Rio-2016 News

We are talking about the chance of pollution in a bay, and you show somebody pissing on a tree. We all know that the media is overreacting, and that the bay will be fine by 2016, but we're just saying they need to clean up their bay a bit more.

Again, barrios is exhibiting the Brazilians' ULTRA-sensitivity about things that are blatantly wrong and need to be fixed. I don't know how one man's pissing in a tree compares to a polluted bay where international competitions will be held and where thousands of international visitors will be actually competing and visiting next year.....or actually even this year. Denial is a river in Rio.

Again, barrios is exhibiting the Brazilians' ULTRA-sensitivity about things that are blatantly wrong and need to be fixed. I don't know how one man's pissing in a tree compares to a polluted bay where international competitions will be held and where thousands of international visitors will be actually competing and visiting next year.....or actually even this year. Denial is a river in Rio.

Rio is the portugese word for river. They thought Guanabara bay was a river so they called it Rio de Janeiro. Obviously it must've been a lot less polluted if they thought it was a river.

Why should I ignore you? Just because I think *you* are an over-sensitive Brazilian? Believe it or not, I now Brazilians in real life who happen to have a much different mindset, thank you very much.

I was right, you would make personal judgements... And no comments about my post...

I wish I could have a better conversation with you, if you don't mind...

You guys do realize that there will be articles from now until after the games about polluted waters in Rio. If you get upset and try to artack every one, it'll be exhausting

Same can be said to the other side, right?

Bairros, please, stop...

Instead of discussing the very point of the real state of the bay (if media is exaggerating or not) you bring sensationalist media from Brazil (and be sure Brazilian media is amateur compared to British about being sensationalistic).

Focus in what is relevant to the discussion. Stupid people are everywhere in the world. This international forum is already a huge example of it (from all the countries involved in this very discussion - no exceptions), so please, stop!

You are not helping by doing this.

We are talking about the chance of pollution in a bay, and you show somebody pissing on a tree. We all know that the media is overreacting, and that the bay will be fine by 2016, but we're just saying they need to clean up their bay a bit more.

^^^that's it.

Rio MUST do all efforts to guarantee clean water for athletes. And I'm confident everything will be alright.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

The point is, the water is polluted. All types of media from everywhere can lie at times, but the fact is, the water is polluted, even the IOC said they were worried.

I will try to be very clear:

- Yes, the news I posted about the guy peeing on the tree is not would be. It is sensanalist, ironic and even funny, as most of the articles published some of you here.

- I know that many of you are serious and consistent people know and filter the content that is published.

- I still think this little note about the guys pissing on the tree is more related to the subject of the bay than widely offensive article that LatinXTC published on the Brazilian footballer. Yes it has no connection with the subject therede let alone the 2016 Olympic Games was a completely focused attitude about offending people here.

- Can someone explain to me how a news report of a Brazilian soccer player who killed people will contribute to this discussion?

- Despite being a comic note, yes it is ironic and demonstrates how athletes do not care about water quality. This is a fact. I'm sure many here will lose the arguments, and I see that some here have changed of opinion. A few days ago the media sensionalista was an illusion, now it even exists!

Article in Portuguese, but apparently the athletes were I'll because of the food? http://globoesporte.globo.com/olimpiadas/noticia/2015/08/velejadores-de-evento-teste-ficaram-doentes-com-comida-do-maracana.html

Ill*

But the water is still polluted. That's the point, the water is not up to safe standards.

But the water is still polluted. That's the point, the water is not up to safe standards.

Yes, you know it more than us who live and/or are in Rio often than you, right?

Anyway, go with whatever you want to believe. I'm confident Rio will deliver as always, despite always, media from abroad spend all their time saying otherwise before the events.

German sailor sick after competing in polluted Rio de Janeiro water

A German sailor has fallen ill and is getting daily hospital treatment for several skin infections after competing in polluted water at a test event for next year's Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.

A post on the German sailing team's Olympic blog said Erik Heil was told by the Berlin hospital treating him that he was the victim of multi-resistant germs. He's getting daily treatment with antibiotics, which are so far not working.

Heil said an inflamed area on his hip had to be scraped off, without anesthetic.

"I have never in my life had a leg infection," Heil said in the blog. "I assume that I got it from the test regatta."

Atlantic Ocean for sailors in Rio?

Olympic sailing events could be held in the Atlantic Ocean after trash in Rio de Janeiro's polluted Guanabara Bay forced organisers to switch venues for a sailing test event for the Games.

The men's and women's events in the 470 two-person dinghy last Friday had to be moved from the Bridge course because of "objects in the water", the International Sailing Federation (Isaf) said.

That has raised health fears for athletes and concerns that floating trash could disrupt events.

That happened during another test event on Saturday when two Brazilian sailors' Nacra 17 boat tipped over after their rudder snagged on a garbage bag.

Edited by paul

Brazil Economy Shrinks More Than Forecast on Tighter Money -bloombergbusiness

Gross domestic product contracted 1.9 percent in the second three months of the year from the previous quarter, the national statistics agency said in Rio de Janeiro on Friday. That was the biggest contraction in more than six years, and worse than the median estimate of a 1.7 percent fall from 41 economists surveyed by Bloomberg.

Latin America’s largest economy is suffering from multiple woes: borrowing costs at their highest since 2006, inflation at more than double the target, rising unemployment, a crumbling currency and a corruption scandal that could unseat President Dilma Rousseff. The government has also chopped investment as part of its effort to fortify fiscal accounts and avoid a sovereign downgrade to junk.

“There’s no source of growth for Brazil going forward, at least in the short term -- we see all the confidence indices moving down,” Luciano Rostagno, chief strategist at Banco Mizuho do Brasil, said by phone from Sao Paulo. “There’s no sign that the economy has found a bottom, so I think we will continue to see poor data coming.”

• Like 1

Brazil Economy Plunges in Second Quarter - wallstreetjournal

RIO DE JANEIRO—Brazil has entered its deepest economic downturn since the global financial meltdown of 2008-09, official data confirmed Friday.

For a country that once foresaw itself ascending into the ranks of the world’s five largest economies, the downturn represents a troubling setback. Per-capita incomes have been on the decline since 2014, after rising for the better part of a decade of heady government spending. Souring investor appetite for local assets has caused Brazil’s currency, the real, to lose a quarter of its value so far this year.

• Like 1

Dear Paul,

What is your point?

Really, do you get happy by doing this?

If claiming Brazil is a **** hole like you are so focused to do makes you happy, I do rest my case and I won't lose my time discussing with you.

If yes, so I won't complain anymore, since if you are happy, I am happy.

;)

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 1

DannyelBrazil not get me wrong, I know that you are free to answer what you want to whom you want and when you want, here in this forum. But you think it's really necessary to care what this guy put here? It is visible that it is an ignorant troll who is willing to create controversy with the news about Brazil and the Olympics in Rio.

If there really was a bad news from Rio or Brazil he would not need to publish four articles at once here, this thered have more posts than receive my twitter. :lol:

DannyelBrazil not get me wrong, I know that you are free to answer what you want to whom you want and when you want, here in this forum. But you think it's really necessary to care what this guy put here? It is visible that it is an ignorant troll who is willing to create controversy with the news about Brazil and the Olympics in Rio.

If there really was a bad news from Rio or Brazil he would not need to publish four articles at once here, this thered have more posts than receive my twitter. :lol:

As I said, if posting bad news about Brazil makes Paul happy, I'm happy too....

It's good to see people happy.

• Like 1

...there is another big fish die-off in rio, this time at the Jacarepagua lagoon surounding the Olympic Park.

dead-fish-1_3423676b.jpg

brazil-fish-1.jpg.hashed.d9e429c1.deskto

Thousands of fish wash ashore at Rio de Jeneiro's Olympic park

Experts say the fish most likely died because of insufficient oxygen due to pollutants and untreated human waste flowing into the lagoon from nearby condominiums and sprawling shantytowns.

Mario Moscatelli said Saturday that thousands of tilapia, sea bass and mullets started washing up Friday on the shore of Rio de Janeiro's Jacarepagua Lagoon. He said the die-off could be repeated during next year's games.

Rio official visits filthy lagoon near Olympic Park (this is from February when the top environmental official in Rio toured the lagoon and said they were starting a cleanup, which at that time was a year behind schedule)

Plying the waters in a small motorboat, biologist Mario Moscatelli guided Correa(rio environment official), pointing to flotsam and jetsam of household trash and areas where the sludge of raw sewage is so thick that during low tide, it forms islands.

bmx01.jpg

bmx04.jpg

bmx06.jpg

The Mayor of Rio Eduardo Paes presented on Sunday, the BMX cycling track, which will receive evidence of the sport during the Olympic Games Rio 2016. The track is in the Deodoro Sports Complex, home to 11 Olympic sports and four Paralympic. As well as the slalom canoeing circuit, the BMX track is part of the X Park, which will be sporting and social legacy for the region, benefiting about 1.5 million residents of the North and West areas of Rio de Janeiro and the Baixada Fluminense. With about 500,000 square meters, the X Park will be the second largest city, second only to the Flamengo Park.

Here's pics of Erik Heils leg infection from the Rio test event, one is actually a hole in his leg! Don't open if you are grossed out...it's graphic.

I see no big shame in moving all open water events farther away from the bay, it's just gross to keep insisting it's OK to go in there.

CNerGXrUsAA_6e9.jpg

Alt_9c2c17c277309c26290872cc46dd188d1.jp

_85243551_85243550.jpg

“I have never in my life had infections on the legs. Never!” Heil said on the sailing team’s Olympic blog. “I assume I picked that up at the test regatta. The cause should be the Marina da Glória where there is a constant flow of waste water from the city’s hospitals.”

“We will try to arrive relatively late to Rio in the future so that any illness appears towards the end of the regatta or even when we are back home,” Heil said in his blog. “We are also considering sailing out of the marina with plastic covers on and then wear our normal neopren shoes further out on the water.”

Here's a pretty picture if you need to clense your image of Rio.

Rio-de-Janeiro-from-Sugar-loaf.jpg