Rio-2016 News

HAHAHA! :lol: The News of the Apocalypse will be back as soon as the WC hangover passes. It will be a long 2015.

Actually, already started. There is a blog in G1 news website called "foreigner vision" with tons of links and posts from International Media...

The "World Cup hangover" is now the new "Will Brazil be ready?"... Anyway...

VIctor, perfect signature!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Olympics: Coe confident 2016 Rio Games will be success

(Reuters) - Sebastian Coe, the man who helped mastermind the London 2012 Olympics, says Rio de Janeiro will undoubtedly face challenges in the leadup to the 2016 Games but is convinced the event will be a success.

The Brazilian city is hosting the first Games on the South American continent but has come in for criticism for its progress, with International Olympic Committee (IOC) vice president John Coates saying in April that preparations were the worst he had seen and critically behind schedule.

"I think they are doing okay," Coe told Reuters in an interview on Tuesday. "We work incredibly closely and they will deliver a very good Games."

"I know the organising committee really well. No two cities that have delivered and then gone on to deliver a Games have been closer, no two chairmen in organising committees have been closer, no two mayors.

"(London mayor) Boris Johnson and Eduardo Paes in Rio are extremely close. There is a rare week where there isn't a British delegation in Rio in one form or another," added Coe who is now chairman of the British Olympic Association and vice-president of the IAAF, the ruling body of athletics.

As with soccer's 2014 World Cup in Brazil, there have been major delays in developing infrastructure and poor communication between the Government and organisers.

Coe said it was unrealistic to expect everything to run smoothly but with up to 80 staff from the now-defunct London organising committee working in Rio, there were plenty of experienced people on the ground.

"It doesn't really matter where you deliver an Olympic Games, whether it's in Rio, Sydney, London ... it is the biggest thing any city undertakes," he added.

"Nobody should be sitting here as a Monday night quarterback thinking that this is easy, it isn't. It challenges a city like nothing else ever challenges a city," said Coe.

"Everything is critical, you're bringing partnerships and people together for an extraordinary cause but don't ever underestimate how hard this is."

Reuters

I think he's probably right, but let's not forget he also predicted the US would finish third in the medal table at London and that was obviously quite untrue.

IOC reviewing ticketing process for Rio 2016 after FIFA World Cup scandal

A review of the ticketing process for the Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games has been launched to try to ensure there is no repeat of the scandal seen at the FIFA World Cup, International Olympic Committee (IOC) President Thomas Bach has revealed.

It comes as a Brazilian police investigation into problems during the World Cup continues following the arrest of Match Hospitality chief executive Ray Whelan, a leading figure in the company overseeing FIFA's hospitality programme in Brazil, earlier this week.

Raids have also been staged by police in both Rio de Janeiro and Sao Paulo, leading to 11 arrests of figures supposedly linked to the scam as well as the seizure of World Cup tickets, foreign currency, passports and mobile phones.

It is likely that this prompted the IOC to include the question of tickets on the final day of their Executive Board meeting here today, with changes to the existing approach now to be considered following a visit to Rio by IOC Executive Director Gilbert Felli this week.

"We have asked Mr Felli to coordinate with the Organising Committee and the legal and public authorities in Brazil," Bach explained.

"He will check whether we need any adaptations to our regulations according to the national legislation in Brazil.

"We are waiting for this report then we will take the necessary decisions if any are needed."

full article

What is so ridiculous is that these "hospitality" venders are just scalpers that give kickbacks to the IOC/FIFA. Which makes what they do totally OK. But when the scalp outside the system, then they are bad guys that need to be stopped.

As long as the IOC/FIFA work through these hospitality venders and ATR, all their talk of anti-scalping is just them trying to protect their own turf.

Bach: Hey Seppy, how're things going?

Sepp: Great, thanks Tom, I'm raking it in. You?

Bach: Yeah, yeah, I'm alright too. Bit miffed that we might be going to a western democracy soon, but hopefully the Chinese can sort that with some envelopes in the right places.

Sepp: Tell me, what's that Vlad bloke like to work with? I'll be dealing with him a fair bit soon.

Bach: Putin? Yeah, he's great. He will do everything you ask. Psst

Woops - didn't post right

Bach: Hey Seppy, how're things going?

Sepp: Great, thanks Tom, I'm raking it in. You?

Bach: Yeah, yeah, I'm alright too. Bit miffed that we might be going to a western democracy soon, but hopefully the Chinese can sort that with some envelopes in the right places.

Sepp: Tell me, what's that Vlad bloke like to work with? I'll be dealing with him a fair bit soon.

Bach: Putin? Yeah, he's great. He will do everything you ask.

Sepp: Tom, your lot have got experience - how can we avoid the need to deal with democracies & ordinary people again, without making it seem obvious? These people they call 'taxpayers' have been really getting up my goat, but I think the Qatar operation may have foiled the whole plan with the backlash & all. Got any advice for old Seppy?

Bach: Well, don't tell anyone, but we're starting work on an IOC-run colony somewhere that we'll own & run ourselves! Then all we have to do is hold every event there from now till the end of time, & we can do what we like! We can charge what we like, spend what we like, & we'll never need to deal with those pesky democracies ever again! What fun!

Sepp: Where do you propose putting that?

Bach: Well, lots of places are possible - Russia is favourite right now but we might be tempted away - Qatar, Dubai, Azerbaijan, China. Anything's possible if the price is right.

Sepp: Well that sounds like a great plan. One more thing - there's this guy called Michel who seems to want my job. Do you have any experience or advice on dealing with backstabbers?

Bach: I wouldn't worry - I've met him too. You're one & the same really.

Sepp: Better go - those damn voters are revolting again outside.

Bach: At least you won't have that in Qatar!

/joke :P

Olympic Committee president says Brazil can feel proud by hosting the World Cup.
Bach said he was 'confident' that the country will have 'excellent' Olympic games.
After meeting with President Dilma, he said that the country will combine 'passion and efficiency'.
After meeting with President Dilma Rousseff, the president of the International Olympic Committee, Thomas Bach said on Friday (11) that Brazil can feel proud of the organization of the World Cup. The sports leader also said he was confident that the 2016 Olympic Games to be held in Rio de Janeiro, will be excellent.
"We had a great meeting with President Dilma Rousseff, who gave us the opportunity to congratulate Brazil for the exceptional result of the World Cup. Brazil can feel proud of the organization of the tournament, "said Bach to the end of the audience with the president.
The head of the IOC emphasized to reporters that the sports authority is confident in the success of the Olympic Games in Rio
Asked if the delays in construction of the Olympic Park can bring concern, Bach said there was progress in the works since he made the last inspection two months ago.
"We are confident that in two years we will have excellent Olympic Games in Brazil, in Rio de Janeiro, because we see the great progress that has been made since my visit two months ago," he added.
Bach told reporters that he visited the works of the Olympic Village on Thursday (10). The president of the Olympic committee classified as "fantastic" the structure that is being assembled to welcome athletes from around the world who will compete in the event.
"There [in the Olympic Village] will have athletes from different nations living under the same roof. This village is fantastic. Athletes will be thrilled with this village that offers proximity to the Olympic Park. We are confident in infrastructure and construction," he emphasized.

;)

• Like 1

Consider the source.

I can post the very same press conference news from an Anglo-saxon language news website.

Will this change something?

From olympic.org...

same interview from Bach

http://m.olympic.org/mobile/news/-olympic-games-first-priority-from-monday-says-brazilian-president-rousseff/235123

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 1

I can post the very same press conference news from an Anglo-saxon language news website.

Will this change something?

No. The reporting entity is irrelevant.

The source is the IOC. They're doing major PR damage control right now. They commissioned a study that claimed most people see the economic value of hosting Olympic Games despite the mass exodus of qualified bidders. I hope everything turns out great in Rio. However, I certainly am not going to believe anything the IOC says about how marvelously prepared the Brazilians suddenly are. They're just trying to stop the bad press.

• Like 1

No. The reporting entity is irrelevant.

The source is the IOC. They're doing major PR damage control right now. They commissioned a study that claimed most people see the economic value of hosting Olympic Games despite the mass exodus of qualified bidders. I hope everything turns out great in Rio. However, I certainly am not going to believe anything the IOC says about how marvelously prepared the Brazilians suddenly are. They're just trying to stop the bad press.

I think it's the opposite, right?

Suddenly the preparations in Rio were the worse ever for like... 3 days?

The rest of the post I understand and agree.

Less cities are interested on the games.

They need to put emphasis on how great is to host Olympic games...

I think it's the opposite, right?

Suddenly the preparations in Rio were the worse ever for like... 3 days?

The rest of the post I understand and agree.

Less cities are interested on the games.

They need to put emphasis on how great is to host Olympic games...

So when you like what they're saying they must be telling the truth? Hmmmm.

I just don't trust anything the IOC says right now on any subject -- particularly if they're presenting themselves in a favorable light.

• Like 1

So when you like what they're saying they must be telling the truth? Hmmmm.

It's pretty the same with you, but about bad news, Athensfan...

No matter how many thousand pictures shows works in Rio, Rio will be always a crap for you...

Edited by DannyelBrazil

It's pretty the same with you, but about bad news, Athensfan...

No matter how many thousand pictures shows works in Rio, Rio will be always a crap for you...

That's untrue. Just because you're upset about the World Cup is no reason to lash out at me.

I do not think Rio is crap at all. I think it's a fascinating and beautiful city that is pretty far behind in its Olympic preparations. It's a matter of public record which projects are lagging behind schedule, pollution of the bay, lack of promised improvements in the favelas, etc.

That's untrue. Just because you're upset about the World Cup is no reason to lash out at me.

This have nothing to do with World Cup, despite you called me "mental unbalanced" because I was expecting Brazil to lose again... <_<

I do not think Rio is crap at all. I think it's a fascinating and beautiful city that is pretty far behind in its Olympic preparations. It's a matter of public record which projects are lagging behind schedule, pollution of the bay, lack of promised improvements in the favelas, etc.

Project lagging behind schedule doesn't mean the games will be terrible, Athensfan. You are an Athens-fan!

About bay pollution, I'll not discuss this with you. The bay is polluted, more in the North, less in the South. I'm from Rio, I don't need to discuss with somebody living thousands of miles away from Rio about the bay I see so often.

About improvements in favelas, you should check Infra-structure and Venue improvements thread before even mention it...

BTW, Rio never promised to improve a single favela for the Olympics (despite being improving dozens of them). I'm not sure why you bring this subject here...

Next week, after a deserved break of GamesBids, I'll post dozens of pics of Telhado Social or Lift in Favelas programmes... Just in case.

See ya next week, Athensfan!

Enjoy your week! It's summer in California, go get some breeze.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Why must Favelas be improved? Can anyone tell me?

Sure the quality of living there is not good, but that is not the reason.

"It is for the safety of our guests" is what they say.

I always felt safe during my time in Rio, but I never walked around for fun in Favelas.

There are places in every big city in Germany too, where I wouldn´t walk at night.

That is not a Brazil or Rio problem. You´ll find those places all over the world.

• Like 1

Why must Favelas be improved? Can anyone tell me?

Sure the quality of living there is not good, but that is not the reason.

"It is for the safety of our guests" is what they say.

I always felt safe during my time in Rio, but I never walked around for fun in Favelas.

There are places in every big city in Germany too, where I wouldn´t walk at night.

That is not a Brazil or Rio problem. You´ll find those places all over the world.

Maybe a comment from someone abroad makes Athensfan understand some points. SInce he thinks all I say is under nationalistic blind love.

See you guys later!