Rio-2016 News

More buses mean less cars...or that's how the theory goes.

Yes, theory.

But we have lots of buses, lots of taxis, lots of cars... And Rio managed to be TOP 10 about worse traffic jams in the planet...

Yes, theory.

But we have lots of buses, lots of taxis, lots of cars... And Rio managed to be TOP 10 about worse traffic jams in the planet...

Just like most other mega cities out there.

Why is there no subway from the Rio Airport

Mocking American lack of public transportation?

BRT is a high capacity transportation solution and it links Airport to Subway lines.

Actually, the first name of BRT in Curitiba was "metrorização" or "subwayzation" of bus service.

The BRT link between Airport and subway line 2 have been receiving postivie reviews from locals and tourists.

As mentioned...too expensive in such a economically disjointed city. Rio really does want want one though. Why the Bus is king is an amazing history of...er...foreign economic funding for development. Brazil did have railways that carried commuters but just like, for example, America, the huge automobile corporations that dominated brought up all the networks and replaced them with buses especially after the right wing junta was put in power by Esinhower and his CIA cronies. -

Damn You Oliver Stone! And you A History of America documentry series!

Edited by #rescue Our Girls NOW!

Good news then but we'll have to see what it can do under pressure

Trust me the pressure is already on. The city demand is enormous and this BRT line is 55km long...

If the people want buses, then I say give them buses. If they want something to brag about whilst bragging about the World Cup, then I say give 'em buses. If they want a cheaper, but also effective transportation system, then I say give them buses. If they want visitors to experience the home of BRT via the BRT, then I say give 'em buses. A subway isn't currently necessary if the legacy involves a heavy amount of BRT lines to connect within the cities, at least that's what I think...

Brazil World Cup...

Enhancing legacy

and national pride

(that's how I imagine it, especially with the BRTs)

If the people want buses, then I say give them buses.

People in Brazil want subway, but they get BRTs because they are cost-effective and easy-fast to implement.

Not to forget Rio is building a 17 km subway line for the Olympic Games linking Ipanema and Barra da Tijuca.

PS: Beijing used BRT in large scale during 2008 Olympics, and nobody complained about.

I thought Beijing already had a really extensive subway network. The BRT was used to alleviate stress on the already crammed subways.

Yes, they used both, but some places had access only by BRT. You can imagine Brazilian press made a report about how amazing was to an Olympic Host to use a BRT...

This week, the World Cup starts in Brazil and probably we will have no news from Rio 2016 in the next month.

All the luck Rio, be graceful and shine in this tournament!

13741780535_6711769f30_b.jpg

This week, the World Cup starts in Brazil and probably we will have no news from Rio 2016 in the next month.

Oh Danny. Don't be so sure. Just about everything that happens in Brazil over the next month will be interpreted in the light of 2016.

Oh Danny. Don't be so sure. Just about everything that happens in Brazil over the next month will be interpreted in the light of 2016.

You're right, but at the first phase, I think there are so many teams playing and so many host cities that people will forget there will be Olympic in Brazil in 2 years.

In July, for sure, reports like "Rio showed Brazil still have work to do to be ready for Olympics" will pop in the international media.

You know the drill, Danny. Since 2009 the Games media has been on the alert for any airport or bus or traffic delay or incident, any tourists who get mugged, any confrontations in the favelas, any slip-up anywhere. That's going to be an order of magnitude more so during the Cup.

On the good side, I expect the sports action, the spirit on the streets and support of the locals will get plenty of good coverage too. And if you're going to have any stuff-ups and glitches, better now than in 2 year's time.

Edited by Sir Rols

• 3 weeks later...
The first athletes have booked their places at the Rio 2016 Games! Three sittting volleyball teams – the Bosnia and Herzegovina men's side and the China and USA women's teams – confirmed their qualification on Friday (20 June) by winning their semi-final matches at the world championships in Elblag, Poland.
Iran's men claimed the fourth Rio 2016 spot up for grabs in Poland by wining the bronze medal match against Egypt on Saturday (June 21). Brazil had defeated Iran in their semi-final on Friday, but as the host nation are already guaranteed a place at the Rio Games, it went down to the battle for third place at the world championships.
It was the first qualifying event for the first Olympic and Paralympic Games to be held in South America. Throughout 2014, athletes from at least 10 Olympic sports and 12 Paralympic sports will earn qualification spots for the greatest sporting event on the planet.
In the men's semi-finals, Bosnia and Herzegovina, the gold medal winners at the London 2012 Paralympic Games, overcame Egypt in straight sets (25-11, 25-23, 25-23), before Brazil produced a shock by beating defending world champions Iran 3-2 (25-19, 25-20, 18-25, 15-25, 15-12).
In the women's tournament, reigning Paralympic and world champions China were forced to work hard to beat Russia in five sets (25-12, 25-16, 16-25, 20-25, 15-11) in their semi-final. USA, the London silver medallists, assured their qualification by overcoming the Netherlands 3-0 (26-24, 25-15, 25-13).
“The competition in Rio will be really top,” said USA's Nichole Millage after the match. “All teams play from their heart and show their best and it will be really good competition. I'm excited.”
In Saturday's finals, Bosnia and Herzegovina beat Brazil (25-22, 20-25, 25-7, 28-26) to become men's world champions, while China held on to the women's world title by defeating USA in a fifth-set tie-break (23-25, 25-22, 19-25, 25-21, 17-15).
Goalball will be the next sport in which teams confirm their qualification for the Rio 2016 Games. The top three men's and women's teams at the world championships, that will take place between 26 June and 6 July, in Espoo, Finalnd, will be on their way to Rio for the Paralympic Games.

Olympics: Coe confident 2016 Rio Games will be success

(Reuters) - Sebastian Coe, the man who helped mastermind the London 2012 Olympics, says Rio de Janeiro will undoubtedly face challenges in the leadup to the 2016 Games but is convinced the event will be a success.

The Brazilian city is hosting the first Games on the South American continent but has come in for criticism for its progress, with International Olympic Committee (IOC) vice president John Coates saying in April that preparations were the worst he had seen and critically behind schedule.

"I think they are doing okay," Coe told Reuters in an interview on Tuesday. "We work incredibly closely and they will deliver a very good Games."

"I know the organising committee really well. No two cities that have delivered and then gone on to deliver a Games have been closer, no two chairmen in organising committees have been closer, no two mayors.

"(London mayor) Boris Johnson and Eduardo Paes in Rio are extremely close. There is a rare week where there isn't a British delegation in Rio in one form or another," added Coe who is now chairman of the British Olympic Association and vice-president of the IAAF, the ruling body of athletics.

As with soccer's 2014 World Cup in Brazil, there have been major delays in developing infrastructure and poor communication between the Government and organisers.

Coe said it was unrealistic to expect everything to run smoothly but with up to 80 staff from the now-defunct London organising committee working in Rio, there were plenty of experienced people on the ground.

"It doesn't really matter where you deliver an Olympic Games, whether it's in Rio, Sydney, London ... it is the biggest thing any city undertakes," he added.

"Nobody should be sitting here as a Monday night quarterback thinking that this is easy, it isn't. It challenges a city like nothing else ever challenges a city," said Coe.

"Everything is critical, you're bringing partnerships and people together for an extraordinary cause but don't ever underestimate how hard this is."

Reuters

• Like 1

:) These games were always going to be popular...Sometimes we just need to cut some slack where needed. Brazil is an emerging power and a stable force in the South American region. No two hostings are the same, so to compare Rio with London is when London was compared to Beijing...we all thought that was unfare. Well done Lord Coe for the reassurance! Rio will be successful...The knockers hate that.

• Like 1