Rio-2016 News

^Speaking of rape, do you remember the duke lacrosse rape case from ten years ago? Many people thought those three guys were guilty at first, only to find out that the "victim" LIED about the whole thing. 

Lochte & his pals could be telling the truth, but then again, they may not. Their stories are not collaborating. Lochte has tweaked his story now. The video of them returning to the Olympic village (over three hours after the alleged incident, BTW) doesn't really show any of them in any state of duress. Items they claimed were "stolen" in the incident, appeared to still be with them in the video as well.

So yeah, let's keep saying that it's the Brazilians that are of course the ones in the wrong bcuz they're "corrupt" Brazilians in the first place. Cuz no one has ever lied about a crime before. -_-

42 minutes ago, FYI said:

^Speaking of rape, do you remember the duke lacrosse rape case from ten years ago? Many people thought those three guys were guilty at first, only to find out that the "victim" LIED about the whole thing. 

Lochte & his pals could be telling the truth, but then again, they may not. Their stories are not collaborating. Lochte has tweaked his story now. The video of them returning to the Olympic village (over three hours after the alleged incident, BTW) doesn't really show any of them in any state of duress. Items they claimed were "stolen" in the incident, appeared to still be with them in the video as well.

So yeah, let's keep saying that it's the Brazilians that are of course the ones in the wrong bcuz they're "corrupt" Brazilians in the first place. Cuz no one has ever lied about a crime before. -_-

i dunno what we're even arguing about anymore, however i do believe that victims should not be automatically assumed to be lying or falsely reporting crimes, because all that does is lead to lower reporting rates for legitimate crimes.

anyway, it's all moot since it appears that lochte did indeed lie about being robbed.

1 hour ago, kraussie-kraussie-kraussie said:

i dunno what we're even arguing about anymore, however i do believe that victims should not be automatically assumed to be lying or falsely reporting crimes, because all that does is lead to lower reporting rates for legitimate crimes.

anyway, it's all moot since it appears that lochte did indeed lie about being robbed.

- and there's the problem. Given that people are capable of lying, a claim to be a victim of crime has to be treated with caution. I wonder what the penalty for lying about that is in Brazil?

2 hours ago, FYI said:

What items do they claim were stolen? All I heard that was stolen was cash. Not sure about credit cards or the items they walked in with them. What Brazilians found suspicious is they were left with their cell phones and watches and whatnot, which is not normally the case in Brazilian robberies. And Lochte even said this the first time he said it on NBC that they did not take their watches and phones.

So the swimmers not only lied to the international media causing international tension, they also vandalised a private property and were violent towards locals. Man if you defend vandals, in Simons else's country, then there's something pretty messed up with you.

I wonder how many more similar made up stories have appeared since the beginning of the Olympics. Like last night, some Australians returned drunk to the Village and tried to excuse it to their committee saying they had been robbed. They were punished and are not allowed to attend the closing ceremony. It's easy to fabricate stories when you are in a vulnerable country. Western countries love to feed on it.

I'd say well done Brazilian investigators for not allowing another foreign farse and for exposing the scandalous media. Points for you.

20 minutes ago, LatinXTC said:

What Brazilians found suspicious is they were left with their cell phones and watches and whatnot, which is not normally the case in Brazilian robberies. And Lochte even said this the first time he said it on NBC that they did not take their watches and phones.

Which that in itself seems bizarre, don't you think. What "robber" would leave such valuables behind if the main purpose to ROB someone is to take whatever valuables they can get their hands on. 

2 hours ago, kraussie-kraussie-kraussie said:

The point of the matter is that it's starting to look very likely that they made the whole thing up, simply bcuz they got wasted & don't know what the hell they did with themselves afterwards. So I don't see how it's all "moot" now simply bcuz the cat is starting to come out of the bag. As I brought up earlier, people in criminal cases lie all the time.

8 minutes ago, FYI said:

Which that in itself seems bizarre, don't you think. What "robber" would leave such valuables behind if the main purpose to ROB someone is to take whatever valuables they can get their hands on. 

Not if they saw their credentials, which Lochte did say they were left with. Before all these details emerged I believed there's a chance they were left with their watches because they got spooked that they realized they were robbing Olympians and not run of the mill tourists or locals. Maybe the robbers might have been aware that the police would have bent over backwards to try this close this case and find them out the longer they stuck around and the more they took than if they had robbed a local. But clearly that wasn't the case lol

1 minute ago, LatinXTC said:

Not if they saw their credentials, which Lochte did say they were left with. Before all these details emerged I believed there's a chance they were left with their watches because they got spooked that they realized they were robbing Olympians and not run of the mill tourists or locals. Maybe the robbers might have been aware that the police would have bent over backwards to try this close this case and find them out the longer they stuck around and the more they took than if they had robbed a local. But clearly that wasn't the case lol

Dude the athletes have already confessed the farse. There were no robbers.

the athletes were trying to cover up their vandalism.

For those of you who have not yet see this, please watch and give an opinion of what's going on.  

http://g1.globo.com/rio-de-janeiro/olimpiadas/rio2016/noticia/2016/08/video-do-posto-de-gasolina-mostra-confusao-com-nadadores-americanos.html

Not a Lochte fan and I certainly don't support drunken loutishness or vandalism, but regardless of whether that happened or not, a gun pointed by Party A towards Party B, followed subsequently by cash going in the other direction, is robbery.  

For me, the saddest part about all this is that the focus on all the great things happening on the track, fields, courts, and pools from the Olympic competitions still going on, is being shoved aside by the media in favor of the Lochte vs Rio circus sideshow.   

To me the truth is halfway between the two stories.  They stopped at a gas station to pee.  Did some damage to the restroom.  Got back in the taxi and the security guard stopped them from leaving and had them get out of the taxi.  They gave the security guard some grief and the guard pulled his gun (was confirmed by the Rio police).  Police were called but the swimmers did not want to wait around (scared with might happen).  They either offered to pay for the damages or the guard insisted that they pay for the damages before they left.  Money changes hands and the swimmers leave.  Police come and station people say everything was resolved.

Was the payment robbery or restitution for the damage that was done?  In some countries it is a well documented practice to pay and leave.  With language confusion I can see how the swimmers felt it was a "shakedown" and did not want to wait around for the police.  However,  they did have an obligation to pay for damages (assuming they did, in fact, damage the restroom).

Best solution now is to have the swimmers provide an apology to all concerned and outline the misunderstanding that happened at the gas station.  I am sure a lawyer can write up a good apology that puts everything in the best light.

Wish I could claim credit for the following, but I'm paraphrasing a post from The Guardian's comment section. 

Looks to me like an international version of someone behaving badly at a popular, but not very flash, restaurant, then yelling "cockroach!" and making a bolt for it without settling accounts. 

20 minutes ago, gamesnz said:

Now the story is turning into a racial discussion in the US

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_57b5f528e4b00d9c3a160fd2?

Not surprised at all. Seems most people have been pretty civil reacting to this incident, while everyone skewered Gabby Douglas for something so goddamn f**king stupid that mentally got to her and probably resulted in her screwing up her event final. And it reminded me how everyone reacted with Makayla Maroney when she made that disappointed face in receiving a silver medal because she screwed up her 2nd vault in the finals. Instead of the internet skewering her, they poked fun at the incident and made it a meme.

1 hour ago, lovecruisingtoo said:

To me the truth is halfway between the two stories.  They stopped at a gas station to pee.  Did some damage to the restroom.  Got back in the taxi and the security guard stopped them from leaving and had them get out of the taxi.  They gave the security guard some grief and the guard pulled his gun (was confirmed by the Rio police).  Police were called but the swimmers did not want to wait around (scared with might happen).  They either offered to pay for the damages or the guard insisted that they pay for the damages before they left.  Money changes hands and the swimmers leave.  Police come and station people say everything was resolved.

Was the payment robbery or restitution for the damage that was done?  In some countries it is a well documented practice to pay and leave.  With language confusion I can see how the swimmers felt it was a "shakedown" and did not want to wait around for the police.  However,  they did have an obligation to pay for damages (assuming they did, in fact, damage the restroom).

Best solution now is to have the swimmers provide an apology to all concerned and outline the misunderstanding that happened at the gas station.  I am sure a lawyer can write up a good apology that puts everything in the best light.

You are overlooking the whole "Lied to the police and the world saying they were robbed by thugs posing as police." Do a quick search on how many news articles were written based on that story on the dangers of Rio, and you might start to understand why the Brazilians are just a bit pissed. No, they aren't going to rot in jail or be publicly flogged, but the boys-will-be-boys justifications have to stop.