they become too partisan and try too much of the hard sell. It's probably better to stand back, stay officially neutral and practically schtumm, and just let you're mere presence in the TOP ranks do the talking. Word was that Samsung, for example, did as much harm as good for the 2014 PC bid with their strong "support". Would McDonalds signing up to totally fund and aggressively support Chicago's 2016 bid have helped? I doubt it. On the other hand, if Chicago did win, I'm sure much would have been made of the McDonalds connection, as Coca-Cola was indelibly linked in many people's minds with Atlanta.

The other thing is, at the TOP level, the sponsors are signing on for a global program and to build international profile more than domestic. Most are gonna have the domestic market in their corporate home countries sewn up anyway.