Rio-2016 News

Bach in Rio
The president of the International Olympic Committee (IOC), Thomas Bach, come to Rio to attend the final of the World Cup on July 13, as a guest of FIFA. But first, he will lead the Executive Committee meeting of the entity, on days 7, 8 and 9 July in Lausanne.
At the end of the meeting, Bach sail for Brazil with President of the Organising Committee of the Olympic and Paralympic Games Rio 2016, Carlos Arthur Nuzman. A Brazilian delegation will be in Switzerland because they need to make a presentation on the progress of the organization of the Games to the IOC Executive Committee.
Speaking of presentation, the Rio 2016 Committee held a Friday for the National Olympic Committee of Europe (EOC) during the 35th session of the entity, held in Cyprus.
The EOC brings together 49 National Olympic Committee and its chairman is the Irish Patrick Hickey, who was already widely spoken here in the blog, because of polemic statements about Rio 2016.
Edited by Danny El Tico

Video footage of the Golf Course works, with all the grass for Hole 8 planted.

http://globotv.globo.com/rede-globo/bom-dia-rio/v/comeca-o-plantio-da-grama-no-campo-de-golf-para-os-jogos-olimpicos-de-2016/3359635/

From "Good Morning Rio" newscast

I find it quite annoying, that protesters use Sporting Events to get their point across. The Tibet Protesters done it and because of them, we don't have an International Torch Relay. It's true though, that there will always be some sort of protest about something, no matter where the Torch goes. Whether it's Government protests, Environmentalists or just trouble makers.

Those who are being protested against also use these sporting events to get *their* point across.

• Like 2

Those who are being protested against also use these sporting events to get *their* point across.

The relay will always be used as a protest point, as much as the IOC hate it.

• Like 1

The relay will always be used as a protest point, as much as the IOC hate it.

I have to say I don't remember any here in the UK. The only protests I really remember were those about DOW, but I don't think they used the torch relay to make their point.

This kind of event will always bring the spotlight to any kind of protests.

Just right now, several cities in Brazil have bus drivers strikes, they want to use the spotlight of the World Cup and the fear of a chaos in transportation to get their demands listened.

This kind of event will always bring the spotlight to any kind of protests.

Just right now, several cities in Brazil have bus drivers strikes, they want to use the spotlight of the World Cup and the fear of a chaos in transportation to get their demands listened.

It's a great event for bringing grievances to the fore...London taxi drivers gave it a go, but that was nothing compared to others.

Then again you get blatant shtt stirrers from most unlikely places such as Mormon Moron presidential candidate Mit Romney and his slur about London's security and unpreparedness on the eve of the games when he visited. I can guarantee the next American presidential candidates when they visit will say something stupid as always.

They are coming back.

The Santa Teresa tranvia system was entirely refurbshed after an accident in 2010 and will be running next year.

bonde-de-santa-teresa-13.jpg

bonde-de-santa-teresa.jpg

Love the trams, always popular!
  • Like 1

The road to get Rio ready for the Olympic can be a little bumpy, but at the end, imagine the breathtaking images Olympics in Rio will have...

Well, you guys can have a taste, by seeing the presentation video of FIFA for the World Cup matches broadcasts in the city.

Worth a view.

Auckland needs one of these systems in lieu of a light rail line.

This is what hngs off an Olympic bid these days, Rapid transportation and a flash airport.

This BRT line will cross Rio from Southwest to Northeast and will be very important to the city and for the Olympic since it will link International Airport to Barra Cluster.

And it's a work opened 2 years before the games.

Always enjoy mass people mover networks...they only do good. Interesting that Brazil has a fascinating enthusiasm for large buses when prehaps a rail link would be better. But then buses are just as good at moving people around.

Always enjoy mass people mover networks...they only do good. Interesting that Brazil has a fascinating enthusiasm for large buses when prehaps a rail link would be better. But then buses are just as good at moving people around.

Actually, we don't.

Brazilians loves underground subways systems, but, they are expensive, takes decades to get done and since Brazilian cities are massive, always cause a lot of justice stuff because of evictions...

BRTs were invented in Brazil (so, there is something about national pride), also they are cheap, fast to introduce and the result are similar in terms of capacity.

I don't like BRT's. They don't provide the same excitement/experience/capacity when compared to LRT or other rail systems, IMO.

LRTs are something really new in Brazil.

At this very moment, we have only system operating in Cariri region, Ceará state.

Santos (where I live) and Cuiaba will start operation of their LRTs (here called VLTs) next year.

Rio de Janeiro will have a huge LRT system by 2016 inside Downtown with 5 lines and finally linking the domestic Airport to main Subway lines.

Edited by Danny El Tico
  • Like 1

LRT of Juazeiro do Norte (Cariri Region, Ceará)

ESTA%25C3%2587%25C3%2583O%2BFERROVIARIA%

First LRT vehicle arrived in Santos last week (this picture was taken really near from my house)

Santos' first 4 vehicles will be assembled in Spain, the rest in Rio de Janeiro plant of TTrans

trem23.jpg

Cuiabá's LRT (Assembled in Spain by Vossloch)

vlt-passa-por-testes-no-centro-de-manute

Rio de Janeiro LRT (the presentation of the model, to be assembled by Alstom in Sao Paulo state, Brazil)

vlt.jpg

They all look much more modern and new than the trains/buses/stations that I have near me ^.^

And to correct my previous post: I don't hate BRTs, they just don't appeal to me very much, but if it's a national pride thing then I say go right ahead! The Brazilians sure have been more productive with their transit system. All LA has are some local/private buses to connect LAX/ONT to the closest Metro station. The buses in other countries make the BRT system look look like LRT trains without the tracks, unlike the buses in my area (which may be a contributing factor in the unappealingness of BRTs to me).

• Like 2

They all look much more modern and new than the trains/buses/stations that I have near me ^.^

And to correct my previous post: I don't hate BRTs, they just don't appeal to me very much, but if it's a national pride thing then I say go right ahead! The Brazilians sure have been more productive with their transit system. All LA has are some local/private buses to connect LAX/ONT to the closest Metro station. The buses in other countries make the BRT system look look like LRT trains without the tracks, unlike the buses in my area (which may be a contributing factor in the unappealingness of BRTs to me).

Most of them are yet to be opened, so, they look modern now. Hope it can look new for some time.

About BRTs, they are a good solution for Brazil, I never been to LA (It's on my wishlist) and I don't know if BRTs would work there with all those highways and car-life the city have.

USA is a country where individual transportation is still the king. I know this is changing slowly and maybe BRTs can be a cheap-fast solution for middle cities in the USA. Big cities like LA have money and demand to put more underground metros (since those systems are by far more interesting than BRTs).

About buses, at least in Orlando and Miami, I saw some really beautiful and modern ones. I don't know how is it in LA...

In Rio, they look like this:

Regular Lines

maio-2013-ss-caio-mondego.jpg

BRTs

IMG_4157_zpsaf8ba0a1.jpg

BRT Stations

DSC00868.JPG

transoeste+ligeir%25C3%25A3o+brt+rio+de+

About buses, at least in Orlando and Miami, I saw some really beautiful and modern ones. I don't know how is it in LA...

In Rio, they look like this:

Regular Lines

maio-2013-ss-caio-mondego.jpg

BRTs

IMG_4157_zpsaf8ba0a1.jpgBRT Stations

DSC00868.JPG

transoeste+ligeir%C3%A3o+brt+rio+de+jane

Clearly this network is designed to take a future LRT. But we are here and now. We have a Busway on the North Shore in Auckland, once, if it ever happens, the tunnels under the habour are built, a LRT will be built on it.

Clearly this network is designed to take a future LRT. But we are here and now. We have a Busway on the North Shore in Auckland, once, if it ever happens, the tunnels under the habour are built, a LRT will be built on it.

The BRTs in Rio are not supposed to became a LRT at anytime. And, even if there were plans about it the height of station platforms are not suitable for this. New stations would be required.

About Auckland, I'm sure NZL might already have nice transportation systems.

Edited by Danny El Tico
  • Like 1

About Auckland, I'm sure NZL might already have nice transportation systems.

Unfortunately, like Rio, for years the car ruled and even then on not so great roadways. Auckland had only started after years of delays, a full intergrated transport system. Auckland has only just got it's suburban rail system electrified. Wellington leads in this with an excellent, for NZ, rapid transit system. Motorways are still being built, to because the car is king, but because they are long overdue.

NZ has 4.5 million people but 6 million motor vehicles.