Rio-2016 News

Rio 2016™ unveils what is to come in the three-year mark for the Olympic Games

3anosparario2016_media.jpg
Rio 2016 employees celebrate the 3 years to the Olympic Games countdown (Photo: Rio 2016/Alex Ferro)
Three years before the Rio 2016™ opening ceremony, the Organising Committee gets prepared for the project’s great deliveries
Reduce font sizeIncrease font sizeShare on facebookShare on twitterSend to a friend
In 1,096 days, South America will host, for the first time, an edition of the greatest sporting event on the planet. From today, Brazil has 36 months to show the world the size of its will and the strength of its celebration. Rio de Janeiro has exactly 3 years up to the Opening Ceremony of the 31st edition of the Summer Olympic Games, scheduled for 5 August 2016.
In the next three years, the pace will speed up even more while Rio 2016™ shapes what previously only existed on paper. Launching of pictograms, medals, torch, mascots, volunteers programme, license products and tickets sales, cultural and educational projects as well as sports venues. Until 2016, there are many surprises on our path and this transformation is only in the beginning. Today, in case you would like to know what we are preparing for the coming years, Rio 2016™ seizes the opportunity to update you on some of the news:
2013 is not ending anytime soon and, starting in the second half of the year, a few great deliveries are expected. Representing an important stage of planning, Model Venue Exercise will end in the coming months, setting our mode venue operations as well as the base for the operational plans of more than 50 Rio 2016™ venues.
The Sustainable Supply Chain programme is another important step this year, with the launch of the Procurement Portal which will inform all the Games purchase demands. Since 2013, the programme is aimed at promoting suppliers’ qualification as well as large scale economic development, counting on strategic partnerships with institutions such as Sebrae.
In September, an important Session of the International Olympic Committee (IOC) will take place in Buenos Aires, and it will present the scope of all the events related to Rio 2016™ Olympic Games’ 28 sports (besides, of course, unveiling the next host city of the Summer Olympic Games, to be celebrated in 2020).
Unveiling the Games pictograms is one of the great surprises that we expect in the 1,000 days to go countdown, when everyone will get to know the Olympic sports with the characteristic features of the Rio 2016™ brand. The first Rio 2016™ licensed products will also be introduced in the end of 2013, marking sales start in our virtual shop as well as sales points all over town for the next year.
Closing the year in the Committee, 600 professionals prepare to make this great project become reality in the next three years.
The Games begin to materialise before the attentive eyes of people passionate about the Rio 2016™ brand during three involving events scheduled for 2014: time has come for people to get to know everyone’s favourite Games characters, the Rio 2016™ mascots; the presentation of the Rio 2016™ Look of the Games project will set the look of the whole city in 2016; finally the population’s involvement reaches its peak with the launch of the Volunteers Programme, beginning the selection of more than 70 thousand volunteers for Games-time.
Sport, as a catalyst for education in Brazil, is also part of the Rio 2016™ project. The launch of the Education Programme is expected to take place in 2014, once a testing phase with more than 10 Carioca schools is concluded.
Cultural diversity is also part of the agenda in 2014 and the Rio 2016™ Cultural Programme will promote Brazilian cultural features and values, culminating in a great Cultural Festival in 2016.
In the end of the year, many competition venues will be ready, getting prepared for various test-events the following year. The first test event is already scheduled for 2014, with the celebration of Sailing Championships in Marina da Glória, an Olympic venue.
By this time, the number of professionals in the Organising Committee will have doubled compared to the year before, totalling 1,200 transformation agents.
Only a year prior to the Games, it is time to certify that everything is in place. Therefore, about 50 other test events are scheduled to take place between 2015 and 2016, checking the operations of all Games sports competitions. It will be a complex operation, involving, besides the sports area, various operational areas such as ticketing, press, transport, accommodations and spectator services, among others.
And for those keen to watch this great event live, stay tuned as next year more than seven million Games tickets are also scheduled to start being sold.
In the last year of preparation, the Rio 2016™ team will total more than 2,200 employees.
With Rio de Janeiro ready, the mood for celebration is already in the air. About three months before the Games, the Olympic torch will be lit in Olympia and make its way before arriving at the Maracanã Olympic venue, the stage for the Rio 2016™ Opening Ceremony, on 5 August 2016. For the following two weeks, the equivalent of 41 world championships will take place, gathering around 10,500 athletes from more than 200 countries.
People from all over the world set their sights on Rio de Janeiro. More than 100 thousand professionals will share this experience, including 8,000 Rio 2016™ employees, 35,000 outsourced professionals and more than 70,000 volunteers. The audience will be comprised of millions of spectators that will pack the venues of four competition zones and Games live sites. Besides, people from all over the world will follow the live broadcasting of rights-holding companies from the five continents. In London 2012, for instance, the Games global reach totalled 3.6 billion people, an impressive audience.
Starting on 22 August 2016, the transition process for the Paralympic Games begins, followed by the delivery of permanent venues for their future use as well as the dismantling of temporary venues according to the Legacy projects and the Sustainable Supply Chain’s waste management policy, respectively.
Three values that transform
Almost seven years will have passed since that unforgettable 2 October 2009, the date when Rio de Janeiro was awarded the title of “host city” for the 2016 Olympic Games. Since then, the Organising Committee has been working hard for the preparations, and not only to ensure the structures needed for the celebration of this great event, but to promote true transformation in the city and country as well.
Projects dealing with legacy for sport, urban mobility and accessibility, education, culture, environmental and community conscience as well as economic development are based on the three Olympic values – Excellence, Respect and Friendship. We have three years, 36 months or 1096 days to make all this happen. Today, 5 August 2013, Rio 2016™ invites everyone to be part of this transformation.

Rio 2016

• Like 1

This is a bit worrying...

The accreditation of the anti-doping laboratory in 2016 Olympic host city Rio de Janeiro has been suspended, the World Anti-Doping Agency said Friday.

The suspension prohibits the lab from carrying out any WADA-related anti-doping activities and took effect on Thursday.

It's the second action against the lab in two years. The facility was barred from conducting isotope ratio mass spectrometry (IRMS) testing -- used to measure testosterone levels -- from January to October of last year.

WADA did not specify what standards the lab has failed to meet to warrant the latest suspension, but said a "further decision regarding possible revocation of the laboratory's accreditation" would be made by the global anti-doping body's executive committee.

The lab, one of 35 worldwide with WADA accreditation, can appeal the suspension via the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

http://www.skynews.com.au/sport/article.aspx?id=895253

I have no interest on anti-doping stuff, so I can't say anything about it, but Athensfan, is Brazilian Anti doping lab the first to be suspended in the history?

If something is wrong, time to correct it and promote the best possible service in 2016.

I have no interest on anti-doping stuff, so I can't say anything about it, but Athensfan, is Brazilian Anti doping lab the first to be suspended in the history?

If something is wrong, time to correct it and promote the best possible service in 2016.

I

Oh

It's a shame, Mr. Rob. Our politicians are ruining this great opportunity to show Brazil to the World in a good light. A lot of delays, a lot of mistakes, a lot of corruption, etc. I'm sure Rio will be ready, but it'll cost brazilians billions and billions to accelerate the constructions near te olympics. Same way Brazilians had to pay for that shameful pan-american games in Rio de Janeiro.

Unfortunately, if we could weight what Rio have in beauty and put it on a balance we could counter-weight it perfectly with its' incompetence, laziness, corruption, etc.

The overly patriotic brazilians that want to hide this from the world will probably hide in shame.

I'm not saying olympics will be a disaster, just saying we'll have things being done 2 days before the opening ceremony and the rich will get richer.

Marcio Fortes was one of the few politicians that was respected by both the government and the oposition. He demanded changes but once he saw he was playing the role of a Marionette, he abandoned the boat before it sank with him inside,

Good for him, bad for Rio.

Rio's mayor is a joke of a person. He and the governor are ruining Rio de Janeiro.

• Like 1

^^ The laziness (and other adjectives) you gave the impression are exclusive of Rio is the only thing I don't agree in your post, Catra.

Laziness coming from someone living in Salvador is at least funny.

But I agree with the rest. We are wasting a great opportunity to make the world have breathtaking impression of Brazil. Our politicians sucks. And Mayor Eduardo Paes was really unhappy with their speech. I understood what he meant, but he chose wrong words and now the international press will make him look like a fool...

Sad.

Ok. I'm watching the mayor's interview to Juca Kfouri. Danny is right, he was lamenting the fact that sports diversity culture wasn't popularized in Brazil before receiving the Olympics.

Anyways, my other critics remain the same, especially about the corpse that runs the State nowadays.

i'm still shock that brazil will host the world cup AND the Olympics.

C'mon, it's something from the last decade, move on about your shocks...

Rio = Brazil. Same ****, Mr. Danny.

With all respect, if both are a ****, why not move from Brazil? There are 200+ countries outside to you to find the happiness...

Ok. I'm watching the mayor's interview to Juca Kfouri. Danny is right, he was lamenting the fact that sports diversity culture wasn't popularized in Brazil before receiving the Olympics.

Anyways, my other critics remain the same, especially about the corpse that runs the State nowadays.

Paes is a fool. He is in politics for years, he should know how to express himself knowing the media, specially abroad. Media always can pick a word from his speeches and cause a real incident....

Mr. Valcke from Fifa already learnt this with the "kick in the ass" episode...

Yes, Governor Cabral is lost in his decisions... He's probably poltically dead after this terrible year of his government.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

With all respect, if both are a ****, why not move from Brazil? There are 200+ countries outside to you to find the happiness...

Plenty of reasons, none are of your concern, tho.

Anyways, once again you're taking things too literally, Mr. Danny. Same **** = mesma merda. It's a slang. :) I did not mean to say both are excrements. I love where I live.

ps: You sound like a good person but your patriotism clouds your judgment too often. You know what they say, right? "Patriotism is the last refuge..."

Wada revokes Rio de Janiero drugs laboratory's licence for repeated failure to meet dope-testing standards

Wada made the decision after the UFRJ doping control laboratory, also known as Ladetec, was suspended this month for repeat failures to comply with the necessary standards.

It presents a major headache for World Cup and Rio 2016 Olympic organisers who had planned for the laboratory to test all the samples at the two major events.

Wada suspended the laboratory in January last year for nine months and it was only reinstated after a site visit to ensure that all the improvements had been made.

There have been further problems since then, however, and it was suspended again on Aug 8 before Wada announced that its accreditation would be revoked as from Sept 25 “due to non-compliance with the International Standard for Laboratories (ISL) and the related technical documents”.

Wada said in a statement: “The revocation will enter into force September 25, 2013 and means that the laboratory – which is currently suspended – will no longer be authorised to carry out the testing of doping control samples on behalf of Wada or any testing authority. In the meantime, the suspension remains applicable and Ladetec is therefore ineligible to perform analysis of doping control samples for any testing authority.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/drugsinsport/10269675/Wada-revokes-Rio-de-Janiero-drugs-laboratorys-licence-for-repeated-failure-to-meet-dope-testing-standards.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Wada revokes Rio de Janiero drugs laboratory's licence for repeated failure to meet dope-testing standards

Wada made the decision after the UFRJ doping control laboratory, also known as Ladetec, was suspended this month for repeat failures to comply with the necessary standards.

It presents a major headache for World Cup and Rio 2016 Olympic organisers who had planned for the laboratory to test all the samples at the two major events.

Wada suspended the laboratory in January last year for nine months and it was only reinstated after a site visit to ensure that all the improvements had been made.

There have been further problems since then, however, and it was suspended again on Aug 8 before Wada announced that its accreditation would be revoked as from Sept 25 “due to non-compliance with the International Standard for Laboratories (ISL) and the related technical documents”.

Wada said in a statement: “The revocation will enter into force September 25, 2013 and means that the laboratory – which is currently suspended – will no longer be authorised to carry out the testing of doping control samples on behalf of Wada or any testing authority. In the meantime, the suspension remains applicable and Ladetec is therefore ineligible to perform analysis of doping control samples for any testing authority.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/othersports/drugsinsport/10269675/Wada-revokes-Rio-de-Janiero-drugs-laboratorys-licence-for-repeated-failure-to-meet-dope-testing-standards.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Comments, Danny? This is common all over the world, right?

Comments, Danny? This is common all over the world, right?

It's not common, but also it seems it's not a first time a host gets Laboratory's WADA license revoked years before the games, right?

Still, a shame. Hope this boost all the changes laboratory needs ahead the games.

And how about Madrid's laboratory, is everything OK there? They are bidding for 2020 games, right?

And they could have won 2016 race. I saw your reaction about Madrid's Laboratory got WADA license revoked. And if they were the 2016 hosts, would it be the same?

What's your problem?

Anyways, once again you're taking things too literally, Mr. Danny. Same **** = mesma merda. It's a slang. :) I did not mean to say both are excrements. I love where I live.

ps: You sound like a good person but your patriotism clouds your judgment too often. You know what they say, right? "Patriotism is the last refuge..."

Hmmm, do you really think (about patriotism)?

I just agreed with your post in every single term, despite some adjectives... If I was so blind-patriotic as you point....

----

I'm glad you like to live in Brazil and I understand your criticism over several subjects. In fact, the tone of your criticisms have been correct lately and I totally agree with this change.

I just don't like stupid generalisms.

About the "same ****" thing... Once you use pejorative slang, you are not wanting to cast a positive review... But let's not waste time discussing slangs and POVs.

Edited by DannyelBrazil

Just for the record, Madrid's lab was suspended once for one accidental error: http://bigstory.ap.org/article/wada-reinstates-madrid-doping-lab It was promptly returned to normal status.

Rio's lab has been suspended multiple times due to a pattern of non-compliance. It's not quite the same.

As I said, it's a shame. I truly hope this boost any changes Rio's lab needs to be in shape for the Olympic Games.

I'm not defending Rio's Lab is right. I only hope this red light be a turning point for whatever caused the revoke. :)

But I'm sure, Athensfan, Rio was not the first Lab ever to get the revoke, right? The point here is: Rio and/or Brazilian Authorities (since it's a Federal University) MUST do the changes Ladetec needs to be Ok for the games.

It seems Athensfan, you get happy with every single bad news coming from Rio... I want to be wrong about it.

Not at all, Danny. I hope Rio is a great success. I do not wish Rio ill at all.

Sometimes I do become frustrated when you act as though all the bad press is a hate campaign against Rio on the part of North American and European media. There are very legitimate reasons for concern. Contrary to some of the things I have read here, Rio was a risky choice and was arguably the least prepared of the 2016 candidates. When the cracks start to show (sometimes literally, as in the case of Havelange Stadium), you can't blame the media for taking notice. It is newsworthy.

I believe that Rio will find a way to make it work, but I also believe that some of these problems were foreseeable for a riskier host.

Consider:

Havelange disgrace.

Structural problems with athletics stadium.

Olympic park well behind schedule.

The abandoned rail project.

Several World Cup venues still quite behind.

Protests.

The executive who recently resigned.

Now the closure of the drug lab.

When you act like this is just a smear campaign against Rio it feels to me like you are ignoring reality. I am not cheering for Rio's downfall. Not at all. But I don't appreciate it when you act like the bad press is just empty propaganda. The world doesn't hate Brazil. We're not out to get Rio.

Brazil has a TREMENDOUS challenge in staging the World Cup and Olympic Games within two years of each other. Either one alone would be monumental. Yes, Brazil is developing quickly, but that development is still in progress and the preparation for these events isn't likely to be as smooth as it might be in other countries. That's not an insult. It's just reality. Both events can still be great successes. In following these news stories, we are following the progress. That's it.

• Like 1

Not at all, Danny. I hope Rio is a great success. I do not wish Rio ill at all.

Sometimes I do become frustrated when you act as though all the bad press is a hate campaign against Rio on the part of North American and European media. There are very legitimate reasons for concern. Contrary to some of the things I have read here, Rio was a risky choice and was arguably the least prepared of the 2016 candidates. When the cracks start to show (sometimes literally, as in the case of Havelange Stadium), you can't blame the media for taking notice. It is newsworthy.

I believe that Rio will find a way to make it work, but I also believe that some of these problems were foreseeable for a riskier host.

Consider:

Havelange disgrace.

Structural problems with athletics stadium.

Olympic park well behind schedule.

The abandoned rail project.

Several World Cup venues still quite behind.

Protests.

The executive who recently resigned.

Now the closure of the drug lab.

When you act like this is just a smear campaign against Rio it feels to me like you are ignoring reality. I am not cheering for Rio's downfall. Not at all. But I don't appreciate it when you act like the bad press is just empty propaganda. The world doesn't hate Brazil. We're not out to get Rio.

Brazil has a TREMENDOUS challenge in staging the World Cup and Olympic Games within two years of each other. Either one alone would be monumental. Yes, Brazil is developing quickly, but that development is still in progress and the preparation for these events isn't likely to be as smooth as it might be in other countries. That's not an insult. It's just reality. Both events can still be great successes. In following these news stories, we are following the progress. That's it.

I wish I could make arguments in English as I can make in Portuguese. I feel so frustrated to lose all the argumentations wars due my poor English, but let's try again.

I know you are not wishing bad sucess for Rio and Brazil in 2016, but what can I think since every single bad news from Rio is a reason to you come here in Rio threads and always cast a ironic sentence after the news, lately, pointing to me. Maybe to see "Danny jumping here and there". It's a kind of fun for some here, I already got it.

First of all. I didn't said anything to defend the fact Rio's lab was revoked. I don't have this "behaviour" in all news from Rio. In the case of Mayor of Rio saying it's a shame, I also didn't defend him. And I did have this behaviour several times, accepting criticisms over Rio preparations, that have been chaotic in some parts. Can you understand this? Did you read my last sentence. "Chaotic" - Yes, Danny is "jumping" saying parts of Rio preparations have been chaotic.

Do I need to repeat?

Also about the Joao Havelange Stadium, I was very critic about the cracks in the roof structure, still, as Brazilian, reading the local press, I can put here links and the POV FROM HERE, for example, to say Rio Administration already started the works to fix it. It's not a matter of being patriotic. It's just showing what International Media do "forget" to keep on eye on the news they report. They only show the problem and does not show what have been done to fix the problem.

How many times, suddenly, everything bad from Brazil, was fixed like magic, if you only read the international media?

Suddenly, all the Confederations Cup were done. Suddenly in December 31st, since stadiums ARE NOT BEHIND SCHEDULE, will be have stadia done for the World Cup like magic.

Worst, Fox released a news putting doubts over Brazilian stadiums showing footage of Brasilia stadium in works, but the stadium is ready and was used during Confederations Cup!!! Magic?

Am I crazy or Brasilia stadium is not ready?

We see lots of innacurate reports like this over and over and over.... And if they are accurate, they are followed by a lot of hard criticism about our nation... I'm tired.

Brazil is not perfect, will never be. We have a lot of weaknesses, I never denied this. We have a loooooooooooooot of them.

When Rio was elected I said: my biggest fear: bureaucracy. Nobody cared much about my post about it. What is the biggest problem with delayed works for World Cup? Bureaucracy.

But we also have our strong points. These strong points that are almost never highlighted in the International Media or even here.

About the topics you posted:

Havelange disgrace. - Why IOC of FIFA does not punish him? I never liked this guy, nor most of Brazilians. We are waiting the punishment.

Structural problems with athletics stadium. - Yes, a shame, at least, plenty of time to fix it and the works have been done.

Olympic park well behind schedule. - The works are in full steam and there is also plenty time to finish it. But, yes, they are delayed.

The abandoned rail project. - Which one? As I know, all rail projects related to Olympics are under construction.

Several World Cup venues still quite behind. - Sorry, none are. The schedule is December 31st and for Sao Paulo's stadium January 31st, all of them are under schedule.

Protests.- Is this a problem or something bad? Pretty much like the US, the right to protest, indeed, closing avenues, is granted by our constitution. I don't see it as a bad thing.

The executive who recently resigned. - It's really a sympthom something is not going well in the preparations to Olympics. My biggest fear, altought, is the line 4 of Subway, not the Olympic Park. Take a note, this will be very tight to deliver.

Now the closure of the drug lab. - A shame.

About the media, Athensfan. I work in the media. Brazilian media is as disgusting as the media anywhere else. What International media do with Brazil, Brazilian media do with the poorest states of the country. It's about the status quo of the readers, specially, from most developed areas.

We (I am not alone here in GB) are posting that there is another side.

It's undeniable that there is inaccuracy in the reports from Brazil (specially by showing Brazil or Rio as a big favela, when only 6% of Brazilian lives on them). And, you like or you don't, I will try to show that there is also a good Brazil here.

Edited by DannyelBrazil