Rio-2016 News

One of the worse issues with the Pink Tide governments (not just Brazil) is that they praised and awarded loyalty over competence, all for the sake of populism and getting votes, and nationalized every single thing, then put incompetent people in many important jobs. At the same time they pretty much award and give free stuff to lazy people who never worked their entire lifes (I'm in favor of doing social programs for the poor people but not encouraging them to become full dependant of the state).They also tend to blackmail the same people who join their social programs, with stuff like "You better vote for us because if they win you will lose everything you have". All they care is making people dependant of the state, they don't really care for the poor people, yet many are still naive and can't see beyond the point.

Long story short, populism is the cancer of Latin America, but thankfully it seems its days are numbered.

As an outsider, I could never begin to understand which side might be right or wrong. But it's always wonderful to see a country where people are free to protest their government, and millions do so peacefully.

And I know this is trivial, but I gotta ask. Anyone know what's up with the giant rubber ducky?

Not sure if it is supposed to represent something, but as soon as I saw it it reminded me of the giant rubber duck sculpture that toured around the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rubber_Duck_%28sculpture%29

As an outsider, I could never begin to understand which side might be right or wrong. But it's always wonderful to see a country where people are free to protest their government, and millions do so peacefully.

I couldn't agree more with everything you say here. This whole thing seems almost impenetrable to me. Often, with foreign issues it's easier to work out who the "good guys" are than when you're looking at your own politics, but in this case I don't know where to start. And I agree with you too about the protests being allowed happen. That maks Brazil a healthier democracy then most others on earth, corruption or no corruption.

Nobody wanted a coup back in 64 and yet you guys are repeating every step of it...

Plus, the organizers don't have the courage or don't want to repel the Military lovers, neither the Integralists, or the homophobic politicians from their carnaval. And guess what, these guys are just using the circus to throw themselves into the political stage again. And TV host Gloria Maria is a notable case because she's an exception. The only thing exceptions do is evidencing the general rule. Statistics show the outline of the protests - specially in São Paulo - is still overwhelmingly upper-middle class and white people and we DO know how Latin American scum love pretending to be european, noble and pure race until their conservative choices show them the awful reality. This is not against corruption. Look at the politicans and congressmen behind it. It's a crusade against one party (and I'm not even a voter of this party).

This is just like Mani Pulite in Italy back in the 90's. It will produce at least one Berlusconi type here and at worst a total failure of our democratic institutions.

As far as the Olympics are concerned, we can expect protests in a minor but more concentrated scale, at least for now. Surprisingly, Rio 2016 doesn't have so far the same kind of opposition as the 2014 World Cup had back then.

How protesting against a government that has lead the country into the economic hole and has stolen the biggest state ruled companies of the country is supporting a military coup? You're paranoid or don't have arguments against the facts.
They can't repeal anyone from the protests simply because a democracy allows free speech even when you don't agree with other people's opinion. Plus, they just organize the days and places of protest, they are not linked to any political party or organization.
I also hate some of the few extreme right actvists but they have the same rights to expose their ideas and repressing it would be anti democratic and against constitution.
You keep changing the focus of the protests. Those protests are against the failed government, it doesn't have any racism or anything that to you want to use to change the focus connected to it.
This is against corruption and in favor of the Impeachment of Dilma. Lava Jato investigations are not only centered on government members (leaders of the current corruption scandal and also two previous scandals called Mensalão I and Mensalão II), but also in the opposition members involved.
Some of the 2 biggest names of the opposition, Aécio Neves (being investigated by Lava Jato just like Dilma and Lula) and Geraldo Alckmin were booed by protesters.
This is really like the corruption scandals in Italy. Corruption is a plague that is consuming the entire country and everything is centered in the government. And you can expect much more politicians to fall, they've just investigated one state ruled company, BNDS (National Development Bank) and Correios (post offices) are the next.

So is there a real corruption problem or is it faked by the opposition parties? And Brazil is democratic, so there will come a time when there's the chance to vote the current government out if they're truly this unpopular.

Sure there is a big corruption problem. Petrolão (Petrobrás Corruption Scandal) is considered the 2nd biggest corruption scandal in the world.

The approval of the governement is the lowest EVER registered, even lower than Collor's approval when he was impeached.

Last opinion survey released:

- Good: 11%

- Regular: 25%

- Bad: 64% (peaked at 70% in december)

Petrobrás has shrunk 85% of its value since 2008, the company is about to bankrupt. When Dilma was the leader of the company back in 2006, she approved the purchase of Pasadena Refinery in Texas with a value of US$ 1,18 billion when it was evaluated in only US$ 42,5 milion and that's only one among many other irregularities. That's the current situtation of Brazil's economy:

GDP: -3.8 %

Inflation: 10.67%

2016 (expected)

GDP: -3.54 %

Inflation: 7.46%

There IS a big BIG corruption problem across the majority of the parties - including the Worker's Party - and some of the biggest construction and communication companies of Brazil. But the media (controlled by the opposition) is very good at pinning the guilt on only one side of the thing and they are not willing to wait until the next elections, even if it means shutting down the Gov and blocking economic reforms to keep people pissed and stirring antidemocratic measures. That's why there are more and more people asking for a return of the dictatorship, death penalty and hugging policemen in the streets. Yep. People are this crazy.

Controlled by the opposition? On what are you basing that? The argument largely used by government supporters that the media wants a coup is already very outdated, please look for another way to hide the facts.
All that the government want is to hide the situation of the country and protect themselves from the investigations.
The only proposal of economic reform made by the government so far was a new raise of taxes called CPMF that would make even more damage to our economy. Our taxes already take 35% of the GDP, one of the highest numbers in the world.

And I know this is trivial, but I gotta ask. Anyone know what's up with the giant rubber ducky?

That is a campaing made by the Industrial Sector of São Paulo state called "Não vou pagar o pato", the expression is a reference to the proposal of the creation of the new taxes (CPMF). People don't want to pay even more taxes to pay for the corruption of the government and don't have any good services in return.

http://www.naovoupagaropato.com.br/

BTW, those are the new facts of the day:

The Supreme Tribunal accepted the delation of former Senator Delcidio Amaral (who was an important figure in the Workers Party and was under arrest).
Better than that, Amaral's assistant was met by Education Minister Aloísio Mercadante, who is the right arm of Dilma, in the two Palaces (the presidential residence and the presidential office), confident, etc.
Unknown to Mercadante, Amaral's Assistant RECORDED THE ENTIRE CONVERSATION and the media now has it, as well as the Tribunal.
Dilma's right arm offered MONEY, POLITICAL AND JURIDICAL PROTECTION in order for Delcidio Amaral to remain quiet and not implicate Dilma and Lula in the corruption scandal!
Obstruction of Justice is the least admission. The money offered would come from construction companies involved in the corruption scheme and anyway, this is Dilma's right arm.
The opposition is calling for immediate resignation from Mercadante and this recording will probably be enough to implicate Dilma and Lula enough for these extreme leftist scum to be arrested and Dilma be impeached before it.
ALSO, Lula accepted to be a Minister of Dilma's government just to have something called "Foro Privilegiado", to be judged by the Supreme Court since he's feeling very threatened of being arrested.
  • Like 1

The yellow duck that appears in the protests is an allusion to a Brazilian idiom. It is used in situations like this: something has gone wrong and it is necessary to find a culprit or someone else to solve the problem, or "pay the duck." The chosen one will "pay for the duck", ie solve the problem. In the case of the protests, the government overspent, it is broken and wants to create or increase taxes to cover its extra expenses. The Brazilian people would "pay the duck", or taxes to cover the Federal Government extra spending.

A photo that defines Brazil: a family of high class (Claudio Pracownik and your wife, Carolina Maia Pracownik) go to the protest on Sunday with his poor maid, nanny who cares for their children. It is interesting to note the difference in skin color of the people in this photo. Can you see how the poor maid is interessed in protests?

copacabana-hoje-2.jpg

It is funny, because the woman carrying the babies, whose name is Angélica Lima, said to Bruno Alfano - a reporter who works for Hufffpost Brasil - an organism linked to Editora Abril, tha she supports the street protests. "Lula was not that president everyone expected. Then, I voted for Aécio to give him an opportunity to to change things. But Dilma entered and we are seeing this result." By the way, she is a professional babysitter. There is nothing wrong in being so. Outlaws are those who are involved in such horrendous, revolting scandals.

http://www.brasilpost.com.br/2016/03/15/baba-protesto_n_9469080.html

• Like 3

ALSO, Lula accepted to be a Minister of Dilma's government just to have something called "Foro Privilegiado", to be judged by the Supreme Court since he's feeling very threatened of being arrested.

Ex-President ‘Lula’ Could Avoid Prison by Joining Brazilian Cabinet - NYT

Were Mr. da Silva to join Ms. Rousseff’s cabinet, he would be granted special judicial standing enjoyed by about 700 senior political figures in Brazil, including cabinet members and all 594 members of Congress.

Officials with special standing can be tried only in Brazil’s highest court, the Supreme Federal Tribunal. Effectively, this means that the trials of senior officials drag on at the court for years, with few ever going to prison.

• Like 1

The NYT got it wrong. Usually the trials in the Supreme Federal Tribunal are faster (look at the Mensalão Scandal; most people were considered guilty). It's the highest court in Brazil, so if Lula gets convicted he doesn't have any court to appeal.

Lula as a member of the Brazilian Cabinet it's a manuever trying to bring political support for the government and change the judge in charge of his investigations.

Lula has just accepted the invitation of Dilma and is now the new Chief of Staff of Brazil. Now he's the highest-ranking member of the Executive Office.

Now he's protected from Sérgio Moro, the judge that is conducting Lava Jato Operation since the beginning and has put many politicians in jail. They're violating UN conventions about corruption combat. He proved once again that he is a corrupt coward.

More shocking images of the Brazilian Horror Day - March 13, 2016

A sad and pathetic moment

1012706_973283722763105_1569754846078273

SOS Military intervention

image.jpg

'Out Dilma (Rousseff). We want Military (intervention)'

image.jpg

A photo that defines Brazil: a family of high class (Claudio Pracownik and your wife, Carolina Maia Pracownik) go to the protest on Sunday with his poor maid, nanny who cares for their children. It is interesting to note the difference in skin color of the people in this photo. Can you see how the poor maid is interessed in protests?

copacabana-hoje-2.jpg

This is a very very common image in Brazil.
12826070_977919168971597_926946491_n_zps

1537580-8808-atm17.jpg

The truth:

About the first image

This man supports Dilma and Lula . There is an interview. I can post here if you want .

About the second image

This woman is 'Gloria Maria', a very famous presenter in Globo TV, Brazil. This image is absolutely rare in our country and you know it.

I stopped caring for your cause as soon as you posted that pic of the power rangers. My god they are handsome! I want them all!

Yes, they are beautiful, I agree :rolleyes:

You keep changing subjects. There are no arguments against real facts and defending corrupt people is as bad as being corrupt.

Interesting article:

What slums think of protests against Dilma?

jY9RPFu.jpg?1

3 - Petrobrás's corruption is an invention.

4 - I agree with the protests against president Dilma.

Sim = Yes

Não = No

Não sei = I don't know

Respostas = Answers

Complete article: http://exame.abril.com.br/brasil/noticias/o-que-as-favelas-pensam-dos-protestos-contra-dilma

The whole country is against the failed corrupt government, not just high classes.

By the way, this research is from July 2015, when the crisis wasn't so deep, unemployment rates were lower and most of the revelations against the government hadn't been released.

You're the one missing the point. No one denies the Petrobras scandal, but media makes the majority of the people believe that it is solely on one party account even when investigations show it began during FHC government. But Fernando is such a dear that even some journals personally ASK HIM if he wants his wrongdoing to be published or not.

Protests against Dilma are common even before 2013. Social movements and students are protesting against her management since June 2013 if you remember correctly, but they were treated as criminals by the same media that turns blind to the proto-fascism and hate speech oozing from the PSDB/MBL led protests since 2015. I say again these protests answer to the interests of this most cynical right-wing politicians which are themselves being investigated by the same operation that is cornering Worker's Party with distinct efficiency while names such as Aecio Neves and FHC have their accusations filed and investigated no further. The opposition parties are themselves calling people to the streets! How can one say this is all apolitical/neutral/spontaneous?

As long as the protests are truly against corruption and not biased as their theme song (hahaha), there will be nothing authentic about marches such as the one last sunday: the biggest useless gathering of our young democracy.

Happening NOW:

Federal Police tapped Lula and Dilma!!! The Judge Moro released the transcription and they will be charged for justice obstruction!!!

There is audio of the wiretap (in Portuguese ofc). They wiretapped the president's office:

People are inside the Congress and in front of Planalto Palace asking Dilma to resign.

Cds8Tt2W0AA1hZL.jpg

Welp. That's what she get for being so goddamn stupid. She pretty much did the last straw granting Lula the post of Chief, which was an obvious movement to save his sorry ass from justice.

I guess we should be expecting her resignment soon.

Cds-CsjW0AEAKZ1.jpg

Apparently, Judge Moro knew about this beforehand but made it public just now after what Dilma did trying to protect Lula.

Cds4ClLWAAEscv5.jpg

Cds9VEuW8AUsXvs.jpg

Cdsy-J_XEAISfC3.jpg

In the name of my country, i'm so sorry for having sold you a failed ideology to you, guys. We deserve the hate :(

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I don't think she will resign, since if she does that she will go directly to jail.

I hope Venezuela gets rid of those thieves, The venezuelan people don't deserve the situation that the country is living today.

They will try forcing her to resign, also the protests are going to get worse than ever because of that Audio tape. They seriously think people are stupid to believe they put Lula on that charge to "improve their government".

I hope so, too. Though it's going to be much harder given they've amassed lots of power and the army here is armed to the teeth and living the dream with all the money they got just for being lapdogs of the government and turning the blind eye.

Oh, God... The tapping reveals nothing new about what she was clearly planning to do and the press was noticing that nomination all day.

Plus, Lula and Dilma (just as Aécio Neves and Fernando Henrique) are being investigated but have not been accused of any charges despite all the huge pressure.

And no, Venezuela didn't sold your Bolivarian bs to us. This is getting ridiculous.

Those are some of the biggest revelations of the whole operation about Dilma and Lula. Justice Obstruction was practiced by Dilma and the audios can prove that!

I hope all investigated politicians go to jail including those of the opposition.

Latest news:

General attorney Janot will open investigation against Dilma

Tapped audio suggests that Dilma tried to avoid Lula's prision; listen

PRB leaves government base and resigns the Ministry of Sport

"Janot would have taken in the ass," says Lula about the general attorney

• Like 1

Now - Spontaneous protests in many cities.

São Paulo

16076363.jpeg

201603161954544513.jpg

xQzJiWw.jpg

uploads%2F1458174435968-pau2.jpg

Brasília

12800344_10154095303698953_6487891629876

Belo Horizonte

12651093_351575771633239_338757798452286

Big protests also in Recife and Porto Alegre. People are now also in front of the Congress in Brasília.

Brasília

presos_pqp.jpg

manifesta_yJihHsd.jpg
parlamentarismo.jpg
planalto_4.jpg

201603162129194737.jpg-GIO2KQN8J.1.jpg

Many people in São Paulo

image.jpg

protesto-paulista4.jpg

protesto-planalto9.jpg

In front of the National Congress

10606035_351641328293350_586788392054141