Rio-2016 News

^^ I totally agree with you.

I was answering Michelle not you.

She's skeptical because of bad news coming from Rio from times to times...

I imagine this will get worse in the next years, specially for those who buy/read information in the UK.

I mostly get my news from American and French media these days. So erm, yeah!

The world (and the UK) are not against Brazil, Rio or the 2016 Games. But they do take issue with poorly constructed stadiums, especially if the safety of their athletes and spectators are put at risk.

Unfortunately, you'll have to learn to cope with criticism. It is part and parcel of being a host city.

• Like 2

@Michelle: "you'll have to learn to cope with criticism. It is part and parcel of being a host city."

The good news is that criticism from American presidential candidates is a great morale booster; the bad news is that Brazil's armed forces will need training to take over almost any conceivable role, because some of the criticism will probably reveal a genuine crisis.

I mostly get my news from American and French media these days. So erm, yeah!

The world (and the UK) are not against Brazil, Rio or the 2016 Games. But they do take issue with poorly constructed stadiums, especially if the safety of their athletes and spectators are put at risk.

Unfortunately, you'll have to learn to cope with criticism. It is part and parcel of being a host city.

I know the World and the UK are not against Brazil, but part of the media is truly with some "bad-will" with the World Cup here. The reason??? No clue...

I totally agree with people to get worried with such stupid error in the roof building of an Olympic venue. All concerns are legitimate. Not discussing this.

I don't like the "this should raise concerns about all ..... in whole nation of Brazil"... C'mon... It's too much criticism about everything...

That's my sole point.

Everything become a huge criticism about whole Brazil since we were awarded the games.

If a crowded bus is shown, "this raise concerns about transportation in Brazil"... If a wing of an airplane from Brazil is shown, "concerns raised over washing airplanes in Brazil"

Tired of criticisms like this...

About buildings, this is Sao Paulo...

trasnporte-de-van-para-cidade-de-sao-pau

The city, like all Brazil, is okay and working everyday without "collapsed buildings all around"

Do we really have problems with structures collapsing all the time?

I don't think so.

The truth as always is somewhere in the middle Danny. It's true the press is going to attach an Olympic or World Cup angle to any story about Brazil at the moment. It's also true that "...raises concerns so close to the Olympics" is such an easy, throw-away phrase for doing this. Sometimes it's fair, sometimes not, but it comes with the territory of being an Olympic host.

However, I think it was me and Athensfan who said that this time around, not any newspaper article. And the reason should be obvious. If you've built a stadium for a recent multi-sport event and it's not safe, surely it's only logical to wonder about other sports facilities built at the same time, AND to wonder about the methods used for any new ones being built right now. If you can reassure us on that front, great.

• Like 1

I disagree... Check all the rest of PanAms venues... All of them are there, working. Specially HSBC Arena, the new second home of UFC fights in the planet or Maracanazinho Arena, that already host FIVB World League, FIFA Futsal World Cup since the PanAms...

Up to the games, some venues will receive some maintenance, refurbshment, improvements or even be demolished because of IOC standards (like Rio's PanAms velodrome).

I see this as a really normal way do deal with big-events venues.

More: City Hall and authorities closed Engenhao (known here as JH Stadium) until the the problem is solved.

If not now, problably the problem would be checked during the Olympic Games refurbshment of the stadium scheduled for sometime soon...

Must be said: The Aquatic Park of PanAms, the so-called Maria Lenk needed to be closed and refurbshed after PanAms due a problem with the pool. And now it's working as Training Venue for swimmers, Taekwondo and Judo (since 2010) and will be used in Rio 2016.

Again and again: all I said is not an excuse for the shameful problem in the roof of JH Stadium.

The responsible people must be punished in the terms of Brazilian law.

This is serious stuff.

WTF Rio! An American couple kidnapped from Copacabana and the woman gang raped FOR 6 HOURS?!?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/02/world/americas/american-woman-gang-raped-on-brazilian-transit-van.html?_r=0

American Woman Gang-Raped and Beaten on Brazilian Transit Van

The assault on the American woman here, police investigators said, began early Saturday, just after midnight, when the attackers forced other passengers out of the van, which picks up passengers along the street and can seat about a dozen people. The woman was raped by all three men, who took turns driving the vehicle, the police said. “It was a gang rape,” said Jayme da Costa Rosa Neto, a police official investigating the attack.

After the couple were freed about 6 a.m. Saturday and left at a bus station, the woman was taken to two public hospitals, Miguel Couto and Rocha Maia, for treatment including the administering of a cocktail of drugs containing the morning-after pill, to prevent pregnancy, and other medications to prevent sexually transmitted diseases.

All three criminals are already arrested.

Meanwhile in a foreign country, people must no trust unknow people.

This is regular official bus service in Rio

greve_rj_fim.jpg

Very coloured big and new bus, and with Official logo of Rio City hall. All official buses MUST have red license plate.

This is regular official taxis in Rio

61825.jpg

The taxis in Rio have RED LICENSE PLATE and are yellow with a blue stripe (those without the stripe are ILLEGAL or Particular service)

This van (the one where American girls were raped) is clearly not an official service of transportation.

van.jpg

It's not an excuse to stupid crime that happened in Rio, but all tourist guides of main touristic destinations have informations like this to avoid mistakes.

Illegal means of transportation can put in real trouble. It's good to know before you go what are the official and regular service in the city you are visiting.

WTF Rio! An American couple kidnapped from Copacabana and the woman gang raped FOR 6 HOURS?!?

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/02/world/americas/american-woman-gang-raped-on-brazilian-transit-van.html?_r=0

American Woman Gang-Raped and Beaten on Brazilian Transit Van

The assault on the American woman here, police investigators said, began early Saturday, just after midnight, when the attackers forced other passengers out of the van, which picks up passengers along the street and can seat about a dozen people. The woman was raped by all three men, who took turns driving the vehicle, the police said. “It was a gang rape,” said Jayme da Costa Rosa Neto, a police official investigating the attack.

After the couple were freed about 6 a.m. Saturday and left at a bus station, the woman was taken to two public hospitals, Miguel Couto and Rocha Maia, for treatment including the administering of a cocktail of drugs containing the morning-after pill, to prevent pregnancy, and other medications to prevent sexually transmitted diseases.

Sad news, at least this gang, who were attacking in Rio for some weeks are now in jail.

BTW, the sheriff of the Police Station was fired, since another victim had made an official report of the gang and no action were taken.

• 1 month later...
Rio councillors propose Havelange's name taken off Olympics athletics venue

May 9 - A bill has been presented by politicians in Rio de Janeiro demanding the removal of former FIFA President João Havelange's name from the stadium which is due to host athletics during the 2016 Olympics.

Havelange, 96, quit as FIFA's Honorary President last month, shortly before the publication of a report by the world governing body's Ethics Committee into allegations he took bribes from the ISL sports marketing company while head of the organisation.

"The name João Havelange is today linked to fraud investigations and scandals at FIFA," said Renato Cinco, one of the Councillors behind the proposed legislation.

"It doesn't make sense for a city which is going to host the World Cup and Olympic Games have the name of its stadium with this reference."

Rio 2016 officials, who have publicly backed Havelange despite the corruption scandal, have claimed that it is nothing to do with them the name of the the Estadio Olimpico João Havelange.

Jo%C3%A3o_Havelange.jpeg
João Havelange has been found guilty of taking bribes from ISL by FIFA's Ethics Committee

The Stadium, built in 2007 for the Pan American Games, is due to be the main athletics venue during the Olympics and Paralympics.

But it is currently closed for renovations after serious structural problems were discovered in the roof.

It is not due to be used the 2014 FIFA World Cup.

The Councillors have suggested changing the stadium's name to João Saldanha, who coached Brazil in the 1970 World Cup qualifying competition.

"The change of name to Joao Saldanha is an attempt to resolve not just a matter of ethics, considering that Joao Havelange is not worthy of this tribute, but also to bring fresh air to this Stadium built on the basis of overblown costs and with structural problems," said Eliomar Coelho, another Councillor of the authors of the bill.

Saldanha, who died in 1990, was a passionate supporter of Rio's Botafogo football club, the current lease-holders of the João Havelange stadium.

http://www.insidethegames.biz/olympics/summer-olympics/2016/1014148-rio-councillors-propose-havelange-s-name-taken-off-olympics-athletics-venue

^^ I hope they change the name as well. They can't keep naming such an important stadium after one of the most corrupt figures which the world of sports have seen.

LOL? Don't you think you're being too imprudent with your words?

Not even close.

Havelange is a great sportsman. Transformed the World Cup into the greatest sportive event in human history and spreat the sport in the world.

He deserves better and his name should not and will not be removed

^^ Um, whatever you say. And even if that's true that still doesn't erase the fact that he still did hideous acts of corruption. No matter how much good things he did, he still has to answer for his misdeeds like the rest of the world.

• 3 weeks later...

Rio de Janeiro Olympic venue to remain closed for 18 months

Officials in Rio de Janeiro have said a recently-built stadium that will be used at the 2016 Olympics will remain closed for 18 months while the roof is repaired.

A committee of engineers said it had found a number of problems, including broken and twisted supports.

The Joao Havelange stadium was closed in March after it emerged that the roof could collapse in high winds.

It was opened late only six years ago at a cost of about $200m (£128m).

The Rio authorities had seen it as a legacy project for the city.

But a team of engineers concluded in a report that the project for the construction of the stadium had presented "structural errors" from the start.

"It is a flaw which is related to the way the project was conceived," said Sebastiao Andrade, a professor of engineering at Rio de Janeiro's Catholic University (PUC), who contributed to the study.

"There is a need to reinforce the roof's structure so the stadium can be used, taking into consideration the proper requirements of safety," he told journalists in Rio.

'Ready for the Games'

Alexandre Pinto, the city's official in charge of public constructions, also admitted there had been "several mistakes in this project".

"The Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Organising Committee is satisfied that the solution presented by the city of Rio de Janeiro will allow the Olympic Stadium to be ready for the Games,'' the committee said in a statement.

Friday's announcement comes soon after a stadium in northern Brazil, which will also be used for the Olympics, suffered a partial collapse of its roof.

Renovated in time for this year's Confederations Cup, the Fonte Nova Arena, in the state of Bahia, was inaugurated in April.

But its roof apparently was unable to sustain a large amount of water that settled on top of it following heavy rains.

BBC

Glad this happened now and not less than a year before the games, that could had been a big disaster. Hope they can fix the roof very soon and this incident teaches them to get a bit more serious about the preparations for 2016.

^^ Um, whatever you say. And even if that's true that still doesn't erase the fact that he still did hideous acts of corruption. No matter how much good things he did, he still has to answer for his misdeeds like the rest of the world.

"hideous acts of corruption" lol.

Please, be honest: would you repeat your words in front of a jury? You're too imprudent with your words. That's why sometimes I hate the internet. Just because you heard some newspapper or worse say something it doesn't mean it's true. He as the president of a private company received commissions from another private company after signing with it. It was considered unethical /illegal by a swiss court and he returned the money. That was his 'punishment' by his 'hideous acts of corruption'. LOL. In many other countries it could not be considered illegal.

Anyways, I bet you're a Chaves(RIP) hater aswell. just because the international press say a lot of bullshit about him.