Rio-2016 News

Are you slow, Mr. Athensfan? Haven't you read the previous few pages? I was just criticizing everything about the Olympic edition in Brazil.OTOH, mentioning high-speed trains is simply stupid, forgive me.

You have plenty of arguments to criticize Rio2016, just pick a better one.

Btw, as I said few pages back: I'm sure they'll find a lot of problems and will criticize a shitload of things but the lack of a High Speed Train connecting a 400km far apart city WONT BE ONE.

How rude. My response was to Danny, not you.

If you follow your own advice and read this thread, you'll see I offered a list of disappointing developments and the train was only one of them. It just happened to be the one Danny focused on. It does contribute to the overall impression.

It just happened to be the one Danny focused on. It does contribute to the overall impression.

No, I didn't focused in the train. You did. I always said the train have nothing to do with the Olympics. You insisted on it.

The rest of your post, it's up to you and Catra.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

2362204197_d87fda0b2c_b.jpg

I urge you guys to watch the movie "Reaching for the Moon" (In Brazil "Flores Raras").
It's the love history of the American poet Elizabeth Bishop (Miranda Otto from Lord of the Rings) with Lota de Macedo Soares (Brazilian TV star Gloria Pires), the archtect who idealized the Flamengo Park in Rio, during the 60s.
The movie is one of the best Brazilian movies ever made and it's almost entirely in English.
Apart the Lesbian love triangle between Bishop, Lota and an American friend of Bishop, the movie also captures the Brazil of the 50s and 60s and of couse, the history of this amazing park in Rio (venue of cycling and part of Marathon in 2016), just near Sugar Loaf and just by the side of Guanabara Bay (venue for sailing in 2016).

And, Athensfan, you can maybe understand a bit on how public works are done in Brazil and also a bit of Brazilian mindset from the perspective of an American here.

The scene when Bishop is terrified with the coup d'etat meanwhile Brazilians are playing soccer in the beach just ignoring the politcal moment or the speech she made in Guanabara Palace just after the military dictatorship is set (it's not the scene in the trailer), IMO, was a nice portrait of Brazil and how you guys see this crazy country.

The trailer:

The critics in Europe and North America were nice and some are with high stakes about this movie for the Oscars... Who knows? Edited by DannyelBrazil

Rio 2016 working to deliver lasting legacy

02/09/2013
Wrapping-up its fifth visit to Rio de Janeiro, the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) Coordination Commission, underlined the strong progress being made to deliver a lasting legacy from the 2016 Games. With less than three years remaining until the Games begin, the Organising Committee and its Government partners were able to show the Commission that legacy planning and its delivery were well underway.

Solid progress was also made in a number of other areas such as venue modelling, test event preparation, accommodation, sustainability, spectator experience, and marketing, among others.

The FIFA Confederations Cup and the World Youth Day have both allowed Rio 2016 and its partners to check their planning assumptions and to learn important lessons from these events. However, the large amount of work still to be completed across the entire project means that timelines still remain very tight and Rio must continue to focus on its top priorities, such as completing the matrix of responsibilities and delivering the venues and associated infrastructures.

Speaking at the end of the meeting, IOC Coordination Commission Chair Nawal El Moutawakel commented, “Twenty-nine weeks after our last Commission visit to Rio de Janeiro, we’ve been able to see progress in a number of areas and a good understanding from the organisers and their government partners about the areas that they need to prioritise.” She continued, “However, when we award the Games to a city, our work is not just to look at the preparations for the Games themselves but also to look at their legacy and to help the city and country to maximise the benefits of being an Olympic host. We have been impressed by the commitment of the Rio 2016 team to ensure that legacy is at the heart of everything they do and whether it is developing transport infrastructure, building an education programme, or leaving a sporting heritage to the city, Rio 2016 is making sure that nothing is left to chance.”

The strong support of the local authorities for the Games was once again evident during the Commission’s visit, as all three levels of government – Federal, State, and City – were represented at the very highest levels. This participation helped to support the discussions around the Games legacy, as it was made clear that the legacy of the Olympics and Paralympics was aligned with the legacy needs of the city, state, and country.

Recent events in Brazil have also underlined the importance of having a strong legacy from events like the Games and the authorities are ensuring that they are used to help deliver what their citizens are requesting. In areas as varied as transportation, education, medical, procurement, spectrum management, accessibility, and venue construction, the partnership between the IOC, Rio 2016 and the local authorities is paying benefits not just for the period of the Games but beyond and for generations to come.

Some examples of this legacy include:

• 4 new Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) lines and a new metro line
• 800,000 students across Brazil have access to increased sports activities
• Rio 2016 has partnered with industry associations to help small businesses supply goods and services to the Games
• Expansion of the Rio pacification programme
• Revitalization of the Rio Port area
• Reforestation of areas earmarked for venue construction

The President of the Rio 2016 Organising Committee, Carlos Arthur Nuzman, commented: “We thank the Coordination Commission for their continuous support and guidance. We understand the complexity of the task ahead of us. By working together with the three levels of government, we are confident that we will deliver unforgettable Games.”

During the two days of meetings, the Commission also received updates on preparations in areas such as athletes and National Olympic Committees services; sport and International Federations services; the Paralympic Games; media services; venues and infrastructure; Games operations; marketing; engagement; and technology.
The Commission will return to Rio de Janeiro next year in March for its sixth visit. This will be the first visit after Rio becomes the next host city in line following the close of the Sochi 2014 Olympic Winter Games.

IOC

Just watched the report from TV Globo about the visit of IOC Evaluation Commission and...

http://globotv.globo.com/rede-globo/jornal-nacional/t/edicoes/v/coi-divulga-balanco-da-5a-vistoria-no-rio-para-os-jogos-olimpicos-de-2016/2798450/

Nawal said Rio is doing fine, the team is committed with the games, never the legacy was taken in count as in Rio...

The yellow light: IOC is worried that no works started for Deodoro cluster, and Rio need to start works as soon as possible.

The biggest concern: Subway Line 4 (Guys, listen more and trust in those who live here instead of making posts about you guys does not know properly).

IOC wants a Plan B if the subway line 4 does not get complete in time for the games.

Olympic Park works: OK.

Havelange stadium: OK.

"There is no risky for the games in Rio so far" - Nawal.

About Rio's Laboratory, Nawal said she's ok about guarantees Ladetec will be fine again in the next 6 months.

Next visit will be in March 2014.

PS: IOC is not worried at all about protests, and in fact, Nawal said in the interview to Globo reporter that IOC and the Rio2016 committee must connect the message of the Olympic with the protesters.

PS: "We had delays in every single host before. We need to make pressure to have everything done in time." Nawal.

No, I didn't focused in the train. You did. I always said the train have nothing to do with the Olympics. You insisted on it.

The rest of your post, it's up to you and Catra.

That's not true at all. The train was just on the list. I never said it was specifically for the Olympics.

Let alone "insisted" on it!

I believe that Rio will find a way to make it work, but I also believe that some of these problems were foreseeable for a riskier host.

Consider:

Havelange disgrace.

Structural problems with athletics stadium.

Olympic park well behind schedule.

The abandoned rail project.

Several World Cup venues still quite behind.

Protests.

The executive who recently resigned.

Now the closure of the drug lab.

And the High Speed Train is not abandoned, nor is part of Olympic Games.

These are the facts.

The rest is your opinion.

And C'mon, there is something new to discuss here, the evaluation visit... Leave the High Speed Rail discussion for the Skyscrapercity threads.

Top priority of Rio 2016 committee: To get back the credentials for Rio's Anti-Doping Laboratory
http://www.estadao.com.br/noticias/esportes,presidente-da-autoridade-brasileira-de-controle-de-dopagem-aposta-no-recredenciamento-do-ladetec,1068867,0.htm

The new building for Ladetec (replacing the old from 1989 Copa America facility), that's is fully in accordance with WADA requirements, are under works and is expected to be opened in April 2014, two years before the games, a tight calendar to acquire new credentials for WADA, since Rio did not asked a review on the revoke of WADA credentials and rather to start a new credentials in a fast track procudure.
The reason for the revoke was bureaucracy to get the money to import chemical material. Ladetec failed in 3 WADA tests due lack of these chemical stuff.

Since January the problem with imports and the chemical material was solved, but it was too late.
The size of the old 1989 building is considered not adequate, that's why a new building are under works and more employees will be hired.

Bureaucracy. Always putting Brazil down.

PS: According to the report, Buenos Aires still has no Laboratory for Anti-Doping and they will host YOGs soon...

Edited by DannyelBrazil

And the High Speed Train is not abandoned, nor is part of Olympic Games.

These are the facts.

The rest is your opinion.

And C'mon, there is something new to discuss here, the evaluation visit... Leave the High Speed Rail discussion for the Skyscrapercity threads.

Nor did I "choose to focus on it" it or "insist" it was for the Olympic Games. Most of the WC stadia are not "for the Games" either, yet the slow pace of several is still a concern because (and this I did emphasize) it goes to creating an OVERALL IMPRESSION. It's the same with the train.

It is a "disappointing development", is it not? It was originally discussed as supporting Olympic plans, though the Games were not the reason for the idea. Absolutely no work is happening of any kind and no work has happened for years and nothing is scheduled, yet you say the project is not abandoned.

And you think my claim has no merit when I say you are defensive! It's really a bit funny.

Nor did I "choose to focus on it" it or "insist" it was for the Olympic Games. Most of the WC stadia are not "for the Games" either, yet the slow pace of several is still a concern because (and this I did emphasize) it goes to creating an OVERALL IMPRESSION. It's the same with the train.

It is a "disappointing development", is it not? It was originally discussed as supporting Olympic plans, though the Games were not the reason for the idea. Absolutely no work is happening of any kind and no work has happened for years and nothing is scheduled, yet you say the project is not abandoned.

And you think my claim has no merit when I say you are defensive! It's really a bit funny.

No slow pace of stadia, all on schedule. Confederations Cup was a success.

No abandoned high speed rail project since there is a date for next tender and peoplei involved working on the project.

No defensiveness, since I agree with most of your criticisms about problems in Rio 2016 preparations and what I said in the lines above are facts, not impressions.

Maybe you have the impression nothing has been done in Brazil in general.

I'd rather to believe in things I see around me than in impressions took thousands of miles away.

And since the beginning I tried to no cast a personal judgement about you (you're a calling me defensive over and over, even I agreeing with most of your criticisms), my turn:

Are you blind or dyslexic?

Edited by DannyelBrazil

No slow pace of stadia, all on schedule. Confederations Cup was a success.

No abandoned high speed rail project since there is a date for next tender and peoplei involved working on the project.

No defensiveness, since I agree with most of your criticisms about problems in Rio 2016 preparations and what I said in the lines above are facts, not impressions.

Maybe you have the impression nothing has been done in Brazil in general.

I'd rather to believe in things I see around me than in impressions took thousands of miles away.

And since the beginning I tried to no cast a personal judgement about you (you're a calling me defensive over and over, even I agreeing with most of your criticisms), my turn:

Are you blind or dyslexic?

Well, Danny, you say one thing, the media says another. You challenged them on Sao Paulo's stadium and the very article you cited specifically said that Sao Paulo was back on schedule. As far as I can tell and based on other stories, the others are straggling.

You should be encouraged however from the very positive reviews by the IOC that came out today. They seem to feel everything is progressing well and that legacy is a top priority. I would hope that would help reassure the people of Brazil as well. It may also help Istanbul.....

• Like 1

Well, Danny, you say one thing, the media says another. You challenged them on Sao Paulo's stadium and the very article you cited specifically said that Sao Paulo was back on schedule. As far as I can tell and based on other stories, the others are straggling.

You should be encouraged however from the very positive reviews by the IOC that came out today. They seem to feel everything is progressing well and that legacy is a top priority. I would hope that would help reassure the people of Brazil as well. It may also help Istanbul.....

Athensfan,

Sao Paulo stadium started late really, this is an undeniable fact. Still, FIFA gave 1 month more to Sao Paulo to complete the stadium, for some reasons like additional temporary seats required to Opening Match, huge roof structure and other technical stuff.

Since FIFA said: the schedule is January 31st and all the engineers and Brazilian media says it seems achievable, SO FAR, no problema on the schedule FIFA allowed to this stadium.

One thing is late start. Other thing is the schedule running at the moment.

I don't know where you get your information, but we, Brazilians, are making a big criticism here against the inaccuracy of international media.

A couple of weeks ago, Fox placed a picture of Brasilia stadium 2 years ago to "raise doubts about Brazilian stadiums for the World Cup". The stadium is ready since June!!!

BBC did the same with Beira Rio stadium, took a picture of a piece of grass in a specif angle and said: no works in Porto Alegre. We came here and posted dozens of pictures of the same day with hundreds of workers in the stadium.

Still, and I will use bold: Some projects related to World Cup like the Light Rail in Cuiaba or the Highway Eastbound the Stadium in Sao Paulo or the refurbshment of Rio Int'l Airport have tight schedules and these works really worries. What? Light Rail in Cuiaba, Highway in Sao Paulo??? Things International Media does not even know about and don't write a word about.

Rols already pointed International Media did the same with Australia for the 2000 games with inaccurate and absurd stories (at least, he said, I don't remember, I was a young teenager).

IOC is realistic and a great partnet, different from FIFA and their crazy statements about World Cup hosts.

Nawal El Moutawakel said 22 of the 44 lights are green. And all transportation lights will be red until 2016 no matter how early or late the works get done.

Fair enough.

And the better part is the interview she conceed to Folha de S.Paulo newspaper. She was asked "Is there any risk to take the games from Brazil?".

She answered: "Please, write a big NO to this question. We trust in Brazilians".

http://www1.folha.uol.com.br/esporte/2013/09/1336317-chefe-do-coi-diz-que-transporte-e-a-principal-luz-vermelha-para-os-jogos-de-2016.shtml

I also think this visit will help Istanbul somehow.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

_______

Just a final thought about High Speed Rail and works in Brazil.

Here in Santos, we have 3 big infra-structure projects.
1. The Light Rail, a project from 1985 (!!!) that got the works started only 2 months ago.
Indeed, the avenue where I live is closed due the works. They are removing a old bridge to build a new one, allowing the trams to pass below.
In 1 year, we will have a nice transportation around Santos and Sao Vicente. And this will be the first full electrical Urban Light Rail in Brazil.
http://g1.globo.com/sp/santos-regiao/noticia/2013/07/obras-do-vlt-em-sao-vicente-sp-passam-por-vistoria.html

2. The underwater tunnel linking Santos to Guarujá in the Port Area of both cities. This project is also from the 1980s and have been discussed over and over and over...
The governement changed to bridge, then tunnel again, then bridge, then tunnel. Yesteday afternoon, after more than 20 years of discussion, the tunnel budget was approved.
http://g1.globo.com/sp/santos-regiao/noticia/2013/09/projeto-de-tunel-que-ligara-santos-guaruja-esta-pronto.html

3. The Metropolitan Airport of Santos-Guarujá. This one is still under discussions... Since the 1950s!

When I say the High Speed Rail is not abandoned, trust me. A project in Brazil can be very fast or take decades to be ready sometimes.

If there is people still working on it and the calendar for a new tender, the project is not abandoned.

The good thing is: what we saw in the last years is the pace of works in Brazil have been much better, still far behind projects in the US or in Europe.
Understand: I'm not proud ot that.

But it's a fact and as I said several times: Don't measure things in Brazil with European or US rulers.
Unfortunatelly, things in Brazil are always in a slower pace and works in other ways, due our stupid bureaucracy (that lead to delays and waste of money).

How rude. My response was to Danny, not you.

If you follow your own advice and read this thread, you'll see I offered a list of disappointing developments and the train was only one of them. It just happened to be the one Danny focused on. It does contribute to the overall impression.

Sorry If I was rude, Mr. Athensfan. The lack of a proper education sometimes fails me. ;)

But yeh, the HST has nothing to do with the Rio 2016. It's a Federal project that hopefully will be abandoned by the next government.

IF we get a new government. If not, if Dilma is re-elected I'll probably leave this piece of continental crap.

Sorry If I was rude, Mr. Athensfan. The lack of a proper education sometimes fails me. ;)

But yeh, the HST has nothing to do with the Rio 2016. It's a Federal project that hopefully will be abandoned by the next government.

IF we get a new government. If not, if Dilma is re-elected I'll probably leave this piece of continental crap.

Actually, a PSDB government can take this project as theirs and keep it...

I think only Marina Silva as president would cancel the project for sure.

They are all corrupt, Mr. Danny. But I'm afraid of PT becoming the PRI of Brazil, ruling us for decades and turning brazil to crap. We need alternation of power, otherwise we are fucked because they drink so much milk from brazil's tities that I'm afraind wont be much left when they let it go.

Anyways, this isn't the thread for this.

Intoronto, first time I hear this. The Internation Federation that takes care of such sport said anything about this idea? Hopefully they'll be in favor of it. It'd be great if IOC accepted this. Iguaçu is perfect for such sport. There's football outside of the hosting city, there's Sailing outside of the hosting city so I don't know why you couldn't use a pre-existent facility for such a expensive sport that brings very little in return.

It could help solve a lot of problems IOC have right now when trying to reduce the cost of the games. Or even open the possibility of adding popular sports among the youth like SURF to the Olympic Movement and get ride of dance in the water, dance with objects, and other so called sports.

Traditionalists wont like, tho.

Here's the story:

Rio 2016 considers moving canoe slalom to distant venue

September 5 - Rio 2016 is considering moving the Olympic canoe slalom competition to a venue 700 miles away from Rio de Janeiro near the famous Iguazu falls, insidethegames understands.

The motivation for any such switch appears to be primarily about reducing costs and the amount of building work still to be done, at a time of growing concern in the International Olympic Committee (IOC) over the rate of progress of the 2016 Olympic and Paralympic project.

But a decision to use the existing Foz do Iguassu course, which hosted the 2007 Canoe Slalom World Championships, may also be popular with the television companies which provide so much of the Movement's funding, for the possibilities it would open up for scenic shots of one of the world's most spectacular tourist destinations.

At the moment, canoe slalom is slated to be among a number of sports, including equestrian, modern pentathlon and rugby sevens, to be located in the Deodoro zone in the west of Rio.

Deodoro was singled out by IOC President Jacques Rogge yesterday when he was asked about Rio 2016's rate of progress in a media conference here, where IOC members are gathering.

Rogge remarked both that there was "a lot of infrastructure where construction ought to accelerate" and "we must not forget that time is passing very quickly".

While the President's public comments were impeccably diplomatic as always, there is a strong sense behind the scenes in the Argentine capital that the IOC is becoming increasingly concerned about the amount of work still to do and that pressure on the Brazilians will ratchet up considerably once the business of electing Rogge's successor is taken care of on September 10.

The Movement will also be mindful, however, that it must strike a delicate balance at a time of what appears to be mounting frustration on the part of hard-pressed Brazilians about their public authorities' spending priorities.

This frustration was most in evidence during mass demonstrations coinciding with Brazil's staging of the Confederations Cup in June.

Insidethegames

Sounds like a reasonable, even a desirable, idea to me.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan of moving the venue so far away, but I presume that Beijing did something similar with Equestrian (granted it was a necessity due to quarantine laws) and Sailing and it didn't really cause any major issues.

Ultimately, as long as it looks good on TV...

They are all corrupt, Mr. Danny. But I'm afraid of PT becoming the PRI of Brazil, ruling us for decades and turning brazil to crap. We need alternation of power, otherwise we are fucked because they drink so much milk from brazil's tities that I'm afraind wont be much left when they let it go.

Anyways, this isn't the thread for this.

I know. I don't like any politicians from any political party.

I'm not a fan of moving the venue so far away, but I presume that Beijing did something similar with Equestrian (granted it was a necessity due to quarantine laws) and Sailing and it didn't really cause any major issues.

Ultimately, as long as it looks good on TV...

Iguazu falls are one of the most beautiful places I've been in my life.

I don't like much the idea of moving a venue 700 km away, but in this very case, I'm totally in favour since Iguazu Falls is one of the Seven New Wonder of Nature and it would look amazing on TV!

banner-top3.jpg

cataratas-aerea.jpg

cataratas+do+igua%C3%A7u6.jpg

pa2.jpg

It might be a fair way away, but in this case I agree, it would be worth it for the footage. Similar to Athens having shot put at Olympia, Beijing equestrian at HK, and what usually happens with sailing.

If I do end up going to Rio, I'd want to make the trip to see the slalom canoeing and get to see the falls as well.

It would be the only event (apart from football) that would be outside of the city, I assume?

Edited by Sir Rols

What's the usual transport for tourists from Rio to Iguazu? 700km is a bit far to want to try it via coach, I'd imagine. It seems like a bit more than a day trip.

Then again, if you guys could get a high speed rail line built ......

B)

Or maybe Argentina might kindly offer to host it on their side of the border!

:ph34r:

Edited by Sir Rols
  • Like 1