Why must Favelas be improved? Can anyone tell me?

Sure the quality of living there is not good, but that is not the reason.

"It is for the safety of our guests" is what they say.

I always felt safe during my time in Rio, but I never walked around for fun in Favelas.

There are places in every big city in Germany too, where I wouldn´t walk at night.

That is not a Brazil or Rio problem. You´ll find those places all over the world.

Maybe a comment from someone abroad makes Athensfan understand some points. SInce he thinks all I say is under nationalistic blind love.

See you guys later!

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

BTW, this issue has nothing to do with Rio de Janeiro and Olympic Games. The security in Brazilian Grand Prix in Sao Paulo is made exclusively by Police Force of Sao Paulo state. It's a problem fo

My God, don't they have enough problems! {couldn't resist}

Uh, maybe because they are great ways to show what's going on in and around Rio. Keep posting please

In a very special way Favelas are kind of "romantic" from the outside. Don´t get me wrong.

It´s just when you drive around the city in the evening and the lights go on in the favelas on the hills, it just belongs to the skyline of Rio.

We had a really stunning view when we came back from Barra and passing Rocinha. What an amazing picture. Thousands of lights in front of you.

Maybe someone here have good pictures of that, mine are way too dark.

Why must Favelas be improved? Can anyone tell me?

Sure the quality of living there is not good, but that is not the reason.

"It is for the safety of our guests" is what they say.

I always felt safe during my time in Rio, but I never walked around for fun in Favelas.

There are places in every big city in Germany too, where I wouldn´t walk at night.

That is not a Brazil or Rio problem. You´ll find those places all over the world.

They should be improved for the sake of the poor people who have to live in them.

This have nothing to do with World Cup, despite you called me "mental unbalanced" because I was expecting Brazil to lose again... <_<

Project lagging behind schedule doesn't mean the games will be terrible, Athensfan. You are an Athens-fan!

About bay pollution, I'll not discuss this with you. The bay is polluted, more in the North, less in the South. I'm from Rio, I don't need to discuss with somebody living thousands of miles away from Rio about the bay I see so often.

About improvements in favelas, you should check Infra-structure and Venue improvements thread before even mention it...

BTW, Rio never promised to improve a single favela for the Olympics (despite being improving dozens of them). I'm not sure why you bring this subject here...

Next week, after a deserved break of GamesBids, I'll post dozens of pics of Telhado Social or Lift in Favelas programmes... Just in case.

See ya next week, Athensfan!

Enjoy your week! It's summer in California, go get some breeze.

You were cheering on the Netherlands, praying they would beat Brazil because you were so upset by the loss to Germany. And that particular post did sound emotionally unhinged.

Did I say Rio's Games would be terrible? Absolutely not. I've said repeatedly that I hope they are a success, but you keep dismissing that statement. There you go again with a chip on your shoulder. I simply said that just because the IOC suddenly says everything's rosy, I am not convinced. They are doing PR damage control.

I know you have this belief that because the bay is more polluted in the area where the sailing will not take place, that somehow means the sailing venue is just fine. HELLO. IT'S WATER. EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED. I'm sure the pollution levels are lower at the sailing venues, but that does not mean they are GOOD.

Whether Rio promised to improve favelas or not (and my understanding is that there WERE several initiatives to improve the standard of living), it's obscene to invest billions in a 2-week party while citizens are living without electricity, running water and basic sanitation.

Danny, YOU make all of this personal. It is as if any concern voiced about Brazil is an insult to you PERSONALLY. It's immature and tiresome.

Enjoy the final tomorrow.

You were cheering on the Netherlands, praying they would beat Brazil because you were so upset by the loss to Germany. And that particular post did sound emotionally unhinged.

Did I say Rio's Games would be terrible? Absolutely not. I've said repeatedly that I hope they are a success, but you keep dismissing that statement. There you go again with a chip on your shoulder. I simply said that just because the IOC suddenly says everything's rosy, I am not convinced. They are doing PR damage control.

I know you have this belief that because the bay is more polluted in the area where the sailing will not take place, that somehow means the sailing venue is just fine. HELLO. IT'S WATER. EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED. I'm sure the pollution levels are lower at the sailing venues, but that does not mean they are GOOD.

Whether Rio promised to improve favelas or not (and my understanding is that there WERE several initiatives to improve the standard of living), it's obscene to invest billions in a 2-week party while citizens are living without electricity, running water and basic sanitation.

Danny, YOU make all of this personal. It is as if any concern voiced about Brazil is an insult to you PERSONALLY. It's immature and tiresome.

Enjoy the final tomorrow.

Yes, there are tons of improvements to be done, still. But in these last years a lot was done to improve people under the line of poverty lives, from improving the quality of lives in the favelas, from constructing new buildings to improving transport systems, to improving income levels. It's really a nice thing to know many in the world are concerned with the quality of life in the favelas, despite their own problems back home and despite of the role their own countries play in developing countries, but I can say I'm really glad we can do both thing... improve people's quality of life and throw big events like the WC and the Olympics, without having to choose between feeding people or having a stadium, this is simply not true.

Here we go again. This argument is getting ridiculous. We are all going round and round in circles with the same argument. It's getting boring, hence why I have stopped with it. Some get offended when You criticise the preparations and others keep getting argumentative.

Just to post some facts: Rio 2016's preparations are improving.

Although, I did read somewhere that 2 Years before London 2012 (in 2010), London was 60% Complete. Athens 2004 (In 2002) was 40% Complete. Rio 2016 (In 2014) is only 10% Complete. Is this true?

Brazil lifted millions out of poverty in the last decade. The June Journeys (as some are calling it) were fueled by this enpowered generation and, as you all know, they happened because people want to end the gap of inequalities. The big events are in the middle of the growing pains of this country. Favelas and world class venues will be side by side as long as we try to figure things out. That's the fabric of Brazilian society and development.

Here we go again. This argument is getting ridiculous. We are all going round and round in circles with the same argument. It's getting boring, hence why I have stopped with it. Some get offended when You criticise the preparations and others keep getting argumentative.

Just to post some facts: Rio 2016's preparations are improving.

Although, I did read somewhere that 2 Years before London 2012 (in 2010), London was 60% Complete. Athens 2004 (In 2002) was 40% Complete. Rio 2016 (In 2014) is only 10% Complete. Is this true?

I'm not sure you understand what stopped means.

Yeah they should, but not for the WC or the Olympics.

Yeah, why bother with electricity, running water or basic sanitation when you can spend billions on sports festivals instead?

After all, they've survived this long. Surely they can wait a few years more so that the government can throw some really nice parties.

They'll have their cake and eat it too. It's just that some will wait a wee bit longer than others to be served.

Yeah, why bother with electricity, running water or basic sanitation when you can spend billions on sports festivals instead?

Do you know how many people have electricity in Rio? (99.5% btw)

Do you know how much the running water and sewage treatment grew in the last 10 years? From 65% of Rio people to 80%.

Do you know how many people live in the so-worried favelas? 15% in Rio.

What else you want to discuss?

Go worry about the money of your government, leave Brazil to Brazilians ;)

The look of the games will be unveiled August 5th, 2014 according to O Globo newspapers.

State of Rio also reporter, the pollution in Guanabara Bay is lowest in the last decades, still, the bay is still polluted. Ecobarriers will be teste in a sailing event to be held in August

About hotel rooms, it's confirmed that Rio will have at least 41,000 rooms by 2016.

The report also says the biggest challenges will be about security and transportation.

http://oglobo.globo.com/rio/depois-da-copa-rio-ainda-tem-muitas-obras-fazer-nos-preparativos-para-2016-13239337

Rio, in June 2014: 40% official number from Rio 2016-OCOG

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/poder/2014/07/1485392-e-complexo-impedir-a-acao-de-cambistas-diz-presidente-da-rio-2016.shtml

BTW, nice interview from Carlos Arthur Nuzman, head of Rio 2016-OCOG. Go to google translator and have fun.

Edited by DannyelBrazil