Rio-2016 News

Especially for its debut. The IOC looks at tickets sold when evaluating sports as well so the rugby board does have a right to be concerned. 3,000 would be the lowest capacity venue I can recall for any recent Olympics. However wasn't rugby supposed to be at the athletics venue?

I read somewhere that the final match will be hosted in the Athletics venue.

The "smallest stadium ever" (I'm sure it's not) will probably host group stage matches.

Despite I also think 3,000 is too low, they are predicting no more than international 300,000 tourists in Rio... A 7,000 to 10,000 seats stadium for rugby is alright.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

I read somewhere that the final match will be hosted in the Athletics venue.

The "smallest stadium ever" (I'm sure it's not) will probably host group stage matches.

Despite I also think 3,000 is too low, they are predicting no more than international 300,000 tourists in Rio... A 7,000 to 10,000 seats stadium for rugby is alright.

I doubt it - the matches are short and sweet and flow on one after the other (in the usual format). I would assume the whole thing gets done in two days - first day with pool matches and the second with all the knock-outs, semis and final, one after the other.

I doubt it - the matches are short and sweet and flow on one after the other (in the usual format). I would assume the whole thing gets done in two days - first day with pool matches and the second with all the knock-outs, semis and final, one after the other.

I have no idea about Rugby tournaments as you may imagine... :)

Rio Mayor says no sports 'mausoleum' like Beijing

He mocked China's spending on the Beijing Olympics and the white elephants it left behind, notably the award-winning National Stadium nicknamed the Bird's Nest.

"I'm not going to build an eagle, an eagle's nest," Paes said. "What's that thing called? Fish nest? Fish, eagle? Bird's Nest. We're not going to build a Bird's Nest in Rio de Janeiro. If you go to Beijing today, the Bird's Nest has become a mausoleum to honor wasted public money. We are not going to do this here."

This is sad. One can only assume he's trying to deflect attention from Rio's problems by slinging mud at Beijing. It won't solve anything and it's embarrassingly transparent.

It's going to be difficult to replicate London 2012 anti-doping operation in Rio, warns World Anti-Doping Agency President. Full story here - http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2016/1019564-it-s-going-to-be-difficult-to-replicate-london-2012-anti-doping-operation-in-rio-warns-wada-president - Source: Inside the Games.

This is sad. One can only assume he's trying to deflect attention from Rio's problems by slinging mud at Beijing. It won't solve anything and it's embarrassingly transparent.

Yes and no.

As you might be reading here there are members claiming the stadia in Rio must be "better" and more "breathtaking" than London and Beijing. And, for me, this is really not important.

No matter how spetacular Bird Nest is, I'd rather our "football temple" over it. Not to mention the landscape of Rio will be more attractive than any venue.

This is one thing.

The other thing is: yes, our politicians are morons. No news on it.

It's going to be difficult to replicate London 2012 anti-doping operation in Rio, warns World Anti-Doping Agency President. Full story here - http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2016/1019564-it-s-going-to-be-difficult-to-replicate-london-2012-anti-doping-operation-in-rio-warns-wada-president - Source: Inside the Games.

Tony, okay, we already understand, London 2012 will be the best games ever to you...

Oh come on Danny mate, shooting the messenger wasn't the right response and you know it. :rolleyes:

This is a story with quotes from the head of WADA comparing Brazil's anti-doping plans directly with the last Summer Games'.

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 1

Danny, we just cleared the air, I only posted that because it's news. I'm not going to lie, as someone who loves Architecture, Rio's designs did really disappoint me. Of course, with the Maracana, I understand that requirements were tight, because of the history, but the others, like the brand new Aquatics Centre, is a bit basic. Although, I do like the design of the 4 Indoor Halls connected under 1 roof. I just gave my opinion from an Architectural perspective, hence why my name is Tony E Loves Architecture. Everyone's going to be bias, I'm going to say London 2012 was the best, you will probably say Rio 2016 is the best, Rob, Davey, Yoshi and Ripley would also probably say London 2012 was the best. Palette would probably say Tokyo 2020 will be the best. Like Rob said in other words, I posted that because it's a news article, I weren't trying to preach my opinion, I just posted news.

In all fairness, Reedie says Rio COULD get it together on time, but at present they're not on pace to do so.

I thought his comment about buildings vs. equipment and most importantly people was telling. It's not just about construction. They need a capable, well-trained team of operatives and that seems to be lacking as well -- at least when it comes to drug testing. That's not something you can throw together overnight.

Oh come on Danny mate, shooting the messenger wasn't the right response and you know it. :rolleyes:

This is a story with quotes from the head of WADA comparing Brazil's anti-doping plans directly with the last Summer Games'.

Not arguing against WADA... But why the bold letters on "London 2012"?

you will probably say Rio 2016 is the best,

Never claimed that here, nor I'm intended to, indeed, because I know our possibilities.

Rio can be the best Olympics about things like landscapes, breathtaking footage for TV and maybe festive atmosphere and that's all.

__

Yes, I know all the bad things about WADA lab in Rio. Last time I checked news about it, the buildings for new Rio lab were in final works. I tried to get more info and I couldn't.

And I know the accreditation for a WADA lab could take more than year...

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Despite all the 'problems' Rio is facing, I'm still excited for the games. Their Mayor is right, China spent too much and produced nothing positive.

I wish I could be excited about both World Cup and Olympic Games.

And trust me, Brazilians are getting all my patience more than forumers here.

Brazilians started a streedog complex in a so severe way that lately it had been impossible to find one people I can talk about the World Cup without listening things like "Brazil is a shithole", "If it was in Japan, all the stadiums would be ready 3 years in advance", "In Europe, everybody travels seated in the subway", "Our politicians stole a lot of money with the World Cup meanwhile our health system is a ****"....

I do regret so much Brazil had won the right to host both events. Maybe meanwhile it was only a dream, I was happier...

Insted of have fun with the events and the party that probably will happen, all I had is a sad feeling about all of this.

My World Cup experience is already ruined, and the Olympics are in the same way.

:(

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Not arguing against WADA... But why the bold letters on "London 2012"?

Seriously?!

I wish I could be excited about both World Cup and Olympic Games.

And trust me, Brazilians are getting all my patience more than forumers here.

Brazilians started a streedog complex in a so severe way that lately it had been impossible to find one people I can talk about the World Cup without listening things like "Brazil is a shithole", "If it was in Japan, all the stadiums would be ready 3 years in advance", "In Europe, everybody travels seated in the subway", "Our politicians stole a lot of money with the World Cup meanwhile our health system is a ****"....

I do regret so much Brazil had won the right to host both events. Maybe meanwhile it was only a dream, I was happier...

Insted of have fun with the events and the party that probably will happen, all I had is a sad feeling about all of this.

My World Cup experience is already ruined, and the Olympics are in the same way.

Happens with every Olympics, every World Cup. You won't feel this way during the World Cup or during the Olympics and you won't feel that way afterwards either :)

You always get people who would prefer to live in a country full of hospitals and nothing else; they're called killjoys, ignore them. And I'm sorry, but some of your friends have never travelled on the Northern Line in London have they? Tokyo should get its stadiums ready faster than Rio, but we both know RIo has had some problems in this regard. And you've been the first to say that despite the delays Rio will be amazing. So just go with your gut on that one.

Edited by Rob.
  • Like 3

Danny, we just cleared the air, I only posted that because it's news. I'm not going to lie, as someone who loves Architecture, Rio's designs did really disappoint me. Of course, with the Maracana, I understand that requirements were tight, because of the history, but the others, like the brand new Aquatics Centre, is a bit basic. Although, I do like the design of the 4 Indoor Halls connected under 1 roof. I just gave my opinion from an Architectural perspective, hence why my name is Tony E Loves Architecture. Everyone's going to be bias, I'm going to say London 2012 was the best, you will probably say Rio 2016 is the best, Rob, Davey, Yoshi and Ripley would also probably say London 2012 was the best. Palette would probably say Tokyo 2020 will be the best. Like Rob said in other words, I posted that because it's a news article, I weren't trying to preach my opinion, I just posted news.

No Tony, you're just close minded.

• Like 1

Seriously?!

Happens with every Olympics, every World Cup. You won't feel this way during the World Cup or during the Olympics and you won't feel that way afterwards either :)

You always get people who would prefer to live in a country full of hospitals and nothing else; they're called killjoys, ignore them. And I'm sorry, but some of your friends have never travelled on the Northern Line in London have they? Tokyo should get its stadiums ready faster than Rio, but we both know RIo has had some problems in this regard. And you've been the first to say that despite the delays Rio will be amazing. So just go with your gut on that one.

You are right, I'm just on a real bad mood this week.

• 3 weeks later...

Rio may fail to be the best games ever, but for sure Rio will achieve some better things than London in certains aspects. Maybe few, maybe more.

Just get used to the idea if (probably) Rio does not surpass London in 2016 as best the games ever, Tokyo will in 2020.

Edited by DannyelBrazil