Rio-2016 News

Or a city deep in the Amazon.....the flame winding its way down to the sea.....

Sydney started its relay in the very desert centre of the country at Uluru (Ayers Rock)....

Sorry by confusion. The article says Brasília will be in fact the first city to receive the torch.

Anyway this city is in the middle of Brazil too, in a kind of the desert, the difference is our capital and have 2.5 million people.

I cant wait to see the olympic torch in the large streets of our capital!

9410723911_e75db6de44_c.jpg

Rio 2016 Olympic rings will be hung on the Golden Gate Bridge

tendncias-para-o-empreendedorismo-em-201

Just as happened in Sydney, bridge behind the Opera House, and London, Tower Bridge, the giant Olympic rings the Rio 2016 Games will hang in the Rio-Niterói Bridge - under it, in Guanabara Bay, the races will take place. Only lack finalize the details with the city.
The Sugarloaf still runs out, but environmental issues difficult - a lot - the option for this scenario.

I read another note saying they can't put the rings in the Christ cause is a religious symbol. This doesn't makes sense, Brazil did abuse of the Christ in the World Cup.

Felipe, you keep posting photos of individuals whom the readership here does NOT recognize. I mean what's the point of posting photos of people GB posters here don't know??

I dont know who they are too :lol:

Most of these people are coaches and athletes, but I do not know the names, the Rio-2016 page in Facebook dont put legend. :(

Felipe, most certainly, this thread has easily emerged as the most fascinating of all concerning the topic of Olympic preparation on Gamesbids. Any surfacing doubts emanating from news which I receive of Rio's progress are pleasantly obliterated when I do my background checking of course, as well as when I pay a much anticipated visit to this thread. You and all Brazilians must feel phenomenally proud of what you have, and indeed, SHALL accomplish at Rio 2016. Holding breath has never been so exquisitely exhilarating! Thanks, of course, to you.

Rio 2016 reveals first details of Paralympic Torch Relay as part of 500 days to Games celebrations

Event will involve all five regions of Brazil and British town Stoke Mandeville, the birthplace of the Paralympic Games

The Rio 2016 Organising Committee today (27 April) revealed the first details of the Paralympic Torch Relay, as part of the celebrations for 500 days until the Paralympic Games. The relay will take place across seven days in all five regions of Brazil, and will also feature the British town of Stoke Mandeville, the birthplace of the Paralympic Games. About 500 torchbearers will carry the flame, while the public will be invited to take part through digital media.

“We want to invite people from across Brazil and all over the planet to participate and send a little of their warmth and energy to create the Paralympic Games flame,” said Andrew Parsons, president of the Brazilian Paralympic Committee, vice-president of the International Paralympic Committee and head of the Rio 2016 Paralympic Integration Committee.

rio_2016_paralympic_games_torch_relay_lo

One city will be selected in each of the five Brazilian regions (the North, North East, Central-West, South East and South) and each city will have its own relay that will end with a mini Paralympic cauldron being lit. Meanwhile, another flame will be lit in Stoke Mandeville and then all six flames will be sent to Rio, where they will combine to form the Paralympic flame.

This will be carried around Rio over two days (6 and 7 September), ending with the lighting of the Paralympic cauldron during the opening ceremony of the Games at the Maracanã stadium.

Brazilian bank Bradesco and Japanese multi-national car maker Nissan were announced as the official sponsors of the torch relay. Together with the Rio 2016 Organising Committee, they will select the torch bearers. The Brazilian post office (known as Correios) was announced as an official supporter of the event.

From: http://www.rio2016.com/en/news/news/rio-2016-reveals-first-details-of-paralympic-torch-relay-as-part-of-500-days-to-games-cele

• Like 1

The Paralympic Relay logo features a different mountain from Rio's Landscape. This looks like Pedra da Gávea (Topsail Rock?), whose access can be quite difficult and there are many myths and conspiracies about its strange formation and supposedly phoenician inscriptions around it.

The Paralympic Relay logo features a different mountain from Rio's Landscape. This looks like Pedra da Gávea (Topsail Rock?), whose access can be quite difficult and there are many myths and conspiracies about its strange formation and supposedly phoenician inscriptions around it.

In fact the acess to Pedra da Gavea is really hard, different of the Sugar Loaf (the "draw" in the torch of the relay logo"). And the phoenician inscriptions are fake.

Rio Comitte are in Athens to decide Lighting Ceremony of the Olympic Torch

A delegation of Rio is in Athens for the first meeting on the lighting of the Torch of Rio-2016 Games. On Tuesday, at Olympia, the venue, the chairman of the organizing committee Nuzman meets with members of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), and the Greek city authorities to decide the first details of the event.

Among the decisions to be made is the torch lighting date, which occurs between 90 and 100 days the Games begin, and how many chargers take the relic in Greek territory, considered the first stage of the relay race.
By tradition, the torch is always on in the city of Olympia, the birthplace of the ancient Games, and the fire is obtained from sunlight. The forecast is that the relic on Brazilian soil pass through the hands of ten thousand drivers, 250 cities, in a percursso of about 20,000 km.
The Olympic flame will arrive in the country by Brasilia, after follow to Goiania, Victoria, will change the course to the states of the northeast region, follow the northern region, wetland, will go to Rio Grande do Sul and go up the coast to reach the riverbank.

Rio Comitte are in Athens to decide Lighting Ceremony of the Olympic Torch

A delegation of Rio is in Athens for the first meeting on the lighting of the Torch of Rio-2016 Games. On Tuesday, at Olympia, the venue, the chairman of the organizing committee Nuzman meets with members of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), and the Greek city authorities to decide the first details of the event.

Among the decisions to be made is the torch lighting date, which occurs between 90 and 100 days the Games begin, and how many chargers take the relic in Greek territory, considered the first stage of the relay race.
By tradition, the torch is always on in the city of Olympia, the birthplace of the ancient Games, and the fire is obtained from sunlight. The forecast is that the relic on Brazilian soil pass through the hands of ten thousand drivers, 250 cities, in a percursso of about 20,000 km.
The Olympic flame will arrive in the country by Brasilia, after follow to Goiania, Victoria, will change the course to the states of the northeast region, follow the northern region, wetland, will go to Rio Grande do Sul and go up the coast to reach the riverbank.

My guess about the course of the olympic torch

17118971008_71b516c5e2_b.jpg

My guess about the course of the olympic torch

Oh, YOUR guess. So, it's NOT the Official route yet. WHy do you keep doing that Felipe? It's misleading for those who would miss the little inscription: My guess about the course.

Why don't we just WAIT for the Official release from the Committee? At least give them the benefit of the doubt and not mislead readers here. It is quite irritating.

Also, it is with the Hellenic Olympic Committee that the Rio people will coordinate with. The staging of the lighting, the relay in Greece, and the turnover in Athens, is the responsibility of the HOC, and one of the things that keeps them busy when they aren't thinking about their country's finances. The IOC just gets involved in witnessing the agreement and that the Relay stays w/in the IOC's parameters.

Edited by baron-pierreIV

Oh, YOUR guess. So, it's NOT the Official route yet. WHy do you keep doing that Felipe? It's misleading for those who would miss the little inscription: My guess about the course.

Why don't we just WAIT for the Official release from the Committee? At least give them the benefit of the doubt and not mislead readers here. It is quite irritating.

Also, it is with the Hellenic Olympic Committee that the Rio people will coordinate with. The staging of the lighting, the relay in Greece, and the turnover in Athens, is the responsibility of the HOC, and one of the things that keeps them busy when they aren't thinking about their country's finances. The IOC just gets involved in witnessing the agreement and that the Relay stays w/in the IOC's parameters.

Baron, you are too lazy or you dont know read? Is not the first time i wrote things in the post and you ignored. Is really sad know some people here have same problem, anyway i just know about you.

I will try again:

MY GUESS ABOUT THE COURSE OF THE OLYMPIC TORCH

"By tradition, the torch is always on in the city of Olympia, the birthplace of the ancient Games, and the fire is obtained from sunlight. The forecast is that the relic on Brazilian soil pass through the hands of ten thousand drivers, 250 cities, in a percursso of about 20,000 km.
The Olympic flame will arrive in the country by Brasilia, after follow to Goiania, Victoria, will change the course to the states of the northeast region, follow the northern region, wetland, will go to Rio Grande do Sul and go up the coast to reach in Rio."

Still being talked about....

The first athlete to be chosen for the Great Britain team has told Sky Sports News HQ that the debris and pollution in the sailing venue at the Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games “is a problem” and that British athletes are taking all necessary precautions to avoid getting sick.

London 2012 Paralympic gold medallist Helena Lucas was named on Wednesday as the first athlete to be named in the British team for the 2016 Rio Paralympics.

She became the first British athlete to win a sailing medal since the sport was introduced to the Paralympics in 2000 with her victory nearly three years ago.

Her selection means she can now spend the next year training heavily in Guanabara Bay in Rio, where the sailing will be held in August and September 2016.

But the venue has come under heavy criticism, being called an “open sewer” by some sailors, due to the high level of pollution and debris. The Rio state government promised to reduce the flow of raw sewage flowing into the bay by 80% but has since admitted that goal is unlikely to be met.

Earlier this month 32 tonnes of dead fish were also cleared out of another Rio Games venue, where the rowing and canoeing events will take place.

Paralympic champion Lucas said: “We were out there in November and I was interested to see what would happen to me. Would I turn green or something?

"To be honest we were very very careful in terms of hygiene, taking vitamins, drinking coke when we came in, to limit exposure of what was in water and none of us got sick but it is a problem and something that we very much need to bear in mind. I did see that they were making an effort to clean up rubbish on streets, as when it rains it all washes into the harbour.”

Paralympics GB Chef de Mission Penny Briscoe said that Great Britain is trying to put pressure on the Brazilian organisers to improve the situation.

“We’ve been to Guanabara Bay to the sailing venue and it’s well documented, in terms of some of the challenges there, in terms of water quality and debris in water”, she said.

“That’s the current situation and what we are trying to do is put pressure on to ensure that it improves as it gets closer to the Games. We have the test events coming up in August and that’s a moment in time when we can really start to ask those questions and hopefully the organising committee will respond to the questions being asked.

http://www1.skysports.com/more-sports/olympics/news/18004/9828123/debris-and-pollution-a-concern-for-sailors-at-rio-olympics

CELEBRATION OF THE '500 DAYS TO GO' IN MARACANÃ STADIUM

Paralympic Games 2016

11127670_10153284249749111_1049142025046

"Susana Schnarndorf (natação), Caio Ribeiro (canoagem), Guilherme Borrajo (vôlei sentado), Gian Diniz, Moises e Bira (futebol de 7) acompanharam o mascote dos Jogos Paralímpicos, Tom, nas dependências do estádio. O evento ainda contou com a presença do presidente do CPB, Andrew Parsons." according to the CPB (but not necessarily in the right order).

FWIW, I think Tom is probably 4th from left.

• Like 1

Athletics and swimming jump up rankings for most sought-after Rio 2016 Olympic Games tickets among Brazilians

Volleyball and football remain in the top two positions, while beach volleyball also moves up one place

Athletics and swimming – two of the most traditional Olympic sports – have jumped up the rankings for the most-sought after Rio 2016 Olympic Games tickets among Brazilians. In a reflection of the local sporting culture, volleyball and football remain the most requested tickets, but swimming and athletics have jumped up to third and fifth place, respectively. Figures released by the Rio 2016 Organising Committee on Tuesday (28 April) showed that, in comparison to the numbers from 7 April (one week after sales to residents of Brazil opened), swimming had jumped up two places from fifth, leapfrogging basketball and artistic gymnastics. Meanwhile, athletics rose one place in the rankings from sixth, now sitting one place above sixth-placed artistic gymnastics and just behind fourth-placed basketball (see the full rankings below).

Beach volleyball, another popular sport in Brazil, jumped up once place to seventh, overtaking tennis. Judo and handball, which also have relatively high numbers of participants in Brazil, remain in the last two places of the top 10.

Brazilian residents have until 30 April to apply for tickets in the first of two draws, with only those who enter the first draw eligible for the second one. Overseas fans should contact the authorised ticket reseller (ATR) for their territory. To find out who is the ATR in your region, visit www.rio2016.com/spectators.

This webpage also features the ATR website checker – a window into which the public can copy the web address of any company offering Rio 2016 Olympic Games tickets, and then be told immediately if the company is an officially authorised reseller.

You can see and download the full Olympic Games competition schedule by clicking here and download the Ticketing Guide here, which has all the details of the ticket sales process.

Most sought-after sports among Brazilian residents applying for Rio 2016 Olympic Games tickets:

1. Volleyball

2. Football

3. Swimming

4. Basketball

5. Athletics

6. Artistic gymnastics

7. Beach volleyball

8. Tennis

9. Judo

10. Handball

Ranking by state: (Just in Portuguese Page)

Rio de Janeiro (State of the Host City)

São Paulo

Minas Gerais

Distrito Federal

Paraná

Rio Grande do Sul

Bahia (Will host the matches of soccer)

Amazonas (Will host the matches of soccer)

Santa Catarina

Espírito Santo

Source: Rio-2016.

Still being talked about....

The first athlete to be chosen for the Great Britain team has told Sky Sports News HQ that the debris and pollution in the sailing venue at the Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games “is a problem” and that British athletes are taking all necessary precautions to avoid getting sick.

London 2012 Paralympic gold medallist Helena Lucas was named on Wednesday as the first athlete to be named in the British team for the 2016 Rio Paralympics.

She became the first British athlete to win a sailing medal since the sport was introduced to the Paralympics in 2000 with her victory nearly three years ago.

Her selection means she can now spend the next year training heavily in Guanabara Bay in Rio, where the sailing will be held in August and September 2016.

But the venue has come under heavy criticism, being called an “open sewer” by some sailors, due to the high level of pollution and debris. The Rio state government promised to reduce the flow of raw sewage flowing into the bay by 80% but has since admitted that goal is unlikely to be met.

Earlier this month 32 tonnes of dead fish were also cleared out of another Rio Games venue, where the rowing and canoeing events will take place.

Paralympic champion Lucas said: “We were out there in November and I was interested to see what would happen to me. Would I turn green or something?

"To be honest we were very very careful in terms of hygiene, taking vitamins, drinking coke when we came in, to limit exposure of what was in water and none of us got sick but it is a problem and something that we very much need to bear in mind. I did see that they were making an effort to clean up rubbish on streets, as when it rains it all washes into the harbour.”

Paralympics GB Chef de Mission Penny Briscoe said that Great Britain is trying to put pressure on the Brazilian organisers to improve the situation.

“We’ve been to Guanabara Bay to the sailing venue and it’s well documented, in terms of some of the challenges there, in terms of water quality and debris in water”, she said.

“That’s the current situation and what we are trying to do is put pressure on to ensure that it improves as it gets closer to the Games. We have the test events coming up in August and that’s a moment in time when we can really start to ask those questions and hopefully the organising committee will respond to the questions being asked.

http://www1.skysports.com/more-sports/olympics/news/18004/9828123/debris-and-pollution-a-concern-for-sailors-at-rio-olympics

Rob,

PDBG (Portuguese acronym to Guanabara Bay's Cleaning Program - or problem\o/) should have been approached in correct terms by both Rio Organizing Committee and the IOC. Carioca team should accept the truth, that it is simply impossible to clean the bay for the Games. IOC should have understood the obvious. IOC should have understood what is behind mayor Paes’ speech, since the very beginning. Paes is not a sportsman, he is a politician. When he says the bay will be ready, he is not lying. He really believes in what he is saying. However, it seems he means there will be less pollution and cleaner water; no floating garbage, not no bacteria in the water. More than that, PDBG is beyond his authority: he is Rio's mayor but Rio is not the only one municipality surrounding the bay

I once posted here a comment about PDBG. I think it was last year. However, I was not the only one to do so. For many times, I read posts of Brazilian guys (Dan and others) saying almost the same I said at that time.

PDBG is a very comprehensive, many-sided program and it is much more complicated than one can imagine. To understand it, please go to www.cedae.com.br/pdgb (no English version available). There you'll find more explanation. The question is, Why have the IOC not demanded a B Plan? An existing B Plan should be required, at least just in case of a failure, an accident or something unpredictable.

Guanabara Bay will not be ready for the Games. However, competitions may take place at its entrance, in the oceanic region where the water is clean and good for sailing. The more inside the bay, more visible and microscopic pollution one will find.

The other issue is Rodrigo de Freitas Lagoon, which will serve for rowing and canoeing. Last month, after a heavy storm weather, 65 tons of fish died there. The probable causes, according to biologist Mario Moscatelli, were: 1:sewage in large quantities; 2: organic waste brought by the heavy rain and 3: a weather phenomenon that divides the water into different layers; the deepest one with less oxygen; the ideal level of oxygen is found in the layer closer to the surface (see http://oglobo.globo.com/rio/mortandade-de-peixes-na-lagoa-rodrigo-de-freitas-chega-65-toneladas-7837117). If compared to the Bay, those are not real problems: it is necessary to treat the neighbourhood sewage and the garbage brought by the rain before they reach the lagoon, and keep the ideal level of oxygen, by monitoring the channels that link the lagoon to the sea. I really don not know why it is not happening yet.

"Last day of ticket sales for Rio-2016 has 35 000 requests per hour

On the last day of registration for the lottery ticket sales for the Rio 2016 Games, the event's official website recorded over 35,000 requests per hour -about ten tickets per second.

According to the Organizing Committee of the Games, despite the increase in the number of hits in the last 48 hours, there was no fault log in the system to date."

"Rio-2016 extending ticket sales until Wednesday, Day 6

The Rio 2016 organizing committee decided to extend until next Wednesday, May 6, the deadline for the fans make the ticket purchase orders for the Rio Games in time to participate in the first draw to be held in June. Initially, the term would end at midnight Thursday (30th)."

• Like 1