Jump to content

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, FYI said:

I guess someone else likes to be a drunk, party-goer.

oh ffs.

it's ridiculous to blame someone for getting robbed. do you tell rape victims that they were really asking for it by wearing those clothes?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BTW, this issue has nothing to do with Rio de Janeiro and Olympic Games. The security in Brazilian Grand Prix in Sao Paulo is made exclusively by Police Force of Sao Paulo state. It's a problem fo

My God, don't they have enough problems! {couldn't resist}

Uh, maybe because they are great ways to show what's going on in and around Rio. Keep posting please

3 hours ago, Dylanlip said:

Except we still don't know much of anything other than what the USOC wants to confirm. It's a matter of believing who you wanna believe right now. If Lochte really was robbed by cops, would they (the cops) not then want to hide that? How are we sure if any Brazilian police statement or judges word is verifiable if there's a potential conflict of interest? The answer is we're not. It's pretty hard to convincingly prove that the swimmers are lying about being robbed, or even being held at gunpoint, because petty theft and street crime is still rampant. We have many other less notable athletes who have been robbed by now. What point is there to prove by trying to take their passports and branding them liars? Save face slightly?

 Plus, taking the 2 other swimmers off their home-bound plane for holding isn't exactly a good way to avoid an international incident.

This post? Not looking so good today. 

The good news is now we not only know what happened that night, but we know why the pool water kept turning green. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

^Speaking of rape, do you remember the duke lacrosse rape case from ten years ago? Many people thought those three guys were guilty at first, only to find out that the "victim" LIED about the whole thing. 

Lochte & his pals could be telling the truth, but then again, they may not. Their stories are not collaborating. Lochte has tweaked his story now. The video of them returning to the Olympic village (over three hours after the alleged incident, BTW) doesn't really show any of them in any state of duress. Items they claimed were "stolen" in the incident, appeared to still be with them in the video as well.

So yeah, let's keep saying that it's the Brazilians that are of course the ones in the wrong bcuz they're "corrupt" Brazilians in the first place. Cuz no one has ever lied about a crime before. -_-

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, FYI said:

^Speaking of rape, do you remember the duke lacrosse rape case from ten years ago? Many people thought those three guys were guilty at first, only to find out that the "victim" LIED about the whole thing. 

Lochte & his pals could be telling the truth, but then again, they may not. Their stories are not collaborating. Lochte has tweaked his story now. The video of them returning to the Olympic village (over three hours after the alleged incident, BTW) doesn't really show any of them in any state of duress. Items they claimed were "stolen" in the incident, appeared to still be with them in the video as well.

So yeah, let's keep saying that it's the Brazilians that are of course the ones in the wrong bcuz they're "corrupt" Brazilians in the first place. Cuz no one has ever lied about a crime before. -_-

i dunno what we're even arguing about anymore, however i do believe that victims should not be automatically assumed to be lying or falsely reporting crimes, because all that does is lead to lower reporting rates for legitimate crimes.

anyway, it's all moot since it appears that lochte did indeed lie about being robbed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kraussie-kraussie-kraussie said:

i dunno what we're even arguing about anymore, however i do believe that victims should not be automatically assumed to be lying or falsely reporting crimes, because all that does is lead to lower reporting rates for legitimate crimes.

anyway, it's all moot since it appears that lochte did indeed lie about being robbed.

- and there's the problem. Given that people are capable of lying, a claim to be a victim of crime has to be treated with caution. I wonder what the penalty for lying about that is in Brazil?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FYI said:

^Speaking of rape, do you remember the duke lacrosse rape case from ten years ago? Many people thought those three guys were guilty at first, only to find out that the "victim" LIED about the whole thing. 

Lochte & his pals could be telling the truth, but then again, they may not. Their stories are not collaborating. Lochte has tweaked his story now. The video of them returning to the Olympic village (over three hours after the alleged incident, BTW) doesn't really show any of them in any state of duress. Items they claimed were "stolen" in the incident, appeared to still be with them in the video as well.

So yeah, let's keep saying that it's the Brazilians that are of course the ones in the wrong bcuz they're "corrupt" Brazilians in the first place. Cuz no one has ever lied about a crime before. -_-

What items do they claim were stolen? All I heard that was stolen was cash. Not sure about credit cards or the items they walked in with them. What Brazilians found suspicious is they were left with their cell phones and watches and whatnot, which is not normally the case in Brazilian robberies. And Lochte even said this the first time he said it on NBC that they did not take their watches and phones.

Link to post
Share on other sites

So the swimmers not only lied to the international media causing international tension, they also vandalised a private property and were violent towards locals. Man if you defend vandals, in Simons else's country, then there's something pretty messed up with you.

I wonder how many more similar made up stories have appeared since the beginning of the Olympics. Like last night, some Australians returned drunk to the Village and tried to excuse it to their committee saying they had been robbed. They were punished and are not allowed to attend the closing ceremony. It's easy to fabricate stories when you are in a vulnerable country. Western countries love to feed on it.

I'd say well done Brazilian investigators for not allowing another foreign farse and for exposing the scandalous media. Points for you.

Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, LatinXTC said:

What Brazilians found suspicious is they were left with their cell phones and watches and whatnot, which is not normally the case in Brazilian robberies. And Lochte even said this the first time he said it on NBC that they did not take their watches and phones.

Which that in itself seems bizarre, don't you think. What "robber" would leave such valuables behind if the main purpose to ROB someone is to take whatever valuables they can get their hands on. 

2 hours ago, kraussie-kraussie-kraussie said:

i dunno what we're even arguing about anymore, however i do believe that victims should not be automatically assumed to be lying or falsely reporting crimes, because all that does is lead to lower reporting rates for legitimate crimes.

anyway, it's all moot since it appears that lochte did indeed lie about being robbed.

The point of the matter is that it's starting to look very likely that they made the whole thing up, simply bcuz they got wasted & don't know what the hell they did with themselves afterwards. So I don't see how it's all "moot" now simply bcuz the cat is starting to come out of the bag. As I brought up earlier, people in criminal cases lie all the time.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FYI said:

Which that in itself seems bizarre, don't you think. What "robber" would leave such valuables behind if the main purpose to ROB someone is to take whatever valuables they can get their hands on. 

 

Not if they saw their credentials, which Lochte did say they were left with. Before all these details emerged I believed there's a chance they were left with their watches because they got spooked that they realized they were robbing Olympians and not run of the mill tourists or locals. Maybe the robbers might have been aware that the police would have bent over backwards to try this close this case and find them out the longer they stuck around and the more they took than if they had robbed a local. But clearly that wasn't the case lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LatinXTC said:

Not if they saw their credentials, which Lochte did say they were left with. Before all these details emerged I believed there's a chance they were left with their watches because they got spooked that they realized they were robbing Olympians and not run of the mill tourists or locals. Maybe the robbers might have been aware that the police would have bent over backwards to try this close this case and find them out the longer they stuck around and the more they took than if they had robbed a local. But clearly that wasn't the case lol

Dude the athletes have already confessed the farse. There were no robbers.

the athletes were trying to cover up their vandalism.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For those of you who have not yet see this, please watch and give an opinion of what's going on.  

http://g1.globo.com/rio-de-janeiro/olimpiadas/rio2016/noticia/2016/08/video-do-posto-de-gasolina-mostra-confusao-com-nadadores-americanos.html

Not a Lochte fan and I certainly don't support drunken loutishness or vandalism, but regardless of whether that happened or not, a gun pointed by Party A towards Party B, followed subsequently by cash going in the other direction, is robbery.  

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, the saddest part about all this is that the focus on all the great things happening on the track, fields, courts, and pools from the Olympic competitions still going on, is being shoved aside by the media in favor of the Lochte vs Rio circus sideshow.   

Link to post
Share on other sites

To me the truth is halfway between the two stories.  They stopped at a gas station to pee.  Did some damage to the restroom.  Got back in the taxi and the security guard stopped them from leaving and had them get out of the taxi.  They gave the security guard some grief and the guard pulled his gun (was confirmed by the Rio police).  Police were called but the swimmers did not want to wait around (scared with might happen).  They either offered to pay for the damages or the guard insisted that they pay for the damages before they left.  Money changes hands and the swimmers leave.  Police come and station people say everything was resolved.

Was the payment robbery or restitution for the damage that was done?  In some countries it is a well documented practice to pay and leave.  With language confusion I can see how the swimmers felt it was a "shakedown" and did not want to wait around for the police.  However,  they did have an obligation to pay for damages (assuming they did, in fact, damage the restroom).

 

Best solution now is to have the swimmers provide an apology to all concerned and outline the misunderstanding that happened at the gas station.  I am sure a lawyer can write up a good apology that puts everything in the best light.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just to remind you, the swimmers lied saying that the police stopped their taxi, putting guns on their foreheads and demanding money, also stealing their belongings. So it's not a simple thing. They can be charged for Providing false information in the original police report.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wish I could claim credit for the following, but I'm paraphrasing a post from The Guardian's comment section. 

Looks to me like an international version of someone behaving badly at a popular, but not very flash, restaurant, then yelling "cockroach!" and making a bolt for it without settling accounts. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...