Rio-2016 News

4 minutes ago, zekekelso said:

You are overlooking the whole "Lied to the police and the world saying they were robbed by thugs posing as police." Do a quick search on how many news articles were written based on that story on the dangers of Rio, and you might start to understand why the Brazilians are just a bit pissed. No, they aren't going to rot in jail or be publicly flogged, but the boys-will-be-boys justifications have to stop. 

I understand what you are saying however, they may have truly believed that they were being "shaken down" by the security officer.  With the language difference, how much of what the officer said was understood?  Did they actually do the damage to the rest room?  We will never know.  If they did the damage, then they should have expected to pay for the damage.  However under the influence of alcohol nothing is to be "as expected".

I do understand the number of articles that were written on the dangers of Rio.  However, if it was not this situation, it would have been another situation.  Look at the GB athlete who was robbed at gunpoint the other night.  I think the US media has gone out of their way to portray Rio in a positive light (possibly because LA is bidding for the 2024 Olympics?). The media has not publicized many of the high profile muggings / robberies that have taken place.

4 minutes ago, lovecruisingtoo said:

I think the US media has gone out of their way to portray Rio in a positive light (possibly because LA is bidding for the 2024 Olympics?). The media has not publicized many of the high profile muggings / robberies that have taken place.

What?? The US media is to blame for many articles of doomsday to take place Rio. Which is ridiculous, given the enormous amount of issues taking place in the US (Zika, contaminated water, violence). No high profile muggins/robberies took place in the Olympics and that's why nothing was reported. Why are you so thirsty for that? Can't you just accept the games were successful?  

9 minutes ago, lovecruisingtoo said:

I understand what you are saying however, they may have truly believed that they were being "shaken down" by the security officer.  With the language difference, how much of what the officer said was understood?  Did they actually do the damage to the rest room?  We will never know.  If they did the damage, then they should have expected to pay for the damage.  However under the influence of alcohol nothing is to be "as expected".

I do understand the number of articles that were written on the dangers of Rio.  However, if it was not this situation, it would have been another situation.  Look at the GB athlete who was robbed at gunpoint the other night.  I think the US media has gone out of their way to portray Rio in a positive light (possibly because LA is bidding for the 2024 Olympics?). The media has not publicized many of the high profile muggings / robberies that have taken place.

If they truly believed they were being shaken down by the security officer, and told people they were shaken down by a security officer, they wouldn't be in any real trouble. It's the making up the whole fake-cops robbing a cab story that is problematic.

Had they said we were shaken down by security officers, you wouldn't get quotes like this - from the Washington Post no less - "One police officer, speaking on the condition of anonymity, said that taxi drivers often work with other criminals to facilitate robberies. The prospect of thieves dressed as police is more unusual, the officer said.“It’s not common, but it happens. It’s not every day,” said the officer, who had not been briefed on the incident. “From my point of view, the taxi driver was involved. Very possible.”

As for the US going out of their way to portray Rio is a positive light, I guess you missed the hundreds of articles written about the dangers of Zika, none of which bothered to mention that the Olympics were taking place in winter when the risk of Zika is near zero. Or the articles about pollution in the bay featuring the same picture of garbage taken 30 miles away from where the sailing actually took place.  

11 minutes ago, gamesnz said:

What?? The US media is to blame for many articles of doomsday to take place Rio. Which is ridiculous, given the enormous amount of issues taking place in the US (Zika, contaminated water, violence). No high profile muggins/robberies took place in the Olympics and that's why nothing was reported. Why are you so thirsty for that? Can't you just accept the games were successful?  

No high profile robberies?  You must be kidding!

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/olympics/82914903/australian-olympic-rowing-coaches-robbed-at-knifepoint-as-rio-safety-fears-mount

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/2016-rio-summer-olympics/british-athlete-robbed-olympics-officials-say-n633446

http://www.people.com/people/package/article/0,,20996464_21014324,00.html

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-08-19/australian-olympic-swimmer-robbed-in-rio/7764856

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-olympics-rio-security-idUSKCN10I0SP

Yes the games have been successful however there have been high profile robberies and muggings.

3 minutes ago, lovecruisingtoo said:

Hold on. I thought you'd just said the media had been going out of their way to portray them in a positive light?

27 minutes ago, lovecruisingtoo said:

I think the US media has gone out of their way to portray Rio in a positive light (possibly because LA is bidding for the 2024 Olympics?). The media has not publicized many of the high profile muggings / robberies that have taken place.

Just now, lovecruisingtoo said:

Many of the news articles are from non-US sources.  Have you seen the "Today" show?  Nothing but positives and showing the people having fun.

Had you said the Today show was positive, yeah (or, more appropriately jeah). It's a show subtitled "How drunk is Hoda?" But the rest of the US media... lots of negative stories (many justified, many not). 

5 minutes ago, gamesnz said:

Funny, those events didn't happen during the Olympics. And when the Australians tried to use the same "robbery" argument for coming back drunk last night, they were punished!!

Nope, definitely no high profile issues.

Please go back and look at the dates of the events.

The Greek Official was robbed Aug 7 or 8.

The British athlete on Aug 17

The Australian swimmer on Aug 17th

Portugal Minister August 6.

None of these happened during the Olympics?  From what I recall, the Opening Ceremony was Aug. 5th and is still going on.

As I said, again, some of these stories were made up. Notice even the story on the GB athletes, no detail, no names, just a simple paragraph.... Seriously..  So much so the  Australian athletes making the claim were punished and not allowed to attend the closing ceremonies. Yes there were other real issues, but nothing high profile as you are claiming.

2 minutes ago, lovecruisingtoo said:

Also, in regards to the Australian swimmer, they were punished for not informing management of their plans.  Just because they were punished for not following instructions does not mean the robbery did not happen.

No the Australians arrived drunk! And they couldn't prove their story.

1 minute ago, lovecruisingtoo said:

Also, in regards to the Australian swimmer, they were punished for not informing management of their plans.  Just because they were punished for not following instructions does not mean the robbery did not happen.

The story's still a bit doubtful tough.

So tell me - no-one's ever been robbed on a night out in any previous games city eh? Were you seriously under the impression these games were happening in Switzerland?

You wanna talk about high profile issues? Where are the Zika outbreaks? Where is the rubbish in the water? Where are the millions of tourists being robbed? Where are the terrorist attacks? Dude, get over it. There have been millions of tourists in Rio over the last months, they loved it and the majority are saying they will be back. That speaks for itself.

8 minutes ago, gamesnz said:

As I said, again, some of these stories were made up. Notice even the story on the GB athletes, no detail, no names, just a simple paragraph.... Seriously..  So much so the  Australian athletes making the claim were punished and not allowed to attend the closing ceremonies. Yes there were other real issues, but nothing high profile as you are claiming.

Just one specific.  Is the Portugal Minister being robbed not high profile?????????  Or do you dismiss that report as false?

That is the problem when you say an absolute.  So easy to refute.

Statistics from research done after the World Cup are a reference, but in this case of the Olympics I'm basing on everything I've read, watched, and all my friends who are in Rio (who are American and New Zealanders). I've been to Rio 5 times, I know from personal experience. Anyway, can you prove wrong? B)

4 minutes ago, lovecruisingtoo said:

Just one specific.  Is the Portugal Minister being robbed not high profile?????????  Or do you dismiss that report as false?

That is the problem when you say an absolute.  So easy to refute.

I never dismissed that report as false. But did you know the guys who robbed him were arrested and he got all his belongings back?

I bet you didn't. 

I am not the one making the claim - you are.  So why should I prove that your claim, that you can not substantiate, is wrong?

You are now talking about World Cup statistics.  That was when the Rio economy was doing much better.  Those statistics, in my opinion, do not apply to what the opinions are of people who are visiting now.