Rio-2016 News

What's the usual transport for tourists from Rio to Iguazu? 700km is a bit far to want to try it via coach, I'd imagine. It seems like a bit more than a day trip.

Airplane (2 hours) or Bus (1.460 Km/17 hours)

Then again, if you guys could get a high speed rail line built ......

B)

Probably that region of Paraná state wouldn't have stations since is a low-density region.

Hey, this is Athensfan call, not yours!!! hahaha

Or maybe Argentina might kindly offer to host it on their side of the border!

:ph34r:

hahahahaha, if you go to Iguazu Falls, plase, please, please, visit the Argentine side of border!!!

You'll be amazed on how they can't! It's the poorest part of Argentina.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

The actual venue is about 40km away from the falls.

The whole region is very beautiful. If the venue is near of Itaipu Dam, it would be as special as near Iguazu Falls.

The biggest Hydroelectric plant in the planet about Energy production and 2nd in size.

itaipu01.jpg

Entirely built by Brazilians and Paraguayans... in the 70s!!!

The tri-border area of Foz do Iguaçu is a nice place to visit. The falls, the dam, the pitoresque Argentine town of Puerto Iguazu, the "China Shop" city of Ciudad del Este in Paraguay and Foz do Iguaçu itself, a planned city in the Brazilian side of the border.

BTW, in Puerto Iguazu I ate one of the best meats of my life in the La Rueda restaurant. Pretty special.

B)

Just wondering how many kilometers of High Speed Rail you guys have in Australia...

Quite honestly, I don't think high speed rail makes sense for countries like Oz, the US and Brazil, with large distances and less population density than the likes of Europe or japan.

Bingo!

I couldn't agree more with you

The other point is, the venue might be a bit distant, but I'd bet most of the accommodation would be closer to the falls.

Probably, since the main hotels are located in BR 469 highway along Iguaçu National Park

The thing is that I like about the plan as well is that, in conversations I've had with a few people here who are considering going to Rio, we'd already thought we'd go to less events, and spend a bit more time seeing the city and country.

Smart choice, indeed, I strong recommend to you guys to go to Foz do Iguaçu area.

Quite honestly, I don't think high speed rail makes sense for countries like Oz, the US and Brazil, with large distances and less population density than the likes of Europe or japan.

This is so simple and so logical but the government wants things that can be marketed to the ignorant people, nothing more.

50km of subway lines in both cities would help millions of people on daily basis but no, lets build a high speed railroad.

What's the usual transport for tourists from Rio to Iguazu? 700km is a bit far to want to try it via coach, I'd imagine. It seems like a bit more than a day trip.

B)

U'll have to take an airplane then, its the safest way to get there and it wont be expensive if u buy the tickets with two-month advance.

And be sure to visit both sides of the fall ( Brazilian and Argentine one) . The views from the Brazilian side are stunning and more impressive than the Argentine side, but across the border u'll be able to have a better feeling of the falls, feel more the natural aspects of it.

B)

U'll have to take an airplane then, its the safest way to get there and it wont be expensive if u buy the tickets with two-month advance.

And be sure to visit both sides of the fall ( Brazilian and Argentine one) . The views from the Brazilian side are stunning and more impressive than the Argentine side, but across the border u'll be able to have a better feeling of the falls, feel more the natural aspects of it.

hahahahaha, if you go to Iguazu Falls, plase, please, please, visit the Argentine side of border!!!
You'll be amazed on how they can't! It's the poorest part of Argentin

You'll be amazed on how they can't! It's the poorest part of Argentina.

Actually Puerto Iguazu is not that poor, is just much, much smaller than Foz do Iguaçu and not that interesting as a city as result. But its worth it to visit both sides of the fall, they offer different perspectives.

Missiones is one of the poorest provinces of Argentina, if not the most one. That's a fact, not a wish from me.

And BTW, Ibirapuera, did you putted in your ass the fireworks you bought for Rio's loss 4 years ago?

I hope so. Sad you didn't burned.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Rio 2016 makes presentation and faces questioning from IOC members

Demonstrations, communication failure and unpreparedness of the taxi drivers are the points raised by members of the organization, during a meeting in Buenos Aires

The Committee chief of Rio 2016 Carlos Nuzman, made ​​a brief presentation to members of the International Olympic Committee on the progress made last year in the preparation of the Games. The news related to the transport area gained prominence as the inauguration of the first BRT line and the evolution of the works on subway line 4. The concern with the legacy, especially in education, was also remembered.

Anticipating a possible questioning about the recent exclusion of Anti-doping Lab, Nuzman ensured that Rio will have a laboratory able to carry out doping tests in 2016. The director of sports Agberto Guimarães, showed the division of competition places and their respective facilities, and also said six sports (water polo, diving, road biking, canoeing, walking and athletic volleyball) still need some final adjustments.
In the closing of the briefing, the President of the IOC Coordination Commission for the 2016 Games, Nawal el-Moutawakel, gave a brief overview of the assessment last week, when the group made ​​the fifth inspection visit to the city.

After the presentation, members of the Rio Organizing Committee received some criticism and questioning three IOC members.
The poor external communication, the chance of new manifestations that could somehow messing up the competition and the lack of preparation of taxi drivers in Rio were the issues addressed. The organizers explained that a new direction of communication was implemented recently, highlighted that is a democratic right to Brazilians to manifest whenever and wherever they want and ensured that the vast majority of taxi drivers are under training to provide a quality service.

- I was very pleased with the presentation and questions. They demonstrated the confidence and knowledge. The first question was a matter of external communication. This (external communication) will now develop. The second was about something that happened during the Pan American Games, a question about taxi, which I think has nothing to do with the whole thing. Sometimes few colleagues like to have some minutes of fame. And another member asked a question that I expected. Was a representative of Syria. I did not answer what I would like to answer, but being polite, I said that Brazil is a democracy, people are free - Nuzman explained.

http://globoesporte.globo.com/olimpiadas/noticia/2013/09/rio-2016-faz-apresentacao-e-enfrenta-questionamentos-de-membros-do-coi.html

governo_do_rio_divulga_nova_foto_do_proj

Stupid questions of IOC members. Rio faces a lot of challenges. Subway Line 4, Airport refurbshment and few venues to be still set would have been better questions...

Olympic marketing head warns of sponsor shortfall-CNBC

-The IOC's marketing head on Monday warned that organizers for the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Games are facing tough conditions trying to sell local sponsorships for South America's first Olympics.

-Speaking Monday before the International Olympic Committee's general assembly in Buenos Aires, Norway's Gerhard Heiberg said companies are less willing to invest in sponsorships because of Brazil's slowing economy.

-Rio officials have acknowledged that next year's World Cup in Brazil has cut into the potential pool of sponsors. Inflation and the loss of value in the local currency in terms of dollars also hurt.

-Heiberg's assessment came a day after Carlos Nuzman, the head of the organizing committee and president of the Brazilian Olympic Committee, was sharply questioned by IOC members about organizational delays.

Olympic marketing head warns of sponsor shortfall-CNBC

-The IOC's marketing head on Monday warned that organizers for the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Games are facing tough conditions trying to sell local sponsorships for South America's first Olympics.

-Speaking Monday before the International Olympic Committee's general assembly in Buenos Aires, Norway's Gerhard Heiberg said companies are less willing to invest in sponsorships because of Brazil's slowing economy.

-Rio officials have acknowledged that next year's World Cup in Brazil has cut into the potential pool of sponsors. Inflation and the loss of value in the local currency in terms of dollars also hurt.

-Heiberg's assessment came a day after Carlos Nuzman, the head of the organizing committee and president of the Brazilian Olympic Committee, was sharply questioned by IOC members about organizational delays.

Weird... The master and local sponsorships are already dealed (cars, oil, IT). What kind of sponsorships are they talking?

Weird... The master and local sponsorships are already dealed (cars, oil, IT). What kind of sponsorships are they talking?

It sounds like it's not an issue of numbers, much less categories, of sponsors. The problem is the total of financial resources committed, which apparently is not sufficient, due largely to the fact that many companies chose to back the World Cup instead. When the IOC chose Rio, they knew they were choosing a smaller market and they knew there was a chance they could end up playing second fiddle to the World Cup. They should be prepared for these developments and should not be surprised.

It sounds like it's not an issue of numbers, much less categories, of sponsors. The problem is the total of financial resources committed, which apparently is not sufficient, due largely to the fact that many companies chose to back the World Cup instead. When the IOC chose Rio, they knew they were choosing a smaller market and they knew there was a chance they could end up playing second fiddle to the World Cup. They should be prepared for these developments and should not be surprised.

A year ago, somebody posted here that the sponsoring of Rio 2016 was a sucess...

I read about many sponsorships confirmed and indeed, enormous amount of money. Suddenly everything changed?

About resources committed, almost all companies who are sponsors of the World Cup are exactly the concorrents of Rio 2016 sponsors...

World Cup: Oi Telecom vs. Olympics: Embratel/Telmex

World Cup: Hyundai/Kia vs. Olympics: Nissan

World Cup: Itau Bank vs. Olympics: Bradesco Bank

just as example...

It does not make sense...

Is there any more deep information on the issue?

Edited by DannyelBrazil

A year ago, somebody posted here that the sponsoring of Rio 2016 was a sucess...

I read about many sponsorships confirmed and indeed, enormous amount of money. Suddenly everything changed?

Yep.

The OCOG budget has increased by the sounds of things, so in order to plug the gap and prevent any more public money going towards the Games, Rio has upped its sponsorship target substantially and are struggling to meet this revised target.

You're absolutely right that they met their original target very quickly and successfully, but the new target is proving more of a challenge....and if it's not met, more public money will be needed...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-23/slim-leading-olympics-sponsors-as-vale-balks-corporate-brazil.html

Edited by RobH
  • Like 1

Now, I understand. Thanx Rob

I wouldn't be so worried about public money, for this kind of expenses our polticians provide an endless arch of gold coins...

That's why people portests in part

Yep.

The OCOG budget has increased by the sounds of things, so in order to plug the gap and prevent any more public money going towards the Games, Rio has upped its sponsorship target substantially and are struggling to meet this revised target.

You're absolutely right that they met their original target very quickly and successfully, but the new target is proving more of a challenge....and if it's not met, more public money will be needed...

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-23/slim-leading-olympics-sponsors-as-vale-balks-corporate-brazil.html

Sounds like Olympics as usual.

Well, everyone made a fuss about Athens prior to 2004 and the games turned out beautifully. I went to a whole slew of venues, and none of them still had scaffolding up. In fact, they were all quite impressive. I hope that Rio can deliver at least as well as Athens did. It is scary to hear Coates say that Rio is in even worse shape.

• Like 1

Most companies are focusing on the World Cup right now. After all, historically, football always attract more TV audience in Brazil than any Olympic events and big media conglomerates are tossing it everywhere.

I believe Rio Games will be a success of tickets sales (as was the PanAms on 2007) but won´t have nearly the same impact on Tv audiences as the World Cup