Rio-2016 News

danfla

I know 1 out 300 is not a lot, but to just scoff at it like its not a problem shows how much you are blinded by these being your home games.

No, I'm not blind to the games in my country. On the contrary, I'm much more aware of the real problems that the Games in Rio is than you. And because of this fact I know that pollution of the bay is not a big problem for athletes. You probably did not read about the opnion of the athletes who sailed in the bay. Most of them praised the quality of the water and said that everything has evolved a lot since the test event in 2014.
I believe I need not mention the errors show which was the Pan in Toronto. From the opening ceremony until the athletics events, cycling, exchange of flags, display of national anthems to the closing ceremony. Not long ago I was told that a Cuban athlete was seriously injured with a piece of wood Velodrome track that was poorly installed. Regrettable .
ciclista-cubana-lisandra-guerra-com-um-p

No, I'm not blind to the games in my country. On the contrary, I'm much more aware of the real problems that the Games in Rio is than you. And because of this fact I know that pollution of the bay is not a big problem for athletes. You probably did not read about the opnion of the athletes who sailed in the bay. Most of them praised the quality of the water and said that everything has evolved a lot since the test event in 2014.
I believe I need not mention the errors show which was the Pan in Toronto. From the opening ceremony until the athletics events, cycling, exchange of flags, display of national anthems to the closing ceremony. Not long ago I was told that a Cuban athlete was seriously injured with a piece of wood Velodrome track that was poorly installed. Regrettable .
ciclista-cubana-lisandra-guerra-com-um-p

What does Toronto's hosting of the Pan American Games have anything to do with the polluted waters of Rio?

Sailing chief: Rio events could be moved from polluted bay

RIO DE JANEIRO The head of sailing's governing body threatened Saturday to move all Olympic sailing events out of polluted Guanabara Bay unless the water is cleaner and floating rubbish is removed for next year's Rio Games.

"If we can't get the water to a level, then we'll move it outside (to the Atlantic Ocean) for sure," Peter Sowrey told The Associated Press on the final day of an Olympic test event.

Such a move would be an embarrassment to local organizers and the International Olympic Committee. They have said repeatedly the water is safe despite being filled with floating rubbish and untreated sewage that gushes down gullies from hillside favelas.

Sowrey, the chief executive officer of ISAF, said one course for the test event inside the bay was closed after floating rubbish hindered racing for two days. Rubbish flowed into the bay despite little rain in Rio in recent weeks, probably the best weather officials could want.

He also complained he received no data during the week-long Olympic test from the state body that monitors water quality. A check of the website for Inea the state institute showed it had reported water quality on the bay only once in the last 10 days.

"We are not happy as a federation from the reporting on the water," Sowrey said. "We're not getting the reporting we expected to get."

Rio's pollution has been in the spotlight since an independent five-month analysis by the AP published July 30 showed dangerously high levels of viruses from human sewage at all Rio Olympic water venues for sailing, rowing, canoeing, triathlon and distance swimming.

The IOC has declined to endorse testing for viruses, which can cause stomach and respiratory ailments that could knock an athlete out of competition.

Sowrey said the closely watched sailing test event had gone "pretty well" from an operational viewpoint. But he said there was still too much raw sewage being pumped into the bay, and too much floating debris that makes fair racing impossible.

"If we can't get it clean, we've got to do something," he said.

ISAF has three courses in the bay and the three in the open Atlantic. Malcolm Page, a two-time Olympic gold-medal sailor and a spokesman for ISAF, backed up Sowrey.

"Yes, you could sail all the competitions outside," he said.

Moving sailing out of Guanabara would be a blow to ISAF, which hopes to use the backdrop of Sugarloaf Mountain to draw fans to the sport. Television rights holders also love the postcard images, which look perfect from a distance.

Paul Henderson, the former president of ISAF and a former IOC member, said the event should be moved.

"ISAF should demand it be moved because Rio 2016 did not live up to their obligations," Henderson said in an email to AP.

Sailors at the week-long event wandered around the Marina da Gloria taking photos and videos of raw sewage still pouring into the water just a few steps from where they launch their boats. Raw sewage is also still flowing into Flamengo Beach, which will be used as a sailing viewing area for the Olympics, which open Aug. 5.

"We need much more improvement in cleaning up when it rains," Sowrey said. "And certainly closing down all the sewage outlets."

Sowrey, like the IOC, has declined to endorse viral testing, largely because the World Health Organization has not set a standard for viruses. But he said the high levels concerned him.

"Obviously I don't sleep well," he said. "I worry about it a lot. We're all worried about it."

He said he hoped to return to Rio before the end of the year, and he said it was unclear how soon ISAF would decide if it will move from the bay.

He said he also fears the water issue could distract from next year's Olympic sailing, turning the event into a debate forum on sanitation and pollution.

"We're worried," he said. "If the whole thing is around the quality of the water, then it's a failure for me."

It's kind of hard to know the truth about the pollution because the reports aren't well balanced. AP is doing report after report trashing (no pun intended) the quality of water to back up the independent analysis that they have published. Take the examples of the South Korean athlete earlier this week or the Junior American rowing team. The reports were like "oh, definitely was the water!", but if you look up to other news agencies you realize that's not confirmation about it at all.

Overall the athletes are saying that the water conditions of this test event was better than the latest. Until the Olympics other actions will be taken, so I think everything will be fine in next August.

• Like 1

It's kind of hard to know the truth about the pollution because the reports aren't well balanced. AP is doing report after report trashing (no pun intended) the quality of water to back up the independent analysis that they have published. Take the examples of the South Korean athlete earlier this week or the Junior American rowing team. The reports were like "oh, definitely was the water!", but if you look up to other news agencies you realize that's not confirmation about it at all.
Overall the athletes are saying that the water conditions of this test event was better than the latest. Until the Olympics other actions will be taken, so I think everything will be fine in next August

Direct quotes from the head of the sailing federation about rubbish floating in the bay and not enough water quality testing and you're STILL going on about the media?! Really?!

Yes, it may be fine by Rio 2016, but the guy in charge of World sailing sounds very worried. So why are you being so dismissive?

Edited by Rob.

So it will all be fine in twelve months...could have started to clean up already back in 2009 when they won the vote maybe? It is anyway a disgrace that Brazil on one hand pretends to become an emerging economic giant and OTOH millions of people still have to live in conditions where their dirt ends up in the bay like this.

But blame it on the foreign media, that's an easy way out.

Direct quotes from the head of the sailing federation about rubbish floating in the bay and not enough water quality testing and you're STILL going on about the media?! Really?!

Yes, it may be fine by Rio 2016, but the guy in charge of World sailing sounds very worried. So why are you being so dismissive?

I'm being dismissive because the ISAF head of competions gave an interview yesterday saying that the health problems in the test event were not that a big deal, in fact it was less than the average of other events. Additionally, he said that incident with floating objects usually happen, like in the 2011 Worlds (his words).

Wow, I'm saying two different things and they're not excludent.

Of course if the government had cleaned up the Bay this would not be a issue. Of course the water is not 100% clean. Of course it's a shame that they lost such a great chance to end the pollution of Guanabara Bay.

But I think the president of ISAF is just putting pressure in the organization to improve the conditions, like Coats did with the construction sites years ago. His speech is strange because it's very different from other officials and athletes that have stated that the water is ok. What I'm just saying is that it's hard to really know what's is going on because the media doesn't do a good job. That's it.

So it will all be fine in twelve months...could have started to clean up already back in 2009 when they won the vote maybe? It is anyway a disgrace that Brazil on one hand pretends to become an emerging economic giant and OTOH millions of people still have to live in conditions where their dirt ends up in the bay like this.

I'm really impressed with the great ignorance show that some users of this forum are performing.
You probably do not know, but on October 2, 2009, when Rio de Janeiro was elected the host city of the Olympics 2016, only 17% of the sewage of the Guanabara bay was cleaned. Currently, today in 2015, 50% of sewage is treated.Yes, there was an increase of 17% to 50% of sewage tratano these last years, but surely you do not know why you should never read this in sensacionalista media that you both enjoy.
You may think this is little, but the metropolitan area of ​​Rio de Janeiro's giant, has 12 million people, larger than any European city. Alias ​​is greater than the populations of the 10 largest cities in Germany together.
The problem with the international media is not talking about pollution, but only show the bad side. It showed in no time at opinion of real athletes and footage of sailing competitions as I come by posting in this forum. That to me is called sensationalism used to sell and sell more and more, not to inform.

Nobody is blaming foreign media for the mistakes committed by our authorities - yes, it's a lost a chance to finally clean the bay and solve the environmental problem Rio de Janeiro suffers since long time.

This is one thing.

The other thing is: media, specially from abroad treats the entire huge Guanabara Bay as a small lake and ignores the fact there are different places with different water conditions.

Feel free to believe in the media. We are just showing another point, the points from locals who grew up and live in the place.

Guanabara Bay is truly dead in the north section (I already said that several times) and it's almost totally clean in the entrance (where sailing is expected to be held).

Now it's up to you to believe in whatever you want.

There is no easy way out. IMO, as a journalist, the easy way out is to believe blindly in the media. Go ahead.

And I'm not sure why I'm saying this to you Stefan, you'll probably ignore my post or come with some personal judgements and prejudices about "sensitive" Brazilians, right?

Edited by DannyelBrazil

the metropolitan area of ​​Rio de Janeiro's giant, has 12 million people, larger than any European city. Alias ​​is greater than the populations of the 10 largest cities in Germany together.

12 million is tiny compared with São Paulo. Comparing it with German cities is also unhelpful, because Germany, until the 19th century, was a collection of separate states, each with its own capital, unlike France or Great Britain (where London's metropolitan area extends far beyond its administrative boundary, with a population around 14 million, and a sewage system which can't cope in rainy conditions, discharging around 39 megatonnes of raw sewage into the Thames estuary each year; hence the choice of distant Weymouth as a sailing venue for 2012).

• Like 1

Is so nice see the european culture in the 3rd world ^_^

11875272_1645266399084479_32382609_n.jpg

And what about in the land of the Queen?

In this test event to Rio 2016Olympics, at the Marina da Gloria, tax saw a British athlete peeing in the water and the other urinating on a tree. It must be terrible to live in the land of Queen Elizabeth II, where there are people urinating outside the potty.

And now, we start attacking other countries with low humour. What a wonderful place.

Oh, this is so ironic, is not Dakooo?
This is not humor, despite being funny. This is the loss of arguments of you here. This attitute just shows how athletes do not care about the water quality of the bay. If athletes cared as much as you pay attention to the tabloid media would not be doing their needs in the water.
I'm just waiting for the Daily Mail published about this gift from the British to the Brazilians.

In this test event to Rio 2016Olympics, at the Marina da Gloria, tax saw a British athlete peeing in the water and the other urinating on a tree. It must be terrible to live in the land of Queen Elizabeth II, where there are people urinating outside the potty.

Ooh this can be fun! I'll give you peeing on a tree and raise you severed head of a former national football player!

http://edition.cnn.com/2013/10/30/world/brazil-footballer-murder/index.html

João Rodrigo Silva Santos didn't come home Monday night.

When the former professional footballer's wife opened the door on her way to work the next morning, she found his severed head on their front step.

The head was inside a backpack, police said. Santos' eyes and tongue had been gouged out, according to Brazilian media reports.

Now police in Rio de Janeiro are investigating the grisly killing, though they haven't said who they believe is behind it.

Santos, 35, was a forward for a number of mostly second-tier Rio de Janeiro football teams before retiring and opening a health foods store.

His death comes at a time when football fans worldwide are shifting their focus toward Brazil, which will host the World Cup in 2014.

Late last year, the country announced it was pumping $900 million dollars into its security budget to make the competition "one of the most protected sports events in history."

World football's ruling body FIFA had expressed concern about Brazil's increasing crime rate, particularly in Sao Paulo.

One police official told Brazil's O Globo newspaper that authorities are investigating whether a recent post on the store's Facebook page could be connected to the crime. The post showed surveillance footage and asked for help catching shoplifters.

Police plan to compare the images to surveillance footage taken at the shop Monday night, chief homicide investigator Rafael Rangel told the newspaper.

The former football player was last seen Monday night, when two suspects entered his vehicle, CNN affiliate TV Record reported.

On Wednesday morning, police said they found parts of a man's body in a river outside the city and were testing the DNA to see whether the remains belong to Santos, TV Record said.

Authorities have interviewed 10 witnesses so far in the case, police said.

According to local media, Santos' wife, Geisa Silva, worked for the police in one of Rio's shantytowns, but as a social worker giving swimming lessons to children, not as a policewoman.

She told investigators she did not know of any threats made against her husband, according to TV Record.

Some of Santos' relatives and neighbors told O Globo that he didn't have any enemies and said they didn't know what could have motivated the attack.

Santos started his football career when he was 16 years old, and played for several Brazilian club teams. He played for the Bangu club team from 1996 to 2005, according to a biography on the club's unofficial website.

In 1998, he played for Honduras' Olimpia club. And in 2003 he played for Sweden's Oster club, the website says.

The website calls Santos a "humble hero," describing how goals he scored brought victory to another club team he joined.

According to the FutRio.net football news site, Santos left the field earlier this year to focus on his business.

The site reported that club players in Rio de Janeiro on Wednesday honored Santos with a minute of silence.

*correction, not a player of the national football team, but of a 2nd-tier team from the national league.

Oh please, like you've never peed in a body of water or on a tee.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What the hell are you talking about?

We are talking about the bay and the article I published too.

I'm not interested in discussing the cultures of the countries involved. I'm not even thinking 60 million Britons because of two uneducated athletes.

I could cite hundreds of the crimes of each country of each forum member here, but that's not my goal. Including the Brazilian who was mistaken for a terrorist on the London Underground in 2005 and so was murdered unjustly. But accidents happen, and unfortunately the world has people who commit this type of crime. But my goal this forum is not to humiliate the nationality of anyone, but to be fair to every subject discussed.

I know you and many other people here love to humiliate my country, as I did not know that we have thousands of problems. Of course, this was another opportunity that you enchergou to downgrade Brazil again, Congratulations! You are very good at doing that.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What the hell are you talking about?

We are talking about the bay and the article I published too.

I'm not interested in discussing the cultures of the countries involved. I'm not even thinking 60 million Britons because of two uneducated athletes.

I could cite hundreds of the crimes of each country of each forum member here, but that's not my goal. Including the Brazilian who was mistaken for a terrorist on the London Underground in 2005 and so was murdered unjustly. But accidents happen, and unfortunately the world has people who commit this type of crime. But my goal this forum is not to humiliate the nationality of anyone, but to be fair to every subject discussed.

I know you and many other people here love to humiliate my country, as I did not know that we have thousands of problems. Of course, this was another opportunity that you enchergou to downgrade Brazil again, Congratulations! You are very good at doing that.

Those athletes are not uneducated. When you have to go, you have to go. Me peeing in a bush when there's no washroom nearby does not make me "uneducated".