Rio-2016 News

IOC backs Rio Olympic preps after stadium closure

LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AP) -- The IOC says it is ''absolutely confident'' in Rio de Janeiro's preparations for the 2016 Olympics despite the temporary closure of the stadium that will host track and field events at the games.

Rio authorities said Tuesday they decided to shut the Joao Havelange Stadium because of structural problems with the roof.

International Olympic Committee spokesman Mark Adams says the IOC is ''in regular contact with Rio 2016.''

Adams tells The Associated Press ''there are still more than 3 1/2 years to go before the games and we are absolutely confident that they will deliver.''

Track and field's governing body said it is monitoring the situation.

IAAF spokesman Nick Davies told the AP ''we have noted this and will keep a very close eye on developments.''

Olympic organizers in Brazil said they have ''full confidence that the city of Rio de Janeiro will take the necessary measures to guarantee that the Olympic Stadium is ready'' for the games and test events.

AP

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ioc-backs-rio-olympic-preps-105606914--oly.html

Well, it's a pain for those who were meant to be going to football matches there soon. But this stadium is being reconfigured anyway for 2016. Just means it's a bigger job than they were ancipating. Storm in a teacup? No, it's embarrassing for Rio because this is a brand new stadium. But caught well in time to be fixed I think.

Hopefully this isn't an indication of building standards in general though.

Edited by RobH
  • Like 1

Well, it's a pain for those who were meant to be going to football matches there soon. But this stadium is being reconfigured anyway for 2016. Just means it's a bigger job than they were ancipating. Storm in a teacup? No, it's embarrassing for Rio. But caught well in time to be fixed I think.

yeah - they have caught it in time and should have time to fix it - if it was 6 months to go I would be worried!

The stadium was closed due to risk of collapsing. It is true that the stadium will be partially renovated/modified for the games, but those plans do not include a new roof (at least they didn't, now they do...).

It is a shame that such a new (and supposedly modern) stadium is already having problems. The stadium was built by either the city or the state of rio, right?

yeah - they have caught it in time and should have time to fix it - if it was 6 months to go I would be worried!

• Like 1

Yes, superficially talking, you guys are right to worry, and I do think it's a shame a stadium with 7 years of use presents this kind of problem.

Reading the news here in Brazil I got a clue of the problem. And it seems the office that projected the stadium did something really wrong in plan... There will be more news on JH Stadium this week, but the good side is Rio City Hall (owner of the stadium) will do all necessary works to guarantee no problem in the Olympics...

About "general way of building things in Brazil"... Maracana is still there 63 years after its construction and now go an entire structure modernization and a new roof, because the old one started to show problems....

Actually, watching this it looks quite scary. How do you fix that without rebuilding the roof?!!.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vRlmw2FPpQ4

good question, I don't see how to do it without rebuild all the roof...

Slowly losing all faith in Rio to stage a successful games. The more I hear, the more I wince.

Rio is a big city, and big cites have problems, you know that...

It will be lot more in the next 3 years...

What is up to Rio is to solve all of them to stage wonderful games. And, believe me, Rio is under transformation. If you could see Skyscrapercity Brazilian Forums, you'd be surprised.

^^ I totally agree with you.

I was answering Michelle not you.

She's skeptical because of bad news coming from Rio from times to times...

I imagine this will get worse in the next years, specially for those who buy/read information in the UK.

The damage which has forced the abrupt closure of Rio de Janeiro's Joao Havelange stadium is serious and it will take up to two months just to find a solution, engineers said on Wednesday.

The six-year-old arena, scheduled to host the athletics events at the 2016 Olympic games, was shut on Tuesday because of structural damage to the roof in a major embarrassment for Brazilian sporting authorities.

"We've received a report about the stadium and it did not come with any solutions attached," said Armando Queiroga, president of the city government's public works department RioUrbe.

"It's a serious problem and we can't forecast when it will open again. We need from 30 to 60 days to find the solution and after that we will have some perspective."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/03/27/us-olympics-brazil-stadium-idUSBRE92Q1AO20130327

A new roof is required and desired, that thing was hideous looking and now revealed to have hideous design integrity….not a huge shock given the inelegant and awkward bends. Here’s Brazils chance to show us how rich they have become, do something fabulous to make up for the structures sub-par past and befitting an Olympic Athletic Venue. This is an opportunity.

A bigger problem will be if additional integrity issues exist in other parts of the structure.

• Like 1

This is looking worse. It can be corrected, but one has to wonder if similar faulty techniques are being applied to the construction of other venues. Plus, Brazil is already pressed for time. How many unexpected major repairs can their schedule accommodate?

I'm not assuming the worst here, but this does raise questions.

How does this happen to a stadium less then 10 years old.

Obviously, the steel used in some of those girder was less than quality; miscalculation of the stresses on the whole set-up; and maybe the ground underneath has shifted causing those intricately balanced roof set-ups to shift and buckle? The condo complex I live in is on a rather low-grade hillside,but after 22 years, some of the bldgs have shifted, and we can see twisted posts in some of the balconies.

• Like 1

Typically in a structure of this stadiums scale elaborate studies would have predicted any issues and any necessary countermeasures would have been built into the design. That ribbon roof looks very suspect as well; it has a very odd undulation and looks just a bit wonky all over. And those suspension trusses are just insane, looks more like temporary rigging than something that was designed for a modern stadium.

…anybody notice that neighborhood around the stadium! :blink:

Pretty normal lower middle class neighbourhood in Latin America...

They are opening a new avenue near the stadium to open space for better access. A bridge was already built and inaugurated just in the side of the stadium to acess Yellow Line Highway.

I'm sorry that was a bit snarky, I've nothing against any class I just thought this area was more modern for some reason.

I know, it's a bit weird for those not used to "emerging countries" standards, but Engenho de Dentro neighbourhood is just a lower middle class area, which means, very dense place with small streets.

Here's a more technical explanation:

In the first technical reports, the roof displacement showed 20% higher than expected in the wind tunnel (about 18 cm). This occurred during construction, when they took the struts. Since then, after further measurements, the technicians in charge said the roof was stabilized and that the structure was safe, withstanding winds up to 115 km/h. As there are no tornadoes in Brazil, the stadium was opened. (This is the point that shows how Brazil changed. Before, the government waited tragedies to occur in order to take action). So they hired the german company SBP specializing in this type of structure. Further studies were made in the wind tunnel, using a different parameter of security, which showed larger displacement than the previous study (50%). In this new scenario, winds greater than 63 km/h can cause risks to the public. The company recommended the interdiction of the stadium until they made "preventive interventions" to restore recommended safety levels.
engenhao_documento_rep-8.jpg
^^^^
These "preventive interventions" were not detailed, but I doubt they have to rebuild the roof. Some columns or supports may solve the problem. Anyway there's time until 2016. After confederations cup, Maracana would return to be used by local clubs and João Havelange Stadium would be closed for renovation. I don't think the situation is so critical as was the problem with Montreal Olympic Stadium.
  • Like 1