Rio-2016 News

Pay no attention to the favelas!!! Favelas?? What favelas???? Hooray for the Olympic Games!

We pay attention every day, but you know nothing about the favela, neither those idiots that make these sensationalist documentaries seeking audience. The biggest problem in the favela is drug traffic. It's hard to stop this because the traffic is supported by spoiled rich kids from Copacabana. So let's throw a missile and end it all? Or can we build a big wall separating the city? What do you want the government to do? What the U.S. government would do if the olympics were in New York to stop drug traffic in the streets of Bronx?

• Like 1

So the Joao Havelange part is the fancy part of the full name of the stadium that no-one ever pays attention to? Olympic Stadium is basically like the first and last name, while Joao Havelange is like the unimportant* middle name, correct?

Seems like a slight, confusing communication error that was exaggerated significantly and caused unnecessary conflict :wacko:

*depending from person to person

Picture of ESTÁDIO JORNALISTA MÁRIO RODRIGUES FILHO

14654069582_2ff8272fa2_b.jpg

But we brazilians call "Maracanã"

size_590_5.jpg

Try to ask any taxi driver in Sao Paulo to take you to the "Governor André Franco Montoro International Airport"...

Not even those who work in the Airport knows about "Franco Montoro" naming the Airport.

Everybody knows the Airport as "Guarulhos" or "Cumbica", the names of city and neighbourhood the Airport is located.

In december I took my cousin to Airport and my uncle, who is a retired pilot read the only sign with Montoro name on it and was amazed: "I didn't knew they added the name of Montoro on it. How can be? Governor Montoro was against building the Airport in Guarulhos!!!"

One day, you guys will understand Brazilians put nicknames to everything, indeed, because people does not agree with many of the "tribute to dead people" chosen by our stupid politicians.

Indeed, the highway that links International Airport to City Centre in Rio is only known as "Red Line", because the Red-painted bridges along the way, instead its official name "President João Goulart Highway", since João Goulart was a very unpopular president...

And the list is infinite...

when you yourself just called it "Joao Havelange."

We do it just to make you guys knows what we are talking about. But from now on, I will use the only name used by press, Brazilian people and even Rio City Hall: Engenhão.

The favela is there, right above one of our olympic stadiums, home to bad people, good people, poor people without running water, not so poor people with cable tv and internet, where in 1928 was founded the most famous school of samba, the Mangueira, a place I still not had the privilege of visiting.

You should, like the famous song say: "Mangueira, seu cenário é uma beleza, que a natureza criou" (Mangueira, your scenery is beautiful, Nature just created it".

Edited by DannyelBrazil

The song of Mangueira

Chaning for "REAL" news about Rio de Janeiro and the Olympic Games

I'm very worried about the elections for Governor of Rio de Janeiro state.

We have two religious-based candidates leading the polls...

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/poder/2014/07/1487581-garotinho-e-crivella-lideram-empatados-no-rio-com-24.shtml

14198780.png

That worries me much more than the name of a stadium of our poor neighbourhoods that won't vanish only because some Californian wants...

Actually, all candidates are terrible... gosh

I suppose the nicknames could also work for here, too. Where I live, some highways are named after officers (that I frankly don't know of), but in the end, we still address the highway by it's number.

I think it's not very uncommon.

In the USA some streets can have up to 5, 6 names...

Like the SW 8th Street in Miami that can be also:

Calle Ocho

Tamiami Trail

US-41

FL-9

Manuel Capo Blvd

Celia Cruz Way

All of this in the same block!

But in the end, they tend to use the number too, in this very specific case, in Spanish: Calle Ocho...

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 1

Bezzi, Thor, Victor, Catra...

Inté kando vomu dexar us istranjero fiidumaegua falah boixta dajenti s/sermu zuero cueles - preguntueu
PS: Esse texto é blindado contra traduções online - desculpa.
Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 2

- think it's becomes clearer each cycle that the Olympics doesn't make a city or it's people better that they already are.

-the ioc take advantage of locations they want to be in if the location also wants to have a party for any number of reasons that are not always the same for each city.

-it's a lot of fun to have a glamorous sporting competition with all the drama and glory it can bring if special interests and public interests can be convinced they will -benefit...whether they do or not.

-the special interests become a huge part of the machine that convinces the pubic that they will benefit...whether that is the case or not

-more often than not the host is left holding many bags of debt, unnecessary facilities, fallout after incidents or legal actions arise, damaged reputation if dirty laundry is aired etc.etc.

-however the host can hold on to "glory" false or not for eternity.

-think it's becomes clearer each cycle that the Olympics doesn't make a city or it's people better that they already are.

-the ioc take advantage of locations they want to be in if the location also wants to have a party for any number of reasons that are not always the same for each city.

-it's a lot of fun to have a glamorous sporting competition with all the drama and glory it can bring if special interests and public interests can be convinced they will -benefit...whether they do or not.

-the special interests become a huge part of the machine that convinces the pubic that they will benefit...whether that is the case or not

-more often than not the host is left holding many bags of debt, unnecessary facilities, fallout after incidents or legal actions arise, damaged reputation if dirty laundry is aired etc.etc.

-however the host can hold on to "glory" false or not for eternity.

And after all of these thoughts, you are still an Olympic fan? :blink:

Just asking, no offense intended.

......I'm interested in the bid process, not the candy coated host version. Which is why I rarely visit the Rio16 website.

...also I like graphics and creative visual marketing, so that will keep me interested no matter how goo or bad the host is doing.

I think you guys are on the wrong site if you just wanna talk about how fabulous it is that Rio is hosting and how special everything there is. Brazil won it's bit to host, now it's in the monumental stage of getting ready........the economy is getting more complicated, there is a degree of social unrest, promises have been broken, some facilities have been delayed, politicians are all over the place and confusing, there is scandal or corruption surrounding the IOC and FIFA......it's a little intriguing.

Now let's agree that I'm 100% sure Rio will do a very special games in 2016, that isn't really even a question for me.

• Like 1