Rio-2016 News

Catra, you're too ironic for my taste, but I agree with you, at least Baron made it explicit he had no idea about what he was talking about when casting opinions about Brazilian stuff.

Mr. Coates and IOC wants the Brazilian ad market spotlight for Rio 2016 now. This will not happen. Not in Brazil, nor in Italy or Spain...

About ratings, World Cup and Olympics attract similar audiences in open-air TV, if you consider average ratings of all events, not only matches of Brazilian team in WC/Brazilian athletes in Olympics.

Brazilian broadcasters paied alone USD 600 million to IOC only to have the right to boradcast the games of 2014-2016 what IOC wants more?

We are the 4th biggest market for IOC being a "so-troubled country"........

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Truly laughable. Read your own posts.

Did I offend you? If yes quote here...

You were one of the nice posters here, what happened to you?

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Did I offend you? If yes quote here...

You were one of the nice posters here, what happened to you?

You have not offended me, but you have attributed things to me that I did not say.

I understand that you are passionate and excited about Rio 2016 and I sincerely hope the Games are a great success.

Let's try to leave some space to discuss the whole picture though and not just the most flattering or optimistic viewpoints.

- Subway Line 4... IOC is totally right on asking Rio authorities a plan B for the link between South Zone and Barra (where residents does not call themselves "Barristas").

- TransOlímpica Highway. The road between Olympic Park and Deodoro area. The schedule is getting tight and the works started only 2 months ago.

- Downtown Light Rail. The tender is delayed. And Rio City Hall says 5 lines must be ready in 2016. I truly doubt.

- Protests. Yes, I don't see it as a problem at all. In Brazil, constitution grants every citizen the right to express its opinion, indeed, with crowded protests in the streets (the law says it with all words).
But, small groups like Brazilian Black Bloc are focused on bring a violent way to show their message. And the more the media talk about them, more they are encouraged to continue their stupid rioting.

- Maracana outside area. A lot of discussion about what to do with old facilities of Celio de Barros athletic path and Julio Delamare Aquatic Park. Specially what to do with the ruins of Museum of Indigenous People - a very polemic issue...

That worries me.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Never heard about him, is him very famous in Hollywood? That's great having a Brazilian actor doing well in the fantasy land, although it does not please me. . Is he truly Brazilian or half-brazilian? Thx for posting.

ps: I wanted to make a funny remark about the way he looks on the videos screens but I'd be misunderstood.

Never heard about him, is him very famous in Hollywood? That's great having a Brazilian actor doing well in the fantasy land, although it does not please me. . Is he truly Brazilian or half-brazilian? Thx for posting.

ps: I wanted to make a funny remark about the way he looks on the videos screens but I'd be misunderstood.

He's apparently a big deal in Brazil. He was in the Elite Squad movies. Elysium was his first English language movie and his first Hollywood movie.

He's apparently a big deal in Brazil. He was in the Elite Squad movies. Elysium was his first English language movie and his first Hollywood movie.

Both are very well-known in Brazil, Moura is considered one of out top actors for domestic market. Catra wanted to be sarcastic again.

The movie was released this week in Brazil and I was watching a TV programme about it. It seems to be a nice sci-fi. Critics here are saying it's not like District 9 (the previous movie from this director).

From Skyscrapercity Threads

Rio 2016 venues at September 17th 2013:

Under works:
- Golf venue

- Olympic Park

- Olympic and Paralympic Village (Ilha Pura district)

- Riocentro Halls
- Engenhão/João Havelange Stadium new roof
- Media and Referees Village (Porto Vida)

Already finished:

- Athletes Park

- Sambadrome

Already existent and no works needed:
- HSBC Arena (Arena da Barra)
- Modern Pentathlon Aquatic Center.
- National Shooting Center at Deodoro
- National Equestrian Center
- Marina of Glória.
- Maria Lenk Aquatic Center

- Maracanã Stadium
- Maracanãzinho Gymnasium
- Sambodrome

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 1

I heard someone said that the Maracanazinho wouldn't be able to host Y (don't remember) games because there wont be changes in Maracana's surroundings anymore. Is that correct?

Not confirmed yet. So far, the plan A is still Maracanazinho.

The deal is about a school to be demolished just by side of Maracanazinho. Governor Cabral said the school will not be demolished anymore.

The space would be used to build warm-up courts.

According to Lance Newspaper, Rio 2016 Committee already found a solution but still to be announced.

And the velodrome of PanAms will be rebuilt in Pinhais, state of Paraná.

After the new Rio 2016 velodrome be ready, Brazil will have now two velodromes able to train athletes of cycling: one in Rio, other in Paraná.

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 1

The IOC virtually ruled out the idea of ​​removing slalom competitions from Deodoro Complex and take them to Foz do Iguaçu. The message was clear: we would do this only if the international federation agreed. And the organization is against the change.

Near that. It's a wonderful location. Jaw dropping style!

It'd be ideal for the sport but the oldfarts that runs those federations are idiots. I'll be cheering against that sport in the next IOC election. Costs a lot, nobodies watches, and the venue wont have a viable economic use afterwards. Aka a waste of money. (at least for most cities).

Rock in Rio is back!!!
rock-in-rio-logo-570x570.jpg

Just watching Metallica live on TV, what a show, what a venue, what a HUUUGEEEEEEEE stage!

And I'm not a huge fan of metal rock. But must admit, that guys are amazing on a stage. What a sound.

8b22717ca5f5d315f90e6a7067000844.jpg_0_1

Rio, YES, is the rock city (not only about the big rocks around the city :P ).
The biggest rock concert ever (Rolling Stones in Copacabana - 2 million attendance), the biggest rock concert in a stadium (Kiss in Maracana with 380,000 attendance) and the biggest rock'n roll festival of the planet (Guiness Book).

Video footage of 2013 Rock in Rio!

The "City of Rock" will be the Athletes Park during Rio 2016 games.

What a show I'm watching now on live TV.

Bruce Springsteen!!! Hey, the old Boss is the man!

The best Rock In Rio show so far, IMO.

He singing "Sociedade Alternativa" worths the ticket!

Also must be said.... Metallica's show was great!

Brazil’s President Nominates Army Officer to Lead Olympic Body

President Dilma Rousseff nominated a senior army officer to fill one of the top roles in organizing the 2016 summer Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

Major General Fernando Azevedo e Silva’s appointment to head the Olympic Public Authority, which coordinates the work of state and local governments, has gone to Brazil’s senate to be ratified, the nation’s official gazette said.

Rio’s faltering Olympic program was hurt in August when the former head of the authority, ex-cities minister Marcio Fortes, quit amid claims the organization was being sidelined. The appointment of a new head for the body, known as the APO, is among several issues faced by organizers of South America’s first Olympic Games.

Last week Brazil’s national auditor raised concerns about the possibility of delays when it reported that just 5.5 percent of the 1.67 billion reais ($752 million) estimated to be spent on the games between 2010 and 2012 had actually been used.

International Olympic Committee inspectors visited Rio at the end of August and left telling organizers they were worried about progress on some of the planned projects. Brazil, which also hosts next year’s soccer World Cup, said it would spend $11.6 billion on Olympic-related infrastructure and about $3 billion on the event itself, according to its 2009 bid.

Azevedo e Silva has been chairman of the Military Sports Commission of Brazil since 2012. His role at the APO will be to ensure that work is rolled out efficiently.

Roles and Duties

Rio Mayor Eduardo Paes has said the games could be carried out without the APO, a body created by Rousseff following an IOC request. Defining responsibilities has proved to be a challenge and delayed the publication of an up-to-date budget for the games.

“The conclusion of the negotiations regarding the matrix of responsibility, a vital element in confirming the roles and duties of each of our partners, must be completed before the disclosure of the budget,” games organizer Rio 2016 said in a statement last week.

bloomberg