danfla

Rio-2016 News

Yes, big part of the preparations for the Olympic Games "in general" is delayed. But every single Brazilian here already said that.

What's matter then?

I was mad that this thread has evolved into flame wars between you and Tony, and that Pele's opinion on these matters (the preps) went completely unreported.

I was mad that this thread has evolved into flame wars between you and Tony, and that Pele's opinion on these matters (the preps) went completely unreported.

Pele also said Brazil don't need new hospitals and asked people to forget social issues in name of the World Cup.

Result? People burned pictures of him during last year's protests.

Pele's opinion is not widely taken in count in Brazil... He was great with a ball, but Romario once said "Pele with closed mouth is a poet"

Athensfan - Guanabara Bay is clean and ready. Rio 2016 will be finished on time. Why panic? It will all run smoothly. End of sarcasm.

You just luuuuvvv being a great ambassador of England don't you?

Yeah I realize that and I honestly at this point do not care

When you are proud of yourself for being a total jackass, you may want to step back and rethink what you are doing.

• Like 1

The main reason I'm mad is that many Brazilians are missing my point (and other peoples as well). We don't care if the bay is huge or smaller than an atom, the main point is that it's in bad shape along with Rio itself, and instead of having these petty arguments (looking at you Tony) we need to report real news. My earlier post was a climax point after several days of seeing this thread debate media (again) and the fact that this VERY important piece of news (Pele's disgrace) not being reported.

Hence why the past 24 Hours, I've kept my opinions to myself. I'm not aloud an opinion.

I'm not going to read this thread anymore because it's deteriorated into true stupidity.

By the way, I have Tony on ignore. It makes life so much better. Highly recommended.

Danny, you've become just as unreadable as Tony.

• Like 2

Brazilians wake the phuck up and smell the damn roses, even your precious Pele is disgraced from your preparations. It does not matter if the picture was wrong or not, what matters is that the whole bay is a literal **** hole. Please stop with these, "That's not the REAL Rio" or "Western Media is painting us badly" or "We are developing differently", it's sounds worse then Tony's ethnocentric BS. Face it that your nation is in terrible shape, your economy is slowing down, and you have two years until the largest sporting event in the world and Rio is not ready.

Is this even possible to happen here, moderation? I mean, it speaks for itself. I can only say it's despicable.

Danny, you've become just as unreadable as Tony.

Athensfan,
What happened?
I always tried to discuss with you in high level, in a polite and educated way.
We disagree about a bunch of things (and probably we will forever, which is cool, the world would be so boring if everybody agreed in everything), but so far, we did it in a good mood.
To put me and Tony in the same basket is kind of offensive.
I hope we can fix some misunderstood I missed.

Golf Course new information

915566_243605762506855_1374884982_n.jpg

14238142982_c1b5e87bf1_b.jpg

http://globotv.globo.com/rede-globo/bom-dia-rio/t/edicoes/v/comeca-o-plantio-da-grama-no-campo-de-golf-para-os-jogos-olimpicos-de-2016/3359635/

Eleven days after the first tests with irrigation in the Olympic golf course, began May 20, planting grass for the first 18 holes of the course created by designer Gil Hanse. The schedule is to put grass on three holes per month and finish planting until September 2014. Technicians believe that 11 months after that, in September 2015, the grass will be "closed" and the field ready to receive Brazil PGA Tour Latinoamérica, in November 2015, which would be the first test event of the new field.

So test events are guaranteed, right?

And

NO SOUTH AMERICAN TORCH RELAY FOR 2016

http://blogs.lancenet.com.br/rio2016/2014/05/22/faltou-folego-para-o-revezamento-sul-americano/

Plans for the relay of the Olympic torch through South America were buried.
It was confirmed that the torch will travel through all states during the 100-day relay. And the desire of a torch relay across South America, spurred by the Rio committee since its application process, lagged behind.
After the 2008 Beijing Games, the International Olympic Committee (IOC), decided to end a global torch relay race and focused only on the host country. But Rio had claimed to take the relay to the countries of South America was a way to involve them even more of the Games, which take place the first time on this continent.

• Like 1

The Golf Course is looking very nice.

I do miss the Worldwide Olympic Torch Relay. Anyway, progress is speeding up on Rio 2016 and is improving drastically. Congratulations Rio!

Athensfan,
What happened?
I always tried to discuss with you in high level, in a polite and educated way.
We disagree about a bunch of things (and probably we will forever, which is cool, the world would be so boring if everybody agreed in everything), but so far, we did it in a good mood.
To put me and Tony in the same basket is kind of offensive.
I hope we can fix some misunderstood I missed.

I also found that weird from AF. Even if Danny might sometimes get overly sensitive, at least he is trying to give an insider's view of the wider picture in response to people posting random stories from international media but is not devoid of critical opinions. To put him in the same (basket)case as a certain someone posting biased trite day after day is bordering on insult.

• Like 2

I also found that weird from AF. Even if Danny might sometimes get overly sensitive, at least he is trying to give an insider's view of the wider picture in response to people posting random stories from international media but is not devoid of critical opinions. To put him in the same (basket)case as a certain someone posting biased trite day after day is bordering on insult.

I agree Danny has the capacity to be a wonderful contributor to these boards. He has shown that in the past. By contrast , I am not at all convinced the same is true of Tony.

Danny is certainly not "the same" as Tony. However, his perpetual defensiveness, his penchant for repeating himself ad nauseum and his eagerness to take the bait every time Tony puts it out there made many of his recent posts just boring and unreadable.

His post on the golf course, for example, was a welcome return to informative, interesting content.

Same goes for the post on the torch relay.

Anyway, I'm impressed with Rio 2016's progress lately. The Olympic Park is off the ground, which is positive.

Athensfan, you say I'm "perpetual defensive", however, at the moment IOC released first notes about "shameful" progress in Rio, I made simply no post against it, pretty much agreed with most posted here and I'm still very skeptical about parts of Rio preparations. It might be the hundreth time I say (from local POV) that what worries me more is subway line, whitewater stadium and international airport mainly. Knowing Rio and how Brazil work, those are my fears.

I can't be "perpetual defensive" if I post several times I fear the main and only public transportation link between 2 clusters is on risk.

I agreed with you Brazilian authorities are really stupid, and in fact they are proving it every single day.

Back to IOC remarks, as times goes, we in Brazil got more informations, pictures and people in SSC who are visiting the works pointed the situation was not that bad, indeed a week later IOC vice president released a note sayin he was happy with progress.

Brazilian press leaked slides from ROCOG january presentation to IOC that proved no remark by Mr. Coates was accurate (and actually nor the presentation, all wrote there is now 3 months late start).

About Guabanara Bay, you have here two guys that live and raise just side by side with it.

We maybe have some knowledge about what we are claiming. I spent almost half of my life haveing leisure at Flamengo Park (where sailing is expected to place). Can I get some credit, indeed for saying that just right now, even the south of the bay is not in adequate situation for a sailing event (and I said it several times)? And more, I posted here pictures of Plan B location, Buzios, because I have it clear that the plan B can be used.

I do hope we can continue discussing in high level because despite of our differences, both of us share the love for Olympic Games.

Edited by Danny El Tico

Anyway, I'm impressed with Rio 2016's progress lately. The Olympic Park is off the ground, which is positive.

It's a bit late for niceities...

I would think having the torch relay through S America a difficult logistical operation anyway...Also, torch relays are becomming long winded. Straight from Greece to Brazil via London and Tokyo is all you need.

And what would be the point of London and Tokyo in a relay of the first South American games? Japan and the UK have seen the flame multiple times and would require no easier operations than a scenic relay through the most important spots of Brazil's neighboring countries. This previous/next host city nod is cool but works best in a CWG context IMO

• Like 2

Just because went wrong in the past does not mean it could not work now. The world cup trophy went through 89 countries before arriving in Brazil. The torch does not need to go through many hands. Just choose the greatest athlete in the country and a small stretch in a safe place and it'll be all right.

That's probably because the World Cup Trophy is an irrelevant symbol compared to the traditional exposure and iconic nature of the Olympic Torch Relay. The Olympic Flame is a magnet of media and in many ways do represent the games themselves, thus, attracting much (un)desirable attention. No other symnolic relay of any kind compares to its complexity and prominence. Although I don't believe a continental relay in other South American countries would hold attract grudge of strong disruptive proportions against Brazil.

one more reason to keep the international relay

IOC pointed precisely this reason to keep it low from now on.

The IOC made their decision after Beijing. And given the controversy around Sochi, I bet they're even more glad of that decision than before. Canada, London and Sochi all had successful domestic relays and Brazil will too. No more needs to be said than that because there's no going back to the short-lived international relay.

South American relay can lead to small tensions.

The risk is very small compared to take the torch to other places of the world.

Argentines can use the relay for one more cacerolazo protest against whatever they always protest.

Paraguayans in the border region can protest against the Brazilian farmers that controls the biggest part of Paraguay's agricultural sector. There is a lot of tension about it.

Bolivians do think Brazil is an imperialist country, there is some reasonable tension about it.

Not to mention, in Brazil the relay can be used by some "hospital-school" protesters (or homeless-eviction ones) with banners "Where is the money of the Olympics?" and stuff....

The torch relay will always atract this kind of attention.

Edited by Danny El Tico