Rio-2016 News

danfla

Too bad nobody admitted to that during the 2016 campaign.

I seem to remember it brought ups few times. Anyway, it's no close-held secret that football is Brazil's passion.

Is it any different elsewhere. I doubt ratings for an IAAF meet or FINA championships comes close to rivalling those normally for, say, the NFL in the US, Premier League in the UK, AFL or NRL in Oz. the Olympics are a different kettle of fish though - they transcend sports and traditional sports viewership.

• Like 3

Rio 2016, as a public funded endeavor, already failed when it comes to creating a national drive for olympic sport. It won't leave any kind of sports culture legacy to the city or the country. No kid will discover other new sport different from those he or she already plays in school namely football, futsal, volleyball, basketball, handball, judo and swimming. No generation will be inspired and passion will live then leave here after 17 days.

BOC, and Rio 2016 committee are doing so little to raise olympic awareness country wide that Brazilians will most certainly cheer for a balance beam athlete as they cheer for a football player: screaming, shouting and cursing. I don't doubt the Olympic Games, as an event, will be successful in Rio de Janeiro, but as a new era for Brazilian sports mentality and practices, it will barely change anything.

Too bad nobody admitted to that during the 2016 campaign.

Only a complete moron or a ignorant person doesn't know this. I think most not-ignorant people on the world knows this fact. What why is it too bad? Olympics happened in places where soccer is much more followed. Means nothing, really.

A lot of the so called "olympic sports" are hot garbage that nobodies watches outside of the Olympics while football is the world's passion.

Rio 2016, as a public funded endeavor, already failed when it comes to creating a national drive for olympic sport. It won't leave any kind of sports culture legacy to the city or the country. No kid will discover other new sport different from those he or she already plays in school namely football, futsal, volleyball, basketball, handball, judo and swimming. No generation will be inspired and passion will live then leave here after 17 days.

BOC, and Rio 2016 committee are doing so little to raise olympic awareness country wide that Brazilians will most certainly cheer for a balance beam athlete as they cheer for a football player: screaming, shouting and cursing. I don't doubt the Olympic Games, as an event, will be successful in Rio de Janeiro, but as a new era for Brazilian sports mentality and practices, it will barely change anything.

I do think even if they really have tried (since it seems they not), media would not pay attention on it before the end of World Cup. This is one of the problems of hosting the World Cup before the Olympic Games.

Media is not giving any space to news related to Olympic Games now. But, you can bet, the day after the World Cup (if Brazil are not the champions), Olympic Games will be the subject in the media.

The Rio Olympics will have four main hubs, but will be centred on an area called Barra da Tijuca in the city's south west. Barra locals are known as "barristas", so even if the venues are a little sketchy, you should at least able to grab a decent coffee.

Source:

http://www.news.com.au/sport/rio-de-janeiro-is-way-behind-schedule-to-host-2016-olympics/story-fnect155-1226716757257

As a Carioca-born person, never heard of this term "Barrista" for those from Barra da Tijuca...

Media has gone too far on their impressions about Rio...

but it is understood that virtually everything is behind schedule.

Oh, I agree many venues are behind schedule, but "virtually everything" is not true...

Maracanã - done

Maracanãzinho Gymnasium - done

HSBC Arena/Arena da Barra - done

Maria Lenk Aquatic Park - done

Shooting Stand at Deodoro - done

Sambadrome - done

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Most companies are focusing on the World Cup right now. After all, historically, football always attract more TV audience in Brazil than any Olympic events and big media conglomerates are tossing it everywhere.

I believe Rio Games will be a success of tickets sales (as was the PanAms on 2007) but won´t have nearly the same impact on Tv audiences as the World Cup

The PanAms had nice audiences in Brazilian TV: 35 points for a volleyball match only in TV Globo, at afternoon, that's a big number, specially compared with the 45 points Globo made in average for Brazilian matches in South Africa 2010.

I do think Olympics in Brazil will atract even more audience than PanAms, locally.

And with this I finish my participation in the forums for some time.

Tired of some arguments here. Tired of seeing people happy with bad news coming from Rio and Brazil.
That's disgusting and nasty.

Tired of a lot of things.

So, hope you guys enjoy and, please, keeping spreading the word on how Brazil suck as a country. Maybe you guys are right. Maybe you're not.

Olympic exhibition arrives in the Rio 2016 Games host city

medalhas_menor_-_paulo_marrucho.jpg

Rio de Janeiro is now closer to the Olympic Games. From Friday, the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games host city receives, at the Museu Histórico Nacional (National History Museum in Portuguese), in the city centre, the interactive exhibition “Olympic Games: Sport, Culture and Art”. The exhibition gathers 300 historical items that marked the path of the Games in the Modern Era – such as original medals, torches, mascots and uniforms – that are part of the collection of the Olympic Museum in Lausanne, Switzerland. Admission is free and the exhibition will be open to the public until 1 December.

Organised by the Brazilian Olympic Committee (BOC), the exhibition, which has been held in São Paulo in the first half of the year, serves as a warm up to the Rio 2016 Games. And it will introduce the Olympic Games values to Cariocas:

“As the host country of the next edition of the Olympic Games, it is our responsibility to contribute to the process of Olympic education of the Brazilian people, a task that goes far beyond knowing the rules of the 28 disciplines that compose the Olympic programme”, said the President of the Rio 2016 Committee, Carlos Arthur Nuzman.

During the visit, the public will experience holding the torch of the London 2012 Olympic Games – with Tower Bridge in the background –, taking pictures with Mischa, the famous Moscow 1980 mascot, and participating in a long jump simulation. There will also be a screening room where videos from the International Olympic Committee (IOC) collection will be shown. The public will also be able to see the uniform of Roger Federer, the footwear of Adhemar Ferreira da Silva, the trainers of Michael Jordan, the gloves of "Sugar" Ray Leonard and the swimsuit of Cesar Cielo – all Olympic champions – among other items that were immortalised by the athletes. Part of the collection belongs to the IOC and another part to the BOC.

“Bringing items that represent important moments in modern history to Rio de Janeiro is a great honour to us all. During the competition, the world celebrates humanity through mutual respect, friendship between peoples and the continuous search for excellence”, says Christiane Paquelet, BOC Cultural Director.

The exhibition – a true invitation to immerse oneself in the history, dreams, values and challenges that contributed for the Olympic Games to break the boundaries of sport – is divided into nine modules: Ancient Games, Coubertin’s Dream, Igniting the Torch, Ceremonies, Sport and Medals, Mascots, Rio 2016, Memorabilia and Time Brasil, connecting history, excitement, knowledge, education and culture.

Check out some of the exhibition items:

- Uniform of Tennis player Roger Federer (SWI), Olympic Champion in Beijing 2008;

- Trainers of the American Basketball player Michael Jordan, Olympic champion in Barcelona 1992

- Transcript of the speech from Baron du Coubertin about the proposal for recreation of the Modern Olympic Games presented in Sorbonne, Paris, in 1892

- Prize medals, torches, mascots

- Swimsuit of Brazilian swimmer and Olympic champion Cesar Cielo, used in Beijing 2008

- Footwear and medal of Adhemar Ferreira da Silva, two-time Olympic champion in Helsinki 1952 and Melbourne 1956

- Clothing of Singer Marisa Monte at the closing ceremony of London 2012

- Signed glove of American pugilist “Sugar” Ray Leonard, gold medallist in the Montreal 1976 Olympic Games, and world champion in five different categories

- Pistol of Guilherme Paraense – firearm used for winning the first gold medal in Brazilian history, on the single fast shot event during the Antwerp 1920 Olympic Games

- Replica of the peach basket which James Naismith, a Canadian-born American sports coach, used for inventing Basketball, in 1891

Service

Venue: Museu Histórico Nacional

Address: Praça Marechal Âncora S/Nº, Centro - Rio de Janeiro (Close to Praça XV)

Dates: 13 September - 1 December 2013

Opening Times: Tuesday – Friday, 10h00 – 17h30/ Saturday – Sunday and Holidays, 14h00 – 18h00 / Closed on
Mondays

Admission: Free entry

Rio 2016

I seem to remember it brought ups few times. Anyway, it's no close-held secret that football is Brazil's passion.

Is it any different elsewhere. I doubt ratings for an IAAF meet or FINA championships comes close to rivalling those normally for, say, the NFL in the US, Premier League in the UK, AFL or NRL in Oz. the Olympics are a different kettle of fish though - they transcend sports and traditional sports viewership.

It was brought up as a concern. There was a real fear that the World Cup would upstage the Olympics because of the Brazilian football tradition. During the bid, the Brazilians all argued that there was no chance of this happening. Now they seem to be singing a different tune.

Sure more Americans watch the NFL than diving, but they do tune into the Olympics in droves, particularly domestic ones. The idea that Brazilian viewership of their own Olympics will pale in comparison to viewership of the World Cup is disappointing.

Only disappoints those with lack of knowledge. If brazilians fooled you saying the contrary shame on them. Did you change your vote because of that? Anyways, nobody is saying WC will outshine the Olympics. They are not simultaneous. Just saying that more people care and will watch football.

Continuing on your ignorance (no insult, just the exacting meaning of the word) and to relieve you from your disappointment, Mr. Athensfans: The local ratings for most Olympic sports on average will be twice, if not thrice bigger than the the numbers NBC averages in the US.

Ok, more than that. Just checked:

"More to the point, an average of 31.1 million viewers watched the Games coverage on NBC in prime time. That figure tops the most recent Summer Olympics, 2008’s Beijing Games (27.7 million), by 12 percent."

Prime time events in Brazil will average 100 to 120 million people EASILY. LOL. It's just that football (in 2002, for example) peaked at 92% of the market share in a QFs match. 92% of a 200m people country. So as you can see, you can't beat that but still the ratings locally will be as up as 5 times bigger than the ratings in the US. Hopefully now you wont be disappointed no more.

Now, if you are disappointed because WC is more important than the Olympics, well.. It's the same in a lot of countries on planet earth and IOC knows this. So don't be, please. 'Cause it ain't changing no time soon.

ps: 3 of the 4 biggest TV corporations in Brazil brought the rights to broadcast for the Olympics. Also, at least 3 different cable channels will broadcast the games. So, as you can see, Rio will be the 2nd most locally watched Olympics Games of all time, second only to 2008 China.

And only India can beat china on such rankings. lol

It was brought up as a concern. There was a real fear that the World Cup would upstage the Olympics because of the Brazilian football tradition. During the bid, the Brazilians all argued that there was no chance of this happening. Now they seem to be singing a different tune.

Sure more Americans watch the NFL than diving, but they do tune into the Olympics in droves, particularly domestic ones. The idea that Brazilian viewership of their own Olympics will pale in comparison to viewership of the World Cup is disappointing.

Nobody claimed the Olympics would fire as much passion as a World Cup. Get the ticketing and ticket pricing right, however, and I don't suppose there will be any problems with Rio 2016 selling out. The comparison with NFL in the US is absolutely spot-on I think. As would be a comparison with football in England. I don't think anything's changed really.

Personally, I never supported Rio because I always felt that the Olympics right after what will be the most amazing World Cup would be like having Christmas dinner again on Boxing Day. Rio 2016 - however successful it is - would feel very different (and more special) were it in isolation this decade, rather than having to follow what's going to be the biggest World Cup in footballing history. That's always been my worry and again, nothing's changed for me there. I know others don't feel this way at all, but that's the feeling I get.

But it is what it is, and I'm certain 2016 will be a success nonetheless. :)

Well, nobody on these boards claimed it anyway! Bid teams will egg things up. If every nation had the passion for athletics bid teams always claim they do, we wouldn't end up with stadium legacy problems after nearly every Olympics!

Everyone knows Brazil's passion for football is massively greater than for any other sport, so if the bid team did claim otherwise you'd have to be a fool to believe them. It's all relative though, so that doesn't mean Rio 2016 won't be a success.

Only disappoints those with lack of knowledge. If brazilians fooled you saying the contrary shame on them. Did you change your vote because of that? Anyways, nobody is saying WC will outshine the Olympics. They are not simultaneous. Just saying that more people care and will watch football.

Continuing on your ignorance (no insult, just the exacting meaning of the word) and to relieve you from your disappointment, Mr. Athensfans: The local ratings for most Olympic sports on average will be twice, if not thrice bigger than the the numbers NBC averages in the US.

Ok, more than that. Just checked:

"More to the point, an average of 31.1 million viewers watched the Games coverage on NBC in prime time. That figure tops the most recent Summer Olympics, 2008’s Beijing Games (27.7 million), by 12 percent."

Prime time events in Brazil will average 100 to 120 million people EASILY. LOL. It's just that football (in 2002, for example) peaked at 92% of the market share in a QFs match. 92% of a 200m people country. So as you can see, you can't beat that but still the ratings locally will be as up as 5 times bigger than the ratings in the US. Hopefully now you wont be disappointed no more.

Now, if you are disappointed because WC is more important than the Olympics, well.. It's the same in a lot of countries on planet earth and IOC knows this. So don't be, please. 'Cause it ain't changing no time soon.

ps: 3 of the 4 biggest TV corporations in Brazil brought the rights to broadcast for the Olympics. Also, at least 3 different cable channels will broadcast the games. So, as you can see, Rio will be the 2nd most locally watched Olympics Games of all time, second only to 2008 China.

And only India can beat china on such rankings. lol

McCatra, you're astonishingly ill-mannered.

First, let's see what the ratings actually ARE. Anyone can make predictions.

Second, I never made any comment about Brazilian vs. American viewership of Rio 2016. The point is Brazilian viewership of the World Cup vs. Brazilian viewership of the Olympic Games.

Nobody claimed the Olympics would fire as much passion as a World Cup. Get the ticketing and ticket pricing right, however, and I don't suppose there will be any problems with Rio 2016 selling out. The comparison with NFL in the US is absolutely spot-on I think. As would be a comparison with football in England. I don't think anything's changed really.

Personally, I never supported Rio because I always felt that the Olympics right after what will be the most amazing World Cup would be like having Christmas dinner again on Boxing Day. Rio 2016 - however successful it is - would feel very different (and more special) were it in isolation this decade, rather than having to follow what's going to be the biggest World Cup in footballing history. That's always been my worry and again, nothing's changed for me there. I know others don't feel this way at all, but that's the feeling I get.

But it is what it is, and I'm certain 2016 will be a success nonetheless. :)

Some of the Brazilians did claim that the Olympics would be equally well-received in Brazil.

Your Christmas dinner/Boxing day analogy is quite apropos.

i think the entire rio 2016 bid and lula did, not surprised to be fibbed to by a bid, its expexcted

EXACTLY.

But weren't you basing your disappointment in my prediction that WC is much much much more important and the numbers and couldn't be compared to the olympics? lol. No news was posted. It was ME that brought the subject. So your disappointment is based on... guess what? Predictions. :lol:

I can bet you 10 to 1 on the 100m spectators figure on prime time tv. It's an easy bet. Lets find someone to be the cashier.

To put it on terms that you'll understand: Firstly: The 'CBS', 'ABC' and 'NBC' of brazil will broadcast the olympics live. Can you imagine that? Secondly, the 'CBS' of Brazil dominates the broadcast tv market share. It's like 'CBS' and 'ABC' summed up. Are you getting this? Also, cable-tv is not as abundant in Brasil, so people watch what the 'CBS' of Brazil shows. Ok.... Thirdly: The brazilian 'ESPN', 'FOX Sports', 'NBC Sports' plus another one will also broadcast the games on cable.

The football and volleyball games will be on prime time tv. This alone can secure my bet :).

Anyways, I'm still intrigued on who fooled you saying that Olympics would fire as much passion for brazilians as a WC. I'd like to see quotes, btw. I think not even politicians on a campaign would say such stupid thing because I doubt IOC executive board have members that are this ignorant about Football importance in Brazil, so dunno what they accomplished by fooling people like you.

ps: I'd love if the ratings were a failure but that ain't happening.

Your posts are confusing, Mr. Athensfan. Ok, let me try to understand your logic... So you knew they lied, you were never fooled. Ok. I see that tou're merely point out their lies. Makes sense. I'd do the same if I was you. Now, why did you say you were disappointed? I mean you knew they were lying... Makes no sense.

Another problem with your post: "I'm just pointing out how the tune changes once the campaign is over." If the politicians / people in Rio's campaign fooled you, they haven't yet changed no fucking tone. See?

Didn't you read my last post? You are basing this on a post I made that is backed up only by my knowledge about the country I live in. I could be wrong, tho. The olympics could outshine the WC. Who knows. I highly doubt, tho.

And I also didn't change my tone. Mr. Danny still hates me because I often criticize Rio.

I'm not sure anyone was "surprised" about bid fibs, but it is a bit disappointing that we have to endure these lies over and over from wannabees as they make their case. You would have thought Rio was Disneyland just where everyone smiles more during the bid? Though I remember helicopters falling from the sky and buses in flames, it's all swept under the rug. I don't think anyone really believes the lies but when the truth doesn't fit you have to put sugar on it. It's time to go the South America, Brazil found lots of oil money, it's simple.. End of story. :)

As for World Cup vs Olympics its a good warm up for dealing with protesters.

Edited by paul

No Catra, I don't hate you anymore

I just decided to remain quiet and read more. Maybe I can learn more about Brazil from you guys.

Learn about Rio, a city full of lazy people who won a bid for Olympic games selling lies, and seems to be not able go host big events...

(Forget the Rock in Rio now happening - the biggest music festival in this planet or the PanAms, or the UN environmental summit twice, or the WYD or a huge list of events, all successful).

I'm learning too about TV ratings in Brazil, despite working in the area.

Whatever for the numbers I posted that can be checked in the internet showing there is no big difference between World Cup and Olympics in average in Brazil. I'm now learning from Athensfan, somebody who could not name two TV networks in Brazil (imagine the values and dynamics of contracts of broadcasting) , that World Cup will outshine Olympics in TV ratings.

It's good to learn.

Like Paul's Brazil factbook. A country with a population of 200 million riots where "helicopters (plural) falls from sky" and we replace fleets of buses every year because they get in flames so frequently... But this no matter, we have enough money from an ocean of oil to buy buses and helicopters.

I got so happy to know from Paul (it's new for me) Brazil is already taking the pre-salt oil 10 years in advance....

See! We can make things quickly. Even before technology for extreme deep oil can be finished and tested.

About one thing Rio bid didn't lie: "It's a new Brazil"... Also for me.

This country you guys are reporting I don't know

Everything get so absurd here that I'm starting to like Catra...

Oooops, did I say it loud?

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Danny, you're being obnoxious. Is this what we have to look forward to from our hosts in 2016?

Danny, if you actually read this thread as you claimed, you would see that I did not make any argument about what Brazil's viewership would be. I don't have any familiarity with Brazilian broadcasting and I never pretended to. I was RESPONDING to a post made by a BRAZILIAN who told me that the ratings for the Olympics would pale in comparison to the ratings for the World Cup. Assuming that's true, it's a shame. That's it.

I am not trying to teach you anything about your own country.

It sounds to me like perhaps you ought to listen a bit more to IOC Vice President John Coates rather than assuming all negative publicity is totally false.

Why so many personal adjectives? Stick to arguments, you're a good on showing your points until you get personal, as always.

Is this a forum or a battle?

Stop with personal judgements. This is obnoxious.

This makes me tired of this forums.

Edited by DannyelBrazil