Sign in to follow this  
Sir Rols

Christchurch Quake

:( Aerial shots now being broadcasted... of the Pine Gould Building, 31 people still trapped...Ohhh!

...The Cathedral...the city's heart...no spire!

The CTV building, rubble and on fire.

...Press Building, rescuers on the roof trying to break through to trapped workers.

Massive road and infrastructure devestation.

The old Provincial Building has now been destroyed.

Edited by Alexjc88

... In Oz, gay men are barred as blood donors.

:angry: What kind of F@#ked up rule is that!!!

manch620.jpg

macs620.jpg

buildn620.jpg

building620.jpg

2569629646.jpg

fog620.jpg

quake620.jpg

rocks620.jpg

The Pine Gould building just looks terrible, there are still people in there.

:angry: What kind of F@#ked up rule is that!!!

A totally f@#ked rule, dating to the early days of the AIDs epidemic.

The bad news just keeps coming. Now we're getting reports of bodies being pulled from a YHA hostel in Chch.

:( Death toll: 65 confirmed by Prime Minister (now in Christchurch) so far.

Help from Australia and USA on their way.

ohh, my god - I hope the number of fatalties doesn't rise anymore - and I pray for the victims and their families and friends

christchurch114_v-banner3x1.jpg

christchurch112_v-grossgalerie16x9.jpg

%7B837488EA-62F2-48A8-815A-D50FFEDB3B33%7DPicture.jpg%7B7DA1934D-6826-4D3D-90E9-9C970702533F%7DPicture.jpg

... the "ring of fire" around the pacific doesn't come to rest - wasn't there another earth quake in Chile recently?

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

ohh, my god - I hope the number of fatalties doesn't rise anymore - and I pray for the victims and their families and friends

christchurch114_v-banner3x1.jpg

christchurch112_v-grossgalerie16x9.jpg

%7B837488EA-62F2-48A8-815A-D50FFEDB3B33%7DPicture.jpg%7B7DA1934D-6826-4D3D-90E9-9C970702533F%7DPicture.jpg

... the "ring of fire" around the pacific doesn't come to rest - wasn't there another earth quake in Chile recently?

The bottom right picture is the Pine Gould Building, this is where the death toll is expected to soar. :(

Pictures of Lyttleton are comming in...The downtown area has been destroyed. The road tunnel is still closed off and reports comming in is that the tunnel has caved in with cars inside.

Is it just my impression or is Earth currently trying to wash, burn, blow or shake us human beings off because we weren't very kind to her?

What a tragedy, I just woke up and heard it on the morning news. You in Australia and New Zealand really got it bad recently. And it always makes me fear for my home region which is also prone to earthquakes, although only minor ones so far.

building620.jpg

2569629646.jpg

%7B7DA1934D-6826-4D3D-90E9-9C970702533F%7DPicture.jpg

The bottom right picture is the Pine Gould Building, this is where the death toll is expected to soar. :(

It seems these pictures are all from the same house, but from different point of views - is that right?

Is Pine Gould an office building? I hope that they find survivors under the debris...

Sorry, maybe my question sound strange, but I haven't had time so far to read more about it - at what local time was the earth quake?

Edited by Citius Altius Fortius

Is it just my impression or is Earth currently trying to wash, burn, blow or shake us human beings off because we weren't very kind to her?

What a tragedy, I just woke up and heard it on the morning news. You in Australia and New Zealand really got it bad recently. And it always makes me fear for my home region which is also prone to earthquakes, although only minor ones so far.

We should thank god, that we live in a "safe" area by way of comparision...

(after I contacted the Aussie embassy in Berlin for donation for the bush fires in Victoria and the floodings in Queensland I will contact the embassy of New zealand and asking, where I can do a donation for the quakes now)

Is Pine Gould an office building? I hope that they find survivors under the debris...

Yes, and it's getting desperate as it is now dark, and raining with the night tempreture dropping...also the destroyed CTV building still has 21 people unaccounted for...bodies have just been pulled out from the CTV rubble.

Edited by Alexjc88

Tv3 news have reported tonight that the death toll could rise to 200-400. So terrible. I was at work in wellingotn when it happened. We felt it in Parliament. A very sad occassion and the sitting of parliament was suspended from 3pm today.

There is now heavy rain in Christchurch

Just woke to the news of the quake. Thoughts are with everyone concerned. Glad that everyone I know and people from GB all seem safe.

I read in a newspaper article that people are trapped in the office buildings, since the stairhouses of the buildings collapsed - the fire rescues are trying to get the people out of the buildings, but since it became dark and very rainy it is a tough job...

neuseeland166_v-grossgalerie16x9.jpg

neuseeland172_v-grossgalerie16x9.jpg

neuseeland176_v-grossgalerie16x9.jpg

neuseeland184_v-grossgalerie16x9.jpg

neuseeland180_v-grossgalerie16x9.jpg

My condolences to the victims of this tragedy, i hope everyone will be OK soon...

Well, I assume today we'll still be counting and following the toll, but thoughts already are starting to go towards how this is going to affect NZ's big moment later this year:

Christchurch quake: World Cup games in doubt

Five World Cup games and two quarterfinals scheduled for Christchurch are in jeopardy after yesterday's big quake.

The seven matches are due to be played at AMI Stadium in September and early October, but officials may have to reallocate them because of the damage to hotels, restaurants, roads and other infrastructure throughout the Christchurch area.

The Wallabies and their Christchurch-born coach, Robbie Deans, are due to be based in the city where they will play pool games against Italy and Russia.

England and Argentina are both scheduled to play two games at the stadium.

Christchurch is also due to host two quarterfinals on the weekend of October 8, with the All Blacks set to play on the Sunday if they finish top of their pool against Tonga, Japan, Canada and France.

Cup organisers said yesterday that it was too soon to consider the implications for the tournament.

"It is way too early to be thinking about what this means for the World Cup," said Mike Jaspers, communications manager for the event.

"We are just thinking about friends, relatives and all the people who have been affected by this."

Hospitality Association of New Zealand chief executive Bruce Robertson said it was far too early for speculation less than 24 hours after the quake struck. "It is not even on anyone's horizon yet."

The New Zealand Rugby Union had difficulty contacting officials at the Canterbury Rugby Union or Crusaders staff and said they had no reports of any problems with the city's rugby stadium.

The rejuvenated AMI stadium opened in January last year. It was playing host to the US-NZ 2011 Partnership Forum when the quake struck. All delegates were reported safe.

A US group of 43 government, business and community leaders was attending the forum, which began on Monday and was due to end last night.

A Rugby World Cup fan zone has been planned for Cathedral Square.

* A transtasman netball league match between the Canterbury Tactix and Northern Mystics that was scheduled to be played at Christchurch on Sunday has been postponed.

League organisers and Netball New Zealand will now work through arrangements to reschedule the game for a later date.

NZ Herald

Terrible scenes from Christchurch! My heart goes out to the victims and their families.Thank God all our Kiwi friends on here are all accounted for and safe (I hope)!

What's causing all these big quakes on the South Island? There was one just a few months ago wasn't there? Is this usual for NZ or are these totally out of the blue? :blink:

The Antipodes are certainly getting more than their fare share of disasters at the moment!! :(

Terrible news! When I saw there was a 6.3 Mw earthquake I thought it was a 'minor' one... but then I saw the depth and the videos on Youtube and it reminded me of my earthquake of last year. It seems it was a really big one.

So sad for the ones that have lost a friend or a relative... but as any disaster, people will stand up and continue with their lives. I'm really sure New Zealand will recover after these tragic events.

Terrible scenes from Christchurch! My heart goes out to the victims and their families.Thank God all our Kiwi friends on here are all accounted for and safe (I hope)!

What's causing all these big quakes on the South Island? There was one just a few months ago wasn't there? Is this usual for NZ or are these totally out of the blue? :blink:

The Antipodes are certainly getting more than their fare share of disasters at the moment!! :(

New Zealand is in the Pacific Circle of Fire, with Japan, Chile, Alaska and California... which is the most seismic place in the world. There have been a lot of earthquakes in the past (in 2009 there was a 7.9) but most of them are off the coast. The most damaging one in the past was the 1931 one, 7.8 Mw in Hawke's Bay.

It seems this one was an aftershock of the 7.1 of past September. It is common to have relative large aftershocks some months after an earthquake (in the past weeks we had 5 earthquakes over 6.0 Mw and one of 7.0 Mw). The problem in this case is that it was really shallow and the soil looks very soft, amplifying the waves and suffering liquefaction.

Earthquakes are quite commmon here in NZ but this one in Christchurch has occured on a hidden fault line which was unknown of until the quake in september last year. However becasue NZ is so sparsely outside of Auckland, deaths are quite uncommon. We've been expecting 'the big one' for ages but everyone expected it to be in Wellington due to it being built directly on the Ohariu fault line.

75 confirmed dead.

300 still missing.

:( The 27 story Hotel Grand Chancellor, Christchurch's tallest building, is on the verge of collapsing into the battered CBD. The fear is that the shockwave of this will devestate even more ruined buildings.