Rio-2016 News

Okay, let's compare to Sydney:

Consider:

Havelange disgrace: Phil Coles disgrace, Gosper scandal at the start of the torch relay.

Structural problems with athletics stadium: Structural problems with pommel horse only discovered once competition started.

Olympic park well behind schedule: Okay, not too many wories. But still enough stories about us getting behind whenever we had a rainy snap.

The abandoned rail project: NBC telling us at the last moment to tear down electricity pylons and bury them to ensure nicer images for broadcast.

Protests: Aboriginal protests

The executive who recently resigned: Revolving door leadership of SOCOG.

Now the closure of the drug lab: No real parallel. But it's not as if the WC or Olys will take place without WADA ensuring there's a functional, accredited drug lab in place.

I've told you before Danny, Rio's not getting any more flak, or less, than most previous hosts in the lead-up. And, of course, most of them are minor scandals at the time that soon get forgotten.

• Like 1

PS: I was watching a programme in Globo News called the Correspondent's Club, with some international media correspondents who lives in Brazil, and I remember a reporter from Germany commenting that the hard part of being a correspondent in Brazil is that the journalist in Europe only wants to know about favelas and the poor side of the country...

PS: I was watching a programme in Globo News called the Correspondent's Club, with some international media correspondents who lives in Brazil, and I remember a reporter from Germany commenting that the hard part of being a correspondent in Brazil is that the journalist in Europe only wants to know about favelas and the poor side of the country...

And in the lead-up to 2000, just about the only thing the overseas journalists wanted to do was make a beeline to our worst aboriginal ghetto in Redfern.

• Like 1

Okay, let's compare to Sydney:

Consider:

Havelange disgrace: Phil Coles disgrace, Gosper scandal at the start of the torch relay.

Structural problems with athletics stadium: Structural problems with pommel horse only discovered once competition started.

Olympic park well behind schedule: Okay, not too many wories. But still enough stories about us getting behind whenever we had a rainy snap.

The abandoned rail project: NBC telling us at the last moment to tear down electricity pylons and bury them to ensure nicer images for broadcast.

Protests: Aboriginal protests

The executive who recently resigned: Revolving door leadership of SOCOG.

Now the closure of the drug lab: No real parallel. But it's not as if the WC or Olys will take place without WADA ensuring there's a functional, accredited drug lab in place.

I've told you before Danny, Rio's not getting any more flak, or less, than most previous hosts in the lead-up. And, of course, most of them are minor scandals at the time that soon get forgotten.

I know Rols, Beijing faced as many criticism as Rio in the preparations: lack of democracy, poor residents removal, Tibet stuff.

But I think I'm not wrong by posting the other side. International media says: "Hey, your Olympic Stadium have a problem" and done. No more reports on it. I think I'm doing a nice service by posting pictures of employees working on the fix.

It's not a matter of being patriotic or defending my hometown. I'm showing the POV from Brazil, yeah, a bit optimistic... But, for me, the glass needs to be always half full...

And in the lead-up to 2000, just about the only thing the overseas journalists wanted to do was make a beeline to our worst aboriginal ghetto in Redfern.

It's all a conspiracy against the Southern Hemisphere!!! :rolleyes::P

Edited by DannyelBrazil

I think the lab suspensions will be more of a worry for the World Cup organisers as that's only a year away. I'd hope there's enough time and money to get things fixed before 2016!

But there is a drip-drip of worrying stories from RIo right now which seem to be more than just the usual media cynicism. All Athensfan is doing is posting them. This from ATR today for example...

http://www.aroundtherings.com//articles/view.aspx?pv=xqv&id=44339

• Like 1

This ATR report is natural. With all bad mood about Rio and Brazil lately in the media, I would be concerned too if I was some sport representative.

As Rols said, in the end, all these criticism (some valid, some inaccurate) will be forgotten and strong images of the Opening Ceremony and emotional sports moments will be remembered from Rio 2016 games.

This ATR report is natural. With all bad mood about Rio and Brazil lately in the media, I would be concerned too if I was some sport representative.

I think those stakeholders won't be relying on the media to tell them how things are going. I'd hope they'd have a direct line to ROCOG. So no, I don't think this ATR report is as a result of other media spreading pessimism and it in turn affecting stakeholders' opinions.

• Like 1

I think those stakeholders won't be relying on the media to tell them how things are going. I'd hope they'd have a direct line to ROCOG. So no, I don't think this ATR report is as a result of other media spreading pessimism and it in turn affecting stakeholders' opinions.

Agreed

As Rols said, in the end, all these criticism (some valid, some inaccurate) will be forgotten and strong images of the Opening Ceremony and emotional sports moments will be remembered from Rio 2016 games.

That is certainly the hope.

Regarding your question about the rail project, I'm referring to the Sao Paulo - Rio high-speed train that was initially intended to be in place before the 2016 Olympics. It has been delayed multiple times due to a lack of interest from contractors and zero interest from Brazilian contractors. http://www.railway-technology.com/news/newsbrazil-delays-bids-high-speed-train-project. At this time there is no contractor and no plan to begin work.

Regarding your question about the rail project, I'm referring to the Sao Paulo - Rio high-speed train that was initially intended to be in place before the 2016 Olympics. It has been delayed multiple times due to a lack of interest from contractors and zero interest from Brazilian contractors. http://www.railway-technology.com/news/newsbrazil-delays-bids-high-speed-train-project. At this time there is no contractor and no plan to begin work.

Was the high speed rail included as part of the Olympic plan?

Still, you said about "abandoned" rail project. The project is not abandoned, the new tender will be presented in august 2014.

Other thing: one company presented a proposal to build it, but according to Brazilian law, at least two companies must present proposals to validate the tender.

Why you said lack of interest???. It's wrong. Spanish and German companies officially asked more time to present better projects.

That's my point about innacurate information: There is no ABANDONED PROJECT. You can talk about delayed project.

We can also point that Brazil along with Argentina and California (since the 80s, California is planning and re-planning it) are delaying the projects for a high speed rail.

And I don't expect any high speed rail in Brazil before 2025... The mountains between Rio and Sao Paulo are a truly challenge for this project. That's why so much delay.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

PS: Again, it's not a matter of being defensive, I'm just posting the correct information that, sometimes, seems to be ignored.
The report in Brazil, in Portuguese:
http://g1.globo.com/bom-dia-brasil/noticia/2013/08/leilao-para-concessao-do-trem-bala-entre-rio-sp-e-adiado-pela-terceira-vez.html

Did you ever checked the tons of pictures of the works I posted here?

Edited by DannyelBrazil

___

Despite delays, trains, projects, labs and other stuff already discussed here, one thing is already amazing about all of this.

Brazil is getting more known and relevant. I was thinking: I never imagined I would be discussing Brazilian internal topics with an American who are up-to-date about many Brazilian facts.

Or to read old posters of GamesBids who had not a clue about our country 4 years ago talking about so many subjects of Brazil.

From this POV, I'm pretty happy.

This alone is already a great thing about the World Cup next year and the Olympics come to Rio.

Danny, the project was originally intended to be in place for the 2016 Olympic Games. It HAS been abandoned for 2016.

Currently there is no project. No one is willing to build it and that has been the case for YEARS. So you can say it is not abandoned, but nothing is happening and it will play zero role in the Games, contrary to earlier plans.

That is just one of many points that contribute to an overall impression that preparations are not going smoothly.

LOL? Don't make us question your intelligence here, Mr. Athensfan. The high-speed train has absolutely nothing to do with the Olympics. LOL. It'd make more sense (it'd be less stupid) if it was for the WC. Still, no country will ever build a high-speed monorail connecting two cities that are ~400km far apart from each other for the Olympic games. Not even China would do this. Simply because it makes no sense and changes nothing. Olympic Games will be held in Rio, not 400km far away.

Btw, hopefully the high speed train project will be abandoned by the next government. It's a waste of public money. Both of those cities needs more Metro lines, not a "White Elephant" construction that solves nothing just to be used as a piece of propaganda.

• Like 1

Danny, the project was originally intended to be in place for the 2016 Olympic Games. It HAS been abandoned for 2016.

Currently there is no project. No one is willing to build it and that has been the case for YEARS. So you can say it is not abandoned, but nothing is happening and it will play zero role in the Games, contrary to earlier plans.

That is just one of many points that contribute to an overall impression that preparations are not going smoothly.

lol the project of the High-Speed train is from 2007 (way before Olympics) and according to the public "Edital" it'd take seven years to be completed if started by then(2014). Back in 2009 it already had no chances of being completed by 2016, maybe an incomplete version of it.

The plan was never for it "to be in place for the 2016 games" because only an extremely stupid(borderline retarded) and/or extremely corrupt president would plan to build the so called 'bullet-train' for a Olympic games.

It has an estimated cost of US$ 15bn, dude. Also, only a retarded member of the IOC would demand such thing.

Anyways, hopefully this stupid idea will be abandoned for good.

The train was not imagined for the Olympics per se, but it was discussed as an added feature and benefit to the Olympic Games during Rio's campaign. It was not essential for success, but it's indefinite postponement and probable abandonment are just one more anecdote that contributes to an overall perception.

Of course one does not build a high-speed train solely for the Olympics.

Catra posted before I could ever read your answer, Athensfan.

High Speed train was never part of the Olympic plan. I already said that.

If the perception of delayed highspeed rails are somehow relevant to Olympic Games, so I can predict no San Francisco or LA Olympics anytime soon, right?

California is discussing the high speed rail since the 80s...

Almost 30 years of promises and no train running across the richest state of USA, the same one that have a GDP bigger than Brazil.

Athensfan, I don't get what you win with your behavior lately...

and probable abandonment

Says who?

Btw, hopefully the high speed train project will be abandoned by the next government. It's a waste of public money. Both of those cities needs more Metro lines, not a "White Elephant" construction that solves nothing just to be used as a piece of propaganda.

We are not sure who will be in the next government, and if workers party stays in presidency, they'll insist on this...

I'd rather too to have the money invested in Subway lines for our capitals and bigger cities

Edited by DannyelBrazil
  • Like 1

You are so defensive.

The point is not high speed trains. The point is things not going as planned. Yes, this always happens in life, but there's obviously a lot of it going on in Rio. We'll see what the IOC has to say after the next visit. Maybe they'll say everything is great.

Either way you Brazilians seem to have chips on your shoulders.

You are so defensive.

The point is not high speed trains. The point is things not going as planned. Yes, this always happens in life, but there's obviously a lot of it going on in Rio. We'll see what the IOC has to say after the next visit. Maybe they'll say everything is great.

Either way you Brazilians seem to have chips on your shoulders.

If we don't agree with part of your opinion and cast an argument against it, we are defensive?

That's is becoming so cliché. So easy for you guys to say "nah, we are right, you're so defensive".

I already said: Rio preparations are in part chaotic, remember? This is not about being defensive.

You can put high speed rail as one of the problems Brazil is facing to organize the gamss and I don't agree this can be considered as part of the preparations.

That's it. We can talk about delays in Olympic Park, my biggest fear: Subway Line 4, the resign of the head of the committee. I'm sure you'll be happy to talk about bad points of Rio organization, but in these subjects, we agree with you (and we are not being defensive, right?)

And in fact Beijing and Athens preparations had its bad moments too. Rols said the same about Sydney (I don't remember sine I was a young teenager at that time).

So, I ask you again: what is the point, Athensfan?

Edited by DannyelBrazil

PS: I'm sure IOC will put more pressure in Rio in the next visit, specially about golf course, subway line 4 and International Airport (despite the fact, airport will be send to private company now in September and this change from public to private operation already worked so fine for Sao Paulo, Brasilia and Campinas airports). Probably you have no idea about it.

Are you slow, Mr. Athensfan? Haven't you read the previous few pages? I was just criticizing everything about the Olympic edition in Brazil.OTOH, mentioning high-speed trains is simply stupid, forgive me.

You have plenty of arguments to criticize Rio2016, just pick a better one.

Btw, as I said few pages back: I'm sure they'll find a lot of problems and will criticize a shitload of things but the lack of a High Speed Train connecting a 400km far apart city WONT BE ONE.

• Like 1

Estado de S.Paulo newspaper already knows what IOC will criticize in Rio, report from today.

They got access to a top secret document from IOC with items and colors to speficy what is worrying, what needs monitoring and what is on schedule.

The biggest complain: "There are still many and frequent changes in the location of facilities"

"Some projects were not finished yet and worries."

And the biggest concerns, in the report with 44 items, are: Changes in Maracana project due justice stuff, Subway Line 4 (I told you guys), Deodoro Complex and contract for hotel room/cruise ship rooms.

According to IOC, 50% of the projects are in the schedule (I must confess, I thought it was less).

http://www.estadao.com.br/noticias/esportes,jogos-do-rio-correm-risco-diz-comite-olimpico-internacional-,1069679,0.htm

The report in Portuguese.

You have plenty of arguments to criticize Rio2016, just pick a better one.

Unfortunatelly, it's true.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

A summary:

http://m.apnews.com/ap/db_307134/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=MAyFM7JM

IOC inspectors to deliver clear message: speed up

RIO DE JANEIRO (AP) - IOC inspectors are sure to deliver a clear message to organizers of the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics when they arrive for a two-day visit: end delays and speed up.

For their part, Rio officials are expected to promise that games' preparations - after a late start - are on course. Behind closed doors, they'll try to soothe concerns about a slowdown in landing local sponsorships, worries over hotel accommodation and transportation, and explain recent public protests that have questioned big spending on major sports events like the Olympics.

International Olympic Committee inspectors, headed by former hurdles champion Nawal El Moutawakel, will be at work Sunday and Monday. During the last visit six months ago, IOC executive director Gilbert Felli said: "We don't have any yellow card to send to Rio."

Any such warning this time would be a reminder of the 2004 Olympics in Athens when then IOC President Juan Antonio Samaranch issued his famous "yellow card" reprimand to Greek organizers.

At least two members of the coordination commission - Richard Carrion and former Olympic gold-medal swimmer Alex Popov - have spoken openly, saying things need to move quicker.

"There are games that are better prepared and games that give us a little more trouble," Carrion said.

These games are still three years away and sure to stay off the radar until Brazil hosts football's World Cup next year, giving local organizers room to maneuver.

This is a challenging moment for South America's largest country, which is trying to organize two mega-events and is facing pushback from citizens who question spending so much on sporting events, particularly in a country with vast inequality, high prices and a slowing economy.

Brazil is spending about $13.3 billion of largely public money on the World Cup. Olympic organizers are expected to announce their budgets in a few months, but public spending could be similar to the World Cup - or higher.

Leo Gryner, chief operating officer of the Rio games, acknowledged in a recent interview with The Associated Press that organizers got a "six to eight month" late start on building venues.

Gryner said that $700 million in public money may be needed to balance the operating budget. This is the budget to run the games themselves and is expected to be as much as $4 billion when it's announced. He said any shortfall was due to inflation, the sluggish economy and a struggle to sell local sponsorships.

Gryner said the capital budget - a mix of public and private money aimed at building supporting infrastructure for the Olympics - could be 35 percent above the $11.6 billion listed in the original bid.

Sebastian Coe, who headed the 2012 London Olympics, is expected to be in Rio later this year to brief local officials about what to expect over the next two years.

"I still instinctively believe Rio will be a really good games," Coe said. "They will be different. There's a different level of expectation. With every Olympics, they always get there. Some are probably a little bit harder. The IOC will privately tell you some of those journeys are a little bit tougher."

Gryner singled out accommodations as a top priority.

"We will have as many rooms as we need," he said.

Soaring hotel prices are already a problem for the World Cup. The Brazilian government and the justice ministry are reportedly looking into reports that some hotels are gouging and have raised rates by 500 percent.

There are also doubts about Brazil's decrepit airports. The facilities in Sao Paulo and Rio are rated among the hemisphere's worst, which inspectors have surely noticed traveling through the country. Airports could also face problems accommodating a surge in private jets used by many visitors to the World Cup and Olympics.

Another problem area is the Deodoro Olympic Park, one of four core areas for the games. This run-down northern part of the city has long been neglected and will host equestrian events and a half-dozen others.

"It's a renovation of an area that hadn't been getting any attention and lacked sanitation systems for many, many years," Gryner said.

"Now that we have all the construction starting, and the last (place) will be Deodoro," Gryner added. "We have plans to show them (IOC inspectors), and we have the exact starting date, and finishing date for every venue. We can say exactly where we are."

The other core areas for the games include: the Barra area, located in the south and miles away from the city's famous Ipanema and Copacabana beaches; the area around Rio's Maracana stadium near the city center; and the Copacabana area.

Football will be played in Rio, Sao Paulo, Brasilia, Belo Horizonte and Salvador.

Rio officials are expected to tell IOC officials that grass will be going down later this year on the new golf course, which will mark the return of the sport to the Olympics.

In addition to the pace of preparations, IOC officials may face questions about the following:

- WADA's suspension of an anti-doping laboratory in Rio. The lab - the only WADA-accredited facility in Brazil - can reapply for accreditation, but the revocation is an embarrassment to games officials.

- The resignation several weeks ago of Marcio Fortes, who headed the public body coordinating planning for the games among the local, state and national governments. Fortes, who handed in his resignation to Brazilian President Dilma Rousseff, headed the Olympic Public Authority - APO - and complained he had been marginalized in decision making.

Rio Mayor Eduardo Paes has said coordination is going well and the position is not needed.

- The use of the games to upgrade some of the city's transportation infrastructure. The three biggest projects are: a 16-kilometer (9-mile) extension of the city's subway system into the Barra area; adding four high-speed bus lanes; and, renovating a decaying port.

"There is tremendous pressure with the Olympics," Gryner said. "It's a huge project and we have very big ambitions for the transformation of the city of Rio. We are not losing the opportunity of what the Olympics can bring the city."

___

Follow Stephen Wade at http://twitter.com/StephenWadeAP
  • Like 1

^^ Look at a nice report made from International Media. No sensationalism, only information.

Indeed, better than Estado report, who putted "The games are on risk"... Pretty stupid title.

end delays and speed up

I couldn't agree more. Mayor Paes need to stop to make changes in the plans!!!

There are also doubts about Brazil's decrepit airports. The facilities in Sao Paulo and Rio are rated among the hemisphere's worst

The Airport in Sao Paulo is already much better than 1 year ago and the new international terminal already in final works (and confirmed for May 2014) will be really nice.