Rio-2016 News

You know very well that I meant these particular buildings that were the issue further up in this thread.

You said "Rio"... But I got it, Stefan. Don't worry.

I was adding one information only.

You know very well that I meant these particular buildings that were the issue further up in this thread.

He knew what you meant. It's just that he and every Brazilian on this site must fight tooth and nail until we all surrender to the undeniable fact that Brazil is the most supreme, perfect and flawless nation.

fact that Brazil is the most supreme, perfect and flawless nation.

Well, you are the first person in this site saying Brazil and "supreme", "perfect" and "flawless nation" in the same sentence.

I can't remember any Brazilian saying something similar...

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Instead of discussing "Rio news", here we are...

Answering trolls who pick something bad or useless in Rio/Brazil to make a counter-point to any news (good or bad) Brazilians writes here.

Answering trolls who pick something bad or useless in Rio/Brazil to make a counter-point to any news (good or bad) Brazilians writes here.

And again, here we are, hearing the same bs from the Brazilians who can't seem to take the slightest bit of criticism or observation.

I'm not being senstive, I'm just saying the style Barra district have. It's a copy-paste of Florida, specially Miami Beach...

Barra da Tijuca, Rio de Janeiro

vista-aerea-1.jpg

Miami Beach

miami-beach.jpg

Judge the pics by yourself, Paul, indeed some of Barra buildings were planned by Archtecture companies from Florida...

I didn't invented the nickname "Brazilian Miami" for Barra. ;)

Maybe, and maybe also some folks won't be able to rest until we Brazilians accept Rio is a hell third-woldish-city and IOC is crazy to give lazy Brazilians the right to stage the worst "prepated" games ever (past, present, future - specially worst than Athens, what really matter, right?)

You are crazy.

Barra is not a photocopy of Miami. Look at your own photo.

I have never said such terrible things about Rio and I have no desire to advance that position.

You are seriously lacking in objectivity and emotional self-restraint.

Barra is not a photocopy of Miami. Look at your own photo.

I have never said such terrible things about Rio and I have no desire to advance that position.

You are seriously lacking in objectivity and emotional self-restraint.

hahahaha I wasn't even talking to you, but, yes, for many (you not included, it seems), Barra was built to resemble the Miami-way-of-living. Not my opinion, it's something widely spoken in Brazil, even an American friend of mine said the same...

But if you don't agree, that's fine. You have the right to think that those pictures (purposely in the same angle) have nothing in common.

And, my dearest friend Athensfan, I'm not lacking of objectivity. I posted news from Rio, somebody started detracting the buildings in the pictures. I just commented it was based in Miami (which is fact)...

And again, here we are, hearing the same bs from the Brazilians who can't seem to take the slightest bit of criticism or observation.

Do I need to quote again and again my posts over real concerns about Rio games?

My criticism over "last minute" things in Brazil? About our stupid bureaucracy? On how I hate our politicians?

Do you want the quotes of Victor or Bezzi talking about the same stuff?

Your claim about lack of self-criticism of us, Brazilians, sounds really empty.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

That's not nice or fair. Brazil is amazing and you should be proud, now can't we just talk some sh!t together about the real deal there and later we'll ALL enjoy the amazing 2016 games in Spectacular Rio! There is no need to be pretentious we all know the same things. And you being there (Sao Paulo I think) you likely know MUCH WORSE THAT WE EVEN THINK!!!!!!!! So relax you are with virtual friends who love to overthink the Olympic mess in every hosts reality.

:blink::rolleyes::huh:

P

P.S. that remark about drugs is really under the belt...

:angry:

I would love to have an accommodation there during the Games!

I really do not know what you are talking about however I apologize if mentioning drugs somehow puts anyone on edge.

And I agree, I'd like to have a pad during the games. My assistants family has something near Maracana....and a year ago or so she offered it to me!

Yeah, the Brazilians, and yes, especially Danny, are very thinned skinned and defensive when it comes to comments on the 2016 preps. That's natural, even if they're gonna have to learn to control their sensitivities a lot more and not fly off the handle so easily at the merest non-positive comment. I shudder to think of the tears, tantrums and tirades that'll break out here in two years time if they don't learn to roll with the scrutiny and brush aside the inevitable barbs that will come. Sh!t, picture the OC thread when the inevitable, and wholly subjective, "well that was sh!t/boring/a let-down/worst ceremony ever" reviews from some quarters come in (and amigos, I'm not saying that as a pre-judgement on the ceremony, only that even the best regarded of ceremonies have their vehement detractors here). I've said it before, and I know it's hard or even impossible to achieve, but try and calm down a bit and just remember the only comeback that's gonna ultimately satisfy you and shut up the tomato throwers is when you're smiling with pride, joy and satisfaction when the cauldron goes out and the games are a mission accomplished with Brazilian flair and a Carioca stamp on them. It'll be all the sweeter at the end after having to weather all the sh!tstorms, criticisms and your own worries.

But, I can see Danny's frustration when he does something like post a pic of the Barra Olympic Park works, a precinct that is not among those those that gets mentioned when concerns have been raised about the delivery schedules (that's mainly Deodora), that appears to be on track, that appears to be well into intensive work on site, and which looks similar to pics you would have seen of Homebush, OAKA or Stratford at this time out from the games, and the reaction from the armchair experts here is that it looks like it's seriously behind schedule and it's obviously a disaster, and trying to claim otherwise is just the "usual bs from Brazilians". It certainly looks like some quarters are looking for things to be indignant about, and prefer to dismiss any context or explanation from those in Brazil without even checking if what the Brazilians are saying is right or not.

Similarly when it comes to the entirely legitimate discussion of the broader social picture of Brazil and how the Games fits within that. Of course Brazil has its social problems. It's a relevant debate and the Brazilians must realise that the spotlight of the WC and the Games means it's going to be debated a lot here and in the wider world media over the next few years. But the critics can't ignore the strides the country has made in social improvements and economic growth over the past decades, or that the games can add benefits to that as well. There's always going to be a section of people who aren't comfortable with the social responsibility of staging an extravagant event in a developing country (much less the anti-games crowd decrying the social responsibility of staging the games, at all, anywhere). But there's also a lot of people who think its important that the games are shared around and are not limited to being a plaything restricted to the same old rich and comfortable hosts. It smacks a lot of double standards where you get criticisms of Rio for being "just given a pass mark" by the IOC and allowed to get away with a lesser standard of venue plan or preparations or whatever, then just a few threads away you'll get indignant rantings about the out of touch and criminally corrupt IOC demanding too much lavishness and insisting on too exacting, excessive and unsustainable standards for venues and delivery of the games. Sheesh! You can't win.

Yes, a lot of the "discussion" here is lacking in objectivity and emotional self-restraint. But it sure aint just on the one side.

Edited by Tunku Rols
  • Like 3

That's not nice or fair. Brazil is amazing and you should be proud, now can't we just talk some sh!t together about the real deal there and later we'll ALL enjoy the amazing 2016 games in Spectacular Rio! There is no need to be pretentious we all know the same things. And you being there (Sao Paulo I think) you likely know MUCH WORSE THAT WE EVEN THINK!!!!!!!! So relax you are with virtual friends who love to overthink the Olympic mess in every hosts reality.

That's a fair comment.

To overthink Olympics - bring it on!!!

I would love to discuss whatever you guys want about venues, organization, look of the games, how to deal with the cauldron, 2 cauldrons? 3?...

Guys, I love Olympic Games too! Let's discuss Olympic Games?

But I get a lot of sarcasm and irony. The last 2 pages were only about that.

It's frustating. Instead of talking about our common likes, we are discussing if a certain residential building in Rio does look like Miami or not, and if yes, Miami ones are ugly as much as those in the picture... Really?

XXXI Summer Olympic Games! Let's discuss it?

But, I can see Danny's frustration when he does something like post a pic of the Barra Olympic Park works, a precinct that is not among those those that gets mentioned when concerns have been raised about the delivery schedules (that's mainly Deodora), that appears to be on track, that appears to be well into intensive work on site, and which looks similar to pics you would have seen of Homebush, OAKA or Stratford at this time out from the games, and the reaction from the armchair experts here is that it looks like it's seriously behind schedule and it's obviously a disaster, and trying to claim otherwise is just the "usual bs from Brazilians".

Might as well have just said my name...

Yeah, the Brazilians, and yes, especially Danny, are very thinned skinned and defensive when it comes to comments on the 2016 preps. That's natural, even if they're gonna have to learn to control their sensitivities a lot more and not fly off the handle so easily at the merest non-positive comment. I shudder to think of the tears, tantrums and tirades that'll break out here in two years time if they don't learn to roll with the scrutiny and brush aside the inevitable barbs that will come. Sh!t, picture the OC thread when the inevitable, and wholly subjective, "well that was sh!t/boring/a let-down/worst ceremony ever" reviews from some quarters come in (and amigos, I'm not saying that as a pre-judgement on the ceremony, only that even the best regarded of ceremonies have their vehement detractors here). I've said it before, and I know it's hard or even impossible to achieve, but try and calm down a bit and just remember the only comeback that's gonna ultimately satisfy you and shut up the tomato throwers is when you're smiling with pride, joy and satisfaction when the cauldron goes out and the games are a mission accomplished with Brazilian flair and a Carioca stamp on them. It'll be all the sweeter at the end after having to weather all the sh!tstorms, criticisms and your own worries.

But, I can see Danny's frustration when he does something like post a pic of the Barra Olympic Park works, a precinct that is not among those those that gets mentioned when concerns have been raised about the delivery schedules (that's mainly Deodora), that appears to be on track, that appears to be well into intensive work on site, and which looks similar to pics you would have seen of Homebush, OAKA or Stratford at this time out from the games, and the reaction from the armchair experts here is that it looks like it's seriously behind schedule and it's obviously a disaster, and trying to claim otherwise is just the "usual bs from Brazilians". It certainly looks like some quarters are looking for things to be indignant about, and prefer to dismiss any context or explanation from those in Brazil without even checking if what the Brazilians are saying is right or not.

Similarly when it comes to the entirely legitimate discussion of the broader social picture of Brazil and how the Games fits within that. Of course Brazil has its social problems. It's a relevant debate and the Brazilians must realise that the spotlight of the WC and the Games means it's going to be debated a lot here and in the wider world media over the next few years. But the critics can't ignore the strides the country has made in social improvements and economic growth over the past decades, or that the games can add benefits to that as well. There's always going to be a section of people who aren't comfortable with the social responsibility of staging an extravagant event in a developing country (much less the anti-games crowd decrying the social responsibility of staging the games, at all, anywhere). But there's also a lot of people who think its important that the games are shared around and are not limited to being a plaything restricted to the same old rich and comfortable hosts. It smacks a lot of double standards where you get criticisms of Rio for being "just given a pass mark" by the IOC and allowed to get away with a lesser standard of venue plan or preparations or whatever, then just a few threads away you'll get indignant rantings about the out of touch and criminally corrupt IOC demanding too much lavishness and insisting on too exacting, excessive and unsustainable standards for venues and delivery of the games. Sheesh! You can't win.

Yes, a lot of the "discussion" here is lacking in objectivity and emotional self-restraint. But it sure aint just on the one side.

Hail to Sir Rols!

Hey, for what it's worth, I said that the golf course looks fantastic, and no one responded. It appears that the Brazilians truly only respond to anything when it's negative. A simple "thank you amigo, let's continue on the course of a positive discussion" for my positive comment would have sufficed.

• Like 1

Hey, for what it's worth, I said that the golf course looks fantastic, and no one responded. It appears that the Brazilians truly only respond to anything when it's negative. A simple "thank you amigo, let's continue on the course of a positive discussion" for my positive comment would have sufficed.

That's fair from you ofan, I admit.

And thnk you amigo for the comment. I hope the ones who are responsible for the golf course continues with fast pace of the works.

That's fair from you ofan, I admit.

And thnk you amigo for the comment. I hope the ones who are responsible for the golf course continues with fast pace of the works.

That's more like it!!!

And I apologize for saying that the Park was behind schedule and starting up this sh!t storm once again. Deodoro is whole other story but Barra looks pretty good thus far. Deodoro looks to be picking up the pace anyways.

That being said, I think this argument and Rols brilliant essay were very helpful. I think that the Brazilians (at least Danny) are starting to realize that they have to take everything more thick skinned. Otherwise, it will be a frustrating two years that may end up in us all resenting the Brazilians on here, and vice versa. The British media will probably rip you guys to shreds as we get closer to the Games, as they always seem to do for every Olympics. Even a country with a reputation as a well-developed nation like Canada had to go through some real bs in the lead up to their Olympics. So don't stress it, and just look forward to the party, the sport and the bikinis. Brazil is headed for a record breaking performance in 2016 (30 medals plus), and an emergence as a sporting power. Don't let all the inevitable and sometimes warranted criticism get in the way of that excitement.

Edited by ofan
  • Like 3

OK well to be totally honest, which might be more fun, i don't care if anything is behind. I've said many times it really does not matter, it'll all be be fine in the end. The hgames will happen and be fantastic! SO lets talk about the other stuff and find out something everybody doesn't know already. ANd lets find out how crazy Brazillians are and how insane they act.

That's a fair comment.

To overthink Olympics - bring it on!!!

I would love to discuss whatever you guys want about venues, organization, look of the games, how to deal with the cauldron, 2 cauldrons? 3?...

Guys, I love Olympic Games too! Let's discuss Olympic Games?

But I get a lot of sarcasm and irony. The last 2 pages were only about that.

It's frustating. Instead of talking about our common likes, we are discussing if a certain residential building in Rio does look like Miami or not, and if yes, Miami ones are ugly as much as those in the picture... Really?

XXXI Summer Olympic Games! Let's discuss it?

yea SO WHAT. Respectfully get over it.....those building DO look like crap. Everyone has crap buildings don't feel too bad about it. Seriously.......it's a bad 15 story condo block....F-it dude.

• Like 3

So, everybody is amiguinho now.
Good, let's get back to normal life

:)

yea SO WHAT. Respectfully get over it.....those building DO look like crap. Everyone has crap buildings don't feel too bad about it. Seriously.......it's a bad 15 story condo block....F-it dude.

Many does... If you see some in Recreio district built in the 70s, you'd think that one in the picture is a palace...

BTW, Rio is home to one of the ugliest buildings in the world (it's always named in lists of the kind), the HQ of Petrobras... A disaster of the brutalist-modernist era...

1481525416b2d5c4b07b35ffr3.jpg

guess what......I'm aware of this building and ........I LOVE BRUTALISM...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I fucking love that building!

it's genius.

Now if you really want UGLY brutalist buildings you have to go to the meca................Toronto.

guess what......I'm aware of this building and ........I LOVE BRUTALISM...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it's genius.

Now if you really want UGLY brutalist buildings you have to go to the meca................Toronto.

C'est vrai.

• Like 1

Gosh, now I'm detracting Rio and you are defending it...

What the world?!?!?!

(sarcasm)

Probably I'll go to Toronto next year, some relatives living there... I will feel very comfy there, since in Brazil there a lot of brutalist buildings

Just a quick thought: If you can't even take the armchair experts here on gamesbids, how the hell will you be able to take sh!t from the British media?

It'll all depend. of course I'll be quick to call bullsh!t when I see it. But I'll try not to go all Latin about it! ;)

And it's the Commies. It feels a bit too churlish and arrogant to overdo the squeersquadding for the Green and Gold anyway. I'll try not to go all Tony about it :ph34r:

Edited by Tunku Rols

Probably I'll go to Toronto next year, some relatives living there... I will feel very comfy there, since in Brazil there a lot of brutalist buildings

You have relatives in Toronto? i thought they'd have moved to Orlando by now.

You have relatives in Toronto? i thought they'd have moved to Orlando by now.

Long history about Florida...

My cousin moved to Toronto... 2 days ago! Her fiancée lives there and she will be one more Brazilian in the city.

I'm planing to go to Toronto and maybe during the PanAms.